Week Two College Football Viewing Guide

BigOrange1

Week one is (almost) behind us.  For week two, we only get two nights 

Friday, September 9th
Louisville (0-1) @ UCF (1-0) - 6:30, ESPN2
Louisville got their ass kicked by Syracuse and UCF stomped an FCS team to get their seasons started.  Louisville is working on buying a pretty nice recruiting class - will be interesting to see what happens there if the wheels fall off.  UCF is favored by 6.5.

Boise State (0-1) @ New Mexico (1-0) - 8:00, CBSSN
Boise did not look very good against Oregon State in their opener on Saturday night.  New Mexico is never any good.  This one only merits mention as it is one of two games taking place on Friday night.  Boise is favored by 17.

Saturday, September 10th
#1 Alabama (1-0) @ Texas (1-0) - 11:00, FOX
This is obviously the biggest game of the week for all of us.  I haven’t watched any of Bama’s season opening route of Utah State yet, but we all know what to expect with them.  My biggest want from this game as a Texas fan is that it remains competitive throughout and we come out of it healthy and optimistic about both the immediate and long-term future.  Bama is currently favored by 20.5.

South Carolina (1-0) @ #19 Arkansas (1-0) - 11:00, ESPN
Not gonna spend a lot of time on the other 11:00 games as none of us will be paying more than a passing attention to them at most, but Arkansas looked pretty good against Cincinnati and I think they’ll handle South Carolina here.  Arkansas is only favored by 7.5 and that feels low to me.

Appalachian State (0-1) @ #6 Texas A&M (1-0) - 2:30, ESPN2
A&M kept Sam Houston off the scoreboard and Appalachian State scored 40 points in the 4th quarter alone against UNC.  I’d think A&M will control the game, but it will be interesting to watch the App St. offense go against the A&M defense.  A&M is favored by 17.

Tennessee (1-0) @ #17 Pittsburgh (1-0) - 2:30, ABC
Pitt survived the backyard brawl on Thursday night, but I wasn’t overly impressed with them.  Bookmakers must not have been either as Tennessee is a 7 point road favorite.

#24 Houston (1-0) @ Texas Tech (1-0) - 3:00, FS1
I think this has the potential to be one of the more entertaining games of the day.  Houston barely survived UTSA in week 1 and it will be interesting to see how they come off of that game.  Tech did whatever they wanted in their season opener against Murray State.  Tech is a 2.5 point favorite.

Iowa State (1-0) @ Iowa (1-0) - 3:00, BTN
Iowa scored 7 points last week.  One FG and two safeties.  How incredibly uninspiring.  Yet it feels like they always beat Iowa State regardless.  As such, they are a 3.5 point favorite.  Might take them three or four safeties to be able to cover that.

#20 Kentucky (1-0) @ Florida (1-0) - 6:00, ESPN
Florida picked up a huge home win against Utah in Billy Napier’s debut.  Kentucky has come into this season with as much hype as I can ever remember for that program.  This should be a good one.  Florida is favored by 4.5.

Arizona State (1-0) @ #12 Oklahoma State (1-0) - 6:30, ESPN2
Oklahoma State let CMU back in the game after taking a 44-15 halftime lead.  Something makes me think they’ll maintain their level of focus for a full four quarters in this one.  They’re favored by 11.5.

#14 USC (1-0) @ Stanford (1-0) - 6:30, ABC
The Trojan debuts of Lincoln Riley, Caleb Williams, and Jordan Addison went about as you’d expect as USC put up 66 points in their opener.  However they are only favored by 9 on the road against Stanford.  That feels low to me.

#10 Baylor (1-0) @ #25 BYU (1-0) - 9:15, ESPN
Two future conference rivals square off in the late night showcase.  BYU is favored by 3.  Fuck Baylor.

Oregon State (1-0) @ Fresno State (1-0) - 9:30, CBSSN
This could be a sneaky competitive game.  OSU looked good against Boise in their opener and Fresno QB Jake Haener is one of the better QB’s that doesn’t really get a lot of hype nationally.  Fresno is favored by 1.

That’s it for week 2.  Let me know if I missed anything!

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 3

16 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

The Trojan debuts of Lincoln Riley, Caleb Williams, and Jordan Addison went about as you’d expect as USC put up 66 points in their opener.  However they are only favored by 9 on the road against Stanford.  That feels low to me.

What's your deal?  Stanford looking strong on offense. Little EJ Smith going to roll. 

Standord Stadium going to be rockin' three weeks before classes start!

Edited by The Original Greaser Bob
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

Appalachian State (0-1) @ #6 Texas A&M (1-0) - 2:30, ESPN2
A&M kept Sam Houston off the scoreboard and Appalachian State scored 40 points in the 4th quarter alone against UNC.  I’d think A&M will control the game, but it will be interesting to watch the App St. offense go against the A&M defense.  A&M is favored by 17.

1 hour ago, BigOrange1 said:

I think this has the potential to be one of the more entertaining games of the day.  Houston barely survived UTSA in week 1 and it will be interesting to see how they come off of that game.  Tech did whatever they wanted in their season opener against Murray State.  Tech is a 2.5 point favorite.

Apart from watching Texas and Alabama between my fingers like a 6-year-old watching a scary movie, these two games seem interesting to me.

Houston and Tech should just be fun to watch. App State should be a good test to see where A&M is. A legit top-tier team will handle them coming into town, but it just feels like that's the sort of game where A&M gets at least a good scare.

I can't wait to see how we hand Iowa this game on a silver platter.  I'm sure it will be new, creative, and sure to be memorialized in a GIF for posterity.  Can we top our own players running into each other to field a punt?  STAY TUNED.

The over/under on lawn chairs I smash or throw into a bonfire on Saturday is set at 1.5.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Stanford has won 4 of 5 in PA and that SC score was buoyed by 3 pick sixes.

I like SC but 9 feels right. Rice at home doesn't mean shit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

What's your deal?  Stanford looking strong on offense. Little EJ Smith going to roll. 

Standord Stadium going to be rockin' three weeks before classes start!

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

This is the maddening thing about quarter system universities.  Well, this, and being in school until June.

It's bad for their attendance and atmosphere, but it gives them an advantage that annoys the hell out of me.  Lately every time USC and Stanford play it's in week 2 or 3, before Stanford starts class, so while our guys have to play school and do homework and take tests while preparing to play Stanford their guys spend the entire week focusing solely on football.  I just checked to verify and not counting CCGs the last time USC and Stanford played past week 3 was in 2013, when Coach O led USC to a big upset over top 5 Stanford.

29 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Stanford has won 4 of 5 in PA and that SC score was buoyed by 3 pick sixes.

I like SC but 9 feels right. Rice at home doesn't mean shit. 

USC's defense is supposed to be a liability this year so I don't see why "3 pick sixes" is bad.  It's obviously not sustainable, but USC had 4 interceptions against Rice after getting 4 interceptions all of 2021 so if nothing else that's a clear improvement when it comes to havoc.  Anyways, I'd throw out USC's recent record in Palo Alto.  That's even less relevant than the outcome against Rice.  Saturday will be the first time since the 2000s Stanford doesn't have a decisive coaching advantage in this matchup.  USC also won't have questionable QB play like our last couple losses up there.  In 2016 the loss at Stanford was Max Browne's final start at QB (Darnold took over the following week).  In 2018 it was JT Daniels' first road start as a true freshman.  It's a safe assumption Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams will produce more than the combined 13 points those two QBs did at Stanford under Helton.

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

Arizona State (1-0) @ #12 Oklahoma State (1-0) - 6:30, ESPN2
Oklahoma State let CMU back in the game after taking a 44-15 halftime lead.  Something makes me think they’ll maintain their level of focus for a full four quarters in this one.  They’re favored by 11.5.

Big 12 version 3.1 matchup?

I'll remember to start drinking earlier this time.

We'll probably win, but I wouldn't lay the points.

22 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

20 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Apart from watching Texas and Alabama between my fingers like a 6-year-old watching a scary movie, these two games seem interesting to me.

Houston and Tech should just be fun to watch. App State should be a good test to see where A&M is. A legit top-tier team will handle them coming into town, but it just feels like that's the sort of game where A&M gets at least a good scare.

36 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

I think UH will be ready for Tech after that pitiful 2nd half last year.

Tech QB Tyler Shough will be out with a shoulder injury for a while. Looks like sophomore Donovan Smith will get the start. He went 2-2 last year replacing the injured Shough.

Smith played QB at Frenship as a HS senior, and was a WR and backup QB at Bishop Gorman in NV. I've no idea how good he really is.

13 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

Anyways, I'd throw out USC's recent record in Palo Alto. 

I like you to win and probably cover, but this is dumb. They've been a regular pain in your ass for 30 years now. You don't get to throw the series out the window because you like your new coach. 

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

It's bad for their attendance and atmosphere, but it gives them an advantage that annoys the hell out of me.  Lately every time USC and Stanford play it's in week 2 or 3, before Stanford starts class, so while our guys have to play school and do homework and take tests while preparing to play Stanford their guys spend the entire week focusing solely on football.

Pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of U$C players who aren't majoring in Football.

43 minutes ago, Trojan Man said:

USC's defense is supposed to be a liability this year so I don't see why "3 pick sixes" is bad.  It's obviously not sustainable, but USC had 4 interceptions against Rice after getting 4 interceptions all of 2021 so if nothing else that's a clear improvement when it comes to havoc.  Anyways, I'd throw out USC's recent record in Palo Alto.  That's even less relevant than the outcome against Rice.  Saturday will be the first time since the 2000s Stanford doesn't have a decisive coaching advantage in this matchup.  USC also won't have questionable QB play like our last couple losses up there.  In 2016 the loss at Stanford was Max Browne's final start at QB (Darnold took over the following week).  In 2018 it was JT Daniels' first road start as a true freshman.  It's a safe assumption Lincoln Riley and Caleb Williams will produce more than the combined 13 points those two QBs did at Stanford under Helton.

I think the Stanford D is going to be more helpful than Lincoln and Caleb when it comes to scoring USC points. 

I saw Stanford lose to K-State in Dallas last year and anything better than losing 33-14 is going to make me happy.

Although either way, I'll be in a generous mood, still basking in the Texas win earlier in the day. 

12 minutes ago, ztejas said:

I like you to win and probably cover, but this is dumb. They've been a regular pain in your ass for 30 years now. You don't get to throw the series out the window because you like your new coach. 

The last time I liked USC's head coach he went undefeated in Palo Alto.  Subpar coaching has been USC's biggest problem by far lately.  It's not unreasonable to expect the issues caused by that, such as scoring 3 points at Stanford, to alleviate after replacing Helton with Riley.  It's a night and day difference in how those two run the program, which translates to a night and day difference in results on the field.  Oregon State is the team Stanford was 5 years ago, that's the opponent that concerns me the most after Notre Dame and Utah.

10 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Pretty sure I could count on one hand the number of U$C players who aren't majoring in Football.

They're still spending more time in class this week than any of Stanford's players.  The two programs compete for a lot of the same recruits.  I won't pretend USC doesn't admit some guys that would have no chance at getting into Stanford and points certain players towards gut majors, but each team has a few players the other really wanted which implies either USC has some smart players too or Stanford is also willing to ease up a bit on admissions for the right talent.

4 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

I think the Stanford D is going to be more helpful than Lincoln and Caleb when it comes to scoring USC points. 

I saw Stanford lose to K-State in Dallas last year and anything better than losing 33-14 is going to make me happy.

Although either way, I'll be in a generous mood, still basking in the Texas win earlier in the day. 

As much as I'd love some upsets to disrupt the seemingly inevitable Alabama/Georgia title game I just don't see it happening this weekend.  Those two are on another level right now.

Just now, Upgrayedd said:

First time

You'll have a good time.

Weather looking slightly warm but nice overall. 

Check out the tailgate scene directly south of the stadium. Wear your ASU gear. You'll get offered tons of drinks.

If you feel like hitting bars, you probably want to go see Eskimo Joe's, though it's very crowded on game days.  George's Stables (right across the street from Joe's) is a fun on game days.

Also go check out "The Strip" (Washington Street), which about 4-5 block walk south and west of where Joe's is. There are several bars down there, with the most popular on game days being Murphy's.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Trojan Man said:

The last time I liked USC's head coach he went undefeated in Palo Alto.  Subpar coaching has been USC's biggest problem by far lately.  It's not unreasonable to expect the issues caused by that, such as scoring 3 points at Stanford, to alleviate after replacing Helton with Riley.  It's a night and day difference in how those two run the program, which translates to a night and day difference in results on the field.  Oregon State is the team Stanford was 5 years ago, that's the opponent that concerns me the most after Notre Dame and Utah.

They're still spending more time in class this week than any of Stanford's players.  The two programs compete for a lot of the same recruits.  I won't pretend USC doesn't admit some guys that would have no chance at getting into Stanford and points certain players towards gut majors, but each team has a few players the other really wanted which implies either USC has some smart players too or Stanford is also willing to ease up a bit on admissions for the right talent.

As much as I'd love some upsets to disrupt the seemingly inevitable Alabama/Georgia title game I just don't see it happening this weekend.  Those two are on another level right now.

spacer.png

• Haha 1