Job hunting

Macanudo

24 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

A friend of mine was an elementary school teacher for 20 years then tried construction manager (residential) before getting into GIS type work over 5 years ago. Want me to ask him about it? He is doing geospatial sales in Austin now according to his LinkedIn.

That would be awesome, thanks.

I interviewed for a company in Virginia that was trying to do a "uber but for drones" thing - connecting drone pilots with jobs. It looks like... actual Uber is maybe doing that now, and maybe they (droneup) are focusing more on last mile delivery. I dunno, but yeah it's a whole area.

7 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

off topic from job hunting but I've thought how there must be a growing need around GIS and on-demand drones. Whether its ranches wanting periodic fly bys of the fence lines or businesses using drones for security patrols. flamethrowers optional.  Feels like an untapped market.

The company I work for in the self storage space utilizes drones for deterrent level security for locations when on site security at night isn’t cheap/reliable. I can confirm that it is basically a write your own ticket pricing model where we’ve used it (New Orleans, Memphis, etc)

On 9/27/2023 at 8:15 AM, StassneyHorn said:

To us turds that have experience job hopping over the last 10 years. Just leave out your employer names. We can catch errors above like when you mean knowledgeable instead of knowledge. 

Here you go.    All three of my jobs since 2012 have been with the same company.  Formatting is all jacked up with just a copy/paste but you get the gist of it.

VALUE PROPOSITION       Visionary Employee Experience professional offering a wealth of experience designing and deploying training and talent development programs that provide effective business process changes. Trusted and respected advisor with a track record of building centralized change and performance management processes that improve employee productivity and program effectiveness.

CORE COMPETENCIES       Learning & Development | Change Management | Strategy Development | Training Programs

Leadership Development | Performance Management | Succession Planning | Automation

Professional Development | Team Management | Training & Coaching | Employee Benefits

CAREER HISTORY            

Learning & Development Manager                  10/2018 – 09/2023

Lead ~11 direct reports, including ~10 trainers and a business analyst.  

§ Increased employee retention by 15% within 12 months of role by restructuring enterprise-wide employee management program.

§ Bolstered 30/60/90-day new hire training by segmenting development and onboarding program into simplified engagements to ensure mastery before advancing to next module.

§ Bulit and implemented a standardized change management process for Learning and Development, QA, and business operations; expanded team from 4 legacy trainers focused on 4 divisions to designating L&D over 12 training areas.

§ Reduced new hire attrition by 25% within 18 months of promotion by redesigning onboarding and training module with improved manager interview skills and comprehensive training milestone expectations.

§ Introduced a centralized Leadership Toolkit and Support Group that streamlined manager and employee engagement while reducing attrition.

Compliance Services Manager                         06/2014 – 10/2018

§ Lifted team productivity by 15%; overhauled change management system and documentation restructuring checklist and quality assurance process to streamline tasks.

§ Generated a 20% decrease in customer escalations by mentoring and coaching employees and incorporating centralized talent management strategies.

§ Led Employee Engagement activities across the entire department, facilitating quarterly events and ad hoc celebrations around corporate milestones.

Senior Compliance Administrator                     01/2012 – 06/2014

§ Saved the company $500K annually by implementing a quality assurance and work review process that reduced compliance and regulatory errors.

§ Designed governance allowing strategic business partners to contribute additional assets for key employees. 

Prior Roles:  Operations Manager, Compliance Administrator

EDUCATION                          Bachelor of Arts in History | The University of Texas at Austin | Austin, TX

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Macanudo said:

Anyone work at KPMG?    I have a phone screen with the HR recruiter tomorrow morning.   I know a fair bit about them but any tips woul be appreciated.

From your posts you obviously aren't in accounting, so I assume it's for the consulting or some other business focus area of KPMG?

KPMG is the least prestigious of the Big 4, but still Big 4. They have a good culture. They actually just had RIF's 3-4 weeks ago in some of their technology practices. I don't and have never worked for them, but work with them a lot and have friends who have left there over the years.

Funny thing this thread pops up.  I'm looking for a job and as a 50 year old dude who always worked for companies that he had a part starting, it sucks in this new bot driven way resumes are screened.    It's funny that corporate America bitches and moans about not being able to find hardworking prospects, but the bots and resume screening software platforms don't even get some of those people past the bullshit auto generated email thanking you for your application, but we've decided to move on, blah, blah, blah.   Just complete Bullshit!   Something is to be said of the old days of mailing a resume or doing  drop in at their physical location.  

I was let go in August by the small  aggregate supply company I went to work for back in April.  The owner hired a Sales Manager who turned out to be a total fraud.  But before he  finally figured out what I and another former employee figured out from the day the clown took the job,  he fired us.   My BS detector went from smelling the BS to being hip deep in it with this guy within an a day of meeting him.   He had to clear us out, because he knew we didn't buy his BS and this is without me even saying a word that he was full of it.   Part of me is still a tad bitter, but I figured it was best for maybe to this to happen now instead of later because the Owner can't be the sharpest knife if he couldn't see what we saw.

I got some leads, but dang a I wish one would close and give me a chance now.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 hours ago, BeardIP said:

From your posts you obviously aren't in accounting, so I assume it's for the consulting or some other business focus area of KPMG?

KPMG is the least prestigious of the Big 4, but still Big 4. They have a good culture. They actually just had RIF's 3-4 weeks ago in some of their technology practices. I don't and have never worked for them, but work with them a lot and have friends who have left there over the years.

Correct, I'm not looking at the accounting side.  This position is with the Business Process Group.  It would delve into internal machinations and processes. 

Phone screen was promising but I know not to my hopes up after 15 months of hunting and far too many applications. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Funny thing this thread pops up.  I'm looking for a job and as a 50 year old dude who always worked for companies that he had a part starting, it sucks in this new bot driven way resumes are screened.    It's funny that corporate America bitches and moans about not being able to find hardworking prospects, but the bots and resume screening software platforms don't even get some of those people past the bullshit auto generated email thanking you for your application, but we've decided to move on, blah, blah, blah.   Just complete Bullshit!   Something is to be said of the old days of mailing a resume or doing  drop in at their physical location.  
I was let go in August by the small  aggregate supply company I went to work for back in April.  The owner hired a Sales Manager who turned out to be a total fraud.  But before he  finally figured out what I and another former employee figured out from the day the clown took the job,  he fired us.   My BS detector went from smelling the BS to being hip deep in it with this guy within an a day of meeting him.   He had to clear us out, because he knew we didn't buy his BS and this is without me even saying a word that he was full of it.   Part of me is still a tad bitter, but I figured it was best for maybe to this to happen now instead of later because the Owner can't be the sharpest knife if he couldn't see what we saw.
I got some leads, but dang a I wish one would close and give me a chance now.

Chat GPT is amazing for resumes

4 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Correct, I'm not looking at the accounting side.  This position is with the Business Process Group.  It would delve into internal machinations and processes. 

Phone screen was promising but I know not to my hopes up after 15 months of hunting and far too many applications. 

Interesting. The guy I know was based out of the Southeast who was supporting the Business Process Group who got laid off last month. I know some folks in internal audit and supply chain consulting and some BPM/Automation folks at KPMG, any specific questions you want me to proxy?

Where will this role be located? Assume remote so wherever you are? KPMG has a big footprint in Dallas where I am.

Oh and obligatory: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyw7eTvFAk-9eXPs5glin7TPNMvKZU5TTsYYbM_Fxdfg6kVooKTAwpKtaSSeKS_2-Ui70&usqp=CAU

21 hours ago, BeardIP said:

Interesting. The guy I know was based out of the Southeast who was supporting the Business Process Group who got laid off last month. I know some folks in internal audit and supply chain consulting and some BPM/Automation folks at KPMG, any specific questions you want me to proxy?

Where will this role be located? Assume remote so wherever you are? KPMG has a big footprint in Dallas where I am.

Oh and obligatory: 

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQyw7eTvFAk-9eXPs5glin7TPNMvKZU5TTsYYbM_Fxdfg6kVooKTAwpKtaSSeKS_2-Ui70&usqp=CAU

This is 100% remote.   

Questions I have that you might be able to get answered:

• How long has BPG been a thing at KPMG?
  • What did your friend do in BPG? 

36 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

This is 100% remote.   

Sure, I'll ask. Are you interviewing for the Digital Nexus Group? What is your role/title you are going for?

2 hours ago, Macanudo said:

This is 100% remote.   

Okay so, my buddy who is out of Atlanta was not in BPG. I got it confused, he was in Advisory in Business Process consulting. Mainly around SAP stuff it sounds like. He was part of the 5% corporate-wide RIF a couple of months ago.

He didn't know much about BPG except to say it was back office operations. So again, depending on the role and title you are gunning for, could be good or bad.

Edited by BeardIP

14 minutes ago, BeardIP said:

Okay so, my buddy who is out of Atlanta was not in BPG. I got it confused, he was in Advisory in Business Process consulting. Mainly around SAP stuff it sounds like. He was part of the 5% corporate-wide RIF a couple of months ago.

He didn't know much about BPG except to say it was back office operations. So again, depending on the role and title you are gunning for, could be good or bad.

Thanks for the intel.   The position is Associate Director, Learning Approach & Plan.   I don't now what department it lays within BPG but possibly Business Support Services.  

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Thanks for the intel.   The position is Associate Director, Learning Approach & Plan.   I don't now what department it lays within BPG but possibly Business Support Services.  

That makes a ton of sense. Associate Director is a middle management title there. Another of my buddies has been with KPMG for 10 years and, starting as an associate, just got a full Director title (in Advisory, though) about 2 years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, Macanudo said:

Just spoke to KPMG today and reminded me of this conversation. You get any further along with those guys? What's the process looking like (how many rounds, technical round or just qualitative rounds, final panel presentations, etc.)?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2023 at 3:58 PM, Macanudo said:

I assume you didn't end up pursuing the KPMG role? I read this article and thought of you: 

https://www.wsj.com/articles/that-plum-job-listing-may-just-be-a-ghost-3aafc794

Job hunting is dismal, and it’s only gotten worse. Unpaid, time-consuming assessments, fake postings, and interview ghosting are just a few of the components making the process absolutely miserable for candidates.

So it’s not shocking that some are turning to new, AI-powered services for help:

LazyApply’s Job GPT automatically applies to thousands of jobs across platforms like LinkedIn and ZipRecruiter with a single click (and a $250 annual fee for unlimited access).

Sonara charges up to $80/month to fill out as many as 420 applications; human staff members take over for AI when needed.

For $39/month, Massive fills out up to 50 AI-authored, human-reviewed applications per week.

Some services even offer AI-generated cover letters or messages to hiring managers.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

@Macanudo have you ever thought about sales/BD? It’s a good career. It’s easier to get fired which scares people away, but it’s also easier to get hired and makes more than other stuff because you’re on the good side of the balance sheet. 
You’re funny, you’re a little perverse, you seem to give a shit- that’s a recipe for success. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I assume you didn't end up pursuing the KPMG role? I read this article and thought of you: 

Job hunting is dismal, and it’s only gotten worse. Unpaid, time-consuming assessments, fake postings, and interview ghosting are just a few of the components making the process absolutely miserable for candidates.

So it’s not shocking that some are turning to new, AI-powered services for help:

LazyApply’s Job GPT automatically applies to thousands of jobs across platforms like LinkedIn and ZipRecruiter with a single click (and a $250 annual fee for unlimited access).

Sonara charges up to $80/month to fill out as many as 420 applications; human staff members take over for AI when needed.

For $39/month, Massive fills out up to 50 AI-authored, human-reviewed applications per week.

Some services even offer AI-generated cover letters or messages to hiring managers.

Job hunting these days sucks and corporate America is only going to further hurt itself by relying on the bots to weed out people and ghost postings.  Dare I say millions of people with experience, work ethic and stability are being passed  or (have been) over because the bots don’t pick up a key word or phrase in a resume.  And many of them are older folks who “are too old” to get hired according to the Einsteins who set strategy.

HR Departments across America should be carpet bombed and rebuilt with people with common sense and drive .  

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Nueces River Rat said:

Job hunting these days sucks and corporate America is only going to further hurt itself by relying on the bots to weed out people and ghost postings.  Dare I say millions of people with experience, work ethic and stability are being passed  or (have been) over because the bots don’t pick up a key word or phrase in a resume.  And many of them are older folks who “are too old” to get hired according to the Einsteins who set strategy.

HR Departments across America should be carpet bombed and rebuilt with people with common sense and drive .  

I think the hire to retire process is interesting and you hit on good points. I was sitting in on a panel yesterday about operational excellence in 2023 and beyond all the usual things discussed (AI, tech enabled efficiency, broad cost take out, supply chain resilience, etc.) the biggest takeaway was that organizations are understanding that they need to retain and hire well, and when they have folks in the door, they need to invest in retrain and upskilling more to keep them relevant. It’s an interesting discussion because ultimately it’s people that drive execution of strategy and what good is the strategy if you don’t have the right people?

• Hook 'Em 1

What Nueces said.   The whole process is just an utter mess.  I understand why companies like to promote from within because, for the most part, you know what you're getting.  The interview process doesn't always allow both the employer and the candidate to really get to know each other.   If there are multiple rounds of interviews it might be possible but there is a lot that can be missed.  

As for the KPMG thing...   I had the HR interview, it went well and she mentioned that she was going to recommend me to the hiring manager for the next step.   I sent a follow up thank you email that afternoon and then a follow up a week later and heard nothing.   That's not the first time I've had that happen but it's just incredibly poor form.   

I really don't want to go into sales.   I did something similar in the very distant past for a few years and just hated the cold calling.  

I had two more preliminary interviews this week.  I don't even know what to think any more about how well they might pan out.   Prior experience when I thought something went well and was a good fit has obviously not turned out that way.  I'm really leaning on my contacts and past associations as well as trying to figure out who the hiring manager or HR rep is and pining them.   Both of these interviews this week seemed to have happened because of that.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

What Nueces said.   The whole process is just an utter mess.  I understand why companies like to promote from within because, for the most part, you know what you're getting.  The interview process doesn't always allow both the employer and the candidate to really get to know each other.   If there are multiple rounds of interviews it might be possible but there is a lot that can be missed.  

As for the KPMG thing...   I had the HR interview, it went well and she mentioned that she was going to recommend me to the hiring manager for the next step.   I sent a follow up thank you email that afternoon and then a follow up a week later and heard nothing.   That's not the first time I've had that happen but it's just incredibly poor form.   

I really don't want to go into sales.   I did something similar in the very distant past for a few years and just hated the cold calling.  

I had two more preliminary interviews this week.  I don't even know what to think any more about how well they might pan out.   Prior experience when I thought something went well and was a good fit has obviously not turned out that way.  I'm really leaning on my contacts and past associations as well as trying to figure out who the hiring manager or HR rep is and pining them.   Both of these interviews this week seemed to have happened because of that.  

Are you seeing an uptick in recruiters pinging you on Linkedin? It was dry for a while (Nov '22 -> July '23) but since early fall and especially I'd say the last 6 weeks I'm getting hit up 2-3 times a week which to me is signaling Q4/Q1 hiring growth and a softening of the market again, which might bode well for you. Your role in enablement/training is a back office and operational excellence role so the softening of that particular market should be a fast follow to the client-facing stuff we are seeing picking up bigly now.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Macanudo said:

it's so bitchassed for hiring folks to do that. if they don't understand how much that sucks for people they are unqualified for their job and if they do understand and don't follow up anyways they are pieces of shit.

6 hours ago, BeardIP said:

I think the hire to retire process is interesting and you hit on good points. I was sitting in on a panel yesterday about operational excellence in 2023 and beyond all the usual things discussed (AI, tech enabled efficiency, broad cost take out, supply chain resilience, etc.) the biggest takeaway was that organizations are understanding that they need to retain and hire well, and when they have folks in the door, they need to invest in retrain and upskilling more to keep them relevant. It’s an interesting discussion because ultimately it’s people that drive execution of strategy and what good is the strategy if you don’t have the right people?

This is one of the most mind boggling aspects of the workplace in general.  Companies KNOW how much it costs to replace a departing employee and then train the replacement.   Treating employees better, upskilling, etc. is such a huge benefit all around for them.   They lose sight of that and then lament the costs to replace.  

As for recruiters, I have not seen anything like that on my end.   Within my overall field, recruiters tend to be looking for higher level HR people.   

Yes, it makes zero sense why the recruiters do that. There is no upside.

I know there are some recruiters on this forum, and no offense meant, but most of my experiences with them have been bad.

And they need to stop with the cold emails/calls that offer next to no valuable information, especially salary range. The other is the lack of understanding how large certain cities are. Great, the job is in Houston, but where in Houston because this bitch can take 1.5 hours to cross in traffic. I’m not trying to work in Baytown and live in Cypress.

Mac, I truly hope you find something soon. If not, let’s start a crime syndicate.
  • Hook 'Em 1

Are you seeing an uptick in recruiters pinging you on Linkedin? It was dry for a while (Nov '22 -> July '23) but since early fall and especially I'd say the last 6 weeks I'm getting hit up 2-3 times a week which to me is signaling Q4/Q1 hiring growth and a softening of the market again, which might bode well for you. Your role in enablement/training is a back office and operational excellence role so the softening of that particular market should be a fast follow to the client-facing stuff we are seeing picking up bigly now.

Has been my experience too. Was nothing from q3 2022 to q2 2023 but since then have had quite a few.

I know it would never happen because of republicans,  but damn…..

job hunting is so damn excruciating that the state you live in should have something where they pay you minimum wage or half of that an hour to actively apply for jobs. We make the process so damn excruciating. People are literally treated like shit for trying to better themselves and improve their lives. Companies should be ecstatic and flattered that people are applying to their jobs, but the world doesn’t work that way. In reality, job hunters are barely treated better than homeless people.

• Fuck You 1

On 11/9/2023 at 12:57 PM, BeardIP said:

Are you seeing an uptick in recruiters pinging you on Linkedin? It was dry for a while (Nov '22 -> July '23) but since early fall and especially I'd say the last 6 weeks I'm getting hit up 2-3 times a week ....

same here.  IT recruiters back to begging for interviews to hit numbers

On 11/8/2023 at 9:23 PM, BeardIP said:

My wife had a patient the other day who is guest speaking at Oxford about AI and Machine Learning in the job hunting space.

Her advice:

AI is nowhere NEAR good enough to do what employers are asking it to do with resumes.  All of the fancy, well-formatted resumes that people (like me) paid to have done for them confuse the fuck out of AI and it rejects qualified applicants and suggests unqualified ones all the time.  

Go back to basic as fuck resumes.  MS Word, Times New Roman, no bullet points even.  Just plain and simple.  

AI is fucking over both applicants and employers right now.  Yesterday, I applied for a job that I was essentially overqualified for in a field very specific to my last decade of experience.  I was auto-rejected in less than 12 hours.  

It's a complete fuck show.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, StassneyHorn said:

Lot of senior roles opening up at my employer if y’all want to shoot a DM if interested.

https://progyny.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/progyny

In my experience the past couple of months, it is ONLY senior roles available.  My theory is that employers are getting way too many unqualified applicants (thanks AI) and are trying to get "Senior" level applicants and pay them junior level salaries.

I am happy  to say I got an offer yesterday in Industrial tools (mainly oilfield)  sales and I accepted.    Ironically it was the only in person interview of maybe six I've done over the phone that got an offer and it might be actually sitting in hotel meeting room with the two managers had something to do with it instead of being screened by the first level HR folks.   I actually kept an  pre screening interview for this morning because I was curious about a few details I could only get by doing the screening  and it was one of these answer the questions via video response.    That was a waste of time and I would've said that even had I not taken the offer yesterday.  I felt like an idiot talking to myself.

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Biff Tannen said:

My wife had a patient the other day who is guest speaking at Oxford about AI and Machine Learning in the job hunting space.

Her advice:

AI is nowhere NEAR good enough to do what employers are asking it to do with resumes.  All of the fancy, well-formatted resumes that people (like me) paid to have done for them confuse the fuck out of AI and it rejects qualified applicants and suggests unqualified ones all the time.  

Go back to basic as fuck resumes.  MS Word, Times New Roman, no bullet points even.  Just plain and simple.  

AI is fucking over both applicants and employers right now.  Yesterday, I applied for a job that I was essentially overqualified for in a field very specific to my last decade of experience.  I was auto-rejected in less than 12 hours.  

I guess all of these resume experts on Linkedin  and Fiverr are going to have to adjust?     I had freelancer redo my resume I found on Fiverr.   He did an excellent job and it wasn't anywhere near the $500 or more the so called Linkedin experts , but got too  fancy with some stuff.   Fortunately my Sister has a friend who used to be a hiring manager at Haliburton  back in the day (now with a placement firm)  before all this AI crap look over the resume and he suggested some edits on my resume and boom I got some bites.

Her advice:

Lot of folks use AI and just take it w/o cross checking anything...fire and forget. It's not mature enough to work like that. Resumes, much like anything with AI still needs a humans touch to to review, ensure flow, accuracy etc.

5 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

and it was one of these answer the questions via video response.    That was a waste of time and I would've said that even had I not taken the offer yesterday.  I felt like an idiot talking to myself.

I did this awhile back. It was the worst interviewing experience ive ever had (but I haven’t had all that many). Anyhow, if everything is headed that way, I’m going to try and find my last spot at about 45.  Finish the last decade or so somewhere I don’t have to move again.  What a beating that was. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I've been using LinkedIn to determine a HR recruiter/hiring manager for the roles I'm applying too.   So far, it's yielded better results than anything else I've done:

• Reached out to a hiring manager and she put me in touch with the recruiter.   This is for a position I think I would really like (Employee Engagement Partner) with a consumer goods company that has a very good reputation.   Had a phone screen last week but haven't heard anything yet (positive or negative).  Hope that one works out.
  • A recruiter I got in touch with replied back and we spoke last week as well.   I have an interview with the hiring manager tomorrow.  This is with a smaller boutique consulting firm in a role pretty close to what I have been doing the last 5-7 years.  
  • I applied for another job with a company in the same space I have been in.  The recruiter advised the role had already been filled but that she would forward my resume to a different recruiter for a job that she thought might fit me.  I have a call with her tomorrow too.   

I'm still leaning hard on my work contacts and network.   That has been frustrating and has not yielded much.  

As to the senior roles being available but paying at more junior rate....   That is definitely happening.   I have noticed over the last 15 months that a lot of roles that were offered at X salary previously are now at X - 10% or even 15%.   I keep pretty detailed records of what I apply for, job title, industry, comp, etc. and that's very evident.  Hell, I applied for the same job 10 months apart at a competitor and the salary range was around 15% less the 2nd time.   Other positions all of sudden have much more in the way of required skills/length of experience for less money than other similar roles a year ago.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

I've been using LinkedIn to determine a HR recruiter/hiring manager for the roles I'm applying too.   So far, it's yielded better results than anything else I've done:

• Reached out to a hiring manager and she put me in touch with the recruiter.   This is for a position I think I would really like (Employee Engagement Partner) with a consumer goods company that has a very good reputation.   Had a phone screen last week but haven't heard anything yet (positive or negative).  Hope that one works out.
  • A recruiter I got in touch with replied back and we spoke last week as well.   I have an interview with the hiring manager tomorrow.  This is with a smaller boutique consulting firm in a role pretty close to what I have been doing the last 5-7 years.  
  • I applied for another job with a company in the same space I have been in.  The recruiter advised the role had already been filled but that she would forward my resume to a different recruiter for a job that she thought might fit me.  I have a call with her tomorrow too.   

I'm still leaning hard on my work contacts and network.   That has been frustrating and has not yielded much.  

As to the senior roles being available but paying at more junior rate....   That is definitely happening.   I have noticed over the last 15 months that a lot of roles that were offered at X salary previously are now at X - 10% or even 15%.   I keep pretty detailed records of what I apply for, job title, industry, comp, etc. and that's very evident.  Hell, I applied for the same job 10 months apart at a competitor and the salary range was around 15% less the 2nd time.   Other positions all of sudden have much more in the way of required skills/length of experience for less money than other similar roles a year ago.  

This worked for me too.  I wish I would’ve done this earlier in the game instead of later.   I also reached out to a Territory Manager in another region here in Texas for a job I was applying for and she got me in touch with HR.  I was kind of hesitate to do this, but I figured I have a person or two every day or so trying to contact me through LinkedIn messaging to try sell me on something , why not use it myself?   If an HR person  don’t want to be contracted, they shouldn’t have a profile on LinkedIn.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fattyflattie said:

I did this awhile back. It was the worst interviewing experience ive ever had (but I haven’t had all that many). Anyhow, if everything is headed that way, I’m going to try and find my last spot at about 45.  Finish the last decade or so somewhere I don’t have to move again.  What a beating that was. 

Same here.  Looks like I’m older that you (51).  Fortunately this job has management opportunities down the road and that’s what the district manager liked about my experience as I have 25 years experience in management for our now former family business. I’ve only been in sales for four years and some change now and I’m going to really use this new opportunity to refine my sales skills as they have a fantastic training platform vs the job I just left.   Anyhow I’d really like to make the jump to  sales management in this firm if it affords me and the location is right in four or five years and ride that out until I reach retirement age.  

Although this job search was short, it was exhausting and taxing on the mind.  My last job I was able to get through word of mouth and I didn’t even have to submit a resume, so I had no clue how the game was played today in corporate America.  And of course before that we owned our own business, so I didn’t need a resume, cover letters, etc .  When I did my first job search after college, it was career fairs, dropping by an actual location, or mailing a resumes.   Fortunately we started the  business a few months after I graduated , so that hunt was brief.   If I don’t ever have to job hunt again, I’d be satisfied.