Job hunting

Macanudo

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm jumping into this hellscape and I've been shooting out resumes to whatever I can on LinkedIn this morning.  Probably going to skip this one, based on this "description" which makes me want to stab out my eyes with my own dick that I've torn off, shellacked, and turned into a letter opener.

Corporate speak much?

My $0.02

No offense, but if that description rankles you, I'm wondering what it is exactly you are expecting and what your experience is in the corporate world. That all sounds pretty straight forward for a strategic account director or client executive role, right?

Also Monte Carlo is an interesting company (read: consultant speak for, not great but not garbage either) that I've been watching based on their VC raise and accolades (e.g they are a newly minted unicorn but not on the Cloud 100, etc.).

Personally, I actually don't like their market and am fatigued with Big Data cum Data XYZ (warehouse, observability, processing, etc. et al.) and especially think it's not a great time (and turning into an era) to try and grow revenue in a step function manner through the engineering and IT towers of an organization so that I'd be out just on that part alone, but if you are into it, there are way worse companies to take a gamble on as they offer better than market compensation and probably a pretty good chunk of RSU/equity still.

I think if you watch the Databricks IPO (which I assume will be a fast follow if Instacarts IPO is good next month) you'll get a good sense of whether or not this is a solid gamble for a 2 year investment of your time.

Edited by animaltobacco11

1 hour ago, animaltobacco11 said:

My $0.02

No offense, but if that description rankles you, I'm wondering what it is exactly you are expecting and what your experience is in the corporate world. That all sounds pretty straight forward for a strategic account director or client executive role, right?

Also Monte Carlo is an interesting company (read: consultant speak for, not great but not garbage either) that I've been watching based on their VC raise and accolades (e.g they are a newly minted unicorn but not on the Cloud 100, etc.).

Personally, I actually don't like their market and am fatigued with Big Data cum Data XYZ (warehouse, observability, processing, etc. et al.) and especially think it's not a great time (and turning into an era) to try and grow revenue in a step function manner through the engineering and IT towers of an organization so that I'd be out just on that part alone, but if you are into it, there are way worse companies to take a gamble on as they offer better than market compensation and probably a pretty good chunk of RSU/equity still.

I think if you watch the Databricks IPO (which I assume will be a fast follow if Instacarts IPO is good next month) you'll get a good sense of whether or not this is a solid gamble for a 2 year investment of your time.

Yeah, I'm more or less trying to get out of the corporate world, so that's why it rankles me.  This was just a random linkedin job that popped up.  I've had a weird year and am probably going to go find some local Austin company to work for and take a massive pay cut because the corporate world is just not worth it to me anymore.

Here is a hot stock tip from your friend George Costanza:

Hugging Face is hiring like crazy right now, and if you can get in, it's a pretty solid lottery ticket to 7 figures of equity vested over 4 years or at a liquidity event.

I heard from a friend they raised $450 from IBM this week, $200 from Salesforce last week, and they are about to explode.

• Hook 'Em 1

My daughter has been out of school and in her current role for 15 months and her current firm was fucking her over, froze all raises, layoffs, etc. plummeting morale.

She gets an unsolicited connect from an internal recruiter from a massive prestigious multinational (hq is Paris), 5 rounds of interviews, and a job offer at 2x previous salary within about 10 days. Resigned yesterday, starts her new gig in 2 weeks so she has some free time to go hang out at Wrigley which is her new evening go-to.

I gave her the typical dad advice; make sure you have all contact info (colleagues, network, vendors) that you will use in next job, expect to be cut loose immediately, small world, don’t do a victory lap, burn any bridges, etc. I told her to give 2 weeks but she gave 4 days; apparently notice is no longer considered a polite requirement.

To be fair, her company was exactly as described by former employees on Glassdoor.

Having had experience with 2 employers where I wanted to prance around the office and yell “take that bitches” after landing a prime new gig, I mentioned to be cool and humble and don’t rub it in, that a lot of coworkers will be hitting her up for a referral into a new role, and of course it was a matter of hours until the texts “take me with you” started rolling in.

All this to say that sometimes you’re the windshield, sometimes you’re the bug. I’ve been both, and probably will be again.

The only thing I can control is my attitude.

Here is a hot stock tip from your friend George Costanza:
Hugging Face is hiring like crazy right now, and if you can get in, it's a pretty solid lottery ticket to 7 figures of equity vested over 4 years or at a liquidity event.
I heard from a friend they raised $450 from IBM this week, $200 from Salesforce last week, and they are about to explode.

Can confirm IBM is onboard, big announcement with NASA last week.

18 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I've submitted more resumes than I care to remember that were such word salad that it was pathetic.   

I want to preface this with I've been rooting for you since day one and following and everytime you specifically bump this I'm hoping it's a good news update we can all celebrate.

And maybe it's exhaustion and frustration speaking, after all you are only a man, but have you considered that maybe it's that attitude which is subconsciously carrying over to how you are communicating in meetings that are closing doors? If you think these companies and jobs are stupid and you are better than them and it's "pathetic", but you are pinching your nose and applying anyways, why would you not think that might come across?

Again, there was nothing egregious about that job post. It was more than fine and did a good job of communicating the role and responsibilities using a limited amount of space. 

Maybe you and Biff should go be fly fishing instructors or reconstruct antique furniture or some other passion project if the normalized culture of sufficiently sized organizations bothers you that much?

• Fuck You 4

3 minutes ago, animaltobacco11 said:

I want to preface this with I've been rooting for you since day one and following and everytime you specifically bump this I'm hoping it's a good news update we can all celebrate.

And maybe it's exhaustion and frustration speaking, after all you are only a man, but have you considered that maybe it's that attitude which is subconsciously carrying over to how you are communicating in meetings that are closing doors? If you think these companies and jobs are stupid and you are better than them and it's "pathetic", but you are pinching your nose and applying anyways, why would you not think that might come across?

Again, there was nothing egregious about that job post. It was more than fine and did a good job of communicating the role and responsibilities using a limited amount of space. 

Maybe you and Biff should go be fly fishing instructors or reconstruct antique furniture or some other passion project if the normalized culture of sufficiently sized organizations bothers you that much?

You're an HR consultant some where, right?

On 8/30/2023 at 12:43 PM, animaltobacco11 said:

Poster above seems like one of those massive hypocrites who tells everyone to be “grateful for what they have and don’t worry about what other people have” when he probably lives in a mansion with luxury cars.

6 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

Poster above seems like one of those massive hypocrites who tells everyone to be “grateful for what they have and don’t worry about what other people have” when he probably lives in a mansion with luxury cars.

You absolutely should be grateful for what you have and don’t worry about what other people have. That’s like top 10 fundamental teachings to our kids.

9 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

That poster is awful and has been crowd sourced several times.  He should be completely ignored.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

First time reading through this thread and it’s been sobering/depressing.  Next to relationships ending, job hunting is my least favorite life experience.  

The last time I changed jobs 5 years ago, I made a move I thought would set me up for a good decade or more, moving into what I thought was a role that would give me extreme marketability (at least until AI replaces me 10-15 years from now).  As someone who has been a pretty good saver, I figured this might be my last job until early retirement.

I have a job that most people would kill for.  I’m fully remote, I have tons of control over my schedule, I don’t have any direct reports to deal with, my boss trusts me, and I make $150k+/yr with just a bachelor’s degree.  For the first 3 years, this current gig was the first real job I’ve ever had that I could legit say I really liked and felt lucky to have.  

But the last year and especially the last couple of months, I have been feeling burned out.  I think some of that is just my own personality, as it seems like I’ve gone thru a stage like this at every stop once I hit the 3-4 year mark.  Some of it is that I’ve gotten some really crummy clients in the last year that have been difficult to deal with and made the role more stressful and less fun.  But some of it I think is that I don’t have much more room to grow in this company and feel like I’ve maxed out here, and that I would be stupid to not have my resume updated and feelers out.  My job seems very secure but I’m in a sector that appears to be facing headwinds and I’m seeing plenty of folks in my role at other companies get laid off.

Reading this thread has me terrified that I’d be totally fucked if I got laid off.  My calling cards are that I’m very good with clients, I’m usually one of the most well-liked people at every job I’ve worked at, and I’m sharp enough to generally pick up whatever is asked of me pretty quickly; but I’m mid-40s and I am a highly paid individual contributor with limited technical expertise.  Reading this thread makes me feel like I’d be looking at a big pay cut if I have to make move.

So all that tldr is that I am feeling burned out after 5 years but am worried that my age has already started working against me and my skills aren’t in high demand despite an extremely low unemployment rate.  Is it stupid to just accept that without actually going through the motions of seeing what else it out there?  When does it make sense to update the old resume and start the absolute grind of looking for a new gig?

4 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

Reading this thread has me terrified that I’d be totally fucked if I got laid off.  My calling cards are that I’m very good with clients, I’m usually one of the most well-liked people at every job I’ve worked at, and I’m sharp enough to generally pick up whatever is asked of me pretty quickly; but I’m mid-40s and I am a highly paid individual contributor with limited technical expertise.  Reading this thread makes me feel like I’d be looking at a big pay cut if I have to make move.

So all that tldr is that I am feeling burned out after 5 years but am worried that my age has already started working against me and my skills aren’t in high demand despite an extremely low unemployment rate.  Is it stupid to just accept that without actually going through the motions of seeing what else it out there?  When does it make sense to update the old resume and start the absolute grind of looking for a new gig?

Try being 53.  Depending on the job, I leave off experience from before 2012 because then they can see that I'm not exactly a spring chicken.

2 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

Try being 53.  Depending on the job, I leave off experience from before 2012 because then they can see that I'm not exactly a spring chicken.

I can imagine.  50s seems to be the unemployed person’s no-man’s land.  Too early to retire but too late to be employable at any reasonable pay rate.  That’s one thing kind of freaking me out.  I am thinking wherever I work at 45 needs to be a pretty sure thing to carry me thru my 50s.

I feel for you man, keep grinding, somebody will realize what you’re bringing to the table and make the smart move to pay you what you’re worth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, Snake Diggity said:

I can imagine.  50s seems to be the unemployed person’s no-man’s land.  Too early to retire but too late to be employable at any reasonable pay rate.  That’s one thing kind of freaking me out.  I am thinking wherever I work at 45 needs to be a pretty sure thing to carry me thru my 50s.

I feel for you man, keep grinding, somebody will realize what you’re bringing to the table and make the smart move to pay you what you’re worth.

It sucks, but you appear to be right. In your mid 40’s you almost need something that can carry you to your mid 60’s. The job market hates olds.

On 9/4/2023 at 12:25 PM, Snake Diggity said:

First time reading through this thread and it’s been sobering/depressing.  Next to relationships ending, job hunting is my least favorite life experience.  

The last time I changed jobs 5 years ago, I made a move I thought would set me up for a good decade or more, moving into what I thought was a role that would give me extreme marketability (at least until AI replaces me 10-15 years from now).  As someone who has been a pretty good saver, I figured this might be my last job until early retirement.

I have a job that most people would kill for.  I’m fully remote, I have tons of control over my schedule, I don’t have any direct reports to deal with, my boss trusts me, and I make $150k+/yr with just a bachelor’s degree.  For the first 3 years, this current gig was the first real job I’ve ever had that I could legit say I really liked and felt lucky to have.  

But the last year and especially the last couple of months, I have been feeling burned out.  I think some of that is just my own personality, as it seems like I’ve gone thru a stage like this at every stop once I hit the 3-4 year mark.  Some of it is that I’ve gotten some really crummy clients in the last year that have been difficult to deal with and made the role more stressful and less fun.  But some of it I think is that I don’t have much more room to grow in this company and feel like I’ve maxed out here, and that I would be stupid to not have my resume updated and feelers out.  My job seems very secure but I’m in a sector that appears to be facing headwinds and I’m seeing plenty of folks in my role at other companies get laid off.

I have my doubts that 45 is considered a bad age and would hinder you in a job search. Most 45 year olds are still decently healthy. 50 is where it gets bad.

10 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

It sucks, but you appear to be right. In your mid 40’s you almost need something that can carry you to your mid 60’s. The job market hates olds.

The way it should logically work is that it should be relatively difficult for people under 30 to find a “dream” job due to lack of experience, and difficult for people over 60 due to salary expectations and narrower fits (and potentially a decline in skill), but ages 30-60 are the prime working years for “white collar” workers and workers in that stage of life should be in very high demand.  I am only 43 and I have definitely seen the worm turn in terms of how I am viewed in the job market.  I’m no longer the moldable, trainable up and comer, which feels very odd and a little sad.  I suspect that workers with a lot of technical expertise or management experience probably find an easier time of it in their 40s, but regrettably that’s not my situation.  It’s a shame that individual contributors without technical expertise who are in their 40s and 50s who are not experiencing any real cognitive decline are being treated like they are ready to be put out to pasture and finding it hard to get a good job that matches their skills and experience.

Edited by Snake Diggity
  • Rage+1 1

On 9/4/2023 at 12:25 PM, Snake Diggity said:

It's football season and I'll use a Sark quote: Be where your feet are. 

I'm in my 50's and left my job voluntarily  in 2021. New CEO was bringing his people in, I had philosophical differences with his approach and after 16 years there, I put my letter in. Took some time off, traveled, came back and thought I wouldn't have a problem finding a job. Have my MBA, long consistent work history, hit my numbers, good annual reviews, etc. It's now almost 2 years and still haven't landed a job. Lots of interviews...no offers. It's tough out there for the old goats. 

Yeah, some days really suck, even when you have a good job. I get it. But you have a job...(see quote).

Now, if what you're feeling is that you need something new, then start the search now. Life is short and you don't want to be at home, refreshing your email or staring at your phone waiting for a call. Trust me on that. 

I always told my staff you can make 3 choices: 1) the right choice, 2) the wrong choice and 3) no choice. The right choice is the best, the wrong choice is the second best (at least you learn or gain experience from it), and the worst choice is no choice. You gain nothing from it. 

Point: keep moving forward. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Voldemort86 said:

This thread planted that pretty solidly into my mind a few pages back.  I’ve never had a days lapse since I graduated, even in O&G.  But I’ve made a cognizant effort to keep in mind, the next move (I’m 40) should probably be the last.   Plan has always been to travel again (contract) once the kids are out of the house, but that doesn’t jive with what the last few pages has taught me.  The market can certainly turn over the next 15+ years though. 

If you’re worried about someone not wanting you because you’re 45 or even 55, don’t tell them.  Set your resume like you’re 10 years younger. For many roles no one cares if you have anything more than 10-15 years experience.  And hopefully your most recent experience is the most relevant and impressive.

if you’re 50 and basically got out of college in ‘95, don’t reference any job before 2005. Sell yourself as 40 with ~15 years of work experience. And they can’t ask you what year you graduated high school or college since that can be used to assume your age.

use age discrimination laws to your advantage. I wouldn’t lie but just don’t volunteer info.
giphy.gif

Edit: if you’re 50 but look 60, my advice might not work.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

That is a poster who wants to send his kids to Baylor for the culture of the institution.

I rest my case.
  • Like 1

On 9/4/2023 at 5:08 PM, Snake Diggity said:

Lurked for a while on everything labor market related and your post piqued my interest. Let me throw a hypothetical at you and see what you think.

If you had the option to purchase salary insurance while currently employed but as a hedge to an upcoming disruption to the job markets? 

The way it would work is let's say you currently work in accounting, have a title of XYZ, and make $250k after 20+ years of experience, great results and good work ethic.

Due to the onslaught of A.I. and automation and other technological shifts, you foresee a world where you are at risk of being laid off or demoted and that your $250k job of doing XYZ will be eroded to the point where maybe you can only command $200k moving forward. The downward pressure on the role is impacted sector-wide.

You are in no man's land. Too young to retire and similarly too old to re-invent yourself and start the ladder climbing over to make the money you've been making and reasonably expected to make before the entire knowledge worker segment got devalued seemingly overnight by technology. With the increased investment in technological tools that are smarter and faster than they've ever been, companies can get away with paying a younger person a smaller piece of the pie than you were being paid. The corporation doesn't see you as a strategic value and thus your compensation is eroded accordingly.

That's the doomsday scenario, but you were prescient enough to pay a low monthly premium while you had the $250k job that allows for a $50k one-time benefit to be paid out when/if the above scenario occurs, thus allowing you to maintain your lifestyle, debt obligations and savings without disruption for at least an extra year.

Would this be something of interest to you? Not Life Insurance, but Living Insurance, and like Life Insurance a low cost hedge against future unknowns and fears that you buy when you are career-healthy and don't yet need it.

Sorry for the field marketing request dump here but I've been working on something for a while and wanted to get you and the boards feedback as the demographic is largely 30-60 year old men with white collar jobs.

8 hours ago, RubyManJack said:

Lurked for a while on everything labor market related and your post piqued my interest. Let me throw a hypothetical at you and see what you think.

If you had the option to purchase salary insurance while currently employed but as a hedge to an upcoming disruption to the job markets? 

The way it would work is let's say you currently work in accounting, have a title of XYZ, and make $250k after 20+ years of experience, great results and good work ethic.

Due to the onslaught of A.I. and automation and other technological shifts, you foresee a world where you are at risk of being laid off or demoted and that your $250k job of doing XYZ will be eroded to the point where maybe you can only command $200k moving forward. The downward pressure on the role is impacted sector-wide.

You are in no man's land. Too young to retire and similarly too old to re-invent yourself and start the ladder climbing over to make the money you've been making and reasonably expected to make before the entire knowledge worker segment got devalued seemingly overnight by technology. With the increased investment in technological tools that are smarter and faster than they've ever been, companies can get away with paying a younger person a smaller piece of the pie than you were being paid. The corporation doesn't see you as a strategic value and thus your compensation is eroded accordingly.

That's the doomsday scenario, but you were prescient enough to pay a low monthly premium while you had the $250k job that allows for a $50k one-time benefit to be paid out when/if the above scenario occurs, thus allowing you to maintain your lifestyle, debt obligations and savings without disruption for at least an extra year.

Would this be something of interest to you? Not Life Insurance, but Living Insurance, and like Life Insurance a low cost hedge against future unknowns and fears that you buy when you are career-healthy and don't yet need it.

Sorry for the field marketing request dump here but I've been working on something for a while and wanted to get you and the boards feedback as the demographic is largely 30-60 year old men with white collar jobs.

I cannot answer that question without knowing how much the premium would be.  I have never considered it but I am assuming you’re just describing supplemental unemployment insurance.  I would be interested in that for the right price.

I think Mac needs to go learn some technology - get some certs and weasel his way into something.

I had a friend that recently retired from teaching at 50 (high school art)- went and got some technology certs and got hired pretty quick.

I think Mac needs to go learn some technology - get some certs and weasel his way into something.

I had a friend that recently retired from teaching at 50 (high school art)- went and got some technology certs and got hired pretty quick.

On 9/7/2023 at 11:24 AM, Handcruser said:

advice so good, it needs to be repeated

My last day Corebridge was today.   Shipped my laptop back to them this evening. 

• 11 years and 8 months with the same company.   
  • Three corporate rebrandings during that time.
  • 5 jobs and 4 promotions.  
  • 306 other jobs applied for since August of 2022.
  • 8 interviews so far.

The depressing thing about those application/interview numbers is that from what I hear from my HR friends, those numbers are fairly normal.  Not quite a 3% hit rate.   

I'm looking forward to Monday though.   I'm going to start my day like I always do by taking the dog for a walk.   Then I'll log onto my personal laptop and do a little surfing with some job hunting.   Then, after lunch, I'll take a nap.   Sure is a good thing I stopped drinking last year.  I'm sure that would be a great way to be unemployed.

Depending on how I budget, my severance would cover expenses until May or June of next year.   But it would be primo to find something before the end of the year.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

My last day Corebridge was today.   Shipped my laptop back to them this evening. 

• 8 interviews so far.

The depressing thing about those application/interview numbers is that from what I hear from my HR friends, those numbers are fairly normal.  Not quite a 3% hit rate.   

I'm looking forward to Monday though.   I'm going to start my day like I always do by taking the dog for a walk.   Then I'll log onto my personal laptop and do a little surfing with some job hunting.   Then, after lunch, I'll take a nap.   Sure is a good thing I stopped drinking last year.  I'm sure that would be a great way to be unemployed.

Depending on how I budget, my severance would cover expenses until May or June of next year.   But it would be primo to find something before the end of the year.  

Sorry to hear that man.  I have been following this quietly.  Layoffs really suck and right now isn’t a great time to be looking, except a few really specialized professional specialties.

Keep after it and hook ‘em.

• 8 interviews so far.

Hang in there man.

If I had to give any advice, I’d tell you to go work somewhere that you would love - music store, boat dealership, whatever. Go be around shit you love to talk about. I did this during covid and it lead to a complete career shift - out of tech and into the gun business.

Started at Academy because I was in there every day and the manager just asked “why don’t you just work here and get 20% off?” I wasn’t doing anything so I just did it for fun.

That led to 3-4 jobs at a time over 3 years, usually 7 days a week - but it led me to where I am now which is the tits.
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Hang in there man.

If I had to give any advice, I’d tell you to go work somewhere that you would love - music store, boat dealership, whatever. Go be around shit you love to talk about. I did this during covid and it lead to a complete career shift - out of tech and into the gun business.

Started at Academy because I was in there every day and the manager just asked “why don’t you just work here and get 20% off?” I wasn’t doing anything so I just did it for fun.

That led to 3-4 jobs at a time over 3 years, usually 7 days a week - but it led me to where I am now which is the tits.

@Macanudo this is interesting advice to pass the time and make a few dollars while you keep looking for something else. I would also speak to recruiters from staffing firms in your line of work. The work may be inconsistent, part-time, or perhaps not your ideal choice but it’s money. And if you don’t want to list any of this work on a resume, then don’t.

In the past I took a 1099 project role at a firm/industry that I had given no thought to in the past. Was supposed to last 3-4 months. Ended up loving it and still there as W2 seven years later.

[mention=1243]Macanudo[/mention] this is interesting advice to pass the time and make a few dollars while you keep looking for something else. I would also speak to recruiters from staffing firms in your line of work. The work may be inconsistent, part-time, or perhaps not your ideal choice but it’s money. And if you don’t want to list any of this work on a resume, then don’t.
In the past I took a 1099 project role at a firm/industry that I had given no thought to in the past. Was supposed to last 3-4 months. Ended up loving it and still there as W2 seven years later.

I actually met some people along the way in tech that I had really good convos with that might have led to a job, but at that point I wanted to go in a different direction so I didn’t pursue.

Go sell guitars. Go lug plants around at a nursery. Put yourself in a position to talk to people and it will become a force multiplier. I promise.
  • Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

@Macanudo this is interesting advice to pass the time and make a few dollars while you keep looking for something else. I would also speak to recruiters from staffing firms in your line of work. The work may be inconsistent, part-time, or perhaps not your ideal choice but it’s money. And if you don’t want to list any of this work on a resume, then don’t.

I will definitely look at contract work and the idea of just going to Academy and selling guns or shoes or whatever does sound appealing.   But not with kids in college and one more to go.

I will definitely look at contract work and the idea of just going to Academy and selling guns or shoes or whatever does sound appealing.   But not with kids in college and one more to go.

Right - it’s not long term but 1) puts you in the position of doing something while making a little money and 2) puts you in the position to talk to people and increase the number of convo’s you have.

I mean, I talked to probably 8+ people that were in the security business (mainly products but whatever) and we had some really good conversations that ended up with us connecting on LinkedIn. Oh - I actually did have an interview, forgot about that one.

I’ve been following this thread for a long time. I’ve noticed a lot of older peers have had difficulty finding other jobs for a long time. In some cases they are employed but hate their company/job. Others are out of work. Ageism is real. 

To generate some good karma, I’d be happy to look at resumes from people on here who’ve been looking a long time. I’m semi-retired but ran companies for many years. I don’t know if I can offer any advice of value, but thought I’d offer. DM me.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Handcruser said:

Hang in there man.

THis is good advice

16 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

THis is good advice

I have a trip on the calendar for two weeks from now (going to Sedona ).  When I get back, I'm going to the Ace Hardware here in town and seeing if I can pick up some part time work helping on the floor.   It would be something to do and some grocery/utility money in my pocket.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Macanudo said:

I have a trip on the calendar for two weeks from now (going to Sedona ).  When I get back, I'm going to the Ace Hardware here in town and seeing if I can pick up some part time work helping on the floor.   It would be something to do and some grocery/utility money in my pocket.  

I'm going to be more or less unemployed at the end of October. I may go back to bartending or barback until I find a EVP/SVP job. It's good to have a reason to put pants on man. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't want to start a whole thread on this, but just wanted to throw it out and see if anyone has any relevant info.

I'm considering switching careers and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) has been on my radar for a few years.  I was a history major in college and have worked in the music industry and now account management in corporate america for the past decade, so I have essentially zero experience in GIS.

I was going to start with an intro class at ACC and maybe a level one certificate, but am just curious if anyone here works or has worked in this realm.  I know it can be utilized in a wide variety of industries (part of the appeal to me), so just trying to get any info I can around qualifications, degree requirements, etc.

Didn't want to start a whole thread on this, but just wanted to throw it out and see if anyone has any relevant info.
I'm considering switching careers and GIS (Geographic Information Systems) has been on my radar for a few years.  I was a history major in college and have worked in the music industry and now account management in corporate america for the past decade, so I have essentially zero experience in GIS.
I was going to start with an intro class at ACC and maybe a level one certificate, but am just curious if anyone here works or has worked in this realm.  I know it can be utilized in a wide variety of industries (part of the appeal to me), so just trying to get any info I can around qualifications, degree requirements, etc.

A friend of mine was an elementary school teacher for 20 years then tried construction manager (residential) before getting into GIS type work over 5 years ago. Want me to ask him about it? He is doing geospatial sales in Austin now according to his LinkedIn.