College Football is dead

GreenspointTexas

45 minutes ago, RoyalBevo21 said:

I've seen this game referenced a lot. I'm gonna see if I can find it on YouTube. Do you know the year? 

And can anyone give a recap? 

November 1992.  As I recall, the refs made bogus calls against Texas to allow Baylor to drive to score and win the game 21-20.  Recall the announcers thought some of the calls against Texas were highly questionable at best.  Refs seemed to be going out way of their to get Teaff his final home game win.  I placed it as #1 ref fuck Texas job until the Oklahoma State game a few years ago which replaced it.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 hours ago, mdmost said:

Facemask to helmet is not targeting. Agent Zero pulled up and lifted his helmet up to not lower his crown into Frank's helmet. That will easily be overturned when Texas sends in the tape. The fact that refs can review that and still say it was targeting is total bullshit. Then Card takes a late hit while sliding and nothing is thrown. It's all performative bullshit. 

and the OOB shove on Sanders. 

• Hook 'Em 2

I don't think a call, ever, should be initiated by the booth.

Like someone mentioned upthread, if it's not called on the field, it's not called.

I do think there is a place for targeting in the game, it's just the ridiculous inconsistencies/interpretations of it.

Overshown= Not targeting.  

ND LB - Cal receiver- textbook targeting.

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Tylerocks said:

Like someone mentioned upthread, if it's not called on the field, it's not called.

I do think there is a place for targeting in the game, it's just the ridiculous inconsistencies/interpretations of it.

The must puzzling part to me was the booth buzzed down to review the sack pretty fast but almost didn’t bother to review the non-catch TD call. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As mentioned so many times before, how did they not even call or look at the egregious hit to the helmet on Card Texas last drive of the game? These refs were somehow worse than last week. How long do we have to keep getting fucked by these calls? It's bullshit. I believe there was a flag on that play of some sort but it was picked up??

• Hook 'Em 1

The suspension is the biggest problem.  Put it this way you can call a ref a cocksucker twice before you get kicked out of the game and then you get to come back the next week but Overshown probably sits the first half of Tech....that don't make no fucking sense.   The way the offense has no culpability in many of these calls is also a problem.  Guys routinely lower their head to deliver a blow, duck under a tackle, slide at the last minute etc and the defender is the only one responsible for the cleanness of the play.  Then obviously the interpretation fuckery which is only magnified by the suspension issue.  

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The refs killed it.

the no call safety last week. The bullshit targeting this week. The no call hit on Card after he slid

i cant take it anymore

I saw about 3 hits on UT players after they were already 5 yards out of bounds (beyond the white).  What?  Were these SEC refs?  If they were Big 12, CDC needs to talk to the commissioner about this crew.

13 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The refs killed it.

the no call safety last week. The bullshit targeting this week. The no call hit on Card after he slid

i cant take it anymore

I saw about 3 hits on UT players after they were already 5 yards out of bounds (beyond the white).  What?  Were these SEC refs?  If they were Big 12, CDC needs to talk to the commissioner about this crew.

Maybe even President Hartzell.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Sawbonz said:

I hate the sliding rule the most. There should be a 2 yard halo where if the defender is within it you can’t slide. Would stop all the fake slide and run bullshit too. 

I hate the slide rule.  People used to just go down. When you're down, you can't get hit.

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

Overshown tackled him about the best way he could have.  There weren't a lot of options for him because he came up the middle full speed and Wilson was close to the line.  He didn't have time to pull up or have the room for a shoulder tackle.  It was pretty much unavoidable that there would be face mask contact.   If the Big XII didn't hate Texas, I would say it's a no brainer that the suspension would be lifted.

It was a classic tackle.  He didn't do any of the things that the targeting rule is trying to stop.  Face to face classic tackle.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

I have seen a couple of flagrant targetings that the refs missed.  There's an argument that it shouldn't be initiated, but I don't have a problem with it.  But it should be like everything else, clear, undisputable evidence.

59 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The must puzzling part to me was the booth buzzed down to review the sack pretty fast but almost didn’t bother to review the non-catch TD call. 

I was screaming at Sark through the TV to call timeout!

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tylerocks said:

utsa had a td taken off the board by a buzzdown less than a second before the pat snap due the receiver not controlling the ball 100% as he went to ground

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Incredulity said:

Spearing is to any point on the body.  Crown of the helmet contact without arms.

Honestly, I can’t think of ever seeing it called in the thousands(?) of games I have watched in my life.

I might be dating myself but I remember Anthony Dickerson absolutely destroying a poor, defenseless NY Giants' punt returner back in the early 80's. He was called for spearing IIRC.

• Hook 'Em 1

I agree with everyone in the first world that the penalty sucks. Should be like the NBA with a regular foul in most cases where yards are applied but the player stays in and a flagrant foul where the player is kicked out because of intent. The carrying over to the next game should only be applied to repeat offenders.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, kevwun said:

Overshown tackled him about the best way he could have.  There weren't a lot of options for him because he came up the middle full speed and Wilson was close to the line.  He didn't have time to pull up or have the room for a shoulder tackle.  It was pretty much unavoidable that there would be face mask contact.   If the Big XII didn't hate Texas, I would say it's a no brainer that the suspension would be lifted.

Big 12: "After further examination, we've suspended him for a full game."

4 hours ago, bullet said:

Maybe even President Hartzell.

"We're leaving next year and not paying the buyout since your officials can't guarantee the safety of our players "

• Hook 'Em 1

13 minutes ago, StruggleBus said:

College football is a second rate product and it has nothing to do with the refs. I do still enjoy watching though. 

Meh. You can poke holes into every sport as being "second rate" or whatever the flavor of day is or whatever side of the bed you wake up on.

There is no sport that captures traditions, rivalries, incredible stadium environments, intense hatred, clashes of cultures and so much more. 

Nothing like it in the world of sports.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

Put it this way you can call a ref a cocksucker twice before you get kicked out of the game and then you get to come back the next week but Overshown probably sits the first half of Tech....that don't make no fucking sense.

This is OT, but I can't help it. You used that word and I love this movie:

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wally Pryor said:

Meh. You can poke holes into every sport as being "second rate" or whatever the flavor of day is or whatever side of the bed you wake up on.

There is no sport that captures traditions, rivalries, incredible stadium environments, intense hatred, clashes of cultures and so much more. 

Nothing like it in the world of sports.  

Traditions and rivalries mean less now than they ever have.