2018 College World Series

sidis

7 hours ago, msudawg said:

What a win... these guys are just damn good. It's crazy. and I'm loving the damn ride. 

Henderson might play his way into being the Head Coach.. if he wants it.. 

If he wins it all aggy will $$$ whip him and he'll join jumbo. Aggy likes them some national championship coaches.

19 hours ago, Don Johnson said:

Him winning continues to make this so awkward.  I think it also hurts them with candidates.

It's an intriguing thing.. Unless he wins a National Championship and then retires.  He has in a round about way said he would like to keep coaching.. but never publicly come straight out to say it. Noone including John expected this run. We have now reached the final 4 of the CWS. We have only done that twice in our history. 1985 when yall drilled a ball off Gene Morgan's leg and we fell apart.. Then in 2013 when our AD John Cohen took us to the Finals. 

I don't think we can just replace him anymore without it being akward on the team. My most important thing though is keeping Jake Gautreau. I don't think he is ready to be a head coach yet So he is sure someone we would love to keep on staff instead of losing in getting a new coach. 

Unless John can somehow still pull one of the top 5 type coaches in America.... I think we keep the cards we have at this time. 

32 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

The stakes for this TT-Arkansas game are so high.

Loser will have to play 4 games in 4 days to advance (maybe even 4 in 3 days due to weather).  And the 2nd of those 4 would be the #1 seed.

Winner sits pretty.

3 games.  One against Fla and 2 more against Today’s winner, should it go that way

41 minutes ago, Don Johnson said:

The stakes for this TT-Arkansas game are so high.

Loser will have to play 4 games in 4 days to advance (maybe even 4 in 3 days due to weather).  And the 2nd of those 4 would be the #1 seed.

Winner sits pretty.

They're even higher than that for the Red Raiders.

Since 1940, only three Power 5 schools have failed to do at least one of the following:

1. Finish in the final Top 4 of the college football polls before the CFP or make the CFP once it began.
  2. Reach the Final Four in basketball.
  3. Be one of the final four teams in the baseball tournament.

Those three schools are Northwestern, Texas A&M, and Texas Tech. With a win in just one of their next two games the Red Raiders can remove themselves from this list.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, slorch said:

3 games.  One against Fla and 2 more against Today’s winner, should it go that way

Correct.  But because last night's game is today, for the loser to advance they would have to play four games in four days (Wed, Thurs, Fri, Sat).  That's a major strain on a staff that is avoided during a typical Omaha schedule.

Edited by Don Johnson

If I'm honest, I probably won't watch anymore CWS this month.  I'm a loyal and passionate college baseball fan, but just too much World Cup and summer fun to be had this coming week to waste it on watching Omaha.  But I will actively root for UNC to win it all, because sadly...it's literally the only school left in the field that actually is a college with student athletes that are actually in college.  

2 minutes ago, Lobo said:

If I'm honest, I probably won't watch anymore CWS this month.  I'm a loyal and passionate college baseball fan, but just too much World Cup and summer fun to be had this coming week to waste it on watching Omaha.  But I will actively root for UNC to win it all, because sadly...it's literally the only school left in the field that actually is a college with student athletes that are actually in college.  

UNC ??? -  UNC report finds 18 years of academic fraud to keep athletes playing  

1 minute ago, Loco said:

Yeah, they've got bad eggs. But the University of NOrth Carolina is a top-flight public school.  Just by virtue of accidental osmosis, their players are getting an education light years ahead of every other school left in the tourney (admittedly, Florida is a good school.....clearly a distant but respectable second in the SEC after Vandy).  But fraud aside, UNC is a real school.  Most SEC fans think that "University of (STATE NAME)" or (STATE) state University are all about the same.  They don't realize that most flagship universities in most U.S. States are jokes.  They are glamorized junior colleges.  Only a handful of public universities are legitimate educational institutions.  UNC is one of them.  FLorida is another, but they're in the SEC.  Oregon State isn't embarrassing and has a clean record, so maybe that's the school to cheer for.  But Mississippi State, Arkansas, Texas Tech.  Those really aren't colleges.  If we're honest.  

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

First, UNC is dirty in basketball. Second, most every baseball team has real student athletes and most are on partial schollies. It isnt typically a revenue generating sport. 

I realize that.  Baseball isn't revenue generating pretty much anywhere.  And I'll even grant you that most are student athletes paying most of their way.  

But the schools they attend aren't proper colleges.  They're glorified community colleges.  Most schools in the NCAA tourney in baseball aren't fucking universities.  Only in name.