2018 College World Series

sidis

51 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

That play was not routine. Should it have been made? Of course, but it was not routine. Fairly certain you weren’t watching. 

Agree, not routine but one that all 3 of those guys will have nightmares about for the rest of their lives if they don't win tonight. 

7 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

i rarely watch college ball but that play showed the difference between MLB and NCAA. I think the Majors make that play. 

I disagree. There are plenty of examples of MLB players letting a foul ball (or even a fair ball) drop in front of two or three players. 

All that said, that is the RF ball 100%, followed by 2nd and 1st. Any of them could have made the catch but pretty clear the RF should have called them all off.

5 minutes ago, JimmyHoffa said:

Agree, not routine but one that all 3 of those guys will have nightmares about for the rest of their lives if they don't win tonight. 

I disagree. There are plenty of examples of MLB players letting a foul ball (or even a fair ball) drop in front of two or three players. 

All that said, that is the RF ball 100%, followed by 2nd and 1st. Any of them could have made the catch but pretty clear the RF should have called them all off.

mlb can cover much more ground than the college guys and generally have much better communication. Yes, MLB makes mistakes but they make that catch.

• Fuck You 1

5 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

Hmm, MLB players make plays 18-22 year olds don’t. Wonder why the big kids get paid? 

agreed.  Also, baseball NCAA - MLB is a much wider gap in talent and body size than championship level NCAA-NBA / football.  College baseball look 18-22, the Bamas, Ohio States of the world already are NFL bodies. 

• Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

mlb can cover much more ground than the college guys and generally have much better communication. Yes, MLB makes mistakes but they make that catch.

Which catch was easier? That one or this??????

My point is it happens all the time, just the stakes usually aren't as high as they were for Pig.

Edited by JimmyHoffa

56 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

agreed.  Also, baseball NCAA - MLB is a much wider gap in talent and body size than championship level NCAA-NBA / football.  College baseball look 18-22, the Bamas, Ohio States of the world already are NFL bodies. 

Man College Football is trash compared to the NFL as far as ability on the field is concerned. I have no idea what you are talking about. But the fact that the players are rougher makes it more fun, IMO, same with college baseball.

But another big reason is the NFL forces players to attend college while Baseball has no such requirement. The top 18-22 year olds will be in the minors getting paid.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Orca of Peace said:

so you think MLB makes the play or not?

also, notice all the people saying MLB won't make it, just as i suspected, they'll put up MLB vids of errors/bad plays. Funny stuff. 

Nobody said the MLB won't make it. Don't be ridiculous. They only said it was not a routine play and sometimes MLB players screw it up.

What a dumb and pointless argument.

My favorite kind.

And while he and I disagree plenty, spystud is absolutely correct on this one. That is the right fielder's ball 100% and he should feel like shit. It's also not a routine play in that it certainly isn't a 95%+ probability that it's caught.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

What a dumb and pointless argument.

My favorite kind.

And while he and I disagree plenty, spystud is absolutely correct on this one. That is the right fielder's ball 100% and he should feel like shit. It's also not a routine play in that it certainly isn't a 95%+ probability that it's caught.

he and i are not disagreeing. MLB makes that play with a higher % than college guys. It's a much more routine play for them really and they make it look easy. Occasionally it drops but that's how it goes. 

2 hours ago, spystud13 said:

RF bitched out early, he didn’t want to make the play. 2B busted his ass & overran it, but that was never his ball. RF will know for as long as he lives he should have bowed up. 

if the 2B doesn't run like he did over there, the RF comes in and makes an easy catch. that 2b fucked it all up.

5 minutes ago, spystud13 said:

You can’t be mad at 2B for busting his ass, he just wasn’t talented enough to make the play. RF failed, period. 

2B just went over there so out of control. he just ran into the middle of it with no idea where the ball was.

There are usually two reasons why that play isn't made at a high level with the first being the RF/LF not being fast enough or getting a good enough read off the bat.  The second reason is that more times than not the infielders get in the way more often than they actually make the catch.  This play should have been an easy catch for the RF.  He could have easily been there in time and he had by far the best view and angle on the ball.  You can see him pull up at the end, my guess for this is due to hearing the footsteps of the infielders.  It's easy to hear those footsteps and get spooked.

The big problem on this play though was the lack of communication by the RF.  He is in control on this play and completely fucked up.  The infielders will rarely call for the ball on this play because they are supposed to go all out until called off by the OF.  Basically you want the OF to call for the ball pretty early so that the infielders slow down and stay out of the way.  RF never does his job thus allowing the 2nd baseman to get in the way and prevent him from making the catch.

42 minutes ago, po elvis said:

2B just went over there so out of control. he just ran into the middle of it with no idea where the ball was.

This...he was very fast and got there first...but overran the ball...it caused the 1st baseman to back off, and the right fielder just kind of pulled up....so, nobody looked good here....whereas, the RF or 2B should have/could have made the play......it could cost them a championship...or they can bounce back and win tonight....should make for an interesting 3rd game.

The 2nd baseman did exactly what he was supposed to do.  The RF fucked up.  It's a very difficult play for the 2B.  It may not be routine for the RF but it's pretty damn close based on where the ball landed and how close he was even with pulling up at the end.  

18 minutes ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I don't understand why anyone on this board is analyzing and discussing who was responsible for making that catch.  

We should all be agreeing on how pig got f'd because of it and discussing how wonderful that is

Oh we all agree on that.  We just also like to discuss baseball.

RF bitched out early, he didn’t want to make the play. 2B busted his ass & overran it, but that was never his ball. RF will know for as long as he lives he should have bowed up. 

^^^^This. It was the RF’s ball all day long. I get that the 2baseman wanted to get over there, but priority goes to the player coming in on the ball, players moving lateral (2b), and backwards (1b) better get loud if they want it. Even if they win tonight, that right fielder is going to remember not calling for that ball each day for the rest of his life. Trust me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

NSIAP.

F arky and FTR

1860cfa79cbc7142d2a76711694577c8.jpg

All he had to do is take 10 steps back before that pitch and he's standing there waiting for it instead of gliding back like the asshole he is. I blame Washington as much as i blame Cruz

3 hours ago, txhorns said:

The 2nd baseman did exactly what he was supposed to do.  The RF fucked up.  It's a very difficult play for the 2B.  It may not be routine for the RF but it's pretty damn close based on where the ball landed and how close he was even with pulling up at the end.  

Considering their lead was the result of two pop ups that weren’t caught because of how deep the osu outfielders were playing, it’s a very just result that the swine rf played himself out of it. 

6 hours ago, spystud13 said:

And only Hoffa has said that play wouldn’t be made in MLB, but he just provided one instance where it wasn’t routine. Which again, I said. 

Nope, not what I said. I was simply pointed out the fact that the same thing happens in MLB games on occasion. It was in response to Orcha trying to say MLB players wouldn't allow that to happen. Which isn't always true. 

I agree it wasn't routine but a play that should have been made. (obviously)