Houston Christian@Texas tipoff 8pm - could this school be called an HBCU?

SL Xpress

2 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

It’s been one and half games or whatever but not the start to the season I was hoping Christian Bishop would have. 

Remember that Bishop didn't make a move on last year's team until later on in the season. He's firmly entrenched in the first 6 on the team. Plenty of time.

oh for 13 from 3, lol. Wow.

Just now, SL Xpress said:

Now we're talking about football and Lowell Galindo's hate for another Longhorn program for several minutes at a time. 

What a fucking beating this fuck head is. 

i can't count how many times tonight lowell has been droning on about some sort of anti-UT subject (basketball team can't shoot, football team can't handle success), only for his inanity to be interrupted by a thunderous dunk. "yeah UT football has pretty much sucked for the last ten y- DILLON MITCHELL, GET SWAGGY WITH IT YOUNG MAN!" 

the absolute worst. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Now we're talking about football and Lowell Galindo's hate for another Longhorn program for several minutes at a time. 

2 minutes ago, kingkoopa6 said:

Galindo sucks bro

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

i can't count how many times tonight lowell has been droning on about some sort of anti-UT subject (basketball team can't shoot, football team can't handle success), only for his inanity to be interrupted by a thunderous dunk. "yeah UT football has pretty much sucked for the last ten y- DILLON MITCHELL, GET SWAGGY WITH IT YOUNG MAN!" 

the absolute worst. 

"Yeah, and how many time have they been on the cusp of a Big12 championship?..."

Yeah, WTF?!?! How is this guy allowed to be the most prominent TV play-by-play personnel for UT sports?

• Rage+1 1

11 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

He is but he's exactly right about the football team. Every time since 2010 they show any sign of having a killer instinct again they show their ass. Saturday needs to actually be the end to that but will believe it when it happens. 

31 minutes ago, Sheep Have Wool said:

I'm liking Carr v2.0 a lot more than the previous version.

Taking him off the ball had to be priority 1 of the offseason. I like Hunter but any good defense is going to sag off him, help off him, and make him make shots. 

I see what Beard is doing here and I like the progress. Athletically they're stronger. They have a point this season. They're better off the dribble and Disu looks like a legit big man so far. I just wish he could have found at least 1 big time catch and shoot guy. A good team that defends the paint well will give this team hell all game. 

Edited by Hermanator

1 minute ago, MuellerHorn said:

"Yeah, and how many time have they been on the cusp of a Big12 championship?..."

Yeah, WTF?!?! How is this guy allowed to be the most prominent TV play-by-play personnel for UT sports?

I just assume he hates Texas and the LHN. He's stuck here because he's awful, and anyone that's not complete shit gets promoted to another network. 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

He is but he's exactly right about the football team. Every time since 2010 they show any sigh of having a killer instinct again they show their ass. Saturday needs to actually be the end to that but will believe it when it happens. 

Taking him off the ball had to be priority 1 of the offseason. I like Hunter but any good defense is going to sag off him, help off him, and make him make shots. 

I see what Beard is doing here and I like the progress. Athletically they're stronger. They have a point this season. They're better off the dribble and Disu looks like a legit big man so far. I just wish he could have found at least 1 big time catch and shoot guy. A good team that defends the paint well will give this team hell all game. 

Is this your attempt to educate me on the football program? I don't want to hear about this shit while the basketball is kicking ass. Kicking ass against a completely overmanned opponent that doesn't actually mean anything, but kicking ass nonetheless. It wasn't even an offhand bullshit shot, which would have infuriated me enough. It turned into a full fledged banter between him and Blanks for a good couple of minutes. Fuck off with that shit. 

Defenses sagged off TJ Ford and Dogus Balbay but both of them found ways to be effective. Hunter isn't the player TJ Ford was, but he's better than Balbay, and that's saying something, because Balbay was good, and ended up making a lucrative professional career out of playing basketball in Europe.

This team is far far far from some kind of unbeatable machine. 

Also, if that big time catch and shoot guy can't switch on defense, Beard isn't going to play him. That's the issue. 

There are a lot of teams that are going to be issues. But this team has pieces last year's team didn't. If we can just see progress from year to year - even incremental - that would be awesome. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

I had fun. The coverage was shit, but what's new. 

This team has some issues. I look forward to seeing how they evolve over the course of the season. 

No complaints about the team.  Looking forward to Gonzaga game next week.  

2 minutes ago, SL Xpress said:

Is this your attempt to educate me on the football program? I don't want to hear about this shit while the basketball is kicking ass. Kicking ass against a completely overmanned opponent that doesn't actually mean anything, but kicking ass nonetheless. It wasn't even an offhand bullshit shot, which would have infuriated me enough. It turned into a full fledged banter between him and Blanks for a good couple of minutes. Fuck off with that shit. 

Defenses sagged off TJ Ford and Dogus Balbay but both of them found ways to be effective. Hunter isn't the player TJ Ford was, but he's better than Balbay, and that's saying something, because Balbay was good, and ended up making a lucrative professional career out of playing basketball in Europe.

This team is far far far from some kind of unbeatable machine. 

Also, if that big time catch and shoot guy can't switch on defense, Beard isn't going to play him. That's the issue. 

There are a lot of teams that are going to be issues. But this team has pieces last year's team didn't. If we can just see progress from year to year - even incremental - that would be awesome. 

stripes lighten GIF

It's a snoozefest blowout against a JV level team. Even the best announcers in the business have to vamp on goofy dumb shit during those games, and these guys are among tbe worst announcers in the business. You want to complain just to complain if you're sensitive about that. 

The problem with Hunter not being able to shoot consistently is that no one else can either. The team will only go as far as meeting a team that can defend the paint and shoot the ball well. Chances are that knocks them out of the tourney again this year, but it's a process. I'm sure improving the shooting is top on Beard's list for next year. 

1 minute ago, Hermanator said:

stripes lighten GIF

It's a snoozefest blowout against a JV level team. Even the best announcers in the business have to vamp on goofy dumb shit during those games, and these guys are among tbe worst announcers in the business. You want to complain just to complain if you're sensitive about that. 

The problem with Hunter not being able to shoot consistently is that no one else can either. The team will only go as far as meeting a team that can defend the paint and shoot the ball well. Chances are that knocks them out of the tourney again this year, but it's a process. I'm sure improving the shooting is top on Beard's list for next year. 

Maybe. 

From what I've seen and heard I think Beard thinks his players can become better 3 point shooters by working on their game, and by practically willing them to be.

I haven't seen anything from Beard to suggest he's going to go out and get himself a pure shooter unless they can defend. It's not like he had a 3 point shooting juggernaut last year, and yet he didn't bring in a single shooter either in the portal or among the freshmen, even though he still had a couple of scholarship spots left, and there were definitely some shooters in the portal he could have brought in. 

All of us identified it as the biggest weakness for the makeup of this team in the offseason. That and the lack of post defenders. And here we are. Shockingly enough, shooting from BTA and the lack of inside big men look like the biggest weaknesses for this team. Who knew?

As far as the football shit, we'll just have to agree to disagree. I thought it was complete horseshit, but you seem just fine with it. You even seem to revel in it. If we never heard about football other than as a passing comment during a basketball game I'd be just fine with it. But certainly if someone is going to talk about it on the Longhorn Network as something other than a brief promo for an upcoming game, I don't want to hear them shit on the program, even if I agree with what they're saying. Leave that to the other distribution channels that don't have Longhorn in their title.

33 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

I like Hunter but any good defense is going to sag off him, help off him, and make him make shots. 

HCU was sagging off Hunter and Morris in this game. It still didn't make a difference. 

Do you think teams were hedging Hunter last year when he won Big 12 freshman of the year? They weren't. He's just really good off the dribble even when teams sag. 

Yeah that's fine. I just didn't see it as shitting on them. It was calling the program exactly what's it's been recently. Whether he brings it up or not doesn't matter to me at all. Both Sark and Beard took over once top tier programs that have become soft and they're working to build it back. So far we've seen as much progress from both as we saw at any point since the mediocrity hit and they're only in year 2. 

Hopefully he's right and a few the big minute players he has can become good enough to keep a defense honest and out of the lane. 

Edited by Hermanator

I'm not really concerned about the 3p shooting yet other than Carr taking too many. Rice is a good spot up shooter. I think Hunter can be much better than he was last year. Arterio is the one I'm curious about because he shot well against Arkansas in that scrimmage but hasn't shot well in the first 2 games. Two games just isn't enough of a sample size to get a read on this team's actual ability to hit from BTA. 

Outside of Mitchell and Bishop we aren't going to be a liability from the stripe. We should actually be pretty good. The issue is that Mitchell is going to need to play a lot of important minutes for us and he is fucking awful at the line. That's the biggest issue that I've seen for this team so far - but I'm hoping we can scheme around it well enough. It's too early to claim that we won't hit enough 3s or rebound well enough or rim protect well enough but I am thoroughly convinced Mitchell is hopeless up there. 

The defense is elite. The ability to run the floor is elite. The coaching is elite. The ball movement and ball handling is very good - as is the finishing inside. That in itself is enough to win a lot of games. If the 3p shooting, interior D and rebounding can be average to above average this will easily be one of the best teams in the country. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Mitchell can rebound and rim protect.  The interior depth is still thin, but it’s not as awful when you consider him one of the bigs along with Disu and Bishop.

3 point shooting isn’t going to be particularly good, but we have enough credible threats for the offense to work. None of our guards are Balbay type non-threats who defenses can just leave alone on the perimeter while they clog everything else up.

We’re not perfect, but we’re going to be very good unless injuries or chemistry issues arise.

This completely dovetails with how I see it. 

I still don't know how bad 3 point shooting is going to be. I do know it's been gawdawful in the first two games, and HCU in particular wasn't a defense that could adequately defend BTA. These were about as open of a look as the Texas players are going to see, and they were woeful. 

I guess my main thing is that entering the season I just wanted to see progress from year 1 to year 2. Anyone who can't see that already is blind or a hater. The offense is loads more fun to watch, even when they're not firing on all cylinders. The transition game actually exists, whereas last year the players consistently pulled up in the half court rather than try to attack the basket. They're not bleeding down the clock to the 10 second mark before getting into their offense. They're not consistently meandering into the paint, picking up their dribble, then looking around like John Travolta in Pulp Fiction for what to do with it next. 

We actually have athletes on this team. Carr as the secondary ball handler is much more dangerous than he was as the point guard, especially since Hunter, Rice, and Morris all look like much more natural point guards than Carr ever did. We're loaded with guys who can beat their defender off the dribble, whereas last year we had none unless you count Carr's fadeaway mid range jumper, which wasn't reliable and didn't get him to the free throw line. 

Gonzaga will be a much stiffer test, obviously. I think Timme is going to eat our lunch again, but maybe we can do a better job of making up for it in other ways. I'm not expecting a win there, but maybe I change my mind after watching them against Michigan State today. I certainly don't think it's any kind of lost cause or anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

i think we beat gonzaga, and i think that's where the hoe train takes off. i think that's where, for the first time under beard, and truthfully the first time in a very long time, we once again return to being a team with a target on its back. i think we beat the zags, and assuming they win today i think it gets us up to no.6 or 7 in the country, and the hype and expectations go through the roof. it's been a very long time since we had those type of expectations, and i am so pumped at the prospect of getting back to being that type of program again. i cannot wait for wednesday to ge here.

• Hook 'Em 1