Texas Football Roster 2023 -- "Only Angry People Win Football Games."

LTtxfan

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Screenshot_20231023-223529_kindlephoto-17427031.png.0b0adf7f25363c4cbf5f7b29c978b663.png

Texas redshirt freshman EDGE Kristopher Ross is no longer a member of the football program, a university spokesperson confirmed to Horns247 Monday night. Inside Texas was the first report on the departure of Ross, who hasn’t played for the Longhorns since suffering an elbow injury in a 31-10 home victory over Wyoming on Sept. 16.

Nothing else was mentioned regarding Ross’ immediate future other than the spokesperson saying that Ross is going to be removed from the program's official roster.

The 6-foot-2-inch, 255-pound Ross came to the Forty Acres as a 247Sports four-star prospect in 2022. A Galena Park North Shore product, Ross was the No. 250 overall prospect in the 247Sports Composite.

Ross started his career as an interior defensive lineman before kicking out to EDGE for the 2023 season. Ross recorded two tackles in one appearance as a true freshman, making his debut in the team’s season-opening 52-10 win over Louisiana-Monroe.

Ross saw action in the first three games of 2023, officially recording one tackle and one quarterback hurry. According to Pro Football Focus, Ross logged 24 snaps in a 37-10 season-opening win over Rice, 17 in a 34-24 road win over then-No. 3 Alabama and nine against the Cowboys in what’s looking like his final game in a Texas uniform.

Ross recorded two pressures against the Owls, according to PFF. For his career, Ross was on the field for 55 snaps (38 as a pass rusher and 17 as a run defender) in four games with PFF awarding him credit for two total pressures, a solo tackle, an assisted tackle and a stop (a solo tackle resulting in a failure by the opposing offense).

Ross is the fourth member of the 2022 recruiting class to leave the program. Out of the first full-cycle class on the job for head coach Steve Sarkisian, linebacker Derrick Brown, linebacker Trevell Johnson and wide receiver Brenen Thompson entered the NCAA transfer portal during the spring transfer window.

The transfer portal for the 2024 talent acquisition cycle doesn’t open until December. The initial transfer window is set to begin on the Monday after FBS conference championship games are played and will be open for 30 days (student-athletes competing in postseason bowl games, including the College Football Playoff, will be given an additional five-day window when their season is complete).

As for how Ross’ departure immediately impacts No. 7 Texas (6-1, 3-1 Big 12), it comes at a time when the Longhorns are getting into their depth at the EDGE positions.

Sophomore Ethan Burke has played in each of the team’s first seven games and started the last four, but his current status is week-to-week due to a lingering knee injury, according to Sarkisian. True freshman Colton Vasek hasn’t appeared in a game this season with a back issue keeping him on the sideline.

• 3 weeks later...

Isaiah Neyor is an interesting one. I figured he was redshirting this season to further rehab while Texas has one of the top receiver groups in country and would be back next season once all 3 are gone and we need receivers with experience. Thought it would be Cook, Neyor, portal receiver, and whoever steps up out of the other redshirting kids

Edited by Hermanator

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, BurgleBro said:

Was wondering why we've barely seen him recently

Was a 1 year hired gun who kept getting hurt and wasn't dependable so he barely played. No surprise he wants to bolt and no surprise Sark wants him to bolt. Was a nice try but a portal swing and miss. Can't hit them all, but Sark needs his spot for another portal safety. 

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I guess Neyor can put his name in the portal as a grad transfer even though he doesn't graduate until May?

Not sure if it even has to be as a grad-transfer.  Neyor not playing for two years probably gives him an easy approval for a hardship transfer without sitting out a year.  

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

Neyor not even seeing a single snap against his former team in week 3 said everything about his spot here. 
I guess he can put his name in the portal as a grad transfer even though he doesn't graduate until May?
He was asked to go in and refused. Been in the doghouse over since... the writing was on the wall.

Nahlin handicapping the chances of guys returning

Spoiler

If I felt his post would be a distraction to the team or playoff preparation it wouldn’t be written. Don’t worry, the players are focused on their last couple days of “recovery” before getting back to the practice field on Friday. 

In fact I heard directly from one of the parents of a player below, “I’ve told my son to worry about winning the next two games, then focus on your decision.” 

Players will have plenty of time to figure out their next move after the playoffs. In the meantime, here’s a post combining intel and intuition on how I view each player’s current standing between remaining at Texas or departing.

QB Quinn Ewers

After a mostly good, and sometimes great, sophomore season, Ewers still lacks ideal experience and processing speed for the NFL.

IT thinks it’s most likely he’ll return.

Percentage on returning: If I put a percentage here someone would just come along and raise it. 

WR Xavier Worthy

This one is so cut an dried I almost didn’t even list him. His mom even mentioned on Twitter how the Tech game was his last one at home.

Percentage: 5%

WR Adonai Mitchell

I don’t believe Mitchell has fully made up his mind but even in a crowded receiver draft he’s a second rounder at the latest. That written, if he returned he’d find himself in the Top 10 of early 2025 mocks. Of course that would delay getting to a second contract by a year.

We’ve been using WR recruiting tea leaves to try and figure out what the staff thinks Mitchell will do. We know the plan in the portal is to take 1-2. That should seemingly be a guaranteed ‘2’ given lack of numbers at the position. 

However, yesterday it came to light that five-star 2025 WR Ryan Williams is reclassifying to 2024 and considering Texas before making a decision in February. That doesn’t seem like something that would change the calculus for the 2024 season, especially given how difficult that recruitment will be to win, but Williams is special to the point that could be a consideration. 

[Tangential: If Texas does only take one wide receiver in the portal it needs to be someone like Deion Burks or Juice Wells over Matthew Golden, imo]

Percentage: 15%

TE Ja’Tavion Sanders 

Sanders hasn’t made up his mind one way or the other. Consensus is he’s the second best tight end in the class and will be drafted in the second round. That’s nothing to sneeze at. But another year in Austin where he becomes a more complete player would likely raise his draft stock.

Here’s another case where we’re trying to read the portal tea leaves. Without Sanders there is little depth at tight end. Gunnar Helm is ready to be a lead guy but the roster is inexperienced behind him. At the same time, Jeff Banks is giving the appearance of portal inactivity, but that’s just the way Banks likes it. He’s definitely up to something.

I lean towards Sanders leaving but there is someone who is right more often than not who thinks he’ll return. Having Ewers back can’t hurt. 

Don’t get your hopes up, but there may be *some* hope.

Percentage: 30%

RB Jonathon Brooks

Despite his ACL injury Brooks has remained a hot draft commodity. Under those circumstances he HAS to go pro. If he returned to Texas and was re-injured or didn’t look the same that would be tragic. 

Not that he wouldn’t get great care at Texas, I also like the idea of him rehabbing for a team that has invested millions in him.

Percentage: 10%

DT Byron Murphy

NFL.

Percentage: 5%

DT Alfred Collins

Collins knows he could have a T’Vondre Sweat like explosion if he returned, but he’s also sort of anxious to begin a new chapter. He’s split on his decision and currently undecided. 

I have some optimism the staff can recruit him to stay. Not only are they persuasive recruiters, the logical decision resides in their favor. 

Percentage: 50%

S Kitan Crawford 

NFL. He’s a difference-maker on special teams with an NFL body and athleticism that may have scouts believing he can become more.

Percentage: 5%

CB Ryan Watts

I don’t think Watts is receiving the sort of NFL chatter that would have him feeling confident about leaving. That’s sort of similar to Jordan Whittington last year. That likely has something to do with lack of make-up speed at the position. In the NFL he’ll have receivers just as big and physical as him, only faster. 

If he returned I believe it would be to try his hat at safety. It’s a major need for the program, he knows the scheme, and it’s his best chance at carving out an NFL career. 

Percentage: 50%

• Hook 'Em 2