World Cup Day 12 - Groups E & F Final Matchday

Captain Ron

12 hours ago, ztejas said:

CAN is gimmicky and I think they're learning that that doesn't get you far in the WC. 

They also just aren't very good at most positions on the field. 

It's kind of crazy they finished 1st in WCQ. 

Side note - haven't seen a lot of "David > Pulisic" takes lately. Huh. 

Canada’s problem was their draw combined with their ambition (coach’s ambition).

If you switch The USMNT’s draw with Canada’s draw, Canada is off to the knockout stage and the USMNT is already eliminated. 

This second half between Croatia and Belgium should be fireworks

Canada’s problem was their draw combined with their ambition (coach’s ambition).
If you switch The USMNT’s draw with Canada’s draw, Canada is off to the knockout stage and the USMNT is already eliminated. 

We’d win all 3 games. Fuck em
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Sure Jan GIF

We were pot 2 and they were pot 4. So if you put them with England and Iran then you have to add a pot 2 team to that group. I'm curious as to which combination of England and a non-US pot 2 side you think Canada qualifies over. 

The US would have Belgium, Morocco and a random pot 4 team. Maybe tougher than our actual draw (would depend on the pot 4 team) but certainly doable. 

I'm not sure what tournament you're watching if you think Canada has played at the same level as the US. 

Edited by ztejas
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Sure Jan GIF

We were pot 2 and they were pot 4.

So if you put them with England and Iran then you have to add a pot 2 team to that group. I'm curious as to which combination of England and a non-US pot 2 side you think Canada qualifies over. 

The US would have Belgium, Morocco and a random pot 4 team. Maybe tougher than our actual draw but certainly doable. 

I'm not sure what tournament you're watching if you think Canada has played at the same level as the US. 

They won CONCACAF qualifying and we edged out the 4th place team on goal differential.

Canada tied us and beat us.

Canada just wasn’t good enough for long enough and we won Nations League and 1-0’d our way to the Gold Cup as well.

Teams should be ranked by how they do in qualifying, but they’re not. Finishing tied with 4th, we should have been in Pot 3, not closely missing out on Pot 1.

European & African teams don’t all play each other like CONMEBOL & CONCACAF (and I have no idea what Asia does), so it is difficult to figure out their pots without FIFA rankings, but no team that wins its group should ever be seeded below the 2nd place team from their group, if the 2nd place team advances  

If we switched spots with Canada, then they would be through and we would be done. 

3 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

They won CONCACAF qualifying and we edged out the 4th place team on goal differential.

Canada just wasn’t good enough for long enough and we won Nations League and 1-0’d our way to the Gold Cup as well.

Teams should be ranked by how they do in qualifying, but they’re not. Finishing tied with 4th, we should have been in Pot 3, not closely missing out on Pot 1.

European & African teams don’t all play each other like CONMEBOL & CONCACAF (and I have no idea what Asia does), so it is difficult to figure out their pots without FIFA rankings, but no team that wins its group should ever be seeded below the 2nd place team from their group, if the 2nd place team advances  

If we switched spots with Canada, then they would be through and we would be done. 

No one gives a shit. Go start a Canadian national team thread. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

Canada took a big step back after qualifying. They have underachieved in this tournament and there's no spinning it. 

It's definitely a tougher group than ours but as was mentioned that's largely because they were a Pot 4 team. 

Edited by The Dog
  • Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

A. Canada did a lot of stuff in the past.

B . They don't rank teams that way.

When the World Cup came around they got beaten up because their team just isn't up to snuff. The US advanced and flipping pots likely doesn't make a bit of difference.

22 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Agree that Canada was unfortunate in its draw and pot assignment. I expected more from Canada this Cup but not sure if the USMNT would've gotten out of that group, either.

During qualifying, I was super impressed with Herdman. His schemes hid his players' weaknesses and accentuated their strengths. But all that seemed to go to his head, e.g. trying to take on Croatia with a balls-out, wide-open attack, plus commentating before the match that Canada was going to "fuck" them, and then refusing to shake hands after being humiliated.

EDIT: Disagree with how teams should be ranked, though. The system isn't perfect, but seeding solely based on cycle qualifying performance would be two lefts trying to make a right, imo.

Edited by Braff Zacklin