Formula 1 2023

Anton Chigurh

On 10/30/2023 at 9:47 AM, Goofyboy said:

Riccardo to RB

I'm the biggest Danny Ric fanboi around, and I just can't see that happening.  Mexico was nice, but a stark outlier.  Brutal today.  I get that he's driving a donkey, but Yuki has finished 12th or better in 8 races, points in 4 races.  One would think that a driver with Danny's experience should be able to be fighting at a little higher level.

13 minutes ago, Mittens said:

Yikes.  You just know the Brazilian version of Wood is lighting the track owner up on the socials right now...

Wow. That's wild. But tbf, not much they could do about that, either at COTA or Brazil (except none of COTA's GSs are covered outside of the Main GS). At COTA they tell you to go to your car, which is typically at minimum a 15-20 minute walk from you. The only really safe place to be is inside the main gs, but they never tell people to go there.

I remember that one time out at COTA when I was caught out between T19 & 20 and had to hide between two supply trucks for shelter from a similar storm. Only time in my life I actually feared for my safety due to the weather. My kid & I were talking about that earlier while watching Q2. The race track is the last place you want to be when that shit hits.

Edited by wood

I see you Aston Martin. The Q3 weather didn't hurt, but they actually had legit pace all day. Alonso was P4 in Q2, so it's looking good. I read that they mixed upgrade parts between the two cars today, running a mix of the best parts that they found during "testing“ at the last 2 races.

Very cool of Crofty in FP1 to bring up the Sprint Weekend format I've been pushing for a while, pretty much word for word. I'm telling y'all, he's lurking on Autosport. I just can't figure out who he is.

FP1, Sprint Qualifying

Sprint, Qualifying (Parc Ferme begins)

GP

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, wood said:

Very cool of Crofty in FP1 to bring up the Sprint Weekend format I've been pushing for a while, pretty much word for word. I'm telling y'all, he's lurking on Autosport. I just can't figure out who he is.

FP1, Sprint Qualifying

GP

Get the hell outta here with that sensible shit!  This is FIA.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, wood said:

FP1, Sprint Qualifying

GP

My only issue is having the Sprint before qualifying when we've seen some Sprints cause major damage to cars. Wrecks are less common in qualifying and practice, and when they happen, it's not in conjunction with another car. On a Sprint, you're going to have a lot more damage that puts teams under the gun to get something ready for qualifying.

My idea? Axe the sprints completely (by far my preference) or go the opposite and make them a full race and have two complete races over a weekend (which I think is dumb, btw). As it is, the Sprints are just weird little orphan races that are shoehorned in.

1 minute ago, NoName said:

What, and I can't stress this enough, the fuck was Ocon doing?

Alonso lost it and Ocon was in the wrong fucking place at the wrong time. Surprised this doesn't happen more often with fast and slow cars spread around the track.

3 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

My only issue is having the Sprint before qualifying when we've seen some Sprints cause major damage to cars. Wrecks are less common in qualifying and practice, and when they happen, it's not in conjunction with another car. On a Sprint, you're going to have a lot more damage that puts teams under the gun to get something ready for qualifying.

My idea? Axe the sprints completely (by far my preference) or go the opposite and make them a full race and have two complete races over a weekend (which I think is dumb, btw). As it is, the Sprints are just weird little orphan races that are shoehorned in.

Yeah that's the only drawback I've been thinking of, and yep, my preference is also just to not have sprints.

4 hours ago, Native Horn said:

Get the hell outta here with that sensible shit!  This is FIA.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but iirc that was FOM's idea.

2 hours ago, G650 said:

I always forget how much I like Interlagos

Amazing track. I wish Mercedes was going to be more more competitive as it doesn't bode well for tomorrow. 

Pretty cool to see at least one car stay within striking distance of Max. Funny that it's not his teammate.

11 hours ago, RPM said:

FWIW, every local I talked to in Las Vegas HATES F1 coming to town.

Yeah they've never put on a race, and it shows. They're making a complete mess of it PR-wise locally. They're pretty much pissing off the locals every way possible.

11 hours ago, NoName said:

this is incredible if you haven't seen it yet...

What COTA video are they talking about?

5 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

Amazing track. I wish Mercedes was going to be more more competitive as it doesn't bode well for tomorrow. 

Pretty cool to see at least one car stay within striking distance of Max. Funny that it's not his teammate.

Proper track, proper engines, cars that aren't SUV-size and weight, and No DRS, so proper racing and overtaking. Enjoy!

Edited by wood
  • Drool 1

Oh, and Ocon wtf lol. He's making a fool of himself on Insta now, saying he had a great lap going (even though it was only T2) and didn't lose the car. Uh, ok Esteban. This is why nobody likes you, bruhhhh. Button, Alex Rossi, Paul Tracy all calling him out. 

Sure looked like he carried way too much speed and the car got sideways to me, but wtf do I know?

Edited by wood
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, wood said:

oh man you haven't seen it? the LEC driving COTA lap at sunset + top gun music

3 minutes ago, wood said:

Oh, and Ocon wtf lol. He's making a fool of himself on Insta now, saying he had a great lap going (even though it was only T2) and didn't lose the car. Uh, ok Esteban. This is why nobody likes you, bruhhhh. Button, Alex Rossi, Paul Tracy all calling him out. 

Sure looked like he carried way too much speed and the car got sideways to me, but wtf do I know?

come on bro, it was ALO's fault that he hit a curb and lost it, right?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

oh man you haven't seen it? the LEC driving COTA lap at sunset + top gun music

Oh yeah I remember seeing something about that and thinking I needed to watch it, but got sidetracked. Nice. Thanks!

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, wood said:

If any of y'all want some insight into the myriad ways F1 has come up with to piss off the locals in Vegas, just go here: https://forums.autosport.com/topic/220914-lost-wages-gp-2023/

Everything you might want to know about it, from a local F1 fan who's also pissed by now ... and I mean everything.

what username/page? there are 31 of em!

edit: i just skipped towards  the end started reading there

Spoiler

The guy that runs that channel is a click bait king. Even among those in town that do that sort of thing he’s not well respected.  

The way he mentions funding aspect is exaggerated and not exactly accurate.  The $40 mil ask won’t happen.  Best case they get a bit but on a seven member commission there are three hard nos and at least one not all but maybe some.  Chances are they’ll get nothing.  What's happening is LVCVA is sponsoring to the tune of $9 mil a year and picking up police, fire and medical as well as the employee shuttle buses from the convention center.  Those are all normal things for a big event.  The rodeo gets about $20 mil.

The weekly hotels pay room tax because they are hotels.  They could reclassify as apartments (like the one next to the paddock did last year) but it would require minimum stays of a month.  Those are blood suckers.  Less than 1% of Vegas Valley residents live in weeklies.  

He’s right about the disruption.  It’s epic.  The public will hopefully get our pound of flesh.  He lives out in the ‘burbs and doesn’t come into the resort corridor except for the click bait.  We’re here every day.  The Tropicana interchange project started more than a year ago and has been planned for nearly ten years.  It certainly adds to the congestion though.

He's right about impacted businesses.  The worst are the gift shop and two gas stations.  The gift shop may not make it.  Platinum non gaming hotel and Ellis Island are impacted as well.

He’s right about it not being fully planned.  The deal is F1 runs and pays all of that.  The county is involved in planning now but it came in way late after it was clear F1 couldn’t handle it.  The commission dropped the ball big time in not being more proactive at first.  They changed the way the permitting process works for events like this so they see things as they happen not in advance.  Normally there would be a public meeting and debate period.

There is no sanctioning fee and there is no ten year deal.  Yet.  That’s why F1 hasn’t agreed to anything.  Because there is nothing but a non binding resolution in support.  It’s not even a letter of intent.  It will be the resorts deciding if this goes past three.  F1 was all in on the announcements though.

The watch party and blocking the view thing was stillborn.  F1 sent the letters and announced it before the county found out.  It was shut down right away.  It was changed to a flat $50k at which time some signed on.  The blocking of views from private businesses was never going to be approved.

As far as rage posts go it’s one but there are some omissions and misdirection.

i think loki is the guy he's talking about?

Edited by NoName
  • Like 1

Yep, loki is the guy.

Fernando, re: Ocon:

Fernando gives his thoughts:

"Whenever there is an Alpine you have to be extra careful. We touched each other entering turn 6... they must think that our car is narrower than it really is, and again I ended up on the grass," said the Aston Martin driver.

Ocon, when Alonso was his teammate at Alpine, always tried to finish ahead of him anyway. Now, although the Spaniard wears the colors of Aston Martin, it seems that he continues to seek to defeat him by all means whenever he meets him on the track. Thus, Fernando thinks that Esteban is still very immature and that he has not changed his way of seeing things.

"Yes, I heard what that boy said...", the two-time champion commented with a laugh. "He is still very immature and has not changed his way of seeing things, but well, there are other things that don't change either. He came out after me like last year and stayed there, like last year. So everything is still normal," Fernando Alonso has settled."

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, wood said:

Yeah they've never put on a race, and it shows. They're making a complete mess of it PR-wise locally. They're pretty much pissing off the locals every way possible.

Proper track, proper engines, cars that aren't SUV-size and weight, and No DRS, so proper racing and overtaking. Enjoy!

Obviously amazing driving, but *that sound*!!!!  🤤

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1