Even more random someone on surly knows about it.

Shoxthemonkey

Hat tip to @MNLonghornFUKM. He was surprised to find that somebody else on Surly knew about a Memorial in Wahpeton, ND for a couple of men that died erecting a circus tent. It popped up in the Non-Texas Winter Weather thread. I'm a sucker for that kinda thing and it made me wonder what else is out there.

Post an historical place in your neighborhood that you think will skunk surly. Someplace that has a little historical significance but someplace random and obscure enough that nobody on here has been there. I'll start with this, ZS44MC5KUEc.jpg

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/knute-rockne-memorial

It's just 10 miles east of us. It's locked down by private ownership now but it was easily accessible up until a few years ago.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Hat tip to @MNLonghornFUKM. He was surprised to find that somebody else on Surly knew about a Memorial in Wahpeton, ND for a couple of men that died erecting a circus tent. It popped up in the Non-Texas Winter Weather thread. I'm a sucker for that kinda thing and it made me wonder what else is out there.

Post an historical place in your neighborhood that you think will skunk surly. Someplace that has a little historical significance but someplace random and obscure enough that nobody on here has been there. I'll start with this, ZS44MC5KUEc.jpg

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/knute-rockne-memorial

It's just 10 miles east of us. It's locked down by private ownership now but it was easily accessible up until a few years ago.

So 'erecting a circus tent' is the story they went with...uh huh...

mckayla_not.jpeg

• Like 1

We swing through Indianola from time to time going to and from family bay house in Palacios. Over the summers in Palacios, there's a summer camp for little kids and we've sent our oldest (9) there when spending the week in Palacios with family and they talk about LaSalle and his sunken ships. I want to say they have a mini replica for them but could be getting mixed up with something else. 

• Like 1

We swing through Indianola from time to time going to and from family bay house in Palacios. Over the summers in Palacios, there's a summer camp for little kids and we've sent our oldest (9) there when spending the week in Palacios with family and they talk about LaSalle and his sunken ships. I want to say they have a mini replica for them but could be getting mixed up with something else. 

I want to know what road you take through Indianola thats on the way to anywhere besides beautiful Magnolia Beach. it's the end of the road for sure but an alright spot.

When they did the excavation of LaSalle’s sunken ship, Le Belle they hauled it all to Palacios for conservation/preservation/processing. I think they display some small stuff from the wreck in Palacios at the museum. There used to be a half scale replica of Le Belle at the marina there, but I haven’t been there since my FIL was mayor, and that’s been forever.

And yeah… there’s only one road to Indianola/Magnolia Beach. And it’s a dead end.

9 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

When they did the excavation of LaSalle’s sunken ship, Le Belle they hauled it all to Palacios for conservation/preservation/processing. I think they display some small stuff from the wreck in Palacios at the museum. There used to be a half scale replica of Le Belle at the marina there, but I haven’t been there since my FIL was mayor, and that’s been forever.

And yeah… there’s only one road to Indianola/Magnolia Beach. And it’s a dead end.

It's still there in Palacios.

I should've said on drives to and from,  we like to make random trips out in that area from Palacios/Cape Caranchua

15 minutes ago, Ojo Rojo said:

I haven't been to the Bullock history museum yet, but they have the La Belle from his expedition.  I regret not going out to the coffer dam excavation site in the late 90's.

I knew who LaSalle was but I never associated him with Texas. His exploits in the Great Lakes region got all of the attention in History classes that I attended. It's been a long time since I visited Bullock but it sounds like I need to return.

https://www.lavacacountytoday.com/lifestyle/legend-campbell-branch

This creek ran next to our house growing up. Still wondering why the named it after them after reading the story, evidently the whole family was crazy.   

People also use to dig on our property before my dad built a house there.  Evidently everyone thought Santa Ana ditched his treasure while on the run on the banks of the Lavaca River in a area that was described as our land.

Edited by Hook1997

9 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

OK, what am I looking at here?

Man, I looked at several sources to link for you but they each tell the story a little differently, because there’s some religion and politics involved. 

the image is a monument memorial in comfort, tx to the group of German Freethinkers killed by the confederate army in the nueces river massacre. Please google the terms and read a few of the results. 

maybe @Hornius Emeritus has been there or talked about it for his blog. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lat22 said:

This should be easy.  My hometown's second place claim to fame.

don-pedrito-shrine-interior.jpg

That is the shrine in Falfurrias to Don Pedro Jaramillo, a curandero, faith healer, and folk saint from the Rio Grand Valley, 1907. He was known as "the healer of Los Olmos creek and "el mero jefe" of the curanderos. It was recorded in Alice, Texas, that he would sometimes buy $500 worth of goods at a time, simply to feed the poor. The number nine was prominent in his cures. 

Some low-down person badly vandalized it a few years ago in a completely senseless act.  Here is a news article about that: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_P2LGA8B8gE

• 9 months later...