The Undercard: Fiesta Bowl: Michigan Vs TCU

Juicy

Oh cry.

Sorry your internet feelings got hurt….

Michigan played a terrible game. Spotted TCU 28 points and lost by 6. What can you do? 13-0 and another big ten championship is still a great season.

Yeah it fucking sucks the way it ended, but every fan base except for Georgia would take that season over whatever they got this year.

Go frogs. I hope they have one more game of magic in them. Because fuck UGA

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Haha 1

Yeah it’s the last hump for Harbaugh to get over. It’s really insane that they just completely go away from their identity in every bowl game.

Getting cute on offense TWICE inside the 2, resulting in 0 points. Dialing up a cover 0 jailbreak blitz multiple times on long 3rd downs (they literally never did this the entire season) resulted in 14 points, including the back breaking TD when they just cut the lead to 3. Fucking up fundamentals like snapping the ball, just so uncharacteristic and yet they can’t stop tripping over their dicks in bowl games. JJ threw 33% of his picks on the season in one game, and both of them went to the house.

That they only lost by 6 seems like a miracle.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I'm pretty ok with it.  It's like Rice winning the CWS a few years back.  I was happy for them.  Of course having our own turns at the top in that time period took a lot of sting out of it.
As for Dykes, he is probably a pretty decent coach, time will tell if he can repeat anything like this.  Gary fuckin Patterson could put together one hell of a functional roster.  I don't know wtf was going on with him in his last years at TCU, but 5-7 last year was probably some kind of anomaly for him.  I also think the portal was adversely affecting TCU, but can't really prove it.  Possibly same at SMU for Dykes.
People love to crow about 7 win Steve, but Dykes historically should get an even worse moniker.  

Didn’t he have a ton of injury issues last year at TCU?

4 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Yeah it’s the last hump for Harbaugh to get over. It’s really insane that they just completely go away from their identity in every bowl game.

Getting cute on offense TWICE inside the 2, resulting in 0 points. Dialing up a cover 0 jailbreak blitz multiple times on long 3rd downs (they literally never did this the entire season) resulted in 14 points, including the back breaking TD when they just cut the lead to 3. Fucking up fundamentals like snapping the ball, just so uncharacteristic and yet they can’t stop tripping over their dicks in bowl games. JJ threw 33% of his picks on the season in one game, and both of them went to the house.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Oh cry.

Sorry your internet feelings got hurt….

Michigan played a terrible game. Spotted TCU 28 points and lost by 6. What can you do? 13-0 and another big ten championship is still a great season.

Yeah it fucking sucks the way it ended, but every fan base except for Georgia would take that season over whatever they got this year.

Go frogs. I hope they have one more game of magic in them. Because fuck UGA

Lol. Feelings hurt?  Nah. You’re just a fucking idiot as always. 

And I’d rather have TCU’s season than Michigan’s, smart guy. 

Edited by Porterhouse

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Lol. Feelings hurt?  Nah. You’re just a fucking idiot as always. 

And I’d rather have TCU’s season than Michigan’s, smart guy. 

Sorry I didn’t know you were a TCU fan….

13-1 conference champions vs 13-2 and non conference champion? Not sure about that. 

4 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'm pretty ok with it.  It's like Rice winning the CWS a few years back.  I was happy for them.  Of course having our own turns at the top in that time period took a lot of sting out of it.

As for Dykes, he is probably a pretty decent coach, time will tell if he can repeat anything like this.  Gary fuckin Patterson could put together one hell of a functional roster.  I don't know wtf was going on with him in his last years at TCU, but 5-7 last year was probably some kind of anomaly for him.  I also think the portal was adversely affecting TCU, but can't really prove it.  Possibly same at SMU for Dykes.

People love to crow about 7 win Steve, but Dykes historically should get an even worse moniker.  

TCU should be grateful for your little brother comparison with fucking Rice.  GP lost the team completely with his hard ass antics and couldn’t recruit worth a shit. What Dykes has done this year has been miraculous. This is as bad as your point about us probably needing to lay off Worthy and his lack of ball awareness is simply due to his size. 

41 minutes ago, Juicy said:

Sorry I didn’t know you were a TCU fan….

13-1 conference champions vs 13-2 and non conference champion? Not sure about that. 

Insanity. First, TCU is 13-1. Second, they are playing for a natty they’re more than capable of winning. Third, they just beat your ass. In no scenario would non-mongoloids pick UM’s season over TCU’s. You’re outdoing yourself. 

Insanity. First, TCU is 13-1. Second, they are playing for a natty they’re more than capable of winning. Third, they just beat your ass. In no scenario would non-mongoloids pick UM’s season over TCU’s. You’re outdoing yourself. 

K.

It’s just funny hearing a fan of a 5 loss team making fun of a team that is back to back conference champions and in the playoffs.

5 minutes ago, Juicy said:

K.

It’s just funny hearing a fan of a 5 loss team making fun of a team that is back to back conference champions and in the playoffs.

Let’s be really clear: I’m making fun of nothing but YOU. 

25 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

If TCU loses I would absolutely take Michigan's season instead. Conference championships mean something, or are you one of those Texas "fans" who only think that when Texas doesn't win them?

• Like 1

If TCU loses I would absolutely take Michigan's season instead. Conference championships mean something, or are you one of those Texas "fans" who only think that when Texas doesn't win them?
You would rather not play for the national championship? Give me the national championship appearance every single time. Georgia and Alabama have already shown you conference championships don't mean shit in the end.

Ohio State was a kick away from making it without winning it.

Your logic makes absolutely no sense and aggy esque to try and demean a team who makes it to the final game. Also, TCU ran the table in a round robin but because the Big 12 is a joke, they make them play some pointless game to end the year.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

You would rather play for the national championship than not? Give me the national championship appearance every single time. Georgia and Alabama have already shown you conference championships don't mean shit.

Your logic makes absolutely no sense and aggy esque to try and demean a team who makes it to the final game. Also, TCU ran the table in a round robin but because the Big 12 is a joke, they make them play some pointless game to end the year.

The games you win matter more than the games you lose. Winning a national championship is better than winning a conference championship, but if TCU loses to Georgia, they didn't win anything. And I agree that the Big 12 championship game is pointless, but we only have the game because of TCU, so it's hard to feel sorry for them.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vic Mackey said:

You would rather not play for the national championship? Give me the national championship appearance every single time. Georgia and Alabama have already shown you conference championships don't mean shit in the end.

My logic is fine. If TCU loses then the only thing they did better than Ohio State was get lucky to be the 3 seed instead of the 4. Their glorious (not used sarcastically, it really has been great) season will end with zero championships.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Conference championships are totally meaningless in most all cases and increasingly so in all college sports. Your take is worse than Juicy’s because you actually thought about it. TCU just beat Michigan and is playing for the title, and two idiots now have stated they’d rather have Michigan’s season. 

5 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

Conference championships are totally meaningless in most all cases and increasingly so in all college sports. Your take is worse than Juicy’s because you actually thought about it. TCU just beat Michigan and is playing for the title, and two idiots now have stated they’d rather have Michigan’s season. 

No, they're not meaningless at all. I feel sorry for you because Juicy is so in your head that you're getting emotional about a pretty straightforward discussion. Are you at least charging him rent for the headspace?

I've watched my alma mater lose a national championship game. My memory of winning the conference that season (and previous ones like 1977, 1983, etc.) is a lot more fond than showing up and losing a game with the national title on the line. If you are a big fan of showing up and losing then you may feel differently. 

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

I don’t think it is demeaning a team to say that a conference championship means something. TCU made the final, if they win it they had the best season of anyone. If they lose they have a season of almosts with really nothing to show for it except losing twice in championship games.

Maybe I feel different because Michigan hadn’t won the big ten in literally 20 years, so winning the big ten is a pretty big deal.

Michigan will get conference championship rings and put up another banner. Unless TCU wins next Monday they won’t unless they throw some runner up banners up.

If TCU wins obviously you take TCUs season.

But if next Tuesday you have Michigan 13-1 big ten champs and TCU 13-2 with two championship game losses, IMO it’s clear who had the better season. 10 years from now Michigan will still be 2022 big ten champs. TCU will be the team that beat the big ten champs and runner up to Kstate.

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

No, they're not meaningless at all. I feel sorry for you because Juicy is so in your head that you're getting emotional about a pretty straightforward discussion. Are you at least charging him rent for the headspace?

Lol. Y’all have a great day celebrating your collective lack of intelligence. 

18 hours ago, Stunns38 said:

Yeah, I have no hate for them. Plus they have some nice female talent.

Yes, I married one of them.  And calmly listened to all her trash talk before the 2019 Sugar Bowl.  Walking around New Orleans that year I saw at least 3 other couples with Longhorn guys and Bulldawg girls.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Juicy said:

They ran a fleaflicker that worked out pretty well.  

• Like 1

They ran a fleaflicker that worked out pretty well.  

The flea flicker has been a staple for the past two years and it definitely works well.

The Philly special was an atrocious call on the two yard line for a team that prides itself on smashball.

If you want to break tendency there line up big and play action to one of the TE or lineman. Can’t run a super slow developing play that takes you back 10 yards when you only need 2. Not only did they not score but they gave away the field position that made going for it make sense.

Well, when they lose Monday, they'll have no banners to hang and nobody will remember who was in the bracket 3 years from now.
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, DaysOff said:
2 hours ago, Porterhouse said:

Well, when they lose Monday, they'll have no banners to hang and nobody will remember who was in the bracket 3 years from now.

Everyone will remember TCU was in the final, and was by far the best conference team this year - 50 years from now. Do you remember or care that Baylor won the Big 12 CCG last year?  I certainly don’t care, wouldn’t care if it were Texas (except that we wouldn’t be 5-7) and had totally forgotten until a friend told me this morning. Conference championships are trending in football what NFL/NBA division champs are, and what conference champs in college hoops / baseball are: utterly meaningless except indicative of your team’s success.  It’s only going to be more pronounced with the CFP expansion.

It’s just a matter of time before brackets in CFP and hopefully NFL/NHL emulate the only league that has gotten it right - the NBA. I don’t remember the SW Division champ in 2006 or 2011. But I sure as shit instantly know the Mavs were the Western Conf champs and NBA champs in ‘11. Oh the Spurs were SW Div champs both those years?  Yeah nobody cares about that. 

5 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

"The loss extended Michigan's woes in the postseason. The Wolverines have now lost six straight bowl games."

Michigan fans devastated.  Harbaugh did some stupid shit again in a big game.  🙄

3 hours ago, Huckleberry said:

At Michigan maybe.  Harbaugh is continuing the tradition of B0 Schembeckler and Fritz Daimler-Chrysler by extolling the winning of the conference after losing the bowl game. The quirky difference is that JH has lost the Orange (2) and Fiesta while somehow dodging the Rose. 

3 hours ago, bullet said:

They should have had a shot in 2010 and 2014.

TCU is the 2010 co-champion. 

9 hours ago, slorch said:

You're saying Dykes got lucky this year, but it's impossible the same 'luck' could have happened at another program.

He's a good fucking coach who has earned every bit of what happened to his program this season.

He is not a good coach. People are saying this NOW, but before this season he wasnt even thought of as a P5 coach for anyone with deep pockets at because of how middling his records have been. But now he's propped up as some genius. Go take a look at the records I posted of his from Cal to SMU and tell me he's a "good coach". He was an afterthought before this season by literally everyone, which is why is was hired by TCU  (great hire this year, obviously), yet USC, ND, Texas, and anyone else with big pockets never sniffed him for a reason. 

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

He is not a good coach. People are saying this NOW, but before this season he wasnt even thought of as a P5 coach for anyone with deep pockets at because of how middling his records have been. But now he's propped up as some genius. Go take a look at the records I posted of his from Cal to SMU and tell me he's a "good coach". He was an afterthought before this season by literally everyone, which is why is was hired by TCU  (great hire this year, obviously), yet USC, ND, Texas, and anyone else with big pockets never sniffed him for a reason. 

So...Not a Texas guy?

Yeah,  we knew that because he's in the Championship game.

Just now, slorch said:

So...Not a Texas guy?

You're focusing on Texas, but did you see him getting interviews from any of the other big time schools? Like someone else said, Seven win Steve should also apply to Dykes for his career, and maybe worse. 

2 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You're focusing on Texas, but did you see him getting interviews from any of the other big time schools? Like someone else said, Seven win Steve should also apply to Dykes for his career, and maybe worse. 

Someday you'll have the perfect coach... or VY that can overcome it.

2 minutes ago, slorch said:

Someday you'll have the perfect coach... or VY that can overcome it.

UM, ok? What exactly does that have to do with no one else touched him and he caught lightening in a bottle this year?

Shit, maybe those big donors at Tech will make him an offer he can't refuse and he'll take y'all to the promised land. His entire career shows he's good for it, don't you want him now with your roster since he can magically take anyone's roster and make the CFP like the boss he is now?

Edited by Spider2YBanana
  • Haha 1

Except that he's currently sitting at 13 wins on the season and leading his team to a national championship game. Seven Win Steve hasn't accomplished that feat.

1 minute ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Maybe he will. If Dykes can do it, why can't Steve? 

In your scenario, Dykes isn't a good coach. Using that logic, I should be able to get a college football national championship game. If it's so easy to do why doesn't every slapdick coach get his team there?

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, royiv said:

In your scenario, Dykes isn't a good coach. Using that logic, I should be able to get a college football national championship game. If it's so easy to do why doesn't every slapdick coach get his team there?

Why didn't he do it with the two other teams he was a HC for, yet in one season he's now a savant who can take anyone's team to the championship game?

Should we forget that even Ed Oregeron won a championship? But his true colors showed after that season, but I'm sure Dykes will just keep chugging that TCU machine along. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

18 minutes ago, slorch said:

So...Not a Texas guy?

Lol. I mean it’s a crazy point. “We didn’t think Dykes was any good, so despite what our eyes told us this year we are going to conclude that he’s not any good.”

Texas fans should give their left nuts to have Sonny. 

Why didn't he do it with the two other teams he was a HC for, yet in one season he's now a savant who can take anyone's team to the championship game?

To start, he has been the HC at three other schools, but that's not the point. You don't get to a national championship game by being a bad coach. He did a great job building a staff at TCU and there's a lot more financial support in Ft. Worth than there is in Berkeley, Dallas or Ruston. It's pretty obvious to anyone that follow college football that he's done a pretty decent job evolving into the CEO type role that good coaches have to be in the current landscape. He's not carrying around a play sheet and calling plays from the sideline.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

You’re a fucking idiot. He was the head coach at LA Tech, Cal and SMU. Cal is a P5 program in name only - the administration doesn’t give a shit about athletics which shows in their facilities, recruiting, etc. Dykes is now at a P5 program that gives a damn about football and now has TCU in the championship game. He is a good coach. You can’t say otherwise. Also, good coaches get better over time and learn from their experiences at their prior stops. That applies to Dykes.

Edited by Macklemore
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, royiv said:

To start, he has been the HC at three other schools, but that's not the point. You don't get to a national championship game by being a bad coach. He did a great job building a staff at TCU and there's a lot more financial support in Ft. Worth than there is in Berkeley, Dallas or Ruston. It's pretty obvious to anyone that follow college football that he's done a pretty decent job evolving into the CEO type role that good coaches have to be in the current landscape. He's not carrying around a play sheet and calling plays from the sideline.

Hey, if you want to believe he's going to make TCU a juggernaut, have at it. History says otherwise, but you do you. 

1 minute ago, Macklemore said:

You’re a fucking idiot. He was the head coach at LA Tech, Cal and SMU. Cal is a P5 program in name only - the administration doesn’t give a shit about athletics which shows in their facilities, recruiting, etc. Dykes is now at a P5 program that gives a damn about football and now has TCU in the championship game. He is a good coach. You can’t say otherwise. Also, coaches that are good get better over time and learn from their prior stops. That applies to Dykes.

So can that happen to Sark? Can he learn and win? What about Ed O? 

10 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Hey, if you want to believe he's going to make TCU a juggernaut, have at it. History says otherwise, but you do you. 

He got them to the national championship game. That seems like a pretty decent metric.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

So can that happen to Sark? Can he learn and win? What about Ed O? 

Ed O won a national championship and got lazy. He was a better coach at LSU than he was at Ole Miss. Sark is a better coach too. We should be so lucky to have Sark get us a national championship.