2023 Rain Thread

South Austin

Just stopped, looks like we're at about 1.25" for this 24-hour period.  I can't remember though when I emptied it out yesterday.  Friday was a letdown overall.  But yesterday and this morning made up for quite a bit.  Have two neighbors with family coming in from up north thinking, "You're talking about a draught.  Your jackass neighbor has mulch and soil all washed down his driveway into the street."  Yeah well, fuck you.  We need it, and it's Christmas Eve...I ain't cleaning up shit.  Let your grandkids ride their new motor scooter somewhere else...this is my Christmas Present...free water from the sky!  

But yeah, we won't see what this last 48 hours did for the lakes until runoff is complete, but is the best it's received (not looked, but received), in a few months.  Next week bring another round hopefully.  

Streets should be dried up by later today, no jinx.  Safe travels, draught-stricken Mad Max Road Warriors.  

and i spoke too soon, in a good way (for once).  New torrential downpour in close-in SW Austin.  Wow, it was starting to clear up and now 1-2tenths in less than 10 minutes.  That got weird for a second.  Already starting to let up.  gonna go check the creek in a bit, this may actually get interesting.  If Nicole44 is behind me though, lemme know.

Edited by YGIFS

On 12/22/2023 at 5:06 PM, Brisketexan said:

The story on the water systems in Spain is amazing, and ancient.
The oldest continuously operating court in the world? The Tribunal de les Aigües de València - the Water Tribunal of the plain of Valencia. It has convened weekly for the past 1,100 years, and adjudicates disputes about rights to the water distributed in local canals. Pretty cool.

Csb/ The Spanish built acequias in the mountains of NM, and they are still overseen by mayorodomos. While visiting friends in Abiquiu, I helped dam the acequia at the start of our friend’s allotted irrigation time, and watched the water flow over an alfalfa field that once belonged to Georgia O’Keeffe, before it watered our friend’s garden. 

That, too, was cool.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Willfully Horn said:

Csb/ The Spanish built acequias in the mountains of NM, and they are still overseen by mayorodomos. While visiting friends in Abiquiu, I helped dam the acequia at the start of our friend’s allotted irrigation time, and watched the water flow over an alfalfa field that once belonged to Georgia O’Keeffe, before it watered our friend’s garden. 

That, too, was cool.

Nerd. 

• Haha 1

No rain until Tuesday it looks like, so here's where we will end up:

image.png.6debcddd7f670bf8b08c9f495f38edba.png

image.png.2aa8dfd76cf55870697ffe1a65ef1abe.png

Looks like about 9" below normal or 75% of our average rainfall. Considering the hellscape that was this summer, that's not the worst, I guess.

12 hours ago, FirstTimeCaller said:

No rain until Tuesday it looks like, so here's where we will end up:

image.png.6debcddd7f670bf8b08c9f495f38edba.png

image.png.2aa8dfd76cf55870697ffe1a65ef1abe.png

Looks like about 9" below normal or 75% of our average rainfall. Considering the hellscape that was this summer, that's not the worst, I guess.

Yeah but that’s two years in a row. So we are actually pushing a near 20 inch deficit. That’s really bad.

Everything's fine.  You guys are just alarmists hyped up by media hyperbole.  There was a small brushfire this morning down near Campbell's Hole.  Quickly put out by our local fire house.  A brushfire.  In December.  Nope, this El Nino cycle will save us.  

Yeah, this is a particularly bad year for people to set off fireworks on NYE.  We say that every year, but this is especially bad since the weeks leading up have been bone dry and forecast shows substantial winds that night.  

But as usual my neighbors are of the mindset, "Been in Texas for decades, ain't gonna let a lack of rain ruin our New Year's tradition!"  Yeah, well we all live on a shared creekbed that is a tributary of Barton Springs.  If you listen at night, you can hear the sounds of limbs crackling and snapping in the wind.  The only moisture in the creekbed is the blood of the dead animals down there that the vultures are waiting to feed on.  But you do you folks, set the shit on fire.  

Edited by YGIFS

• 2 weeks later...

The year was moist.  Substantial downpour for the last two hours.  Between this morning and the drizzle we had midweek last week, we are about 2” for the year.  Which, given last year, does mean jackshit in the grand scheme except weeds.  But I’ll take it.  

looks like even more expected late morning for Austin.  Based on just the radar, looks like it’s helping the lakes but hard to tell without that cool runoff tool some of y’all lost after a rain. It’s weird how you never see Nicole post anything after a rain like this for a day or two.  

• Hook 'Em 1