2023 Texas High School Football

Really big upset.

Burnet 41-Davenport 34

Burnet’s QB iced things with a long TD run late in the game and then got the last gasp onside recovery with 10 seconds left.

That was a home game for Davenport. The Lampasas broadcasters were trying to figure out the tiebreakers if all three win next week as Lampasas earlier in district beat Burnet 35-14. All three are 3-1 and Burnet could finish anywhere from 1st-4th depending upon how they do against Taylor next week. 

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Drool 1

In 2ADII, Windthorst( 7-2/ 5-0) takes down #9 Seymour 54-22 in a game that was tied 8-8 early and then WHS stretched to 30-8.  This game was for the District title, and while the Trojans have plenty of tradition, the Panthers( 7-2/ 4-1) were most people's pick to win this tilt.

In 2AD1, #6 Hawley 34, Stamford 30 decides their District champ last night.

1 hour ago, slorch said:

In 2ADII, Windthorst( 7-2/ 5-0) takes down #9 Seymour 54-22 in a game that was tied 8-8 early and then WHS stretched to 30-8.  This game was for the District title, and while the Trojans have plenty of tradition, the Panthers( 7-2/ 4-1) were most people's pick to win this tilt.

Csb: I always google these small towns you mention on here. Lived in Texas my whole life and have never once been anywhere in the state much far west of 35. Makes me want to do a road trip sometime just for the hell of it.

I love all levels of Texas High School football, any and all of it.

The small towns will always be special to me.  It's just a different experience.

And as far that roadtrip goes, if you get a tight grouping of sites in the area or regional round of the playoffs, you can easily pull off a Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday PM game... if one was so inclined. My favorite trip was a combo of watching Abernathy play Nocona at Tuscola/ Jim Ned on a Friday night and staying at hotel in Sweetwater that night.  Next day, drove to Odessa for  WF Rider vs EP Chapin at Ratliff in the afternoon and Windthorst vs Iraan back  at the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater on Saturday evening.  That was the jackpot for me because I had connections to all 3 games. Through the years I've gone to a shit-ton of games to which I had no connection other that I just wanted to see the two teams playing or maybe a couple of highly touted prospects.  It is an illness for me...LOL.

Edited by slorch

I love all levels of Texas High School football, any and all of it.
The small towns will always be special to me.  It's just a different experience.
And as far that roadtrip goes, if you get a tight grouping of sites in the area or regional round of the playoffs, you can easily pull off a Friday night, Saturday afternoon, and Saturday PM game... if one was so inclined. My favorite trip was a combo of watching Abernathy play Nocona at Tuscola/ Jim Ned on a Friday night and staying at hotel in Sweetwater that night.  Next day, drove to Odessa for  WF Rider vs EP Chapin at Ratliff in the afternoon and Windthorst vs Iraan back  at the Mustang Bowl in Sweetwater on Saturday evening.  That was the jackpot for me because I had connections to all 3 games. Through the years I've gone to a shit-ton of games to which I had no connection other that I just wanted to see the two teams playing or maybe a couple of highly touted prospects.  It is an illness for me...LOL.

As a former TXHS FB official, I concur! Many a Friday nights were spent officiating Varsity games on Friday nights, not counting the occasional Thursday or Saturday tilts.

Friday Nights in TXFB season has no comparison. The thing is, the bigger the school’s classification doesn’t correspond to the better atmosphere.
As an official, you can just “feel” the vibes of a packed 3-5A Stadium, especially the one-school towns.

I’ve officiated 2-3A games that had a better attendance and atmosphere than some of the “inner-city” 6-A schools. It’s actually kind of sad, when you looks around prior to KO and realize that not every child “participating” tonight has a parent in the stands, whether they are a player, cheer squad, band, and etc. 30-40 years ago, during my youth, that wasn’t thought of, meaning not attending.

Old Man rant out!

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Not gonna ask you the worst, unless you want to divulge; but do you or your crew have a favorite stadium or crowd to call games for, whether it might be their locker room/ hospitality room for the officials or just general atmosphere?

Not gonna ask you the worst, unless you want to divulge; but do you or your crew have a favorite stadium or crowd to call games for, whether it might be their locker room/ hospitality room for the officials or just general atmosphere?

I’ve done many that would be Top 5. I’ve officiated awesome Kerrville vs Boerne, Wimberley vs Fredericksburg, all the SA NISD or NEISD games and etc, as well as other mid-size schools with playoff implications. We’re talking regular season games and not playoff games.

I’ve done the Battle of Cibolo/Schertz with SC vs Steele and Judson games when they were good. But one of my “all time” favorites was many years ago officiating the “Spinach Bowl” - Crystal City vs Carrizo Springs.

We (my crew) arrived in Crystal City around 4:30, for a 7:30 KO. People had to be moved off the streets surrounding the school, so we could park and get into our locker room. People were bursting at the seems to get into the once empty stadium. We walked out around 6:00 for pre-game activities and the place was packed, let alone 3-4 deep surrounding the stadium fence line. This is 1-1/2 hours prior to KO!!! It was amazing the local interest/involvement in this local rivalry.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 6

5 hours ago, slorch said:

So Windthorst is the hometown of a high school algebra teacher I had. She was married to the boys basketball coach. They met during a college basketball game he was officiating when she was PLAYING in the game. I wanted to see if any of her family was on their roster and sure enough there are two players with the last name Anderle (Last name before she got married). I think most of her family still lives there. Mrs. Antilley and her husband moved to Fort Mill, SC when he left coaching in the late 90’s. Much better job in computer security for Bank of America. He is from Graford and had a chance to go the college basketball coaching route, but chose not to join Billy Gillispie (Also Graford) because he wanted a family. His assistant from my high school days, Morris Davis, settled eventually in Seymour where he became the principal for awhile. I believe both his boys graduated from Seymour. His wife still works for the school district I believe. 

All I got on Stamford is I have been through there AND on Thursday I was in Stamford, CT where I lived for a year. I have a doctor up there still. While I was there I typed in Google Walmart near Stamford and it showed Stamford, TX instead as the result!

Edited by UpperWestside

Desoto jumps out to a quick 14-3 lead.

2 plays. 2 TDs for 2025 SMU commit Daylon Singleton. 79 yard reception and a 96 yard KO return 

In these reschedule Saturday games, want to is a big issue. Desoto clearly looks like they want to play this game more than Duncanville

• Drool 1

Willis 60

The Woodlands 52.

That is just fucking crazy, and also is a huge change for the District. The Wildkats have basically sucked ass since the days of Michael Bishop.  Now they have a young man named DJ Lagway to change their fortunes.  The Florida commit is absolutely a player of interest as the POs approach.

Edited by slorch

1 minute ago, wutang75 said:

People were talking about Duncanville like it was the Team of the Decade.

Guilty

DeSoto was the faster, hungrier team. Beyond Duncanville's big 4 or 5 4-5 star prospects, DeSoto actually looked like the deeper team with good players at every position

May have been a situation where DeSoto looked forward to this game all year and to Duncanville it was a game they had to play. Mathis is a hell of a coach though, and DeSoto is a great team

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HornsOverIthaca said:

Do you have a guess on the severity of the injury to the tall Westlake receiver?

I don't know but will have my kid ask on Monday. The way he went down and stayed down thought it was a broken leg. He did walk off gingerly but it didn't seem as bad as it was at first.

4 hours ago, cmontexas said:

He didn't play in the 1st half but he's in now. Must have been suspended

He got ejected in the game last week. Had to sit out the first half of this game as a result.

53 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

Guilty

DeSoto was the faster, hungrier team. Beyond Duncanville's big 4 or 5 4-5 star prospects, DeSoto actually looked like the deeper team with good players at every position

I don’t know how anyone in that D2 bracket is going to hang with this Desoto team.

1 hour ago, wutang75 said:

People were talking about Duncanville like it was the Team of the Decade. Is Desoto that good? Anybody got some details here?

Who was talking about Duncanville as the team of the decade?  They’ve lost three of the last four title games they’ve played in…to the same team each time. 

Back then, if you didn’t win District or be the runner up (2nd) you didn’t make the playoffs. It definitely isn’t like that today! He coached a team that went 8-1-1 and the tie game lost on penetrations, so they didn’t make the playoffs.

Hook’em!!!