2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

Alright, @Helobious, I am viewing the 6A Bracket for Region 4.

It looks like our undersized, plucky band of lovable underdog Chaps have to face off against potentially Reagan, East Central, San Benito, Edinburg North, United or Taft. Of those schools, which is the best?

If Vandegrift can get past LT, they are potentially facing Johnson, Brennan, United South, Pharr San Juan, Los Fresnos, of those schools, which is the best? Who would be favored to make the Quarterfinal besides Vandy & Westlake? 

This season, it is irrelevant whether you go D1 or D2, as Duncanville, North Shore (D1) and Desoto (D2) await you.  

50 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Alright, @Helobious, I am viewing the 6A Bracket for Region 4.

It looks like our undersized, plucky band of lovable underdog Chaps have to face off against potentially Reagan, East Central, San Benito, Edinburg North, United or Taft. Of those schools, which is the best?

If Vandegrift can get past LT, they are potentially facing Johnson, Brennan, United South, Pharr San Juan, Los Fresnos, of those schools, which is the best? Who would be favored to make the Quarterfinal besides Vandy & Westlake? 

This season, it is irrelevant whether you go D1 or D2, as Duncanville, North Shore (D1) and Desoto (D2) await you.  

For Westlake: Reagan. United does actually have an FCS commit at QB in Atzel Chavez but as a team they’re a large step below Reagan. The rattlers have a damn good RB in Cole Pryor. 
For Vandy: Johnson. They have an electric QB in TCU commit Ty Hawkins and a very good RB as well in Bubba Johnson. Defense is suspect. Brennan looked terrible to start the year but has finished strong. New braunfels has a tendency to sneak up on teams though, they could be one to watch. 

Overall, Reagan is probably the best team in that bracket after the Austin schools 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

8 minutes ago, Helobious said:

For Westlake: Reagan. United does actually have an FCS commit at QB in Atzel Chavez but as a team they’re a large step below Reagan. The rattlers have a damn good RB in Cole Pryor. 
For Vandy: Johnson. They have an electric QB in TCU commit Ty Hawkins and a very good RB as well in Bubba Johnson. Defense is suspect. Brennan looked terrible to start the year but has finished strong. New braunfels has a tendency to sneak up on teams though, they could be one to watch. 

Overall, Reagan is probably the best team in that bracket after the Austin schools 

Thanks for the update. Westlake is not dominant like past years. They are susceptible to the long pass. The QB, who will eventually be a D1 commit, is only a sophomore and has very few starts. This could be the year we lose before the semi-final, especially if we have to face Vandegrift. They are ranked much higher on MaxPreps.  

1 hour ago, Helobious said:

Thoughts on Reagan's QB, Brad Jackson?  He's committed to TXST, but I haven't seen him at all, other than hudl vids.

4 minutes ago, GJ Winne said:

Thoughts on Reagan's QB, Brad Jackson?  He's committed to TXST, but I haven't seen him at all, other than hudl vids.

He’s good, not really asked to do a whole lot other than take care of the ball. I don’t really think “FBS talent” when I see him play. But I’ve been wrong before. 

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don’t really think “FBS talent” when I see him play. 

Same, even in his highlight clips.

6 minutes ago, Helobious said:

But I’ve been wrong before. 

I eagerly look forward to this year's playoff predictions. 😃😃

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

1. Top finishers get one home game. 

Unless you’re Aledo and make it to the third round this year. We get a home game in that round because Midlothian fucked up and chose a home game last year.

Which brings me to this. Other than the first round, how the fuck are stadiums chosen? Because that confused the shit out of me last year. Coin flip this coin flip that. Wtf?
I eagerly look forward to this year's playoff predictions. 

It’s the State Championships where his talent really shows through.
  • Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Fudbelty said:

Which brings me to this. Other than the first round, how the fuck are stadiums chosen? Because that confused the shit out of me last year. Coin flip this coin flip that. Wtf?

It's a coin flip, but if teams played the previous year, they will often flip to the other home city for the game.

Our Westlake Chaps have now played 3 playoff games vs North Shore and all three games ended up in Houston, and were pretty much home games for them.  One was for the sate championship so was at Reliant stadium, but the other two were two lost coin flips!   

8 hours ago, YGIFS said:

How many "rounds" of the playoffs are played at campus sites before they move to the larger neutral site venues?  

2?  3?  

It can also vary in the later rounds if it is a rematch of previous years, sometimes they will agree to flip locations towards who had to travel the time before.  Most of the time, they are going to be neutral sites in rounds 3-5, with 6 being at JerryWorld.

Yeah, I knew about the later rounds since we start watching on TV about then. But she’s old enough now To want to start going to games.  I honestly had no idea how the 1/2 rounds go in terms of venue other than it always seems to favor our local team which does a deep run into the playoffs each year.  Growing up

in Chicago, we played higher seed home until the final 4 or 8 on the frozen tundra shithole downstate.  Which we never made.  Because reasons.  

Usually after the first two weeks, into and after Bi-District, most larger area stadiums are opened up enough, so that most games are neutral site games, or at least not on campus for the larger 5-6A teams. Your big School Districts, like in SA with shared stadiums doesn’t give a home field advantage, except for travel distance of one or both participants.

What I will say though is coaches in (say El Paso) requesting out of town/chapter officials tasked to officiate a week 1 or 2 crew to come in and do the game. UIL/TASO over the last 5 or so years have said “OK!” Bull shit, if you’re asking a referee to pay to fly to an “early” playoff game, maybe even spend a night or two in a hotel, only to make roughly 150 for the game, then get reimbursed over a month later for flight, hotel, and etc. That’s asking a lot for most, as most officials aren’t self-employed or can just “front load” all there playoff expenditures, while waiting on reimbursement sometimes a month later.

The first two weeks of the playoffs should be officiated by local or surrounding chapters where no or little travel is involved! UIL/TASO needs to just tell them to just go win. Once it’s around the regional round, that is understandable, as that happens often. To be asked to “travel” to officiate a game of teams 9-1 vs 4-6 is crazy!

Hook’em!!!

10 hours ago, Helobious said:

He’s good, not really asked to do a whole lot other than take care of the ball. I don’t really think “FBS talent” when I see him play. But I’ve been wrong before. 

He transferred to Reagan after starting as a freshman (thru junior season) at Cy Creek in a very different offense.  Threw for over 7000 career yards prior to transferring.  District 17-6a is pretty weak but he's done much more than take care of the ball prior to Reagan. Click on tabs for previous season stats. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/tx/san-antonio/reagan-rattlers/athletes/brad-jackson/football/stats/?careerid=mp8tlr2hkerbb

• Drool 1

3 hours ago, msucolt45 said:

Usually after the first two weeks, into and after Bi-District, most larger area stadiums are opened up enough, so that most games are neutral site games, or at least not on campus for the larger 5-6A teams. Your big School Districts, like in SA with shared stadiums doesn’t give a home field advantage, except for travel distance of one or both participants.

What I will say though is coaches in (say El Paso) requesting out of town/chapter officials tasked to officiate a week 1 or 2 crew to come in and do the game. UIL/TASO over the last 5 or so years have said “OK!” Bull shit, if you’re asking a referee to pay to fly to an “early” playoff game, maybe even spend a night or two in a hotel, only to make roughly 150 for the game, then get reimbursed over a month later for flight, hotel, and etc. That’s asking a lot for most, as most officials aren’t self-employed or can just “front load” all there playoff expenditures, while waiting on reimbursement sometimes a month later.

The first two weeks of the playoffs should be officiated by local or surrounding chapters where no or little travel is involved! UIL/TASO needs to just tell them to just go win. Once it’s around the regional round, that is understandable, as that happens often. To be asked to “travel” to officiate a game of teams 9-1 vs 4-6 is crazy!

Hook’em!!!

This is pretty f'd up to learn.  I mean, that could be in the ballpark of $1000 between flights, hotel, and food.  And then to wait well over a month to get paid back, that's asking a lot.  For a state that just smiles when some two-bit ISD builds a $30mm football stadium despite having the library and math department of a Peruvian half-way house...to ask that of part time referees is embarrassing.  This state has so many ugly underbellies to it, it's disgusting.  Our HS football band can't afford to put in a crosswalk to get to their rides home safely after away games at midnight on Fridays because of recapture.  But hey, this is the year we'll fix it , right?  

36 minutes ago, Dennis Taylor said:

He transferred to Reagan after starting as a freshman (thru junior season) at Cy Creek in a very different offense.  Threw for over 7000 career yards prior to transferring.  District 17-6a is pretty weak but he's done much more than take care of the ball prior to Reagan. Click on tabs for previous season stats. 

https://www.maxpreps.com/tx/san-antonio/reagan-rattlers/athletes/brad-jackson/football/stats/?careerid=mp8tlr2hkerbb

Oh I know he was a transfer, I wrote about him in my preseason write up. I’m sure he could do more but they have a real weapon at RB and I’m sure they content to lean on him. I just don’t see high college potential in Jackson’s arm, could be wrong. I was a 5 star QB recruit in high school I know what it takes. Could still throw a pigskin a quarter mile. 

• Drool 1

23 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Oh I know he was a transfer, I wrote about him in my preseason write up. I’m sure he could do more but they have a real weapon at RB and I’m sure they content to lean on him. I just don’t see high college potential in Jackson’s arm, could be wrong. I was a 5 star QB recruit in high school I know what it takes. Could still throw a pigskin a quarter mile. 

Over them mountains I bet

23 hours ago, Fudbelty said:

They forfeited last year and again this year. “Not enough kids.”

During their home game against Crane, the clock ran the entire second half and Crane played their JV.  Crane won 68-0.  Crane won that district, and they will likely win only their first playoff game as in recent years.  

2 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

I think I am going to go Clark vs Judson as my 3rd or some shit like that cousin is a starting receiver for Clark. 

That would’ve been a game of the year type matchup in the 80s and 90s. I think Judson wins in an upset, they’ve played a way tougher schedule with some close losses and have the talent advantage. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Will they spend even more on a stadium in 5 years when they open their 5th High School?

Didn't realize how few high schools they currently have now (3). Yeah 2nd stadium can wait. Their other stadium opened 4yrs ago, cost less than $50M, included a natatorium and has 50% more seating.

• Rage+1 1

5 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Voters say no...

I didn't realize stadium would have only been 8,000 seats as well. That's a ridiculous amount for that size stadium.

This is heartbreaking. Think of the poor children who will have to play in normally-priced facilities.

• Haha 1