2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

1 minute ago, TreatyOak said:

@Helobious should Westlake be worried about Reagan? I know you said they have a good QB and they're undefeated. Looks liek tye blown out most of the teams they've played. We rolled Brennan last year. Are they better? 

Their RB makes the offense go. Their defense is better than brennan’s last year, but Brennan had a better offense. Definitely not a team to be taken lightly. But I mean Marcus Wright isn’t walking through that door. Westlake should win. 

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Not as sure about 5A D1 region 4 anymore. Miller looks like a total machine. It’s pretty interesting how quickly they became dominant and how much the uh demographics of the team changed once this coach got there. Just asking questions. 

what demographics are you talking about

2 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:
6 hours ago, UpperWestside said:
Just talked with one of my friends that coaches at Carter and he is looking forward to the challenge of playing Stephenville this week. He stepped away from coaching football for 23 years I believe (He’s a basketball guy first and foremost), but the last time he was coaching football he was part of one of the biggest upsets in Texas HS football history. He was a young coach on the staff at WW Samuell when they shocked top ranked Highland Park in the first round (Before getting bounced by Ennis the next week). He still to this day has never willingly scheduled Highland Park because of the racist things that were said by their fans after the game in the parking lot to their players and coaches. He’s still salty anytime that school is brought up. 

Highland Park has some of the worst people on the planet.

I've lived in HP for 10 years and have never heard a racist comment ever.  I know people hate Highland Park because it's a bunch of rich people, but it's not a racist place at all.  

14 minutes ago, chainsaw said:

what demographics are you talking about

That team was never… as athletic as they are now in years past. They had an all-world QB a couple years ago named Andrew Body that grew up and went to middle school in Taft, TX. Another all world receiver in Lonnie Adkism that went to middle school in flour bluff. I think it’s clear how they ended up at Miller. Recruiting is a way of life for coastal bend schools though. Moody did it for baseball, then Carroll, now Sinton. Vets did it in basketball. Miller in football now.

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

That team was never… as athletic as they are now in years past. They had an all-world QB a couple years ago named Andrew Body that grew up and went to middle school in Taft, TX. Another all world receiver in Lonnie Adkism that went to middle school in flour bluff. I think it’s clear how they ended up at Miller. Recruiting is a way of life for coastal bend schools though. Moody did it for baseball, then Carroll, now Sinton. Vets did it in basketball. Miller in football now.

not as many lunchpail guys, or coaches on the field?

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I might be mistaken, but I think Westlake-Reagan is the only game in the state involving two unbeatens.

It is a function of how they divide class 6A after the regular season. It cannot happen in the lower classes in the area round.

11 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

I've lived in HP for 10 years and have never heard a racist comment ever.  I know people hate Highland Park because it's a bunch of rich people, but it's not a racist place at all.  

Doesn't Jerry Jones live there.  

• Haha 1

Bored this morning. Looking at their schedule just 3 of Westlake’s 11 wins are against teams with winning records. Reagan has 5 of their 11 vs winning teams. Westlake should still win but watch out for that one. 

In 6A R4 D2 SA Jay has just 3 of their 9 wins vs winning teams. Weslaco has 4 of their 11. SA Harlan has 6 of their 11. Harlingen 3 of their 8. Steele has 4 of their 10. Dripping springs has 3 of their 9. Tell me I’m stupid for picking Harlan to win the region. I’ve found the inefficiency. 

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

True, district champs can't play in the sub-6A brackets until round 3.  I'm an idiot for looking through all those brackets.

Let's be honest, quests like that are fun time wasters.  and many of us on here are gonna look through them almost daily until Thursday.

I love playoff season, where the games are, and how matchups go/ certain Districts perform.

This seems as good a place as any to post this. I saw that Mississippi State fired their head coach this morning. The offensive coordinator was Kevin Barbay. Pretty distinctive name if you know anything about smaller schools in Texas. Sure enough Kevin is the nephew of legendary Newton head coach Curtis Barbay. Not real sure why he abandoned the Air Raid in favor of an offense that scored 33 points in the final four games before he was sent packing, but he’ll have some free time on his hands to sort that out.

• Hook 'Em 1

17 hours ago, Ravishing Rick said:

I never spent any time in Highland Park, but my friend can recall that night like it was yesterday. People can sometimes show you the worst of themselves in moments of great disappointment like the time after that game in 1999. My friend is a guy that gets along with pretty much everyone (He’s a SOC grad), but man you mention Highland Park and he still wants nothing to do with them 24 years later because of that night.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

You know we're getting old when not only do we realize that none of the players have any fucking idea what "lunchpail guys" means...but neither do the defensive/o-line coaches using the term.  

"I mean you just look over there at that historical program.  And their trench guys all just bringing their pails of cured meats and a thermos of Ovaltine.  Old School hitters over there.  No facemasks, metal cleats, non-existent health insurance.  You gotta respect that mentality."  

• Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Helobious said:

Bored this morning. Looking at their schedule just 3 of Westlake’s 11 wins are against teams with winning records. Reagan has 5 of their 11 vs winning teams. Westlake should still win but watch out for that one. 

Westlake and Reagan do share a common opponent: Round Rock

Reagan beat em 35-28
Westlake won 35-3

Westlake doesn't pack the same offensive firepower that we have in past seasons, but the defense is as salty as ever. One aspect of Westlake that makes the team so successful is the attention to special teams. They always block punts, especially in the playoffs, with key punt blocks last season against San Benito and Brennan. However, Westlake begins and ends with the offensive and defensive lines. I expect a hard-fought game with Westlake's line being the difference in the 4th quarter.

Westlake isn't strong enough to overcome North Shore or Duncanville, and we may even lose to a rejuvenated Lake Travis in the quarters. @Longhorn94

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Reagan beat em 35-28
Westlake won 35-3

Westlake doesn't pack the same offensive firepower that we have in past seasons, but the defense is as salty as ever. One aspect of Westlake that makes the team so successful is the attention to special teams. They always block punts, especially in the playoffs, with key punt blocks last season against San Benito and Brennan. However, Westlake begins and ends with the offensive and defensive lines. I expect a hard-fought game with Westlake's line being the difference in the 4th quarter.

Westlake isn't strong enough to overcome North Shore or Duncanville, and we may even lose to a rejuvenated Lake Travis in the quarters. @Longhorn94

Round Rock was winning that game in the fourth quarter too. 

Westlake should have no problem with Reagan.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

As far as Lake Travis vs Johnson, I don't see how Johnson can hang with LT. Johnson won a tight game w/ a 6-5 New Braunfels school 36-31. LT has one bad loss to Dripping Springs, but that is a very good team which could make it to the semis or even finals.

LT played Westlake very tough and knocked off #4 ranked Vandegrift. I dread the idea of having to face LT in the quarterfinals, as it's hard to beat a team twice in one season.  @Longhorn94

• Hook 'Em 1

39 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Reagan beat em 35-28
Westlake won 35-3

WL is the same old WL. They will make it to the semis at least. I wouldn't rule out another state title.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

As far as Lake Travis vs Johnson, I don't see how Johnson can hang with LT. Johnson won a tight game w/ a 6-5 New Braunfels school 36-31. LT has one bad loss to Dripping Springs, but that is a very good team which could make it to the semis or even finals.

LT played Westlake very tough and knocked off #4 ranked Vandegrift. I dread the idea of having to face LT in the quarterfinals, as it's hard to beat a team twice in one season.  @Longhorn94

I think we will be lucky to get past Johnson. Their QB is special. But we will give it our best.

The loss to Drip was inexcusable. I have never seen a LT team so disinterested in playing a game as that one. 

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Ty Hawkins is how they will hang with LT. How many current FBS QB commits has LT faced this year? He is probably the first. Their RB Loren Johnson is a beast too, and his backup Andres Benavides is no slouch either. Some really fast WRs should give the cavs headaches.

On defense Johnson is fucked.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Ty Hawkins is how they will hang with LT. How many current FBS QB commits has LT faced this year? He is probably the first. Their RB Loren Johnson is a beast too, and his backup Andres Benavides is no slouch either. Some really fast WRs should give the cavs headaches.

On defense Johnson is fucked.

They made a Louisville commit look like absolute garbage last week with their pressure up front

• Hook 'Em 2

Here's your fun with neutral sites scheduling Game of the Week:
image.png.c49b59ade20ce8b177e0559794d0458b.png

Friend’s kid plays for Frisco Emerson and was complaining about driving 5.5 hrs to a neutral site game in Lubbock.

They are playing the Canutillo Eagles. Canutillo is apparently a “Census Designated” area in El Paso. According to Wiki the original HS was built in 1960 and was actually on the west side of the Rio Grande.
  • Hook 'Em 1

40 minutes ago, TexPx said:

Friend’s kid plays for Frisco Emerson and was complaining about driving 5.5 hrs to a neutral site game in Lubbock.

They are playing the Canutillo Eagles. Canutillo is apparently a “Census Designated” area in El Paso. According to Wiki the original HS was built in 1960 and was actually on the west side of the Rio Grande.

If there was a “Bama” of El Paso football it’d be Canutillo. They had a memorable run all the way to the state semifinals in 2014. They haven’t replicated that since but they’re routinely solid and are the only team from out there that usually avoids embarrassment in the playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If there was a “Bama” of El Paso football it’d be Canutillo. They had a memorable run all the way to the state semifinals in 2014. They haven’t replicated that since but they’re routinely solid and are the only team from out there that usually avoids embarrassment in the playoffs. 

Might be an interesting game, except for being in Lubbock.
Emerson is pretty strong for a #3 in district. Lost close games to Argyle and Lake Dallas, who are both on to round 2. Beat the snot out of everyone else.

Here's your fun with neutral sites scheduling Game of the Week:
image.png.c49b59ade20ce8b177e0559794d0458b.png

That’s truly ridiculous with all the 5-6A stadiums that should’ve been considered within a radius of both of those two teams. Even playing a game around 45 miles of one and 60 of the other, should’ve been considered. I digress, as UIL/TASO sends officiating crews hundreds of miles out of their “local” area to officiate a first or second round playoff game. Nothing like officiating a game during week 1 or 2 and you’re assigned (from SA) to officiate a game in EP or Amarillo and it’s a game of 9-1 vs 5-5, or etc! The admins need to really crack down on that during these first two weeks, as it’s absurd.

I totally understand having a regional semi-final or Final, where the game is in Waco and they chose a Houston or SA chapter to do that game.
A couple years ago, my crew had to go to the Southern Boot (B-Ville) to officiate a 1st week playoff game, as both HC didn’t want “local” referees. That shit takes time and $$$ for those involved, as hell I had to take the day off from work, so we could be down there early enough, and we’re from SA!!!

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

We're still a week away from the juiciest matchups sub-6A, but this slate is pretty damn good:

Harlan-Harlingen  Harlan won 10 last season and is still undefeated this year, so they're no joke.  Harlingen (8-3) is not as good as they've been, so this one looks interesting.

Ryan-Abilene  IMO, Ryan turned their season around by moving a WR to QB, which livened up their offense.  Abilene has won 7 straight.

Spring Westfield-Klein Cain  Westfield is quietly 9-2 with an 8-game winner since losing to NS.  Cain's D is weak, allowing 388 points in 11 games, which should make the difference.

Lamar-Ridge Point  We're all still waiting for someone in the Houston area to take over as the perennial #3 power in the area behind Katy and NS.  Westfield once looked ready to do that, and both of these teams have knocked on the door.  Lamar has outscored opponents 613-49, but that's a reflection of a baby-soft schedule.  RP lost their first two to Westlake and Dickinson and haven't lost since, with nice wins over Hightower and George Ranch.  I think they pull this off.

Forney-Lone Star  Two really good 1-loss teams.  Forney's only L was 13-7 to Longview, while LS lost their season opener to Texarkana back in August.

Hamshire-Fannett -- H-F's only loss was to Silsbee.  The bad news is that Silsbee looks like the undefeated Gobblers' best comp.  

Anna-China Spring  The Cougars went 31-1 in winning state the last two seasons, but they've slipped to 8-3 so far.  Anna looked like the best team in 4A for awhile, but seems to have coasted lately.   They're bigger and faster than CS, but I cannot imagine CS going down easy in this one.  

Boerne-LaVernia  I'll call the winner of this one to win 4AD1R4.   LaVernia is strong and tough, as usual; the Bears lost back-to-back to Sinton and PLC, but have a huge 49-0 win over a good Beeville team recently.  Boerne's on a mission to return to Jerryworld after last year's choke in the title game and I can't pick against them.

Let's throw in Lampasas-Alice!  The Coyotes are 9-1 with a win over Calallen, and their only loss to CC Vets on 9/1.  Lampasas is good, but probably a year away with their youth.  The two best teams they've played (Wimberley and Davenport) really smacked them around.  They won't be out-talented, but I think they'll get out-experienced.

West Plains-Graham  Both 10-1.  The second-year program from Canyon lost their season opener 47-41 to 3A power Bushland, but has slaughtered everyone else.  Graham's only blemish is a 27-26 loss to Hirschi where everything went wrong.   This one could be REALLY good.

Stratford-Stamford  I always get these two confused.  Undefeated Stratford (located NORTH of Dumas) are the Elks and they're usually the team to beat in this region, with a state title in 2021 and a couple of Jerryworld appearances in 2019 and 2017.  The Stamford (N of Abilene) Bulldogs have one loss (Hawley) and they had a great 3-year run at Jerryworld (2-1) back in 2011-13; that coach returned to Stamford this season after 8 years at Lubbock Monterrey, but unfortunately, his kid who dominated at QB did not.

Edna-Jourdanton  Cowboys-Indians!!!  The Indians are 11-0, the 4th time they've won double figures in the last 5 seasons.  Enda has a 2-OT heartbreaker to Refugio, a 21-6 loss to Goliad and a disappointing rainout with Sinton on their slightly underwhelming resume.  But they got hot about this time last year and ended up winning the region, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see them send J-town home. 

Hawley-Panhandle   Really excited about this one!  Hawley has a hell of a program, with a state title last season and a runner-up in 2021.  They've lost to Albany and Jim Ned this season, but there's zero shame in that.  Their program is built on defense, which should be handy with Panhandle coming in.  The Panthers have scored 629 points, including 294 in their 4 games since their only loss (34-22 to Stratford).  

Great stuff, thanks, Beau!

Hoping to find a link for the Forney-Lone Star tilt and the West Plains-Graham game.  And keeping a good thought out for Helobious and his Cardinals.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Lamar-Ridge Point  We're all still waiting for someone in the Houston area to take over as the perennial #3 power in the area behind Katy and NS.  Westfield once looked ready to do that, and both of these teams have knocked on the door.  Lamar has outscored opponents 613-49, but that's a reflection of a baby-soft schedule.  RP lost their first two to Westlake and Dickinson and haven't lost since, with nice wins over Hightower and George Ranch.  I think they pull this off.

Ridge Point is the real deal. They have some super athletes on offense. 

I’m gonna head over to Melissa to see Pleasant Grove/Caddo Mills. Hopefully a tune up for their likely showdown with Carthage next week.

I really want to go to SOC/Melissa at The Star but it’s about the same time as Texas and I’m apparently a masochist.

SA Jay vs Weslaco should be a good one. Might be the first time Weslaco is out-barrio’d by an SA school they’re playing.

I’ve literally had 20 or so relatives graduate from Weslaco high, and about 10 more that went but didn’t wanna play school. My dad played as a DB for them in the 80s. But damn if I don’t have a soft spot for Jay here.They've been the story of the year in SA. A win for the mustangs will put them in the third round of the playoffs for the first time ever in the almost 60 year history of the school. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1