2023 Texas High School Football

Hiphopopotamos

We're still a week away from the juiciest matchups sub-6A, but this slate is pretty damn good:

CC Miller-Vela  Miller has scored 264 in the last 4 games, 678 on the season, over 70 4 times, under 50 only twice (49-10 and 35-7), so they can score.  But Vela has a stout defense, and you wonder if holding Miller down to the low 40s will be enough?   I think Miller blows them out in a track meet.

49-28 Miller

Westlake-Reagan  The only undefeated matchup in the state this weekend.  Westlake's offense can sputter at times, but their D has allowed 80 points all season.  Reagan has taken advantage of a weak year in SA and an unexpectedly weak non-district schedule.  Like Helo said, Marcus Wright is not walking through that door.  Chaps big.  

45-22 Chaps  Got up big early and coasted.

CyFair-Katy  On paper, this looks like a very even matchup.  Both are 10-1.  Katy lost to Atascocita in week 2; CyFair lost 31-30 to Bridgeland to open the season.  Both teams have wrecked everyone since.  The Bobcats have UT pledge Trey Owens at QB, and he's going to have to be amazing, because we've all seen this Katy team before.  Buncha fucking clones kicking everyone's asses...  

28-21 Bobcats in OT.  Katy looked kinda dumb, taking 2 delay penalties on their OT possession.  First time since 2001 that Katy loses in 2nd round.  CF gets NS next.  Owens 31-45, 298, 2 TD 1 INT

Harlan-Harlingen  Harlan won 10 last season and is still undefeated this year, so they're no joke.  Harlingen (8-3) is not as good as they've been, so this one looks interesting.

48-0 Harlan   Jebus.

Ryan-Abilene  IMO, Ryan turned their season around by moving a WR to QB, which livened up their offense.  Abilene has won 7 straight.

And that QB got hurt early in this one, and Abilene feasted on turnovers, 31-21.

Spring Westfield-Klein Cain  Westfield is quietly 9-2 with an 8-game winner since losing to NS.  Cain's D is weak, allowing 388 points in 11 games, which should make the difference.

55-41 Westfield

Lamar-Ridge Point  We're all still waiting for someone in the Houston area to take over as the perennial #3 power in the area behind Katy and NS.  Westfield once looked ready to do that, and both of these teams have knocked on the door.  Lamar has outscored opponents 613-49, but that's a reflection of a baby-soft schedule.  RP lost their first two to Westlake and Dickinson and haven't lost since, with nice wins over Hightower and George Ranch.  I think they pull this off.

31-28 Lamar, as RP fumbled at the 4 (?) with about a minute left.

Forney-Lone Star  Two really good 1-loss teams.  Forney's only L was 13-7 to Longview, while LS lost their season opener to Texarkana back in August.

26-24 Forney stops a 2-pt attempt in the final minute.

SOC-Melissa SOC is only 9-2, but their losses are to Duncanville and Desoto, both of whom are pretty good.  No one else has gotten within 3 TDs.  Melissa was just cruising along nicely until Lovejoy spanked them a couple of weeks ago.   IIRC, I picked against SOC several times during the 2022 playoffs, including their region final games against Melissa, which they won 30-16.  I'm not dumb enough to pick against them again.  

Tomorrow?

Hamshire-Fannett-Cuero -- H-F's only loss was to Silsbee.  The bad news is that Silsbee looks like the undefeated Gobblers' best comp.  

37-27 Cuero  H-F has an extremely small team for a ranked 4A team.

Anna-China Spring  The Cougars went 31-1 in winning state the last two seasons, but they've slipped to 8-3 so far.  Anna looked like the best team in 4A for awhile, but seems to have coasted lately.   They're bigger and faster than CS, but I cannot imagine CS going down easy in this one.  

CS didn't go down easy, but they were overmatched and they knew it.  45-21 Anna.  They Coyotes just physically dominated; they are huge.

Boerne-LaVernia  I'll call the winner of this one to win 4AD1R4.   LaVernia is strong and tough, as usual; the Bears lost back-to-back to Sinton and PLC, but have a huge 49-0 win over a good Beeville team recently.  Boerne's on a mission to return to Jerryworld after last year's choke in the title game and I can't pick against them.

42-31 Bears in a shocker!

Let's throw in Lampasas-Alice!  The Coyotes are 9-1 with a win over Calallen, and their only loss to CC Vets on 9/1.  Lampasas is good, but probably a year away with their youth.  The two best teams they've played (Wimberley and Davenport) really smacked them around.  They won't be out-talented, but I think they'll get out-experienced.

Alice just whipped the Badgers on both lines.  42-14 Coyotes.

West Plains-Graham  Both 10-1.  The second-year program from Canyon lost their season opener 47-41 to 3A power Bushland, but has slaughtered everyone else.  Graham's only blemish is a 27-26 loss to Hirschi where everything went wrong.   This one could be REALLY good.

35-17 WP

Stratford-Stamford  I always get these two confused.  Undefeated Stratford (located NORTH of Dumas) are the Elks and they're usually the team to beat in this region, with a state title in 2021 and a couple of Jerryworld appearances in 2019 and 2017.  The Stamford (N of Abilene) Bulldogs have one loss (Hawley) and they had a great 3-year run at Jerryworld (2-1) back in 2011-13; that coach returned to Stamford this season after 8 years at Lubbock Monterrey, but unfortunately, his kid who dominated at QB did not.

22-7 Elks 

Edna-Jourdanton  Cowboys-Indians!!!  The Indians are 11-0, the 4th time they've won double figures in the last 5 seasons.  Enda has a 2-OT heartbreaker to Refugio, a 21-6 loss to Goliad and a disappointing rainout with Sinton on their slightly underwhelming resume.  But they got hot about this time last year and ended up winning the region, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see them send J-town home. 

Edna just rolled, 46-6 last night. Not surprised they won, shocked by the margin.

Hawley-Panhandle   Really excited about this one!  Hawley has a hell of a program, with a state title last season and a runner-up in 2021.  They've lost to Albany and Jim Ned this season, but there's zero shame in that.  Their program is built on defense, which should be handy with Panhandle coming in.  The Panthers have scored 629 points, including 294 in their 4 games since their only loss (34-22 to Stratford).  

59-16 Hawley  Wow!

Other scores of note:

Allen 36 Martin 33 OT

Highland Park 22 McKinney 21

aggy jr 31 Fulshear 19

Richmond Randle 47 Belton 21   Look out for these kids!   I assume this is why Foster has been so down?

Texarkana 17 MSummit 14

Jasper 50 Waco Connolly 7  Holy shit!

Daingerfield 33 Hooks 6  Hooks scored 92 last week.

Woodlands 28 Klein Collins 27  blocked a last-second FG

Edited by Beau Vine
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

@Beau Vine I don’t think it would have made a difference in Alice winning (Think it’s 49-35 final), but Lampasas got to the game late apparently and it is why it is just now ending. I did not hear exactly why they had almost no warm-up, but I am guessing bus trouble. Their first possession resulted in a blocked punt for a TD for Alice. You could tell everything was just off, but again not entirely sure why they were so late arriving.

Edited by UpperWestside
  • Hook 'Em 1

37 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:

I watched bandera play Ingleside tonight, it was a good game till middle of the 3rd. Ingleside has a wr named smith that tied the state/national (couldn’t hear the announcer clearly) TD record with 39 on the year. Unbelievable. I think Ingleside will get their asses whipped by wimberley. 

It’s both. Tren’davian Dickson from Navasota had the state record and shared the national record with some guy from Alabama.

• Hook 'Em 1

34 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

@Beau Vine I don’t think it would have made a difference in Alice winning (Think it’s 49-35 final), but Lampasas got to the game late apparently and it is why it is just now ending. I did not hear exactly why they had almost no warm-up, but I am guessing bus trouble. Their first possession resulted in a blocked punt for a TD for Alice. You could tell everything was just off, but again not entirely sure why they were so late arriving.

One of their buses broke down.   Alice took it to them early, but Lampasas didn’t help itself by not sticking to the run game after their QB struggled in the first half.  

37 minutes ago, UpperWestside said:

I am picking Davenport to win 52-35 next week. Actually I am going to pick them to be playing in Arlington as well in December.

Davenport scored on their first three  of four offensive plays of the game.   Beeville was not a bad team either , so yea I got Davenport with the keys now.   Got a feeling it will be Davenport and PLC meeting in the regional final in two weeks. 

Edited by Nueces River Rat
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Harlan-Harlingen  Harlan won 10 last season and is still undefeated this year, so they're no joke.  Harlingen (8-3) is not as good as they've been, so this one looks interesting.

48-0 Harlan   Jebus.

Estoy agüitado. We had a lot of young players this year, and on top of that we have a fucktard OC. Tough to overcome.

Silver lining; my friend has a kid at Gutierrez middle school and told me they had an 8th grader transfer in this year. Easily 6ft tall already and has dreadlocks. He showed me some highlights of him playing QB and it was ridiculous. Everyone is saying he’s the best player they’ve ever seen come through there. Apparently a monster on the basketball court too. Hopefully he doesn’t move again. Hope springs eternal.  

• Drool 1

6 hours ago, Helobious said:

Estoy agüitado. We had a lot of young players this year, and on top of that we have a fucktard OC. Tough to overcome.

Silver lining; my friend has a kid at Gutierrez middle school and told me they had an 8th grader transfer in this year. Easily 6ft tall already and has dreadlocks. He showed me some highlights of him playing QB and it was ridiculous. Everyone is saying he’s the best player they’ve ever seen come through there. Apparently a monster on the basketball court too. Hopefully he doesn’t move again. Hope springs eternal.  

Sounds great, but Harlan has a four year old who is already tearing up the playground. Kid is easily 3ft tall and can run up the metal slide faster than anyone. Everyone says he can already push the tire swing with two kids on it. No dreadlocks. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

27 minutes ago, Helobious said:

NS QB Kaleb Bailey got hurt in the North Shore-Clear Springs game last night. The soph QB that came in to replace him was a kid that transferred in mid-season… from Clear Springs. Had some varsity starts for them and everything.

Only in Houston do they do these "mid-season transfers." It's so outrageous. 

• Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Helobious said:

NS QB Kaleb Bailey got hurt in the North Shore-Clear Springs game last night. The soph QB that came in to replace him was a kid that transferred in mid-season… from Clear Springs. Had some varsity starts for them and everything.

I think that game was tied at the time Bailey got hurt too. So North Shore pulled away with the QB they got from Clear Springs

12 minutes ago, Lonestar88 said:

I think that game was tied at the time Bailey got hurt too. So North Shore pulled away with the QB they got from Clear Springs

He’s a pretty decent prospect too by the looks of it, UNLV offer already. Kaleb Maryland.

16 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

Only in Houston do they do these "mid-season transfers." It's so outrageous. 

The clear springs HC had to have signed off on it though I’m guessing. 

“Cmon coach, it’s not like we’re gonna see you guys in the playoffs or anything”

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

LT barely eeked one out against a tough SA Johnson team. Hopefully we luck out again next week but I wouldn't count on it!

I can already predict our game with you. We'll trot out the same game plan that won last game, only to face an entirely different offense. I wouldn't be surprised if you win. Much would have preferred to face Vandegrift but happy for my LT friends. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

I can already predict our game with you. We'll trot out the same game plan that won last game, only to face an entirely different offense. I wouldn't be surprised if you win. Much would have preferred to face Vandegrift but happy for my LT friends. 

Shiiiiiiiit, we have our work cut out for us next week. I don't even want to think about you guys yet. Your rb terrorizes us in our dreams and he has been doing it for 3 years!!! 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Longhorn94 said:

Shiiiiiiiit, we have our work cut out for us next week. I don't even want to think about you guys yet. Your rb terrorizes us in our dreams and he has been doing it for 3 years!!! 

He's been overused, and not 100%, and had to come out of the game. Our solution? Make him also run back kickoffs. :( 

15 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

We're still a week away from the juiciest matchups sub-6A, but this slate is pretty damn good:

CC Miller-Vela  Miller has scored 264 in the last 4 games, 678 on the season, over 70 4 times, under 50 only twice (49-10 and 35-7), so they can score.  But Vela has a stout defense, and you wonder if holding Miller down to the low 40s will be enough?   I think Miller blows them out in a track meet.

49-28 Miller

Westlake-Reagan  The only undefeated matchup in the state this weekend.  Westlake's offense can sputter at times, but their D has allowed 80 points all season.  Reagan has taken advantage of a weak year in SA and an unexpectedly weak non-district schedule.  Like Helo said, Marcus Wright is not walking through that door.  Chaps big.  

45-22 Chaps  Got up big early and coasted.

CyFair-Katy  On paper, this looks like a very even matchup.  Both are 10-1.  Katy lost to Atascocita in week 2; CyFair lost 31-30 to Bridgeland to open the season.  Both teams have wrecked everyone since.  The Bobcats have UT pledge Trey Owens at QB, and he's going to have to be amazing, because we've all seen this Katy team before.  Buncha fucking clones kicking everyone's asses...  

28-21 Bobcats in OT.  Katy looked kinda dumb, taking 2 delay penalties on their OT possession.  First time since 2001 that Katy loses in 2nd round.  CF gets NS next.  Owens 31-45, 298, 2 TD 1 INT

48-0 Harlan   Jebus.

Ryan-Abilene  IMO, Ryan turned their season around by moving a WR to QB, which livened up their offense.  Abilene has won 7 straight.

And that QB got hurt early in this one, and Abilene feasted on turnovers, 31-21.

Spring Westfield-Klein Cain  Westfield is quietly 9-2 with an 8-game winner since losing to NS.  Cain's D is weak, allowing 388 points in 11 games, which should make the difference.

55-41 Westfield

Lamar-Ridge Point  We're all still waiting for someone in the Houston area to take over as the perennial #3 power in the area behind Katy and NS.  Westfield once looked ready to do that, and both of these teams have knocked on the door.  Lamar has outscored opponents 613-49, but that's a reflection of a baby-soft schedule.  RP lost their first two to Westlake and Dickinson and haven't lost since, with nice wins over Hightower and George Ranch.  I think they pull this off.

31-28 Lamar, as RP fumbled at the 4 (?) with about a minute left.

Forney-Lone Star  Two really good 1-loss teams.  Forney's only L was 13-7 to Longview, while LS lost their season opener to Texarkana back in August.

26-24 Forney stops a 2-pt attempt in the final minute.

SOC-Melissa SOC is only 9-2, but their losses are to Duncanville and Desoto, both of whom are pretty good.  No one else has gotten within 3 TDs.  Melissa was just cruising along nicely until Lovejoy spanked them a couple of weeks ago.   IIRC, I picked against SOC several times during the 2022 playoffs, including their region final games against Melissa, which they won 30-16.  I'm not dumb enough to pick against them again.  

Tomorrow?

Hamshire-Fannett-Cuero -- H-F's only loss was to Silsbee.  The bad news is that Silsbee looks like the undefeated Gobblers' best comp.  

37-27 Cuero  H-F has an extremely small team for a ranked 4A team.

Anna-China Spring  The Cougars went 31-1 in winning state the last two seasons, but they've slipped to 8-3 so far.  Anna looked like the best team in 4A for awhile, but seems to have coasted lately.   They're bigger and faster than CS, but I cannot imagine CS going down easy in this one.  

CS didn't go down easy, but they were overmatched and they knew it.  45-21 Anna.  They Coyotes just physically dominated; they are huge.

Boerne-LaVernia  I'll call the winner of this one to win 4AD1R4.   LaVernia is strong and tough, as usual; the Bears lost back-to-back to Sinton and PLC, but have a huge 49-0 win over a good Beeville team recently.  Boerne's on a mission to return to Jerryworld after last year's choke in the title game and I can't pick against them.

42-31 Bears in a shocker!

Let's throw in Lampasas-Alice!  The Coyotes are 9-1 with a win over Calallen, and their only loss to CC Vets on 9/1.  Lampasas is good, but probably a year away with their youth.  The two best teams they've played (Wimberley and Davenport) really smacked them around.  They won't be out-talented, but I think they'll get out-experienced.

Alice just whipped the Badgers on both lines.  42-14 Coyotes.

West Plains-Graham  Both 10-1.  The second-year program from Canyon lost their season opener 47-41 to 3A power Bushland, but has slaughtered everyone else.  Graham's only blemish is a 27-26 loss to Hirschi where everything went wrong.   This one could be REALLY good.

35-17 WP

Stratford-Stamford  I always get these two confused.  Undefeated Stratford (located NORTH of Dumas) are the Elks and they're usually the team to beat in this region, with a state title in 2021 and a couple of Jerryworld appearances in 2019 and 2017.  The Stamford (N of Abilene) Bulldogs have one loss (Hawley) and they had a great 3-year run at Jerryworld (2-1) back in 2011-13; that coach returned to Stamford this season after 8 years at Lubbock Monterrey, but unfortunately, his kid who dominated at QB did not.

22-7 Elks 

Edna-Jourdanton  Cowboys-Indians!!!  The Indians are 11-0, the 4th time they've won double figures in the last 5 seasons.  Enda has a 2-OT heartbreaker to Refugio, a 21-6 loss to Goliad and a disappointing rainout with Sinton on their slightly underwhelming resume.  But they got hot about this time last year and ended up winning the region, so I wouldn't be remotely surprised to see them send J-town home. 

Edna just rolled, 46-6 last night. Not surprised they won, shocked by the margin.

Hawley-Panhandle   Really excited about this one!  Hawley has a hell of a program, with a state title last season and a runner-up in 2021.  They've lost to Albany and Jim Ned this season, but there's zero shame in that.  Their program is built on defense, which should be handy with Panhandle coming in.  The Panthers have scored 629 points, including 294 in their 4 games since their only loss (34-22 to Stratford).  

59-16 Hawley  Wow!

Other scores of note:

Allen 36 Martin 33 OT

Highland Park 22 McKinney 21

aggy jr 31 Fulshear 19

Richmond Randle 47 Belton 21   Look out for these kids!   I assume this is why Foster has been so down?

Texarkana 17 MSummit 14

Jasper 50 Waco Connolly 7  Holy shit!

Daingerfield 33 Hooks 6  Hooks scored 92 last week.

Woodlands 28 Klein Collins 27  blocked a last-second FG

Randle doesn't border Foster but may have been a domino effect of boundary changes. Randle and George Ranch are the only Lamar schools south of 59 currently.  Fulshear took directly from Foster and there's another school opening soon in that area as well. LCISD can't get bonds to pass to help athletics. Foster will be bad going forward 

• Drool 1

6 minutes ago, slorch said:

2.5 hours per game seems tight.  The state games have 4 hour slots.

As far as I can find those 2 are the only games there that day, maybe keeping the PM slot for Allen v Trinity/Lee

Its a fun venue for the HS tripleheaders with Texas Live next door. 2 years ago they had the games at Globe Life which kinda sucks because the seats are so far from the field. But they had food and games and booths and stuff outside too for the kids. Hopefully The Temple is set up better for football since that's pretty much its only utility now

11 minutes ago, cmontexas said:

As far as I can find those 2 are the only games there that day, maybe keeping the PM slot for Allen v Trinity/Lee

Its a fun venue for the HS tripleheaders with Texas Live next door. 2 years ago they had the games at Globe Life which kinda sucks because the seats are so far from the field. But they had food and games and booths and stuff outside too for the kids. Hopefully The Temple is set up better for football since that's pretty much its only utility now

They have added bleachers to close down the distance to the field.  

• Hook 'Em 1