Texas Rangers 2023 - They're Still Shitty?

ztejas

9:15AM and already a long day with the fans of baseball aggy at work.  Apparently the astros won the championship of the universe last night.  I take solace in 3 talking points:

1 - the Rangers are still more elite in the AL West with more championships in the AL West (and without cheating!)
2 - what really matters is where everyone sits at the end of this month
3 - I hope after the season the MLB takes a hard look at the Verlander/Cora fight in their series against the Red Sox.  That was pretty clearly cheating to avoid a pitch clock violation and if the MLB forces them to vacate a game they clearly cheated in well then all this hubris gets really fucking interesting.

At best the astros won the division against a better team due to a rut of bad hitting.  At worst they won the division due to cheating yet again.  Regardless I guarantee they go full aggy and put a pennant up at their park.  Really sad.  

• Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm pretty happy to be in the playoffs considering how bad out pitching and bullpen situation has been. Interesting fact: The Rangers lost 39 games they led - 11th worst in baseball

Other AL playoff teams:
O's - 27
Astros - 28
Rays - 29
Twins - 34
Jays - 35

Metric I read last night was 63 Save Opportunities vs 30 Saves.  47.6% conversion.  

• Rage+1 2

18 hours ago, HRSchenker said:

Fuck the AL West title. Let the Asstros have it. I want the World Series

Haven’t posted in a Rangers thread on here in at least a few years, so no idea what your tone is here, but I actually agree with the sentiment. 2002 A’s won the West, lost in the Division Series out of the gate, and watched from home as the Angels went on to win the WS. I wonder if the 2011 Cardinals still lose sleep on missing out on the NL central?

Haven’t posted in a Rangers thread on here in at least a few years, so no idea what your tone is here, but I actually agree with the sentiment. 2002 A’s won the West, lost in the Division Series out of the gate, and watched from home as the Angels went on to win the WS. I wonder if the 2011 Cardinals still lose sleep on missing out on the NL central?
We all want World Series. And the first step to securing the easiest path is to win your division. We go from getting a week break and letting 2 other teams burn through arms and waiting for them at home to now having the hardest path in the AL. 3 game series on the road with the 2nd best team in the AL. Followed by facing the best team in the AL and then most likely the Astros, a team who has been to the last 6 ALCS. All will be on the road.

But let's see what happens starting tomorrow.

6 hours ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

9:15AM and already a long day with the fans of baseball aggy at work.  Apparently the astros won the championship of the universe last night.  I take solace in 3 talking points:

1 - the Rangers are still more elite in the AL West with more championships in the AL West (and without cheating!)
2 - what really matters is where everyone sits at the end of this month
3 - I hope after the season the MLB takes a hard look at the Verlander/Cora fight in their series against the Red Sox.  That was pretty clearly cheating to avoid a pitch clock violation and if the MLB forces them to vacate a game they clearly cheated in well then all this hubris gets really fucking interesting.

At best the astros won the division against a better team due to a rut of bad hitting.  At worst they won the division due to cheating yet again.  Regardless I guarantee they go full aggy and put a pennant up at their park.  Really sad.  

Sad Doctor Who GIF

lmao, tell us how the series record from 1970-2023 favors the Aggs (Arlington) or when they let girls on campus

Aggymahgerdhorn

6 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm pretty happy to be in the playoffs considering how bad out pitching and bullpen situation has been. Interesting fact: The Rangers lost 39 games they led - 11th worst in baseball

Other AL playoff teams:
O's - 27
Astros - 28
Rays - 29
Twins - 34
Jays - 35

I'm shocked they were that good. I'd be curious what it was post all-star break. Felt like 36 of those 39 losses were in August/September.

Glad Montgomery is on the mound tomorrow. Last four outings: 27 innings, 22 SO, 5 walks, 2 ER.

Hopefully it's an advantage that the Rays didn't face him this year... maybe?

Regardless, the offense probably needs to come up with more than one run to back him up.

Edited by gofuckyourself

5 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Sad Doctor Who GIF

lmao, tell us how the series record from 1970-2023 favors the Aggs (Arlington) or when they let girls on campus

Aggymahgerdhorn

Funny how many people on this site rag on how Houston and various surrounding communities are aggy central, then claim that Houston is not an aggy-level fanbase because it hurts their dick to be compared to the aggy that they are.   

• Like 2

I have zero expectations for this post season.  Making the playoffs is a huge accomplishment for this team given the past several years +horrible injury luck + shitty bullpen.  Losing the West when it was in hand really sucked but hopefully a learning experience of some sorts for next season and beyond during this window.  As for tomorrow, somewhat playing with house $$ as deserved underdogs.  Should be fun.

• Like 1

I think the Rangers, despite choking away the division at the end, are doing fine.

Lost DeGrom early.  Had half their lineup injured for a long stretch.  Got Scherzer who did nothing and then got injured.  Bad bullpen blew every save they possibly could.  Still 22 games positive over last year for the most improved team in baseball.

And as far as the playoffs go, it's just a race to see who gets to be sacrificed to the Braves.

609w2ual4srb1.png?auto=webp&s=a574339711

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

.....the Rangers are still more elite in the AL West with more championships in the AL West (and without cheating!)
That was pretty clearly cheating to avoid a pitch clock violation and if the MLB forces them to vacate a game they clearly cheated in well .....

The MLB does not enforce punishments against players for cheating schemes. Especially not Astros. 

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Skipper said:

I have zero expectations for this post season.  Making the playoffs is a huge accomplishment for this team given the past several years +horrible injury luck + shitty bullpen.  Losing the West when it was in hand really sucked but hopefully a learning experience of some sorts for next season and beyond during this window.  As for tomorrow, somewhat playing with house $$ as deserved underdogs.  Should be fun.

I have expectations. I made a bet with a friend, getting 3:1 odds that we would go further than the Astros. Meaning we need to beat the Rays and the O's and Houston needs to lose first round. If we lose to the O's and Houston loses, then it's a wash.

13 hours ago, Trey3216 said:

Funny how many people on this site rag on how Houston and various surrounding communities are aggy central, then claim that Houston is not an aggy-level fanbase because it hurts their dick to be compared to the aggy that they are.   

It's the circular paradox of aggy energy.  It must be very stressful for those caught in it.

Adam Sandler Energy GIF

• Haha 1

If he misses that I wonder if we could've claimed runner interference since he was on the left side of the path. 

Just now, NorthLoop said:

If he misses that I wonder if we could've claimed runner interference since he was on the left side of the path. 

nah nevermind it wasn't that close