Classic Car thread

TexasEd

So this is pretty much the prime grade classic cruising time in Central Texas right now.

No AC? No fucking problem. You running a little hot when ambient temperatures rise?  No fucking problem. Oh hey you want to see this bad ass sunset background of orange and purple while cruising? No problem. Wait we need some Jerry Jeff and Guy and SRV pumping out, right? On it fam. 

• Hook 'Em 2

a delorean drove by on allen parkway in houston the other day.  couldn't get my phone out in time to snap a pic. someone was building those things out of NOS parts up in humble, iirc. 

also saw an amanti in a parking lot.  asked the valet if he got many of those 😂

• Like 1

Yes , indeed, a Ferrari Daytona. I was at the '71 Le Mans race where a Daytona finished 5th overall running against the 917 Porsches and the Ferrari 512m prototypes. Because it had a V-12 with twice pipes on each side, compared to the prototypes flat 12's you could hear it coming literally a mile away. The thing just bellowed through the forest. Very fond memories. The street car did 90 in first.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2022 at 4:36 PM, Mittens said:

Cool car at our TX-OU watch party today:

image.thumb.jpeg.fecec57bf6257791618777500c804525.jpeg

On 10/8/2022 at 4:44 PM, AUinHsv said:
  1. For no real reason - Cougars (the auto type) are underappreciated

On 10/16/2022 at 11:44 PM, Anastasis said:

did someone say cougar.

2-B4-A8407-8-C71-4-C1-C-8634-ADDC5-CA0-C

I like the Cougars more than the Mustangs. Love that convertible.

Worked on the old truck for 12 hours on Saturday, including 12 trips to various auto parts stores in 5 different cities.  Ended up with new drum brakes in the rear, new disc brakes in the front, repacked bearings, and new shocks all the way around.  Driving, stopping, and handling are wonderful now.  I sore as hell after all of that up, down, and crawling around.

I realized when I took the drums off that a previous brake job wasn't done quite right. I luckily found self-adjusting hardware, but the right side was at one store and the left at another which were 20 minutes apart and both 20 minutes from the house.

9de6ba99c64442701347f0ce213f8182.jpg

Once the rear drums were done, I pulled off the front to determine that the rotors needed to be turned or replaced. Since it was an aftermarket disc brake conversion, replacement was not an option. Finally found a place 30 minutes from the house that could turn them in a couple hours. In the meantime, I decided to change shocks. Of course, no one place had both front and rear shocks.

• Hook 'Em 1

Sorry for laughing but the idea of a store only having one side is what would happen to me. On a holiday. At least you have traditional shocks and not struts. Was looking at mine on the 2001 4Runner and trying to decide what local garage has a press. No way on earth I am using spring compressors on truck springs

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Worked on the old truck for 12 hours on Saturday, including 12 trips to various auto parts stores in 5 different cities.  Ended up with new drum brakes in the rear, new disc brakes in the front, repacked bearings, and new shocks all the way around.  Driving, stopping, and handling are wonderful now.  I sore as hell after all of that up, down, and crawling around.

I realized when I took the drums off that a previous brake job wasn't done quite right. I luckily found self-adjusting hardware, but the right side was at one store and the left at another which were 20 minutes apart and both 20 minutes from the house.

9de6ba99c64442701347f0ce213f8182.jpg

Once the rear drums were done, I pulled off the front to determine that the rotors needed to be turned or replaced. Since it was an aftermarket disc brake conversion, replacement was not an option. Finally found a place 30 minutes from the house that could turn them in a couple hours. In the meantime, I decided to change shocks. Of course, no one place had both front and rear shocks.

53 minutes ago, Mother mopar said:

The adjuster seems to be missing the locking tab on the backside. If it's not there's no self-adjusting, haha. I'm not a fan of drum brakes due to all the parts but they're assembled correctly they work well.

Agree,  He is missing the flat piece on the lower right that indexes the rotating adjustor.

xachYFmVAayChetwGWwxqmjuX0kCdBeRThrWjAfMqgEqhhzMHKPvbVqlfQK1nsqwyfUJ-cRCGGQJ7ZLfcBp14Dd0hsyXYuVC09_bjEvGOCmAoNvXvzPH2SPgakL4DeJUsDKRdQ6oCKl8OW6iRMF730kj5k6qVV2X472YyioMJD1gsyf3PrP6i1wfVRLCCjrRMAuyD6qNbzGSMf5vR1gQ4FFZnMVc51JDY3ggRrw80_iS4z7kqFD7OaIpemlk4017tXifICGDA8-5eHctTeXo4mHsNuvXqwan22ZMBnGFRRK1kZ-b3N2MsnJDcG_iiqrlwLtEvAIquDTAYNRwUDtJuCXxXnMpOhT5yjrDs1Ua5ieL4MaVLT0Q-m7-rMsfd3po8VdbSgtmopc1ze7sA42gZj7IKcses-TElgEaThPOgv69iMMnEQnIV_AkbeCQVWFOJL1Depn7Fe-rctEwMQmlxvpyjzmiPdKAOg8-SuBM8Ns7qYGUoQcB8F_sTZf9v0kroLZbaWezozFUJ-7bg2Mb3PElhoha5-jBitZqEd7v0laAUNHSz4TebOFJKog8sgs1xLabzz-gm9v4dRktLWnZYcS6F1akn5du1hVKFME1VUwJxdpl7Cevi9b229fExK1FNOx8RL3tI4IfsN89nZhbZtM6CYJ3sZ2eGeft2nmcrESCYnTndyKaa7QLNRxudfRUQNe0qLDymKCSQzLLD0HTLim_m31-DFMEksRI746am9GAE6a4gCuZqIoMQsHfuISDyegnqi9xJ91iaGABYkMXSLkxGLtGm7Wuaul2D5-U-eyQiNArJEI_NcvxmnSozgPPCcyNAPtznQbpkyi1OOWLZki2v8eSAc8aa5a97NdbPfxreggknd2UPxV1piBT4jfbveZWyB_Azk_Rc_kzxqZrZ66pv8drXZJwnBe7fbjDcdhTvOON57Err8n9QWBFS_PAzQ6rF0khpzvtv9vmaXUs1Og0aTj9CMxG9K-BJlaOL00OuuYrEHk_su9t=w597-h795-no?authuser=0

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AUinHsv said:

Sorry for laughing but the idea of a store only having one side is what would happen to me. On a holiday. At least you have traditional shocks and not struts. Was looking at mine on the 2001 4Runner and trying to decide what local garage has a press. No way on earth I am using spring compressors on truck springs

Not any worse than most cars imo.  I just did wife’s Yukon XL a few weeks ago.  I don’t like using them, in general, but I own a set and didn’t have time to hunt down a shop. 

4 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Just do a Bluetooth receiver in the glove box to an amp. That’s all you need.

4 hours ago, TexasEd said:

This is what I did. Hid it behind the dash on top of the original radio. Headless except for a corded remote. 

Expound.  What amp/app interface are you using?

And forgive me if I've asked before, but I've had a few since then.

Edited by Chad Fuck

9 hours ago, TexasEd said:

Boss unit I bought from Crutchfield 

7EA341F5-0CD6-4E30-AE72-1EBD2CE12DB5.jpeg

7 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

OK, I'm googling and starting to get the picture on the amps.  Interesting idea to bypass the head completely.  

IMG_3219.thumb.jpeg.8a2d7ee824db7ba37772655ff68c4162.jpeg

In addition to carpet, I now have windows.  

7 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I have that in my Firebird and works great. I’LL look when I can at what the specs are.

The one I posted has:

• RCA pre-amp outputs so you can drive an external amp for a subwoofer.  Also has the trigger line for the amp.
  • USB port that can be used as an audio source and also charges devices.  I ran a 6 foot USB cable off this under the carpet for my phone but I just got a center console and will replace that cable with a port hidden inside the console.
  • Aux In 3.5mm jack
  • RCA Pre-amp inputs

The remote has power on/off, source, volume, advance/repeat/pause on a corded and illuminated remote that I hid in the glove box.  Never really touch it though since I control everything from the phone

This photo shows where it sits inside the dash.  I used velcro to hold it on top of the AM radio.  I ran a relay to use the original radio power as trigger and power the device from a new fuse box inside the dash that has direct power from the battery.  This is necessary because it had higher rated fuse than original, I also used that new box for the new AC system. 

I now have a battery drain.  Pretty sure it is radio because it has an always on source and the ignition trigger (I think this trigger is a relay so I probably double relayed it.)  I don't need the always hot line unless it is going to forget the bluetooth pairing without it.  I don't think it does though.

lJIuolH7r5bAnTOYhEu_1IGDAv_N7xd6JVhiBLwNPCywoU-iWgnpw8rjlHRc7Wozy9StWHlwH9_Sz0_y1qXQ4JoHsz48COoHxd5HGwCgLFBfrh7u-9wttWcvxf1T3yGrhW6F_oU0LW2WiQv21qnJr7vglH_ytWtN1pk-XaSM3sNExAG3wRELpGJf1nJSLe3IGdrRCoeOK3FGWeY81Na0V3QLDj-Fdw5SyPpfFfZX2M_sNtGqRSdaw0eXNruMpKJ_bXzYrRaTF9d0fnw4-BynzVghVRDeOx539oI9tWgKLiFrqUi1tMlM6NSEQZyjJ_8AdcHRsCIBI_67APdR2xDG46Y7p_s0zL4zkCgHUMIXwMK8VSF7aTfFMSgyDIF3W19T4lZuaCMqmXa9H3q1Fl0ECaNGSNKZjt6jBfsXke_RMlCUFpqVJtJ_DFXPg33xZKz_sH0dMG3BNnNtzeyq7LT_g8XLrHb98Rvv-8aqYgR_SQUKs3xKFDq_xdFUi4WdGe5PYh0bfLltFL0fpPuDzy_HmtRb-3C6xNbvqW4aiCPJ1JKSCJ3ik6GVLkJ360-x7m_SpQX3p5aubqXFIKCf5_MLAi8Nr8NJ36iGi2gcxaTEJvGaEGB4EdawQGDwSk536vS_29EyPWMCjCJB1Yt7MNFuv0qRFC-fU8aTRAF6320qXkfSvKbsjLXxXIrSLmdTu7_kiMVRcOqA25qV1x4FbWHHSHSyby26_dV0rhfUailGWfVx_wyKUobSb8tNjMkfTdfpzJdSVkBSXSgBXxOQoLdWaDdKNQ1MIl2CRHiVuvJ1kut0zzllBklePNs5a2-ch4vGVgsApICUsLYYVjBigN1b7Wj8eXllKN3I_k5qyiLt_P8-yjm16IwFmQ0XYtzaA26ckLCILwozOcQil4DS-yqmu3L859mGok4uMK3eXBLXUUqGceWY64c1D-Wow8mNubUeNUIitmERZchtOtHNptnS8aOJ70YsUooolT77aujzWctbzqJjLvK72pLY7w=w498-h663-no?authuser=0

Edited by TexasEd
  • Like 1

My grill came in from the restorer yesterday and it's stunning. This was the last piece I needed for the car and it's done from a restoration perspective.

Still dialing it in, fixed the rear brake lights today....bad ground, fixed the rear brake line support bracket. Need to figure out why the dome light stays on...bad ground or door jamb switches aren't getting power to close the circuit. Either way, I'm fucking pumped, 4.5 years in the making. After two hurricanes, Sally and Michael (lost everything except the car and tools in that one), and three military moves...it's done!

Before and after of the grill pix. We're getting ready to start seriously looking at building a house on our land in east Tx so this is perfect timing. Lot of hours, days and sweat in the garage working on this thing w/my side kick Bailey. 5bd535c7ea06f9bcc7af73d7042f8a5f.jpgf6e91e1b58ece523ad1b0e4875c6e738.jpgca884f35e5afb1fc35075d0c03b88e38.jpg

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

My grill came in from the restorer yesterday and it's stunning. This was the last piece I needed for the car and it's done from a restoration perspective.

Still dialing it in, fixed the rear brake lights today....bad ground, fixed the rear brake line support bracket. Need to figure out why the dome light stays on...bad ground or door jamb switches aren't getting power to close the circuit. Either way, I'm fucking pumped, 4.5 years in the making. After two hurricanes, Sally and Michael (lost everything except the car and tools in that one), and three military moves...it's done!

Before and after of the grill pix. We're getting ready to start seriously looking at building a house on our land in east Tx so this is perfect timing. Lot of hours, days and sweat in the garage working on this thing w/my side kick Bailey. 5bd535c7ea06f9bcc7af73d7042f8a5f.jpgf6e91e1b58ece523ad1b0e4875c6e738.jpgca884f35e5afb1fc35075d0c03b88e38.jpg

Outstanding!

Had to have my guy replace the choke pull off in the Skylark (listen to the video - car is not cammed...) and saw this survivor in his parking lot when I picked it up today. 

The raccoon prints were all over it when it was dropped off - couldn't get much in the way of a good picture though... 

20221028_140204.jpg

20221028_140218.jpg

Edited by Prepuce of Doom
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

As someone who just missed out on owning his own 288 GTO when some other dickhead won the Powerball this week, I thought this build was really cool.  I'm a fan of restomods and you never see Ferraris get the treatment because of their rules, so to see one get just completely worked over is pretty unique.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/12/2022 at 12:13 PM, Mittens said:

As someone who just missed out on owning his own 288 GTO when some other dickhead won the Powerball this week, I thought this build was really cool.  I'm a fan of restomods and you never see Ferraris get the treatment because of their rules, so to see one get just completely worked over is pretty unique.

I'm not a Ferrari guy.  So what is "their rules" about?

@Anastasis

Mrs. Brat’s mom gave her a new 1962 Chevy II like the one in your picture to drive during her senior year in high school through college, then a 1967 Pontiac LeMans (white with red interior) coupe for her graduation.

The Chevy II was stolen from MIL later on, and I hit a Ford pickup in Elgin which totaled the Pontiac four months after our wedding.

350DEDCB-8FCC-4D1B-BB29-1E057B42D80A.jpeg

F523033D-8064-4F2C-931E-0F6D44569F2E.jpeg