Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

1 hour ago, shadow_operative said:

it more to the point, yes, RT was absolutely responsible for our epic, overnight. 

You sure it wasn't the guy who spent the night in jail who was responsible for the overnight collapse that everyone agrees was fixed later on in the season under the guy you're blaming for it?

You've been on this pro-Beard anti-RT bender for a solid year now. So far the Ws and Ls haven't backed up your incessant whining, crying, bickering, and insulting. Give it a rest already.

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

intellectual honesty?

Holy crap, I just realized you cut this statement from your quote of my post.  Yeah, you're absolutely intellectually dishonest you coward.

(The more logical explanation is that RT had little to do with the midseason collapse NOR our resurgence.  Our team struggled, then recovered.  It happens.)

2 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

lunardi now has us as an 11 seed losing to A&M 80-67.

IMG_5077.thumb.jpeg.422182273df5242be5f8a651acfc6f75.jpeg

This is not Lunardi’s bracket. This is a Reddit users simulation based on Lunardi’s seed projections.

This needs to be stated every time something like this is posted.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

you two contribute it’s nothing to this discussion but personal, butt hurt shit talk. just gonna get that out of the way before i respond (against my better judgment).

I can't believe that I haven't been part of this cat fight...until now. You are a T shirt fan. That's all. We had some great T shirt fans in my day, but you wouldn't have been one of them. Your problem is that you consider yourself to be the board hoops expert when you have no clue about the physical, mental and emotional side of the game. No clue at all. And no one posts more nothings that you do. Stick to posting statistics and pictures. And as I mentioned months ago, you need to get off this site until after the season because you are going to give yourself a heart attack or something else that will be harmful to your health.  I have no idea why you take this so personally, but you need to get off of here before you do damage to yourself.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

I can't believe that I haven't been part of this cat fight...until now. You are a T shirt fan. That's all. We had some great T shirt fans in my day, but you wouldn't have been one of them. Your problem is that you consider yourself to be the board hoops expert when you have no clue about the physical, mental and emotional side of the game. No clue at all. And no one posts more nothings that you do. Stick to posting statistics and pictures. And as I mentioned months ago, you need to get off this site until after the season because you are going to give yourself a heart attack or something else that will be harmful to your health.  I have no idea why you take this so personally, but you need to get off of here before you do damage to yourself.

He took a four month hiatus I think.  He seemed calmer but yea I guess here we are again?   

11/26 a week after our first loss, about a month into RTs first full season came the “this team isn’t up to Barnes and beards standards” post.   Most people were quiet probably because Derka may be right but also maybe we’re exhausted from arguing?

one month in.  Four or five new players, lost three or four key players.  Just asking to give him a bit more time and let the team develop some chemistry?   

Edited by closetohumping

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

He took a four month hiatus I think.  He seemed calmer but yea I guess here we are again?   

11/26 a week after our first loss, about a month into RTs first full season came the “this team isn’t up to Barnes and beards standards” post.   Most people were quiet probably because Derka may be right but also maybe we’re exhausted from arguing?

one month in.  Four or five new players, lost three or four key players.  Just asking to give him a bit more time and let the team develop some chemistry?   

That's part of my point that he doesn't understand. He stated a few games ago that after maybe 4-5 games, this team should be playing like a well-oiled machine so to speak. That's just clueless. And I do remember him not posting for a few months but it's only a matter of time before he is back to who he is. And that's sad.

• Hook 'Em 2

36 minutes ago, realgreggym said:

He stated a few games ago that after maybe 4-5 games, this team should be playing like a well-oiled machine

this never happened. 

as for the repeated pleas from the audience for me to “give RT/the team time to grow”, i can’t understand why the idea that this team is automatically going to markedly improve as time goes on is seen as the obvious/only reasonable take, while my takes are seen as cynical, overly negative, and not welcome, all because my takes aren’t as rosy as you want them to be.

i make my arguments based on facts, stats, and empirical evidence, and i don’t get a lot of that in return during these discussions. mostly just a whole lot of emotional takes and responses, bereft of basketball related facts or reasoning. 

people just keep repeating “the team just needs time to grow” over and over, and then when i respond with basketball related reasons as to why that’s not the simply fix that so many here want it to be you all end up lashing out at me, insulting me, being combative towards me (not the other way around) and then y’all end up having this big group discussion about how horrible i am, all because i don’t blindly believe that this team is assuredly going to jell and grow into something great. all because i disagree with you. it’s the definition of groupthink and confirmation bias. 

Edited by shadow_operative

28 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

this never happened. 

as for the repeated pleas from the audience for me to “give RT/the team time to grow”, i can’t understand why the idea that this team is automatically going to markedly improve as time goes on is seen as the obvious/only reasonable take, while my takes are seen as cynical, overly negative, and not welcome, all because my takes aren’t as rosy as you want them to be.

i make my arguments based on facts, stats, and empirical evidence, and i don’t get a lot of that in return during these discussions. mostly just a whole lot of emotional takes and responses, bereft of basketball related facts or reasoning. 

people just keep repeating “the team just needs time to grow” over and over, and then when i respond with basketball related reasons as to why that’s not the simply fix that so many here want it to be you all end up lashing out at me, insulting me, being combative towards me (not the other way around) and then y’all end up having this big group discussion about how horrible i am, all because i don’t blindly believe that this team is assuredly going to jell and grow into something great. all because i disagree with you. it’s the definition of groupthink and confirmation bias. 

You're entitled to facts. You're not entitled to your facts. The rest of your ramblings made my point. 

• Hook 'Em 2

i don’t blindly believe that this team is assuredly going to jell and grow into something great.

Honest question:  has anyone said this?  has the majority said this?  I don't recall anyone having that level of optimism.  I sure don't.  I've already said I don't think RT will work out in the long run.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Honest question:  has anyone said this?  has the majority said this?  I don't recall anyone having that level of optimism.  I sure don't.  I've already said I don't think RT will work out in the long run.

If I had to bet I’d say we have a new coach in 2027.  I hope not.  

however, 11 games in, with the roster turnover and injuries, I’m not ready to fire him.  Yes. I think we need to give this team more time.  Does this make me a blind optimist?   Ok

I thought that this team might be better than last year’s team before the season. Abmas and Hunter should have been an awesome combo. And our Mitchell, Disu, and Shedrick should have been one of the best collection of forwards/bigs in the country. Plus I thought we would have GREAT depth.

So far it hasn’t played out that way. But I still think the pieces are there.

if you had to financially back a poker player in a tournament, would you back the top flight pro poker player who has multiple wpt/wsop titles and bracelets plus a few million in career earnings, or would you back the accountant turned pro who’s never cashed at a major tourney in his life? how vast would the difference be in your confidence in the two players to not completely waste your money? obviously everyone would have great faith in player A and great concern over player B.

however, if you are told that player B is the guy you’re backing no matter what, suddenly his entire poker playing history doesn’t matter. suddenly every opinion you hold about this guy is glass 99% full, and you’re just brimming with optimism and belief that this guy is the right man for the job. you don’t care that the majority of his opponents outclass him and have long, substantive histories of being objectively better than this man at poker- this is his year! and hey, who cares if on the very first hand if the tournament he calls under the gun with 4-2 off suit and loses half his stack? just give him time! all he needs is a little bit more time and before you know it he’s going to be knocking out pros left and right! right? right?!? 

now that i’ve made my point, here’s what i hate about this: i. love. rodney. terry. amazing man. loyal friend and assistant to rick barnes. loves his kids and wants the best for them. did an amazing job righting the ship after beard got fired. and yet i constantly find myself here, quoting decades of stats and facts in an attempt to display why i don’t believe that he is capable of doing this job to the level that we all want. i’m constantly in here arguing with people who are incensed with me for not believing in him, all so that i can justify my objectively reasonable opinion on the man and his ability to take Texas beyond where his mentor rick barnes did. and in doing so i get made out to be someone who hates rodney terry. it’s a staple of this site: being less bullish on a UT figure than the crowd means that you hate said UT figure. naturally. 

meanwhile not a single soul in this forum is saying, “just give IT Horton time, he’s going to be the next jabari rice. just give brock time, he’s going to develop point guard skills. just give shedrick time, he’s going to be a knock down three point shooter.” hell no. our players get abused to hell repeatedly and with zero apology in 9/10 game threads, and nobody bats an eye. people are like, “fuck that guy, he should never play again, he’s not good enough”, and nobody cares. but if you dare to suggest that our head coach isn’t going to magically become a totally improved and exceptional program builder and head coach, then all of a sudden it’s time for torches and pitchforks. why? it makes no sense. especially if your issue truly is with the message and not the messenger. why do we look at a player and say, “he’s been in college for four years now, he is who he is”, and then turn around and say, “year 29 for our head coach- this is the year where he puts it all together!!!”? this board should be better than this. 

17 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

if you had to financially back a poker player in a tournament, would you back the top flight pro poker player who has multiple wpt/wsop titles and bracelets plus a few million in career earnings, or would you back the accountant turned pro who’s never cashed at a major tourney in his life? how vast would the difference be in your confidence in the two players to not completely waste your money? obviously everyone would have great faith in player A and great concern over player B.

however, if you are told that player B is the guy you’re backing no matter what, suddenly his entire poker playing history doesn’t matter. suddenly every opinion you hold about this guy is glass 99% full, and you’re just brimming with optimism and belief that this guy is the right man for the job. you don’t care that the majority of his opponents outclass him and have long, substantive histories of being objectively better than this man at poker- this is his year! and hey, who cares if on the very first hand if the tournament he calls under the gun with 4-2 off suit and loses half his stack? just give him time! all he needs is a little bit more time and before you know it he’s going to be knocking out pros left and right! right? right?!? 

now that i’ve made my point, here’s what i hate about this: i. love. rodney. terry. amazing man. loyal friend and assistant to rick barnes. loves his kids and wants the best for them. did an amazing job righting the ship after beard got fired. and yet i constantly find myself here, quoting decades of stats and facts in an attempt to display why i don’t believe that he is capable of doing this job to the level that we all want. i’m constantly in here arguing with people who are incensed with me for not believing in him, all so that i can justify my objectively reasonable opinion on the man and his ability to take Texas beyond where his mentor rick barnes did. and in doing so i get made out to be someone who hates rodney terry. it’s a staple of this site: being less bullish on a UT figure than the crowd means that you hate said UT figure. naturally. 

meanwhile not a single soul in this forum is saying, “just give IT Horton time, he’s going to be the next jabari rice. just give brock time, he’s going to develop point guard skills. just give shedrick time, he’s going to be a knock down three point shooter.” hell no. our players get abused to hell repeatedly and with zero apology in 9/10 game threads, and nobody bats an eye. people are like, “fuck that guy, he should never play again, he’s not good enough”, and nobody cares. but if you dare to suggest that our head coach isn’t going to magically become a totally improved and exceptional program builder and head coach, then all of a sudden it’s time for torches and pitchforks. why? it makes no sense. especially if your issue truly is with the message and not the messenger. why do we look at a player and say, “he’s been in college for four years now, he is who he is”, and then turn around and say, “year 29 for our head coach- this is the year where he puts it all together!!!”? this board should be better than this. 

Coaching at Fresno and Utep is like starting with 4/9 off suit.  I can't put money on a wifebeater at the poker table as I'm worried he may choke the female dealer if things don't go his way.

Texas is pocket 9s and above.

Let's see what RT can do with a playable hand?  How far did Chris get his first year here?  Let's give this team more than 11 games?  I understand 9-2 is  a lethargic start but you're arguing with the wind.  The consensus here has been "we can do better than RT but he took over for a wife beater and got us to an elite 8 and likely should've been a final four. He won the job and we have to live with it, let's give him a chance"  

A chance for me means more than one season.  We lost quite a bit from last year's team.  

And weren't you dogging Abmas's play a few pages ago?  What we've been saying is give the players time to gel, more than 11 games.

Edited by closetohumping

On 11/26/2023 at 12:24 PM, shadow_operative said:

abmas should not be a starter. he’s our worst defender and as of now he’s a black hole on offense. and he isn’t showing any IQ, continuing to take terrible shots that you could get at any time. he needs to come off the bench *and* he needs to stop forcing shit and to play within the offense. when you consider how much the ball is in his hands you could make a very compelling argument that he’s been our worst player thus far. 

You're complaining about people dogging our players when you make a post like this.  Season is 1 month old and you're questioning his intelligence.

17 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

You're complaining about people dogging our players when you make a post like this.  Season is 1 month old and you're questioning his intelligence.

there’s a fundamental difference in being objective about players for better or worse and just totally shitting on them. i practice the former, not the latter. abmas spent the majority of the early season taking terrible shots. constant pull up jumpers early in the shot clock, often from 23+ feet. it’s just plain terrible offense, especially when he’s such a great shooter in catch-and-shoot situations.

and for the record, abmas immediately made me eat my words, and has been playing much better since that post. literally mid game after that post he stopped taking stupid shots and started knocking down open catch-and-shoot jumpers within the framework of the offense. and as such i in turn have redacted my “he shouldn’t be a starter” statement. 

when a guy is showing a disturbingly low iq and is objectively hindering his team on offense while being a black hole on defense, there is nothing wrong with saying, “this guy shouldn’t start.” that’s not personal, it’s not emotional, it’s not insulting or demeaning. conversely, saying, “IT Horton is fucking terrible and should never play again” is totally personal, and insulting, and emotional. this is my issue. there’s being critical and then there’s being hateful and insulting. that’s what’s wild to me. being hateful and insulting towards a player is fair game; being objectively critical or skeptical of a coach brings the wrath of the board. shit just don’t make sense.

5 minutes ago, shadow_operative said:

there’s a fundamental difference in being objective about players for better or worse and just totally shitting on them. i practice the former, not the latter. abmas spent the majority of the early season taking terrible shots. constant pull up jumpers early in the shot clock, often from 23+ feet. it’s just plain terrible offense, especially when he’s such a great shooter in catch-and-shoot situations.

and for the record, abmas immediately made me eat my words, and has been playing much better since that post. literally mid game after that post he stopped taking stupid shots and started knocking down open catch-and-shoot jumpers within the framework of the offense. and as such i in turn have redacted my “he shouldn’t be a starter” statement. 

when a guy is showing a disturbingly low iq and is objectively hindering his team on offense while being a black hole on defense, there is nothing wrong with saying, “this guy shouldn’t start.” that’s not personal, it’s not emotional, it’s not insulting or demeaning. conversely, saying, “IT Horton is fucking terrible and should never play again” is totally personal, and insulting, and emotional. this is my issue. there’s being critical and then there’s being hateful and insulting. that’s what’s wild to me. being hateful and insulting towards a player is fair game; being objectively critical or skeptical of a coach brings the wrath of the board. shit just don’t make sense.

Give the guy more than 11 games is “bringing the wrath?”

relax man.  Why does this stuff bother you so much? Relax.  Some of us want to wait longer than 11 games. We will likely be wrong but so what?   Right now,

unless he’s a wife beater, I’m gonna root for Rodney and see a little more work before I will throw him overboard.  Yes he sucked at utep and Fresno. Honestly who didn’t?   

• Hook 'Em 2

15 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Give the guy more than 11 games is “bringing the wrath?”

relax man.  Why does this stuff bother you so much? Relax.  Some of us want to wait longer than 11 games. We will likely be wrong but so what?   Right now,

unless he’s a wife beater, I’m gonna root for Rodney and see a little more work before I will throw him overboard.  Yes he sucked at utep and Fresno. Honestly who didn’t?   

Wrong about what?  No one has predicted anything positive, you included.  Calling for patience instead of assuming that failure is a foregone conclusion is not a prediction of success.  That doesn't mean we won't be called out if RT does fail.  I fully expect it.  

Edited by idigTexas
  • Hook 'Em 1

28 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Wrong about what?  No one has predicted anything positive, you included.  Calling for patience instead of assuming that failure is a foregone conclusion is not a prediction of success.  That doesn't mean we won't be called out if RT does fail.  I fully expect it.  

I think we have and will be called out every time something bad happens.  It started with the first two decommits and when Mitchell left   

you’re right  I haven’t predicted Rodney will be successful but I did say given the circumstances he won the job   He took over an awful situation   So now, he likely has three years to pass or fail   Pretty simple   CDC doesn’t seem to tolerate mediocrity   

my recommendation to let this play out   We will know sooner or later whether this will work

49 minutes ago, idigTexas said:

Calling for patience instead of assuming that failure is a foregone conclusion is not a prediction of success.  That doesn't mean we won't be called out if RT does fail.  I fully expect it.  

yeah, that what’s gonna happen. that’s my MO. my lifelong favorite team has a terrible season (or two or three) and the HC who i love ultimately gets fired (or probably “resigns”), and my first thought is to run to shaggy to brag about how i was right. give me a break.

i mean shit, me and @Wulaw Horn  caught incalculable amounts of hell for saying that shaka would be a failure, and neither one of us ever took a victory lap. neither of us ever said a square word to anyone who had disagreed for so many years. we were too busy being absokuwyiy crestfallen, and were not thinking about how we just pwn3d a bunch of shaggy posters. 

what you’re doing is called projection, and there’s an abundance of that in this thread. i wish it would stop. i wish we could talk about basketball.

• Hook 'Em 1

would have added this to the previous post but time ran out- @idigTexas you were also there every step of the way when everyone in the arsenal thread wanted arteta fired, and i was the only one who firmly maintained that he was the man for the job, and that he needed more time and resources to see his plan come to fruition. 

now look at Arsenal and Arteta. i was right. all of you were wrong. every step of the way. did i talk shit and insult you guys and start fights when all of y’all had a different opinion from mine? when Arteta came good and showed himself to be world class did i make a big stink about that? did i talk a bunch of shit to you guys? was i insulting and combative? or was i just happy that arsenal was great again?

you know what dude- and this goes for a lot flor you in this thread- if you got MIB mind erased tonight, and all of your negative feelings and preconceived notions about me were gone, you’d suddenly find yourself  about 97% less triggered by every single opinion i have or post that i make. your cynically negative idea of who i am shapes your perception of who i am, when in reality, a read back if this thread shows y’all making it personal and talking shit to me over my basketball opinions, and not the other way around, as you believe it is. it’s a damn shame that so many of you can’t see it. 

1 minute ago, shadow_operative said:

you know what dude- and this goes for a lot flor you in this thread- if you got MIB mind erased tonight, and all of your negative feelings and preconceived notions about me were gone, you’d suddenly find yourself  about 97% less triggered by every single opinion i have or post that i make. your cynically negative idea of who i am shapes your perception of who i am, when in reality, a read back if this thread shows y’all making it personal and talking shit to me over my basketball opinions, and not the other way around, as you believe it is. it’s a damn shame that so many of you can’t see it. 

This sounds like paranoia. Resist the urge to feel like a victim if you can, that’s an unpleasant existence. Don’t personalize disagreement. You’ve got more supporters than some imagined seething crowd of detractors. Much love & peace. 

22 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

The rush to make a premature condemnation of RT’s tenure is silly. Faced with the choice of letting it play out or being made miserable by unknowns, I know which one to chose.

again, i’m not miserable. i know that’s the go-to line every time anyone on this site doesn’t share the same optimism as the board, but y’all repeating it doesn’t make it true. in your minds, if i don’t think that Player A is as good as you do, or if i don’t think the team is as good as you do, then that means i’m miserable. you equate a lack of optimism with misery, but they are not close to being the same thing.

4 minutes ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

Don’t personalize disagreement.

i try not to, and an honest inspection of this thread would bear out that 9/10 times it’s not me who is being insulting towards someone else over his differing opinion, but rather the exact opposite of that. it honestly does not upset me if someone has a differing opinion. i get upset when people make it personal and insulting. i’m a reactive asshole, not one who provokes.

yeah, that what’s gonna happen. that’s my MO. my lifelong favorite team has a terrible season (or two or three) and the HC who i love ultimately gets fired (or probably “resigns”), and my first thought is to run to shaggy to brag about how i was right. give me a break.

i mean shit, me and @Wulaw Horn  caught incalculable amounts of hell for saying that shaka would be a failure, and neither one of us ever took a victory lap. neither of us ever said a square word to anyone who had disagreed for so many years. we were too busy being absokuwyiy crestfallen, and were not thinking about how we just pwn3d a bunch of shaggy posters. 

what you’re doing is called projection, and there’s an abundance of that in this thread. i wish it would stop. i wish we could talk about basketball.

Dude weren’t you screaming “Derka knew” after one of the high schoolers decommitted.  That’s an I told ya so victory lap on RT

see posts 283 and 286.   This was in April you were already pulling the I told you so stuff. About a month after we made the elite 8. 

and if you didn’t take this shit personally you wouldn’t be negging posts.  

breathe.   It will all work itself out.  

Edited by closetohumping

would have added this to the previous post but time ran out- @idigTexas you were also there every step of the way when everyone in the arsenal thread wanted arteta fired, and i was the only one who firmly maintained that he was the man for the job, and that he needed more time and resources to see his plan come to fruition. 

now look at Arsenal and Arteta. i was right. all of you were wrong. every step of the way. did i talk shit and insult you guys and start fights when all of y’all had a different opinion from mine? when Arteta came good and showed himself to be world class did i make a big stink about that? did i talk a bunch of shit to you guys? was i insulting and combative? or was i just happy that arsenal was great again?

What happens in the Arsenal thread should stay in the Arsenal thread, but since you brought it up, the only negative thing I said about Arteta was that it felt like he had lost the the team's confidence.  This was after the worst start to a season in 67 years.  That's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

You are very wrong about any preconceived notions I have about you.  I rep you when I agree with you.  I have defended you on occasion.  I do not go looking for you to start shit.  Most of the time I ignore your posts.  Lately, I only engage you when you have specifically addressed me first.  

1 minute ago, idigTexas said:

What happens in the Arsenal thread should stay in the Arsenal thread, but since you brought it up, the only negative thing I said about Arteta was that it felt like he had lost the the team's confidence.  This was after the worst start to a season in 67 years.  That's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

You are very wrong about any preconceived notions I have about you.  I rep you when I agree with you.  I have defended you on occasion.  I do not go looking for you to start shit.  Most of the time I ignore your posts.  Lately, I only engage you when you have specifically addressed me first.  

What’s funny is every time he begs me I positive rep his very next post

i wish we could talk about basketball.

It has been difficult to talk basketball on this forum for a few years now because of one thing. You.

I had my own ridiculous tussles with you and have refrained from playing in your sandbox while observing you continue to rampage across every basketball thread with your abuse and vitriol to anyone who dare question your opinion.

You claim you try not to personalize disagreements. Sure, Jan. Seriously, you are the constant line throughout every single meltdown on this particular board. Posters regularly disagree and talk shit to each other that their asshole smells better. Happens every day and the thread manages to absorb the conflict without issue and everyone has a good time. But you do more than disagree, you force your blustering indignation onto all with endless strings of multiple posts and dead horse beating. You take a thread, you shit on it, then you shit on the pile of shit, then you pick up the shit and smear it in all of our faces. Time and time again. You are the one doing this, no one is forcing you or making you act this way. Your brief hiatus has done nothing to change your behavior. You are like a child.

Take responsibility and change your ways or leave. You shit is tired and nobody wants to deal with it anymore. You pollute the basketball board because you have a personal attachment to the program and are incapable of rational and objective discussion on the subject. You have a fundamental inability to agree to disagree about opinions. You are a great contributor in the Arsenal thread, the Movie/TV forum and other areas of this site. But you have proven you are unable to behave in a mature and adult manner when if comes to Texas basketball. It's extremely unhealthy for you and your decision to continue to engage puts the onus on you. You are not paid to be here. You do not post anything that factors into the program in any manner. The world will not stop turning if your thoughts on Texas basketball are not shared with all. Have you no sense of self-control, sir, at long last?

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

It has been difficult to talk basketball on this forum for a few years now because of one thing. You.

I had my own ridiculous tussles with you and have refrained from playing in your sandbox while observing you continue to rampage across every basketball thread with your abuse and vitriol to anyone who dare question your opinion.

You claim you try not to personalize disagreements. Sure, Jan. Seriously, you are the constant line throughout every single meltdown on this particular board. Posters regularly disagree and talk shit to each other that their asshole smells better. Happens every day and the thread manages to absorb the conflict without issue and everyone has a good time. But you do more than disagree, you force your blustering indignation onto all with endless strings of multiple posts and dead horse beating. You take a thread, you shit on it, then you shit on the pile of shit, then you pick up the shit and smear it in all of our faces. Time and time again. You are the one doing this, no one is forcing you or making you act this way. Your brief hiatus has done nothing to change your behavior. You are like a child.

Take responsibility and change your ways or leave. You shit is tired and nobody wants to deal with it anymore. You pollute the basketball board because you have a personal attachment to the program and are incapable of rational and objective discussion on the subject. You have a fundamental inability to agree to disagree about opinions. You are a great contributor in the Arsenal thread, the Movie/TV forum and other areas of this site. But you have proven you are unable to behave in a mature and adult manner when if comes to Texas basketball. It's extremely unhealthy for you and your decision to continue to engage puts the onus on you. You are not paid to be here. You do not post anything that factors into the program in any manner. The world will not stop turning if your thoughts on Texas basketball are not shared with all. Have you no sense of self-control, sir, at long last?

i’m not the one starting the shit, i’m the one talking hoops and having shit talked to me. as long as that’s the case then this entire post is completely off base and totally pointless. if you guys don’t like the dynamic of the board then stop being insulting and combative over differing opinions. 

18 minutes ago, Herpa Derpa said:

Couldn’t have said it better though I’ll say he wrecked the house of dragons thread for a bit as well.  

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i’m not the one starting the shit, i’m the one talking hoops and having shit talked to me. as long as that’s the case then this entire post is completely off base and totally pointless. if you guys don’t like the dynamic of the board then stop being insulting and combative over differing opinions. 

No, that's not true.  At all.  I'm sympathetic to your struggles, and I am well aware of the ways I (and others) push your buttons, but the fact remains that @Herpa Derpa spoke the truth, and you can't comprehend that truth.

Man, you have a lot to offer.  I love your stats posts on this board.  KenPom, etc.  You are passionate.  That's cool.  Most of us are passionate.  I don't read about soccer since my kid opted out of college ball, and I don't have enough time to watch a lot of movies, so I have apparently missed a bunch of your positive contributions.  The fact remains, on this board, you are incorrectly perceiving the dynamic.  I pray that you will consider that this is a possibility and maybe also consider how you might change your ways.  I know some regulars have tried to help, and I would be happy to do so as well, but dude . . . you're not reading the room.  You have it all wrong.

• Like 1

My biggest concern with Terry is getting these guys to play cohesive team/help defense.    Last year it was drilled into them by Beard by the time the season started and fortunately it was a senior laden team that could keep each other in line.  

Everyone loves to play O and you can sometimes one on one your way to good O or isolate a bad defender in the PnR.

Defense is a particular mindset, takes significant mental/physical discipline, and a willingness to expend energy.  

I really hope Terry has the chops.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, dcar00 said:

My biggest concern with Terry is getting these guys to play cohesive team/help defense.    Last year it was drilled into them by Beard by the time the season started and fortunately it was a senior laden team that could keep each other in line.  

Everyone loves to play O and you can sometimes one on one your way to good O or isolate a bad defender in the PnR.

Defense is a particular mindset, takes significant mental/physical discipline, and a willingness to expend energy.  

great team defense really does come from the top down so much more than great offense. the know-how, implementation, and repeatedly high effort and intensity have to be tenets of the very foundation of the program. a look at the top defenses in AdjD:

IMG_5233.thumb.jpeg.b594563d34f8830c81c2cc6550f349bf.jpeg

look at who constructs and employs these defenses: kelvin sampson, tommy lloyd, tony bennett, rick barnes, tj otzleberger, bill self. it’s a who’s who of great defensive coaches. 

one or two great offensive players can lift up an entire offense, but being great defensively is a full time, full team effort that requires a tremendous amount of know-how, buy-in, and effort. it also requires the right type of system and player. there’s a reason that barnes and sampson recruit huge athletes who may not be the best shooters year after year after year, because those are the guys who are going to most effectively play the type of high intensity, high physicality, challenge everything, crash-the-glass style of play which is the foundation of their coaching styles. 

this Texas program has neither the coaching nor the playing personnel to be a great defensive team. tyrese hunter was once-upon-a-time a great free safety style defender, but he isn’t locking anyone down out there. max abmas and IT horton have been straight up liabilities on defense. we all know that great team defense starts on the perimeter, disrupting opposing guards and shutting down the three point line, and we simply do not have the personnel to do that. and even if we did, this coaching staff is full of offensive minded coaches and recruiters. it is not a group of coaches that you would ever expect to roll out a smothering defense.

our best defensive lineup would be weaver, hunter, mitchell, disu, and shedrick, an offensively challenged lineup to say the least. you can add brock to the list as the sixth man, but he too is extremely limited offensively, and is best as a help defender. he’s not someone who can lock down a typical big xii guard, nor can he particularly lock down most starting big men.

an honest, realistic look at this team and its members shows it to be a team that is going to have to win games in the offensive end of the court, and unfortunately, a team that is never going to scare opponents defensively. that’s not this coaching staff’s MO and it never has been. add to that our lack of team and individual defense, and it isn’t hard to conclude that our poor pre-conference metrics and performances are not something that is likely to change come conference play where the competition level goes way, way up. of course i am hopeful for change, but im just not foreseeing the type of change that would have this team in a position to win in this league/ncaa tourney play.

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

You made his point. Good job.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2023 at 3:08 PM, shadow_operative said:

an honest inspection of this thread would bear out that 9/10 times it’s not me who is being insulting towards someone else over his differing opinion, but rather the exact opposite of that. 

It's absolutely insane to me that you truly believe this to be the case.

• Hook 'Em 1