The Rodney Terry salary and structure Poll if your were Del Conte?

horn4life

The Rodney Terry salary and structure Poll  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Annual Salary Prediction

• $1,000,000 he gets a pay cut...
    • 2,000,000 well damn...
    • 3,000,000 well... more than Rick Barnes but right at Shaka
    • 4,000,000 or elite 8 x half million
    • 5,000,000 now that's a slapping good salary
    • 6,000,000... because we are the Joneses...
  2. 2. Contract Duration

• 1 year - well how fucking dumb is that recruiting-wise!!!
    • 2 year - well that's not quite a dumb recruiting-wise
    • 3 year - that's sort of security and good for a year of recruiting
    • 4 year - well now we have a real commitment
    • 5 year - Who hoo, Rodney you the man!
    • 6 year - are you fucking crazy?

IF I were writing the contract, I would probably use a big signing bonus to juice the overall salary, and spend some of the cash we saved with Beard's exit.  I would want to juice the contract with incentives, simply as the biggest argument against Terry is can he reach this level on his own.  This allows both protection for the University and incentive for the coach who believes in himself.  

In my mind, a $2.5 million signing bonus, with a 4 year $4 million a year base salary, with the following incentives, Conference Title $500,000, Sweet 16 $500,000, Elite 8 $750,000, Final Four $1,000,000, Natty $2,000,000.  If he wins he eclipses Beard's salary Easily

Just thought it might be a fun exercise to see what other folks might do if they were making the decisions.

Well since A$M is paying 4.1 million, I guess I should have added a lot more zeros to my salary numbers.  But with a fat Bonus, $4 mil base, and some serious incentives I think that is about the right starting point.

Let's all be honest, if Terry manages even a couple of the Incentives I listed, he is gonna probably get an extension and a salary bump.  But I think my initial proposal is in the neighborhood of what Del Conte will deliver.  I could be underbidding on base salary, but I prefer a larger bonus as a reward (without cost really) for this season, and slightly lower guaranteed base with incentives.

1 hour ago, ClubWhatever said:

5 years at 3 mil.  If it’s fucked after 3 years only 6 mil plus assistants to start over. 

That's what I picked. I'd throw in some incentives for things like CCG appearance, Sweet 16/Elite 8/FF/ Natty as well. No bonus for making the tournament as that should be table stakes at a place like Texas. 

9 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

That's what I picked. I'd throw in some incentives for things like CCG appearance, Sweet 16/Elite 8/FF/ Natty as well. No bonus for making the tournament as that should be table stakes at a place like Texas. 

Almost every college coach's contract has bonuses for things like winning the conference, winning COY awards and how far you advance in the tournament.  That is quite standard.

I know Vic Schaefer got some nice bonuses for winning the Big 12 regular season and being named Big 12 COY. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I will be very curious to hear all the details of the contract, especially the incentives.  I actually like a longer contract at a lower price point from a recruiting perspective.  I was juicing the salary a hair in my prediction but cutting the term.  I should have realized that any commitment less that 5 years after giving Beard 5 years, might not be the best idea to boost recruiting.

So like I said on the term survey! Whoo Hoo! Rodney you the Man!!!

While it's completely possible that RT will flame out.  I can't feel anything but good for a guy who honestly seems to love the kids he coaches.  I think his choked up interview about being in these kids lives for year was genuine.  And if you can't root like fuck for a guy like that? Who you gonna root for?