2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

2 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

He was done. You can't have a guy go from 60 pitches to 100 pitches in 1 start. Pulling him was fine, Montero had a bad game it happens, Stanek should not be used past the 7th ever.

the last 2 have massive ERAs and poor outings. Yes, you can go from 60 to 100, no problem at all, he was at 84 and doing fine. Analytics is for dorks, be a man, do the right thing. 

1 minute ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

the last 2 have massive ERAs and poor outings. Yes, you can go from 60 to 100, no problem at all, he was at 84 and doing fine. Analytics is for dorks, be a man, do the right thing. 

The last two had a 3.27 and 2.77 ERA's going into their appearances tonight. 

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

In other news Bregs flirting with the Mendoza line on May 6.

lovely 

Actually now a bit worse than Mendoza's career average (.215). Maybe with a hot streak the salsa king can get it up to .220 soon. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I really didn’t think Hensley could suck this bad. His 5 minutes is up. The clock has struck 12 for Dubon also I’m afraid. Abreu and Bregman are single-wides occupying prime real estate in the order. It’s Yordan and Tuck and pray a hog finds an acorn somewhere in the lineup. We can plug Altuve, Brantley and even Chas into the lineup but as long as both corners are closer to the Mendoza line than .300, with the power of a 10 year old girl softball player, this team is going to struggle around .500. Another pitching injury and that’s in jeopardy. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Yes- we should have signed him. 
hes 20% better than league average and our offense is 10% worse. He can play C, LF, 1B and DH. The people currently playing those spots are somewhere between national league pitcher hitting for himself, really shitty, and 10% below league average. 
he is on pace for a 4 WAR season right now. By all means- spike the football and take a victory lap if you want to but he’s going to earn his contract then some. 

1 hour ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

I really didn’t think Hensley could suck this bad. His 5 minutes is up. The clock has struck 12 for Dubon also I’m afraid. Abreu and Bregman are single-wides occupying prime real estate in the order. It’s Yordan and Tuck and pray a hog finds an acorn somewhere in the lineup. We can plug Altuve, Brantley and even Chas into the lineup but as long as both corners are closer to the Mendoza line than .300, with the power of a 10 year old girl softball player, this team is going to struggle around .500. Another pitching injury and that’s in jeopardy. 

I'm fine with Dubon being a utility player on the team.

• Hook 'Em 2

RHP J.P. France became the 4th Astros pitcher in franchise history to toss at least 5.0 scoreless innings in their Major League debut. He joins RHP Hunter Brown (2022), RHP Jarred Cosart (2013) and LHP Carlos Hernandez (2001) who also recorded this feat.

5 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

Jose the Jesus is literally the biggest piece of shit to ever come through houston and this is a city that had Evan Drehlich and Chandler Rome here. You should never post anything from him unless it’s to point and laugh. Go to your time out corner and feel bad about what you’ve done. 

2 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

RHP J.P. France became the 4th Astros pitcher in franchise history to toss at least 5.0 scoreless innings in their Major League debut. He joins RHP Hunter Brown (2022), RHP Jarred Cosart (2013) and LHP Carlos Hernandez (2001) who also recorded this feat.

On our podcast we talked a little about Carlos Hernandez last week. 
still one of my biggest feel bad memories ever as a fan. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Mitch Hedberg said:

League average OPS is .727 so far this year.  Bregman at .662 and Abreu at .527(!!!!) is so concerning.  No idea what the average OPS is for those corner spots, but it's got to be higher than .727.  That .200 delta for Abreu is no fluke.  I remember reading an article two weeks into the season when he was batting around .300 that raised cause for concern based on the swing and miss rate and the abnormally high BABIP for that small sample set.  Sounds like it was spot on.  

• Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, hornmpa96 said:

Montero was less than 2 inches from making the play on Raleigh’s check-swing infield hit. Just really unlucky last night.

Lets win the series today and get Brantley/Chas back.

pena and bregman really fucked that one up behind him. That W was so damn close. Stanek sucked, montero had two shitty infield single

win the series today. Get brantley and chas back. The bench and roster become better  

• Hook 'Em 1

Last night sucked and losing Garcia is damn huge, but I’m still excited about this team and season. Chas and brantley back this week, we’ll have a damn Swiss Army knife of a roster / bench. Bregman and Abreu will get better, they’re damn top tier professionals. Altuve will be on rehab soon, LMJ too. The brown, France, Diaz trio of rookies, there’s something there, next foundation layer hopefully. 

I don’t know if we’ll have the capital, but we have the flexibility to make moves. This is a scrappy roster as is, capable of beating the best in mlb. Our best baseball is ahead of us and we are very much in the thick of things 

Come The Rock GIF by WWE

Edited by tx 3 putt
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 hours ago, Spaulding Smails said:

League average OPS is .727 so far this year.  Bregman at .662 and Abreu at .527(!!!!) is so concerning.  No idea what the average OPS is for those corner spots, but it's got to be higher than .727.  That .200 delta for Abreu is no fluke.  I remember reading an article two weeks into the season when he was batting around .300 that raised cause for concern based on the swing and miss rate and the abnormally high BABIP for that small sample set.  Sounds like it was spot on.  

Bregman’s expected wOBA is .358, right in line with his career mark. I realize that you get no points for this, but it basically tells you that his Ks and BBS are good and his contact quality is the same as always. It suggests some bad luck. No real reason to worry about him.

Abreu is a different story. His expected wOBA is .278; his average exit velo is way down, his walks are down, his strikeouts are up. He is a mess. Definite cause for concern. 

14 hours ago, David Dennison said:

Why is Hensley hitting?

Sadly at least a third of the lineup is an automatic out right now. Bregmans slow start routine isn't funny anymore. Abreu is a disaster, Hensley is lost. Dusty refuses to shuffle the lineup or sit guys that are struggling. 

Put Uncle Mike at first when he's back, he's going to be a better first baseman than Abreu on day 1 based on athletic ability and body type alone.  

But if the mariners don't get those bullshit infield hits with 2 outs athe astros pull that game out. 

7kvp9o.jpg.f1210e900fc548e065c31bcf53511e9f.jpg

27 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

I actually kinda got chills watching that.

i know he just slipped, but I like when he said “if they want me back tomorrow, I’ll be back tomorrow. If they want me back in two weeks, I’ll be back next week” 

Im getting this vibe - 

Prepare Season 7 GIF by Game of Thrones

help is on the way !

Dana Brown - strength level is the concern / indicator for Altuve coming back. Full use of hands and fingers. ahead of schedule 

goal is chas and brantley both back in Anaheim. 

brantley at first, it’s up to him to make that call

France - good stuff. Showed he has talent. Get blanco stretched out in AAA and ready for an mlb start this season. Starter depth is now critical. Always Looking to add external starters into the minors. Teams cover their minors starter talent. 

urquidy - maybe it’s not as bad as it looked / everyone initially thought 

Well damn ….

Jose Altuve said he feels really good. He hit about six HRs today in BP, some to dead center field and another to the second deck at T-Mobile Park. Unclear when he could go on a rehab assignment, but he is progressing quicker than anyone — even Altuve himself — thought.

• Hook 'Em 1