2023 Houston Astros Thread

Planet Houston

I don't know what the actual stats are specifically, and I think I've said it before but...

It seems like every game Maldonado has called this year, the starter does really well (maybe save an Urquidy start) but has that one little league inning where the pitch sequencing is absolute garbage, gives up runs when they were previously cruising AND Maldy whiffs on a catchable pitch to move runners up.   I know for sure it's happened 4 times.  

He just doesn't have whatever he used to have behind the plate.  He's not as athletic, he's even slower, pitch sequencing goes in and out and his hand eye coordination with the glove is utter garbage (for an MLBer).  I just do not understand how this team isn't having it's player leadership tell Dusty it's time.  

And I have zero sympathy for Seattle on that Tucker pitch.  Seems like those "bad call then a big hit" has gone against us a lot more than for us over the last 5 years.  Luckily the team has been outstanding over that time.

Edited by uoftorange

Missed the game last night because I took my nephew to see GotG V3.    Catching up on this thread and replays this morning.  For a moment, I thought I felt bad for Servais and the M’s on the missed strike 3 to Tuck.  But then I let out a long fart and realized it was just gas.  

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, runthebone said:

So basically, we win when Alvarez and Tucker are heroes and lose otherwise. 

Yeah man. Look at the lineup- it’s pretty close to garbage right now. 

Tucker and Alvarez are awesome. 
Bregman is a very very good hitter who cosplays as a chump every april and often in May. 

Peña is probably a net net average hitter that is a bit streaky  

Dubon and Julks, as much as we can appreciate what they’ve done- are both below average hitters and we see that in their sub 100 OPS.  Jake Meyers probably finds average offense to be aspirational. That’s ok if he’s been just a. Little below average- like he has this year. 

maldonado is fucking terrible. 

so yeah- Tucker and Alvarez got to save us or it ain’t happening before we get our dudes back (and move Diaz into the lineup more often. 

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

upscale rubbish, not garbage, and we’re still above .500. This roster will get better, but now some young arms need to step up big time 

very very scrappy bunch. Reminds me of some old Astro teams 

Edited by tx 3 putt

21 minutes ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Bregman is a very very good hitter who cosplays as a chump every april and often in May. 

Dubon and Julks, as much as we can appreciate what they’ve done- are both below average hitters and we see that in their sub 100 OPS.  Jake Meyers probably finds average offense to be aspirational. That’s ok if he’s been just a. Little below average- like he has this year. 

so yeah- Tucker and Alvarez got to save us or it ain’t happening before we get our dudes back (and move Diaz into the lineup more often. 

9 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

upscale rubbish, not garbage, and we’re still above .500. This roster will get better, but now some young arms need to step up big time 

Our garbage is a lot of team's caviar, but it sure feels like garbage.

33 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

not only that but if you're a believer in the pythag % this team is 19-13 and in first place with all these issues above. Now if they could just stop losing to <.500 teams....

10 minutes ago, Gourmand said:

not only that but if you're a believer in the pythag % this team is 19-13 and in first place with all these issues above. Now if they could just stop losing to <.500 teams....

the A’s are foaming at the mouth to play this team 

🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺🥺

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wulaw Horn said:

Pena can carry the offense like he did in the post-season, but he's better when he's like the 5th+ hitter on your team. The big question is Abreu, if he is really done like he is looking like, that is going to be horrible for the offense.

Meyers is garbage, .339 BAbip and still 8% worse than a league average hitter. 23 BBs in just over career 400 PAs, fucking abysmal.

Edited by HtownHorn