Caitlin Clark …. Seriously

MirrOlure

1 hour ago, DixonHur said:

This.  I used to play pick-up at the Rec Center when I was an undergrad and every once in a while, a few of the stars from Jody's Elite 8 teams would come in to play...mind you I'm 5'9" and probably weighed a Buck-Fifty back then, so naturally I would be asked to guard the women....I had zero problems scoring on or defending against them.  And that's definitely not a brag.... I was a mid-tier player at best.

IMG_9943.jpeg

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, immamac said:

Spoken by someone that has never watched the wnba. 

Curious. Which highlight reel can you point to that is more impressive/entertaining skill wise than CC’s college film?

Scoop layups and corner threes aren't the same as shots from the logo to go with the ball handling and passing (of which i’m sure she has peers and superiors). 

She’s the most coordinated and skilled female basketball player i’ve seen, doesn’t mean she is the “best”. Just fun to watch

Love  Swoopes. Comparing the two on film looks like two different sports.  

Final 4 was the same. She was in another class than anyone else on the floor. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

Caitlin Clark in the NBA? Lmao. That is more ridiculous than if Bama/Georgia/Clemson could beat an NFL team or if UConn could beat an NBA team. At leat that is men vs men.

A random DFW high school boys soccer team embarrassed the US Women's national team some years back.

Caitlin Clark wouldn't even last in the lowest men's college division. In fact, I'm not sure how well she would fare at the high school boys level, especially AAU level. They would run her off the court. Go throw her on a random playground basketball court of men and I;m sure she would fare awful.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

Curious. Which highlight reel can you point to that is more impressive/entertaining skill wise than CC’s college film?

Scoop layups and corner threes aren't the same as shots from the logo to go with the ball handling and passing (of which i’m sure she has peers and superiors). 

She’s the most coordinated and skilled female basketball player i’ve seen, doesn’t mean she is the “best”. Just fun to watch

Love  Swoopes. Comparing the two on film looks like two different sports.  

Final 4 was the same. She was in another class than anyone else on the floor. 

this is legitimately stupid. She's good at basketball and I'm not taking anything away from her. She just isn't "gonna change the WNBA" cuz she's so good. 

The eyeballs she's bringing to the sport are really great, but it's comments like yours that make me sit back and double down on my previous comment about her personal brand being more valuable than the entire league before she joined it. Maybe WNBA gets good ratings finally? Who knows, but it's definitely not hurting the sport having all this attention

• Hook 'Em 2

8 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You guys are right.  She sucks and would def get her face fucked in a boys highschool game.  My bad all. 

That's more likely than her "contributing" to an NBA roster.

5 hours ago, immamac said:

this is legitimately stupid. She's good at basketball and I'm not taking anything away from her. She just isn't "gonna change the WNBA" cuz she's so good. 

The eyeballs she's bringing to the sport are really great, but it's comments like yours that make me sit back and double down on my previous comment about her personal brand being more valuable than the entire league before she joined it. Maybe WNBA gets good ratings finally? Who knows, but it's definitely not hurting the sport having all this attention

WNBA revenue was $60 million last year. She absolutely is worth $30 million or half the league value. 

10 hours ago, Sgt Hulk said:

You guys are right.  She sucks and would def get her face fucked in a boys highschool game.  My bad all. 

Lol now you've gone too far in the other direction. She'd be very good at the HS boys level. 

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

WNBA revenue was $60 million last year. She absolutely is worth $30 million or half the league value. 

Tell me you don't work in finance without telling me you're not in finance...

The WNBA loses about $10m a year after expenses.

My favorite part of all this is the people who were "outraged" by her salary, yet probably have never paid money to go to a WNBA game.  

She's getting what she deserves in terms of salary, but she'll make tons of money from endorsements.

If the league proves it can attract viewers and turn a profit, player salaries will increase.  Until then why should they make more?

Edited by DixonHur
Phone typos
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Go throw her on a random playground basketball court of men and I;m sure she would fare awful.

This is also silly. She's a better shooter and passer than 99.99% of men. Yeah she'd struggle with the physicality and athleticism but that bitch would carve up most of the joe-shmoes at LA fitness. 

Anyone that you literally can't leave open in a pick up game instantly makes their team like 25% better. Add to that she's a wicked passer - she'd ball out just fine.

But we're talking about the best female 22 year old in the world. 

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

My favorite part of all this is the people who were "outraged" by her salary, yet probably have never paid money to go to a WNBA game.  

She's getting what she deserves in terms of salary, but she'll make tons of money from endorsements.

If the league proves it can attract viewers and turn a profit, player salaries will increase.  Until then why should they make more?

100% agree. She is not underpaid, nor are any WNBA players. Maybe she brings some viewers and they can start breaking even. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

100% agree. She is not underpaid, nor are any WNBA players. Maybe she brings some viewers and they can start breaking even. 

Sorry, didn't know you were joking with the $30m comment.

It's getting hard to tell on this thread.

3 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Sorry, didn't know you were joking with the $30m comment.

It's getting hard to tell on this thread.

https://www.inc.com/associated-press/caitlin-clark-to-sign-nike-deal-worth-28-million.html#:~:text=Caitlin Clark appears to be,and includes a signature shoe.

Caitlin Clark appears to be on the cusp of setting another record. The most prolific scorer in NCAA Division I history and the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA draft will continue her association with Nike by signing a $28 million contract that spans eight years and includes a signature shoe.

I watched some of an Iowa tournament game to see what the fuss was about. CC was a good shooter but what was really impressive was her ball handling, court vision and passing. Going into  I expected her to take every shot but she made some great passes. Easily the best female college player I've seen , which is next to none...but sorry- no way even she could be remotely competitive against the guys. It's really two different sports- the women's game is played so close the floor. I saw rebounds routinely not get touched until the ball was out by the 3 point line- how often do you see that in a men's game? And the physicality and speed of the game would be overwhelming for her- she'd struggle to get open and even more so to get shots or passes off. 

• Hook 'Em 3

23 hours ago, ChickenSandwich said:

https://www.inc.com/associated-press/caitlin-clark-to-sign-nike-deal-worth-28-million.html#:~:text=Caitlin Clark appears to be,and includes a signature shoe.

Caitlin Clark appears to be on the cusp of setting another record. The most prolific scorer in NCAA Division I history and the No. 1 overall pick in the WNBA draft will continue her association with Nike by signing a $28 million contract that spans eight years and includes a signature shoe.

So 3.5 million per year?

Under Armour and Adidas also participated in contract discussions with Clark's team in February, according to the WSJ and Athletic. Puma also showed some interest but walked away when told the bidding would start at $3 million per year, according to the WSJ.

On 5/5/2024 at 12:24 AM, Vic Mackey said:

Caitlin Clark in the NBA? Lmao. That is more ridiculous than if Bama/Georgia/Clemson could beat an NFL team or if UConn could beat an NBA team. At leat that is men vs men.

A random DFW high school boys soccer team embarrassed the US Women's national team some years back.

Caitlin Clark wouldn't even last in the lowest men's college division. In fact, I'm not sure how well she would fare at the high school boys level, especially AAU level. They would run her off the court. Go throw her on a random playground basketball court of men and I;m sure she would fare awful.

It was the U15 national team, and it happened twice. 

Caitlin Clark is fucking awesome to watch. I've never watched a WNBA team in my life, but I watched the scrimmage with her in it and it was pretty, pretty good. 

She's gonna be a star and has elevated the league that can't even make a profit. She may single-handedly make the league a profit with her presence and game. She's unreal, men or women. 

On 5/10/2024 at 8:54 PM, Spider2YBanana said:

Caitlin Clark is fucking awesome to watch. I've never watched a WNBA team in my life, but I watched the scrimmage with her in it and it was pretty, pretty good. 

She's gonna be a star and has elevated the league that can't even make a profit. She may single-handedly make the league a profit with her presence and game. She's unreal, men or women. 

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40139021/sun-sell-first-opener-decades-caitlin-clark-debuts

Its crazy to think about how much league revenue will be dependent on whether or not she  can stay healthy the full year. It will also be interesting how the rest of the league accommodates the spotlight she is going to bring. Will they be catty bitches like Swoopes, or will they realize that she is single handedly going to get them a bigger raise than their collective efforts since the league was founded. 

• Hook 'Em 2

On 5/5/2024 at 12:19 PM, Underdog said:

Liam Neeson? 

Well, looks aside........to be fair, she does have a specific of set of (game) skills.  

On 5/5/2024 at 12:27 PM, DixonHur said:

Yep.  It's all noise.  Her endorsement deals will work wonders for her.  She'll be just fine.  I will never pay money to go to an WNBA game or even stream it.  But my just-getting-into-hoops daughter asks for a Caitlin Clark jersey or pair of high-tops.  Hell yeah, all for it.  

25 minutes ago, ChickenSandwich said:

The jealousy and hate will be off the charts.  

If there's anything the last 9 years in America have taught me.  Men are still the worst thing to happen to women ever.  But a close second, is how women can visit cruelty and shame upon one another almost as bad as we do.  

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, immamac said:

They aren’t stupid. They want her to do well because it’s good for all of them. Plus she’s not a shithead. 

We'll see. Here's the league's two time defending MVP dropping the race card before the season even tips. Its not really a direct attack on Clark and there's some truth in what she says, but its not the type of kumbaya moment I would be hoping for if I was running league marketing. I'm not sure what will cause more panties to get twisted: Clark leading the league in scoring, or finishing middle of the pack.

https://apnews.com/article/caitlin-clark-race-women-college-basketball-b277e81e47c8d9ecc6554720b1a35065

• Rage+1 1

Or watched on TV. The SJWs are hilarious and not worth yapping back at. I did have a brief convo with a non sports lady I work with at work complaining about it after it came out and FB and twitter lost their collective minds, and she saw it. I asked her to name one team not named the Indiana fever and got deer in headlights.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

We'll see. Here's the league's two time defending MVP dropping the race card before the season even tips. Its not really a direct attack on Clark and there's some truth in what she says, but its not the type of kumbaya moment I would be hoping for if I was running league marketing. I'm not sure what will cause more panties to get twisted: Clark leading the league in scoring, or finishing middle of the pack.

https://apnews.com/article/caitlin-clark-race-women-college-basketball-b277e81e47c8d9ecc6554720b1a35065

There’s an absolute level of truth in what she says. I stated the same thing in this very thread. 

That doesn’t mean she is a moron and isn’t gonna ride the gravy train whether it was her or not that got the train going. The fact is if the wnba numbers this year pop they are all going to make more in endorsements. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, immamac said:

There’s an absolute level of truth in what she says. I stated the same thing in this very thread. 

That doesn’t mean she is a moron and isn’t gonna ride the gravy train whether it was her or not that got the train going. The fact is if the wnba numbers this year pop they are all going to make more in endorsements. 

All time scoring leader and looks like Pistol Pete/S Curry playing out there.  Always the most talented player on the floor and makes all of her teammates better. 

Your point has merit but she is a poor example. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

5 hours ago, Blotto said:

https://www.espn.com/wnba/story/_/id/40139021/sun-sell-first-opener-decades-caitlin-clark-debuts

Its crazy to think about how much league revenue will be dependent on whether or not she  can stay healthy the full year. It will also be interesting how the rest of the league accommodates the spotlight she is going to bring. Will they be catty bitches like Swoopes, or will they realize that she is single handedly going to get them a bigger raise than their collective efforts since the league was founded. 

A little hyperbole, but I'm hoping that it kinda brings a Jordan vibe to it. Her being the start for change. She's just so good, and like I said, I've never watched a WNBA game in my life and I tuned into watch her. 

I forgot who made the point but I thought it was a great one (I believe it was Wosney Lambrey of the Ringer basketball podcast). But to paraphrase part of the reason women's basketball couldn't draw fans in the past is because they couldn't match what was popular in the men's game, which of course was ridiculous feats of athleticism. However things have changed in the men's game and while athleticism is still a feature one could argue Step's half court bombs and deep shooting in general is just as much of an attraction, if not moreso than high flying dunks. And low and behold we have a women's star who can match that sort of excitement shot for shot with her male counterparts hence the women's game followed suit and increased in popularity. 

Edited by Catdaddyhorn

55 minutes ago, YGIFS said:

Um, #2 on Chicago.  I have no idea how to pronounce your name.  This is a thread about female athlete empowerment.  

But I'm just gonna fade-away shoot this out there.  If you like it, dunk it.  If you don't, just toss it back.  But I want to be on you.  

It’s pronounced Kaiser 

On 5/5/2024 at 1:27 PM, DixonHur said:

Tell me you work in finance but don’t know shit about accounting without telling me you work in finance but don’t know shit about accounting….