Cheerleaders in a parking lot? That’s a blasting.

CooterBrown

3 hours ago, Bevo said:

So guy was waiting for a drug deal.

I'm going with incel saw pretty girl and decided to let out his frustration because he knew a cheerleader getting into his ride had to be a mistake. 

12 hours ago, Hate said:

Can we have the mods go ahead and post the same old trope that is about to get posted so we can skip ahead to actual news of this event?  

Which Same Ole' trope(s) would that be, exactly?

Is there no place to participate in these activities in Austin?
When this is your takeaway, you are a sad, sad human being. 
You are an embarrassment to this board. 

It’s a legitimate question. Quick look shows at least a dozen large cheer joints in the Austin area. Why have HS kids have to do a 4-5 hour plus road trip on a school night just to go to a practice? Rolling into Elgin at 12:15 means they probably aren’t home until 1:00, best case scenario is in bed by 2? And how many times a week? No thanks.
  • Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

It’s a legitimate question. Quick look shows at least a dozen large cheer joints in the Austin area. Why have HS kids have to do a 4-5 hour plus road trip on a school night just to go to a practice? Rolling into Elgin at 12:15 means they probably aren’t home until 1:00, best case scenario is in bed by 2? And how many times a week? No thanks.

It is a legitimate question if we're discussing the best places to send our kids for cheer camp/competitions. It isn't a legitimate question when we are discussing some random fuck stick shooting up some cheerleaders for approaching his car. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

So many absolute pussy's in this country. 
Someone knocked on my door - pew pew pew no questions asked.
Someone drove down my driveway - pew pew pew no questions asked.
Someone tried to open the door to my car - pew pew pew no questions asked.

It’s freaking worse than that. After he saw it was a car load of HS girls he got out of his car and shot them. Can’t claim he was just startled and shot without thinking.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Dahobbs said:

It is a legitimate question if we're discussing the best places to send our kids for cheer camp/competitions. It isn't a legitimate question when we are discussing some random fuck stick shooting up some cheerleaders for approaching his car. 

You think this is any less relevant than a giant fucking rabbit hole of "What would I do in the same situation?" The guy literally fucking said some equivalent of "And also, why was she hours away from home at midnight on a school night." It was a throw away comment as much as anything, and some folks on here weirdly grabbing onto it like a fucking badger that it proves the guy, who literally is present on every gun thread as aggressively against gun violence as anyone else, as some kind of embarrassment? This is a weird effort to flex by some people. 

But hey, we're discussing some random fuck stick shooting up some cheerleaders. It's clearly the best time for some of your personal introspection about what you'd do if a cheerleader hopped into your car at midnight by mistake. 

1 minute ago, GoPokes83 said:

It’s freaking worse than that. After he saw it was a car load of HS girls he got out of his car and shot them. Can’t claim he was just startled and shot without thinking.

Still going with incel. Although I guess it can be both incel and drug deal. 

• Like 1

I guess. Maybe. Girls aren’t there and this douche winds up shooting his dealer for a suspicious looking quarter instead. Then no one gives a fuck.

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

You think this is any less relevant than a giant fucking rabbit hole of "What would I do in the same situation?" The guy literally fucking said some equivalent of "And also, why was she hours away from home at midnight on a school night." It was a throw away comment as much as anything, and some folks on here weirdly grabbing onto it like a fucking badger that it proves the guy, who literally is present on every gun thread as aggressively against gun violence as anyone else, as some kind of embarrassment? This is a weird effort to flex by some people. 

But hey, we're discussing some random fuck stick shooting up some cheerleaders. It's clearly the best time for some of your personal introspection about what you'd do if a cheerleader hopped into your car at midnight by mistake. 

The point of the out of city cheer camp comment appeared to be to place blame on the family on the victim. I don't think that is an appropriate suggestion here. But that doesn't mean I think the conversation about it should be stopped. 

The other conversation you mentioned stemmed from a discussion about whether the neighbors were blameworthy for not responding differently.

14 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I don't see any reason, outside of misguided moral policing, that both questions can't be covered in a discussion about an incident that involves both questions.  Questioning why children are participating in something that put them into a dangerous situation, a situation that anyone with common sense would have been concerned about as a parent, does not take away from the fact that this is entirely the shooter's fault or that he's clearly a piece of shit. Nor does it take away from the more significant issue of gun ownership and how fucking stupid it is in this country.   Zero-sum thinking is ridiculous no matter which color t-shirt you're wearing, and (barely) nuanced discussion shouldn't be shouted down by a pack of well-intentioned folks who, rightly or wrongly, claim the moral high ground.

EDIT TO ADD: I don't know anything about the poster who first brought this up.  Perhaps there is history there (or from the political board) that has colored peoples responses that I'm just missing.  I didn't pick up on victim blaming in his post, myself.

Edited by Samson's Wig
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Samson's Wig said:

I don't see any reason, outside of misguided moral policing, that both questions can't be covered in a discussion about an incident that involves both questions.  Questioning why children are participating in something that put them into a dangerous situation, a situation that anyone with common sense would have been concerned about as a parent, does not take away from the fact that this is entirely the shooter's fault or that he's clearly a piece of shit. Nor does it take away from the more significant issue of gun ownership and how fucking stupid it is in this country.   Zero-sum thinking is ridiculous no matter which color t-shirt you're wearing, and (barely) nuanced discussion shouldn't be shouted down by a pack of well-intentioned folks who, rightly or wrongly, claim the moral high ground.

I wasn't intending to shout down the discussion. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, GoPokes83 said:

Yeah you idiots are out of your element here, no offense. My sister (no pics) did competitive cheerleading all through high school. Many of the girls cheer for a couple different teams/gyms, not just one. You have a main one and then another for more exposure or experience that isn’t as huge of a time commitment. Maybe just a few competitions, once a week (if that) practice. Your main gym or school you’re practicing for is a daily thing.

And saying these girls deserved to be shot at just for doing that is beyond insane.

• Fuck You 2

People get shot for the darndest thing. The guy who said "enjoy the wild west, cowboy, while it lasts" I think is spot on.

That said, I think the default reaction to "holed up watching fox news for 20 hours a day in his recliner so he's scared of his own shadow" argument which gets repeated over and over gets diminished when talking about stupid gun owners when you realize there is a spectrum of this epidemic.

6 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

The point of the out of city cheer camp comment appeared to be to place blame on the family on the victim. I don't think that is an appropriate suggestion here. But that doesn't mean I think the conversation about it should be stopped. 

The other conversation you mentioned stemmed from a discussion about whether the neighbors were blameworthy for not responding differently.

The guy was basically musing out loud. And I didn't read it to blame the family or victim, but everyone is entitled to their own interpretation. But even if that WERE his intent, I don't see much of a difference between "The parents shouldn't have their kid out at 12 or 1 on a school night far away from home" than "I'm not sure the neighbors did anything wrong by not opening a door and rendering more aid faster."  

Now, I don't think that's what Royiv was saying at all, but even if it were, they're literally BOTH CONVERSATIONS ON THIRD PARTIES AND WHETHER THEY'RE BLAMEWORTHY. One of which you're cool dragging out over the course of fucking pages, assumedly because it's your thought and you had to defend yourself after you got critiqued, but here if someone else does it, it isn't appropriate. That's some hypocritical bullshit from where I stand. Maybe you got so much shit from some posters on the other thread you felt the need to give someone shit over here, I don't know. 

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I wasn't intending to shout down the discussion. 

It's a god damn message board. It basically exists for fucking discussion. The next thread that doesn't have multiple related topics going on at once will be the fucking first. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Yeah you idiots are out of your element here, no offense. My sister (no pics) did competitive cheerleading all through high school. Many of the girls cheer for a couple different teams/gyms, not just one. You have a main one and then another for more exposure or experience that isn’t as huge of a time commitment. Maybe just a few competitions, once a week (if that) practice. Your main gym or school you’re practicing for is a daily thing.

And saying these girls deserved to be shot at just for doing that is beyond insane.

Literally no one said that, or even implied it. The guy has literally 16 posts on page one, and has said as much several times, and clarified his thoughts. Now go find me where he said "They deserved to die." Go on, we'll wait. 

• Hook 'Em 2

13 hours ago, CooterBrown said:

https://www.kvue.com/article/news/crime/elgin-heb-shooting/269-6e612083-9472-4b33-9fcc-6d855e2c5e44

A man is in custody after police say he shot two people in the parking lot of an H-E-B off US 290 in Elgin early Tuesday morning.

The Elgin Police Department (EPD) said at approximately 12:15 a.m. on April 18, officers were dispatched to the H-E-B located at 1080 E. US 290 for a call of shots fired. While officers were responding to the scene, EPD received an additional call for a shooting victim in the 800 block of State Highway 95 North.

Police determined the two incidents were related. According to EPD, information suggests that an altercation occurred in the H-E-B parking lot. Multiple shots were fired into a vehicle, and two occupants were struck.

One victim was treated and released on the scene, while the other victim sustained serious injuries and was transported to a hospital by helicopter.

Lynne Shearer, one of the owners of Woodlands Elite Cheer in the Houston area, confirmed that two of the team's cheerleaders were the victims involved. She said that one of the athletes was not seriously injured, while the other remains in intensive care. Two other cheerleaders from the team were also on the scene, but they were not injured.

Shearer said the four cheerleaders have been driving back and forth from the Austin area to the team's location in Oak Ridge, all season. She said the girls all carpool together from the Austin area, so they regularly all park their cars at the H-E-B in Elgin.

Shearer said the cheerleaders left practice at about 9:30 p.m. Monday and arrived at the H-E-B between midnight and 12:15 a.m.

"They pulled up, unfortunately to the wrong car. They thought it was one of the girl's cars – she went to get in the car, realized that there was somebody in there. She, I think, originally thought, 'Oh my gosh, there's somebody in my car,' and then she realized, 'Wait, this isn't my car,'" Shearer said. "Then the guy, from what we understand, the guy got out. She jumped back in her car, rolled down the window to apologize and say, 'I'm sorry, I thought this was my car,' and they saw that he had a gun."

if the shooter had been white, and their car approached by a black person. The castle doctrine would apply here 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Literally no one said that, or even implied it. The guy has literally 16 posts on page one, and has said as much several times, and clarified his thoughts. Now go find me where he said "They deserved to die." Go on, we'll wait. 

@royivand @GoPokes83 were pretty clearly blaming the incident on the victims for being in that parking lot. Notice they’ve made no mention of the shooter or any condemnation of his actions, but had a lot to say about the victims here. To me thats the same as saying they deserved to be shot.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 3
  • Drool 1

12 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Now, I don't think that's what Royiv was saying at all, but even if it were, they're literally BOTH CONVERSATIONS ON THIRD PARTIES AND WHETHER THEY'RE BLAMEWORTHY. One of which you're cool dragging out over the course of fucking pages, assumedly because it's your thought and you had to defend yourself after you got critiqued, but here if someone else does it, it isn't appropriate. That's some hypocritical bullshit from where I stand. Maybe you got so much shit from some posters on the other thread you felt the need to give someone shit over here, I don't know. 

I didn't say he couldn't defend himself or that the conversation needed to stop. I'm not sure where you're getting that impression, but it wasn't my intent.  I just didn't think the insinuation that it was partially family's fault had much merit.

• Fuck You 1

22 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

You, along with several others, are fucking dense. Since comprehension seems to be a challenge for you and several others, let me clarify:

1. Fuck the piece of shit that chose to open fire on a group of innocent teenagers in the parking lot of HEB. It's further proof that we don't need more guns in this country. Despite what our esteemed resident arms dealer thinks, guns don't reduce violence. If this fuckhead didn't have a gun, there wouldn't be an innocent high schooler in an ICU bed right now.

99. It's bonkers to me that there are kids commuting between Round Rock and The Woodlands for cheer (or any other, for that matter) instruction late at night on a weeknight. I'm slightly older, by several decades, and my parents worry about me driving back and forth from their home in Austin to my home in Houston late at night. 

• Hook 'Em 4

4 minutes ago, Helobious said:

@royivand @GoPokes83 were pretty clearly blaming the incident on the victims for being in that parking lot. Notice they’ve made no mention of the shooter or any condemnation of his actions, but had a lot to say about the victims here. To me thats the same as saying they deserved to be shot.

You are so fucking dumb. I don't think you can read or haven't seen any of my posts regarding guns. If you get shot, I'll make an exception and blame you since you're a dumbass.

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Helobious said:

As usual, your instincts are about as wrong as humanly possible. He isn't clearly doing shit. I'm not sure if you have no concept of what posters viewpoints are across multiple different threads and live in a black hole where each discussion is a blank slate, but that motherfucker hates guns, hates gun violence, and spent most of the last page mocking someone who sells firearms for a living. Yeah, he's clearly blaming them for being in a parking lot.

Asking why someone is in a location at an odd time of a crime isn't an absurd question, nor is it fucking blaming. Especially when, as you put it, he doesn't know shit about how competitive cheer works. As for GoPokes, the guy literally showed up and said "I don't think he's asking an unreasonable question" and then goes on to blast the shooter in the last dozen posts. Clearly victim blaming. 

As usual the things that are Clear to you are typically ass fucking backwards.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

3 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I didn't say he couldn't defend himself or that the conversation needed to stop. I'm not sure where you're getting that impression, but it wasn't my intent.  I just didn't think the insinuation that it was partially family's fault had much merit.

That's not at all what I was insinuating. Coming from the guy who spent 15 hours yesterday defending hiding in his house, that's rich. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Not everyone made that his interpretation. But when you're line of thought is in line with Helobious, maybe ask yourself some hard questions.

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, royiv said:

You, along with several others, are fucking dense. Since comprehension seems to be a challenge for you and several others, let me clarify:

1. Fuck the piece of shit that chose to open fire on a group of innocent teenagers in the parking lot of HEB. It's further proof that we don't need more guns in this country. Despite what our esteemed resident arms dealer thinks, guns don't reduce violence. If this fuckhead didn't have a gun, there wouldn't be an innocent high schooler in an ICU bed right now.

99. It's bonkers to me that there are kids commuting between Round Rock and The Woodlands for cheer (or any other, for that matter) instruction late at night on a weeknight. I'm slightly older, by several decades, and my parents worry about me driving back and forth from their home in Austin to my home in Houston late at night. 

Great, I'm sorry that is how I read the post. 

Kid's after school activities are intense nowadays, especially if the kid is at all competitive. I don't think this scenario is all that unusual. Hell, remember driving late at night for some scholastic competitions on school nights, and I wasn't at all serious about them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Dahobbs said:

Great, I'm sorry that is how I read the post. 

Kid's after school activities are intense nowadays, especially if the kid is at all competitive. I don't think this scenario is all that unusual. Hell, remember driving late at night for some scholastic competitions on school nights, and I wasn't at all serious about them. 

I don't think you have ever been serious about anything scholastic.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, royiv said:

That's not at all what I was insinuating. Coming from the guy who spent 15 hours yesterday defending hiding in his house, that's rich. 

I have no idea why you're taking this personally. You made a comment that I may have misinterpreted, and I made one post indirectly related to it in response to someone else. Everything else is a severe overreaction, just like the discussion on my post yesterday. I mean, Jesus, I didn't even say anything inflammatory, name call, or anything like that. 

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

As usual, your instincts are about as wrong as humanly possible. He isn't clearly doing shit. I'm not sure if you have no concept of what posters viewpoints are across multiple different threads and live in a black hole where each discussion is a blank slate, but that motherfucker hates guns, hates gun violence, and spent most of the last page mocking someone who sells firearms for a living. Yeah, he's clearly blaming them for being in a parking lot.

Asking why someone is in a location at an odd time of a crime isn't an absurd question, nor is it fucking blaming. Especially when, as you put it, he doesn't know shit about how competitive cheer works. As for GoPokes, the guy literally showed up and said "I don't think he's asking an unreasonable question" and then goes on to blast the shooter in the last dozen posts. Clearly victim blaming. 

As usual the things that are Clear to you are typically ass fucking backwards.

I haven’t read the whole thread yet and haven’t seen every response. I just saw how his opening post put 100% of the blame on the victims and thought that was very stupid, and saw that gopokes agreed with him. I’m not familiar with either poster or their views on issues. Granted it looks like they were both successful in drawing discussion away from the shooter and his weapon and onto something else totally irrelevant, which I imagine was roy’s initial goal.

• Fuck You 5

Oh, I dunno. Misinterpreting someone’s post to the point where you accuse them of victim shaming and of saying the real culprit is the parents, to a guy who abhors guns and guns violence, might piss them off just a little bit. 

You’d think someone with your experience yesterday might be a little more sympathetic to folks twisting your words when you were honest online to people. But here we are. No one likes being accused of something they’re not. Call me an Okie or Aggy and see what happens. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I haven’t read the whole thread yet and haven’t seen every response. I just saw how his opening post put 100% of the blame on the victims and thought that was very stupid, and saw that gopokes agreed with him. I’m not familiar with either poster or their views on issues. Granted it looks like they were both successful in drawing discussion away from the shooter and his weapon and onto something else totally irrelevant, which I imagine was roy’s initial goal.

You don’t fucking say! So out of character of you to wish in with a bad take armed only with your ignorance. That never happens. 

the only thing go pokes agreed with, was that he thought it was a fair question to ask. Are you illiterate? Because that would explain how you didn’t read the whole thread, but somehow saw Royiv’s post and GoPpkes post, which literally on dozens of posts apart. 

Lol, it was a conspiracy by the two guys who hate gun violence to distract the thread from gun violence! Is your tin foil hat effecting your vision? Maybe that would explain the lack of reading comprehension. 

• Rage+1 1

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Oh, I dunno. Misinterpreting someone’s post to the point where you accuse them of victim shaming and of saying the real culprit is the parents, to a guy who abhors guns and guns violence, might piss them off just a little bit. 

You’d think someone with your experience yesterday might be a little more sympathetic to folks twisting your words when you were honest online to people. But here we are. No one likes being accused of something they’re not. Call me an Okie or Aggy and see what happens. 

I made one post man. He clarified his position, all good. I don't know why you're intent on making this deal or making me the center of it. I'm not the one that said "embarrassment to the board" or any of the inflammatory shit. Seems like your beef should be with them. 

5 minutes ago, ultimaton said:

Thank god there was a gun there to de-escalate this situation

If only we had one to de-escalate this thread! [Psst, this is sarcasm for those that weren't sure]

Edited by Dahobbs

Upon a full re-read I think @royiv was being sarcastic when he said the “shooter was justified in neutralizing the cheerleader that approached his car”. Definitely didn’t come across that way at first. I notice now also that his victim-blaming post wasn’t his first response in the thread, my bad. I do stand by my interpretation that it’s victim-blaming, and at least 4 other posters have expressed the same. Clearly it was a dumb thing on his part to bring up in that post.

• Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

I made one post man. He clarified his position, all good. I don't know why you're intent on making this deal or making me the center of it. I'm not the one that said "embarrassment to the board" or any of the inflammatory shit. Seems like your beef should be with them. 

If only we had one to de-escalate this thread! [Psst, this is sarcasm for those that weren't sure]

I know you did. I pos-rep'd you for it, because people admitting they may have been a mistake and revising their position is rare in this world, and even rarer online, so good on you. And view my posting as more general thoughts on all those posters. 

I can't say this enough, and this goes to everyone here. When you're consistently in line with Helobious on a subject, stop and re-evaluate things. This has been a public service announcement. 

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Upon a full re-read I think @royiv was being sarcastic when he said the “shooter was justified in neutralizing the cheerleader that approached his car”. Definitely didn’t come across that way at first. I notice now also that his victim-blaming post wasn’t his first response in the thread, my bad. I do stand by my interpretation that it’s victim-blaming, and at least 4 other posters have expressed the same. Clearly it was a dumb thing on his part to bring up in that post.

Guys, guys, upon a full re-read, I have to say that maybe I misinterpreted Royiv and missed some sarcasm. That being said, I still stand by my interpretation even though I just admitted I was totally wrong in my interpretation, and as proof I offer the fact that several other posters, one of which is a deranged incel lunatic who lives in his mom's basement and spends hours a day stalking women online and posting their pictures here on surly, also had the same knee-jerk reaction as myself. Never mind that at least one of those posters has since admitted he may have misinterpreted the post. So I'm still right and he is still wrong.

Bravo!

• Haha 2

[mention=245]royiv[/mention]and [mention=1426]GoPokes83[/mention] were pretty clearly blaming the incident on the victims for being in that parking lot. Notice they’ve made no mention of the shooter or any condemnation of his actions, but had a lot to say about the victims here. To me thats the same as saying they deserved to be shot.

Seriously fuck you. I just said it was a legitimate question. Questioning and blaming are two very different things.
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Helobious said:

I don't know how someone as dumb as you gets through life on a daily basis. Do you have full-time help?

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Are you fucking serious? Really, are you serious? You need to sit this one out.

Which Same Ole' trope(s) would that be, exactly?

Guess they need more thoughts and prayers, need more good guys with guns, we are so broken, small dick gun owners….same old trope that gets rolled out every single time something like this happens.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Club cheer is not cheap. So it gets my spidey senses tingling when a go fund me is started. Does this family pay for that but not have health insurance?  Do they have insurance but can’t afford the out-of-pocket?

My spidey sense activates when it is club doing it vs family. 

You could maybe skip past these threads if you know how they are going to turn out. But nope, you'll just keep reading them so you can be irritated.

I’m curious about actual facts of the story and like to follow for updates. I don’t want to have to wade through the same 5 or so posts that we all agree will be there. If I want to be irritated, I’ll go to the Cloakroom.

18 minutes ago, Hate said:

I’m curious about actual facts of the story and like to follow for updates. I don’t want to have to wade through the same 5 or so posts that we all agree will be there. If I want to be irritated, I’ll go to the Cloakroom.

Sorry this is Surlyhorns. Not Surlyfacts. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Club cheer is not cheap. So it gets my spidey senses tingling when a go fund me is started. Does this family pay for that but not have health insurance?  Do they have insurance but can’t afford the out-of-pocket?

It's very possible she was doing cheerleading on a club scholarship of some sort. She goes to Stoney Point, which is not exactly in an affluent part of Round Rock. 

Edited by HornOnTheBayou

1 hour ago, mdmost said:

You could maybe skip past these threads if you know how they are going to turn out. But nope, you'll just keep reading them so you can be irritated.

To be fair, you’d miss a spectacular Helobiousing if you skipped this one. That’s a possibility on literally any thread at all, of course, but you never know which one. 

• Like 1