wc day 13 :: reservoir dog

Hagbard Celine

15 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Because he's a human being who lacks the ability to react in two hundredths of a second.

You're making a great number of assumptions here. First, your assuming that a player can't make a combo play using more than 1 part of his body. Secondly, you're assuming the player is so bad at heading a ball that he heads it into his own hand. Third, you're assuming that the play was not intentional. These are all assumptions. The facts are that it hit is arm and the last player it came off was ALSO him. Should be penal.

57 minutes ago, plvhorn said:

was the game played in buenos aires? the crowd looks like 90% argentina fans. 

Argentina travels very well.

Partly because so many people with some money don't live in Argentina (Spain & Italy are dripping with Argies), and partly because...

In 2010, for example, the Argentine government allowed people out of prison to go to South Africa to support the team. I'm not making this up. The rest of the country found out, when South Africa detained known Argentine hooligans trying to enter the country even though they had tickets. Those people were supposed to be in prison and the only way that they could have possibly gotten out of prison, flown out of Argentina, and gotten to South Africa with a ticket was with the government's assistance.

Edited by Napoleon

6 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

France has been incredibly underwhelming so far.  3 goals in 3 games with that talent?

Argentina can absolutely beat them.  

France also has actually won their games. Argentina needed a hail mary against Nigeria to make it out of the group. It won't be pretty, even if Deschamp is a fucking moron. 

4 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Yesterday was chaotic during the Spain/Morocco and Portugal/Iran games.

Today more more dramatic during the Argentina/Nigeria and Croatia/Iceland games.

What the hell is in store for Mexico/Sweden and Germany/South Korea?  I can't wait to find out.

kY4rdWb.png

So if Sweden and Germany both win by one goal and the same score, what do the tiebreakers have in store for us? Does it go to bookings?

(If they both win 1-0 then we have a three-way tie across the board, same at 2-1, etc.)

16 minutes ago, GabrielsHorn said:

These are the scenarios for Mexico's group:

se7k7ztm28611.jpg

For a more detailed one:

Hide contents

jXNFpht.jpg

Based on this link:

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/tie-breakers-for-russia-2018-groups

I don't think that's right. If both Germany and Sweden win 2-1 I believe that Sweden wins the group due to goals scored in the matches between the three teams, then Germany and Mexico will be determined by fair play.

So, the first step of the tiebreaker is a dead heat if Germany and Sweden win by one goal with identical scores.

If the games are both 1-0, Germany and Sweden advance on goals scored in matches between the three teams.

If the games are both 2-1, Sweden advances on goals scored in matches between the three teams then Germany/Mexico goes to fair play standings.

If the games are both 3-2 or higher scoring, then Sweden wins the group and Mexico is second based on goals scored in matches between the three teams.

So really I only question that 2-1/2-1 square that claims Mexico advances.

Edited by Huckleberry

i've been thinking a lot about france's bizarre look so far...part of me wonders if they have been just playing on cruise control so far and not pressing hard yet because of the 2016 euros.  they absolutely blasted through the euros all the way to the final against portugal and they looked absolutely gassed in that game and lost at home to a ronaldo-less portugal team in humiliating fashion.  part of me thinks they are reserving.

on the other hand, in all honesty, they haven't really looked very good as a squad since they destroyed iceland in euro 2016...not even in friendlies.

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Based on this link:

https://www.fifa.com/worldcup/news/tie-breakers-for-russia-2018-groups

I don't think that's right. If both Germany and Sweden win 2-1 I believe that Sweden wins the group due to goals scored in the matches between the three teams, then Germany and Mexico will be determined by fair play.

So, the first step of the tiebreaker is a dead heat if Germany and Sweden win by one goal with identical scores.

If the games are both 1-0, Germany and Sweden advance on goals scored in matches between the three teams.

If the games are both 2-1, Sweden advances on goals scored in matches between the three teams then Germany/Mexico goes to fair play standings.

If the games are both 3-2 or higher scoring, then Sweden wins the group and Mexico is second based on goals scored in matches between the three teams.

So really I only question that 2-1/2-1 square that claims Mexico advances.

I believe the 2-1/2-1 square is assuming that Mexico doesn't out-foul Germany as it'd go to Fair Play, which Germany is significantly affected by the Red Card against Sweden. Right now, Mexico has 2 points and Germany has 4 according to this (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/weltmeisterschaft-2018/fairnesstabelle/pokalwettbewerb/WM18). 

I thought Argentina looked pretty good today given the circumstances and the pressure on the side.  They owned the first 50 minutes.  Once Nigeria was able to completely fall back, they ran out of ideas rather quickly.

25 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

France has been incredibly underwhelming so far.  3 goals in 3 games with that talent?

Argentina can absolutely beat them.  

I realize that Zizzou changed the view of the French national squad, but, like Spain, they have a history of underwhelming.

3 minutes ago, Kringelbert Fishtybuns said:

Is it against the rules to give an opposing defender a drug spiked water bottle?  Show it to me in the Laws of the Game.

Not as creative as Lawrence Taylor's approach -- sending the guys blocking him eight balls and hos by the trio on Saturday night before game day.