2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

6 minutes ago, Ghost of LL said:

I know--you Bernie guys prefer to confine your mean-as-fuckery to social media.

Unironically yes.

If I had to choose between "nice on social media but locks up black people" and "mean on social media but doesn't lock up black people", I'm going to take the latter every time.

100% guilty

• Like 4

I think Bernie will have his “grab ‘em by the pussy” sound bite equivalent come out if he gets the nomination. 

Lots of radical skeletons in his closet and if economy has issues heading into election related to China/virus I don’t think Bernie’s message lands well. 

Debates with him and Trump would sure as shit be fun to watch. Be like a live version of “Grumpy Old Men”

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Unironically yes.

If I had to choose between "nice on social media but locks up black people" and "mean on social media but doesn't lock up black people", I'm going to take the latter every time.

100% guilty

That's a pretty fucking falls choice.

I prefer to focus my meanness on MAGAts.

Oh, and my staff.  I mean, of course.

1 hour ago, Skipper said:

I love how the far left on this board act like Bernie actually represents the Democratic Party considering his platform does not remotely resemble the democratic party historically.  Most of my immediate family are democrats and have voted democrat their entire lives.  They all think Bernie is batshit crazy.   

Bernie's platform looks pretty much like FDR's platform did nearly 100 years ago. The fact that it doesn't resemble the platforms of more recent iterations of the Democratic party is a good thing, considering the fact that the more recent iterations of the Democratic party are part of the reason we're trying to stave off fascism right now.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Guys listen, it's fine. If Amy wins I will wear a gimp suit in the Oval Office so whenever she's mad she can just come punish me and leave the staffers alone.

Chill out.

Username does not check out.

1 minute ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's more a lack of viable alternatives at this point. This field is bad.

I normally don't like the Super Tuesday strategy, but Bloomberg has a real shot. 

The way I described it to someone like there are a large block of voters right now who are like that torpedo at the end of Red October.  They're flailing around looking for a target.  

Yeah, Bloomberg played this perfectly and it played out like we all thought.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Bern is about as likely as Biden to win 'Sconsin.

Wisky fucking scares me because their suburbs are stubbornly not going blue like the rest of the country.

I have zero worries about Minnesota, Michigan or Pennsylvania.

I want the candidate that can make Arizona blue.  Because I don't want to rely on Wisconsin. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Wisky fucking scares me because their suburbs are stubbornly not going blue like the rest of the country.

I want the candidate that can make Arizona blue.  Because I don't want to rely on Wisconsin. 

Exactly with the WI vs. AZ math..  This is why Bern is a bad candidate.  He brings no new states into play and I'm not sold on WI.  The rest of those states like MN are slowly trending GOP, although they won't flip this time.  Really, for Bern to win, he'd have to sweep all of those state and you're pinning your hopes on Cheese.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Exactly with the WI vs. AZ math..  This is why Bern is a bad candidate.  He brings no new states into play and I'm not sold on WI.  The rest of those states like MN are slowly trending GOP, although they won't flip this time.  Really, for Bern to win, he'd have to sweep all of those state and you're pinning your hopes on Cheese.

Who is going to carry that midwest that doesn't depress turnout elsewhere? Freaking Klobuchar somehow?

2 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Who is going to carry that midwest that doesn't depress turnout elsewhere? Freaking Klobuchar somehow?

You laugh at her, but she's winning 58-65% of the vote in Minnesota on the reg  - men, women, young, old, white, black.  She only lost white men without degrees by 6.  She won every CD in the state, including the two R+12 districts.  She won the most votes of the 3 major statewide races (MN Senate, MN Senate special, MN Gov). 

Amy Klobuchar knows how to win in a midwestern state that resembles Wisky, PA, and Michigan. 

1 minute ago, Js1 said:

You laugh at her, but she's winning 58-65% of the vote in Minnesota on the reg  - men, women, young, old, white, black.  She only lost white men without degrees by 6.  She won every CD in the state, including the two R+12 districts.  She won the most votes of the 3 major statewide races (MN Senate, MN Senate special, MN Gov). 

Amy Klobuchar knows how to win in a midwestern state that resembles Wisky, PA, and Michigan. 

Amy also has lower support among black people than Pete and doesn't have the funds to come close to trying to buy support through advertising.

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The only two candidates in the original group of 20 or whatever that had a track record of winning in swingy states/districts were Hickenlooper and Klobs.  She wins the Midwest easily and brings other states in play (AZ, FL, IA maybe NC.)  I think MO and OH are pretty far gone at this point but she'd play better there as well.

Edited by Aqua Buddha

8 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Minnesota doesn't resemble PA or MI at all

Edited by BradInATX

13 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Agreed, I know the stereotype comes up a lot, but each Midwest states is their own unique flavor of suck.

To an extent, yes.  To another extent, they do tend to shift and vote similarly - they all had similar shifts towards the GOP from 2012 to 2016.  Michigan, Minnesota, Wisky and Pennsylvania were 4 of the top 6 closest states in 2016 (NH and Florida were the other 2; Nevada, Maine, NC and Arizona were #7-10)

50 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The only two candidates in the original group of 20 or whatever that had a track record of winning in swingy states/districts were Hickenlooper and Klobs.  She wins the Midwest easily and brings other states in play (AZ, FL, IA maybe NC.)  I think MO and OH are pretty far gone at this point but she'd play better there as well.

Whoever mansplains their way to the nomination should name the Klobs their VP. It basically has to be a woman and Minnesota is the only state trump lost In 2016 that he has any chance at all of winning this time.  It would also help in Wisconsin. 

Edited by JimmyJames

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Arizona is where Trump is holding a rally next week, even though they cancelled their R primary (their D primary is March 17). He has concerns about Arizona, but the Wisconsin primary is not held until April and I bet he is going to pay them a visit or two before then. I don't think he is worried about the Badgers though. While Madison and Milwaukee are bluer, the rest of the state trends R and yes, Waukesha etc in the suburbs has stayed R and Trump is going to milk that as long as he can.

13 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

Whoever mansplains their way to the nomination should name the Klobs their VP. It basically has to be a woman and Minnesota is the only state trump lost In 2016 that he has any chance at all of winning this time.  It would also help in Wisconsin. 

Tammy Baldwin is a better option.

Edited by 406W30th

5 minutes ago, 406W30th said:

Tammy Baldwin is a better option.

No.

Her seat would sit empty until an election could occur 62-77 days after order of a special election. 

Let me discuss all the current Senators I do not want to be VP or cabinet members due to shitty vacancy laws:

• Sinema (AZ R governor appointment)
  • Shaheen or Hassan (NH R governor appointment)
  • Sherrod Brown (OH R governor appointment)
  • Manchin (WV R governor appointment)
  • Warren or Markey (special election - interim appointed by MA R governor)
  • Baldwin (special election in a swing state - stays vacant in the interim)
  • Bernie or Leahy (special election - interim appointed by VT R governor)
  • Wyden or Merkley (special election - stays vacant in the interim) 

Like I think the Democrats win the presidency but the Senate is very precarious.  Interim Republicans or vacancies could screw up our first 100 days, easily. 

• Like 5

Just now, JimmyJames said:

Not disagreeing but why do you say that? Just curious. 

Wisconsin is arguably the most important state for Dems to win and she's won some big elections there, beating former WI governor Tommy Thompson in 2012 and cruising to re-election in 2018 by flipping a 17(!) Obama->Trump counties. She's got a great record on foreign policy (voted against the Iraq War, the Patriot Act) and healthcare (she's sponsored single-payer legislation, including cosponsoring Bernie's M4A bill), which would appeal to the left/progressive wing of the Democratic party.

Klobuchar just tells people they don't deserve anything and they won't get it.

7 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No.

Her seat would sit empty until an election could occur 62-77 days after order of a special election. 

Let me discuss all the current Senators I do not want to be VP or cabinet members due to shitty vacancy laws:

Like I think the Democrats win the presidency but the Senate is very precarious.  Interim Republicans or vacancies could screw up our first 100 days, easily. 

Good post and didn’t realize all that. This dooms Liz as being a VP pick I would think. 

5 minutes ago, HRSchenker said:

Is Tammy Duckworth considered a natural born citizen?

Tammy's father is (was?) a US citizen serving in the military in Thailand.

Therefore, yes.  I mean, Ted Cruz's mom was a US citizen and he was born in Canada.

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

No.

Shit. For some reason I thought it would be Evers' appointment. The WI GOP have made a mockery of democracy and wouldn't hold a special election for years.

12 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

News-you-can-use; Coonass edition

I really want to party with Carville.  I don't agree with him on some issues or maybe some strategies.  But damned if that wouldn't be fun.

2 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Bern is about as likely as Biden to win 'Sconsin.

Tarrance Group has a pretty serious GOP house effect, according to 538.  So take that into consideration.