2020 Democratic Nominee

used2b

4 minutes ago, Xian said:

If you look at the flyer itself, it isn’t all that dramatic. All it does is list out every candidate’s healthcare goal. Under sanders it says it will end their union healthcare and replace with Medicare for all.  Which is true as far as I know. 

Ralston is THE NV politics guy. He says it’s a big deal. I believe him. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Seems worrisome, but there is no way Bernie's huge popularity in the hispanic and latino community suddenly shifts to Pete or Amy with Biden basically conceding Nevada.

I think Pete is capable of doing better with Texas Hispanics than California Hispanics.  I don't doubt for a minute that Sanders is spot on for California Chicanos.  I think Pete's military service and spanish speaking could pull in Latino's in good numbers east of California.  If he could get Beto to campaign for him, they could could do a "white boy's speaking spanish" blitzkrieg of the state.

On to Nevada Caucus - and get ready for way too much Jon Ralston analysis. Nevada was a mess in 2016. Union leadership in Nevada has a lot of influence (which is not a plus for Sanders - as Union Leadership prizes the ability to negotiate for better union healthcare - which M4A wipes out). It is complicated and it is a caucus. Get ready to hear a lot about thrown chairs in 2016. 

SC is up in the air - with the Biden fade. 

Then it is Super Tuesday. 

I think Pete is capable of doing better with Texas Hispanics than California Hispanics.  I don't doubt for a minute that Sanders is spot on for California Chicanos.  I think Pete's military service and spanish speaking could pull in Latino's in good numbers east of California.  If he could get Beto to campaign for him, they could could do a "white boy's speaking spanish" blitzkrieg of the state.

Look, I’m no Texan but I think I can safely say I am the most plugged in person on this board when it comes to Beto supporters and Beto.

So let me tell you, Beto will NOT be doing anything pro-Pete and his supporters - lots of them volunteering for his new org and lots of them Texans - DESPISE Pete.

Beto has tweeted a complimentary message on every single candidate at some point since he dropped out except one. Pete.

If Pete is the nominee, Beto will voice public support but he will be spending his time and efforts on down ballot candidates.

If any of the other candidates are the nominee, I expect to see Beto out campaigning and speaking for them at events and rallies. I do not expect he will do that for Pete.

That “shiny objects” snark just two weeks after the El Paso Walmart shooting didn’t just make Beto mad because Pete was taking a shot at him politically - he was genuinely and personally furious and offended.

I promise you, there will be no “white boys speaking Spanish” tour with Beto and Pete.
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

That “shiny objects” snark just two weeks after the El Paso Walmart shooting didn’t just make Beto mad because Pete was taking a shot at him politically - he was genuinely and personally furious and offended.

a. two weeks?

b. you have a problem with pete.  we get it.  you've had one forever.  it's about more than the one quote (or two, if you count the pocket change quote).  yes, i know that fact.  we all do.  you've brought them both up a number of times.

c. i seriously doubt pete agreeing with chris coons' comments about giving republicans a misdirect talking point made beto furious.  beto has never struck me as being that small or petty.  he's more of a big-picture guy.

d. frozen let it go GIF

15 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Biden and Warren collapsing would vastly improve the feng shui of this primary race.

i agree biden needs to step down.  he is not mentally sharp.  but warren?  really stunned that she is not running better.  if you look at the top three - buttigieg, sanders, and klobuchar, my vote would have to go to klobuchar.  she has the best chance of standing up to trump one on one in an election, and would represent us best in front of the world.  i'm extremely worried about trump winning again so whoever we pick needs to have the strength and integrity to win.  

9 hours ago, tantric superman said:

This is it in a nutshell.  The only reality show I ever watched was Top Chef, and that was dumb as fuck.  When many of my smart friends were spending their time on all of this nonsensical bullshit, I thought we were in trouble.  Remember when LandonDonovan hit that goal against, was it Czech Republic, or some such, and everyone starting sending those reaction shots of people in bars all going wild when he made the goal?  I always thought that reflected a weird focus on "reaction" rather than "action".  That we as a society were becoming enamored with not heroic acts but with the flaccid flotsam and jetsam of moronic criticism. Show me the goal, don't waste my time on watching a bunch of fatasses in a bar jump in the air.

We've romanticized mundane sloth rather than glorified good acts and ethical, brave conduct. 

When are you getting in the race? You have my vote.

9 hours ago, tantric superman said:

This is it in a nutshell.  The only reality show I ever watched was Top Chef, and that was dumb as fuck.  When many of my smart friends were spending their time on all of this nonsensical bullshit, I thought we were in trouble.  Remember when LandonDonovan hit that goal against, was it Czech Republic, or some such, and everyone starting sending those reaction shots of people in bars all going wild when he made the goal?  I always thought that reflected a weird focus on "reaction" rather than "action".  That we as a society were becoming enamored with not heroic acts but with the flaccid flotsam and jetsam of moronic criticism. Show me the goal, don't waste my time on watching a bunch of fatasses in a bar jump in the air.

We've romanticized mundane sloth rather than glorified good acts and ethical, brave conduct. 

Who would have thought a constant stream of celebrating evey persons mere existence would lead to a society of narcissists?

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

If Pete is the nominee, Beto will voice public support but he will be spending his time and efforts on down ballot candidates.

That's almost as good.  

I would expect Beto not to like Pete, because Peter rather quickly ousted him as the favored young white guy.  I think that was mostly Beto's quirks, but I'd expect Beto to be irked with him. 

I still have my Beto for Senate bumper sticker on.  And if Beto didn't want to help Pete if Pete won the nomination that wouldn't surprise me, although I would be disappointed, just as I would with anyone not burying the hatchet and tryning to help get Job #1 done.

Let's remember that the Beto stan hate for Pete was WAAAAAAY before the back and forth about guns. 

Beto people were convinced that the media preferred Pete and that it doomed his campaign. The reality was Pete's strategy was to get on TV as much as possible, and Beto cowered away from doing media after the stupid Vanity Fair cover.  Beto's media strategy sucked, and when his numbers dipped they took their anger out on Pete. 

It's all very stupid. 

3 minutes ago, Calihorn said:

Excuse me, I need to do some research on this lady

It's not real surprising, her son was famously gunned down in a parking lot in Florida over an argument about music. I voted for her because I lived in her district right before the midterms. She was one of the last reps to come out to support impeachment as this is a suburban affluent white district.

3 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

It's not real surprising, her son was famously gunned down in a parking lot in Florida over an argument about music. I voted for her because I lived in her district right before the midterms. She was one of the last reps to come out to support impeachment as this is a suburban affluent white district.

She’s a badass. But I wish she waited. Stop giving Bloomberg momentum Bc he spends lots of his own money 

10 hours ago, tantric superman said:

Remember when LandonDonovan hit that goal against, was it Czech Republic, or some such, and everyone starting sending those reaction shots of people in bars all going wild when he made the goal?  I always thought that reflected a weird focus on "reaction" rather than "action".  That we as a society were becoming enamored with not heroic acts but with the flaccid flotsam and jetsam of moronic criticism. Show me the goal, don't waste my time on watching a bunch of fatasses in a bar jump in the air.

JFC it was Algeria. We got our asses handed to us by Jan Koller and the Czechs in 2006.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

She’s a badass. But I wish she waited. Stop giving Bloomberg momentum Bc he spends lots of his own money 

13 minutes ago, GSU&UT said:

Not that kind of research, the other kind.

Edited by Calihorn
  • Like 1

The bosses vs. The workers
Classic

I’m more on the side of M4A but if you were going to pick a private health plan out there it would be a strong union one. That’s not a oligarch vs the poors issue. I spend over $60,000 on health care for people I’m responsible for. My decision for M4A should be easy, that radical switch while imo ultimately necessary causes significant heart burn for a lot of people - including working class people who happen to perceive themselves in the “haves” class when it comes to health care benefits. And you’re tone deaf to it.
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, troph said:

I’m more on the side of M4A but if you were going to pick a private health plan out there it would be a strong union one. That’s not a oligarch vs the poors issue. I spend over $60,000 on health care for people I’m responsible for. My decision for M4A should be easy, that radical switch while imo ultimately necessary causes significant heart burn for a lot of people - including working class people who happen to perceive themselves in the “haves” class when it comes to health care benefits. And you’re tone deaf to it.

The Bern platform basically tells working class union people with good health plans that we’re going to take away their health plans and pay off someone else’s student loans.  To be oblivious to how that lands is naive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

The Bern platform basically tells working class union people with good health plans that we’re going to take away their health plans and pay off someone else’s student loans.  To be oblivious to how that lands is naive.

That's why I think Bernie would feel the burn of the working class.

4 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Even if you accept that, how many people have health care plans through a union in 2020? Less than 15%?

Just now, Aqua Buddha said:

Enough to matter in key states.

Bernie isn't the one who's struggling with unions right now, even if the messaging becomes their health care plans are getting taken away. He's got an enormous number endorsement s from unions, you can't dispute that.

34 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

Bernie has an MSNBC problem. They aren't even trying to hide it.

https://newrepublic.com/article/156545/bernie-sanders-msnbc-problem

Not to be too 4D chess about it, but since people hate the media, this isn't necessarily a bad thing for Bernie. Obviously it would be better for his chances in the primary if MSNBC treated him like they treat Pete or Amy or Liz, but this is good for his cred.

So, from my very naive online sleuthing, it seems like probably a huge (possibly majority) number of people are going to early vote/caucus I guess by filling out a card at a site with the ranked choices. This could really hurt Amy and Pete even with their bump because they didn't have a ton of staff there already.

Breaking news on CNN that Deval Patrick has suspended his campaign.

That was followed up with the breaking news that Deval Patrick was in fact running for the Dem nomination.

Seriously slightly sad when candidates and the campaigns have to stop but gd its about time. We need to narrow this down to 2-3 choices soon.  And as a few of the less popular candidates are knocked out, even their 1-3% support has to go somewhere. 

• Like 1