2024 Texas Baseball

Hookem2147

2 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Well, the most recent follow for the Texas baseball instagram is Montgomery. 

Would be insane and still seems crazy because we have 4 OF that are really good. They have to be moving Belyeu to the IF if that happens. 

Someone may get squeezed in the IF, but we need to nail down SS first imo.  Hopfully Flores steps up.

5 hours ago, .45s said:

I am not sure what is up with the Dodgers, but according to their full draft/signing tracker they haven't signed a single player.  I just checked and the Astros have signed some players, but Garret is not one of them.  Lucas has agreed to terms with the White Sox, but has not signed the deal yet according to the White Sox's draft/signing tracker.

A lot of teams like to announce their signings in 1 or 2 big batches. 

3 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’ll believe Montgomery isn’t going to Mississippi State when I see it. They have been expecting him to enter for months and are all-in.

My guess is still Campbell.

Yeah, the rumor has been Miss State, LSU, aggy or going back to Stanford. 

But that Texas baseball instagram only follows portal players/commits that have committed from what I've seen. They don't just randomly follow players that they're recruiting. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Well, the most recent follow for the Texas baseball instagram is Montgomery. 

Would be insane and still seems crazy because we have 4 OF that are really good. They have to be moving Belyeu to the IF if that happens. 

We don’t have four OF that are really good. We have some really good outfield prospects, but none of them are on Montgomery’s level.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

We don’t have four OF that are really good. We have some really good outfield prospects, but none of them are on Montgomery’s level.

They aren't and Montgomery would definitely start over a couple.

But Gasparino (the 2nd best HS bat to make it to campus), Belyeu (hitting around .400 in the best summer league) and Brown (First team All Big 12) are all going to want playing time. 

Somebody is moving positions if Montgomery is Texas bound. 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

They aren't and Montgomery would definitely start over a couple.

But Gasparino (the 2nd best HS bat to make it to campus), Belyeu (hitting around .400 in the best summer league) and Brown (First team All Big 12) are all going to want playing time. 

Somebody is moving positions if Montgomery is Texas bound. 

Forgot about Brown. 😵 This is the type of problem that you want.

Montgomery just completed playing for Team USA after a busy year.    May have came on an official/unofficial visit and to visit his girlfriend.

Strickly a rumor about is he wants to also pitch and received limited time at Stanford,  hence the portal.    

Big year upcoming for him before the '24 draft.    Bright young man,  SEC boards stated he scored a 35 on his ACT,  both parents are physicians.    Best to him.

I said this last page but Montgomery pitching and DHing would really be nice if that's what he wants to do. The numbers don't show it but he's also viewed as a high prospect pitcher. 

That's what Stanford was doing in the regional and super with Montgomery. Using him at DH in case they needed him out of the pen. Seems like that's how he may be utilized. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, HenryJames said:

He gave up 20 runs which is why he probably only pitched 14 innings. At some point you have to stop being considered a prospect and actually produce.

Yet, with their season on the line Stanford decided to DH him so he could pitch in the regional. They did the same thing in the Supers (didn't end up pitching). 

It looks like Stanford wanted him to focus on hitting but with their season on the line it's pretty clear what their staff thought of his talent. A guy that hardly pitched all season was thrown into the fire when it mattered most. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Believe Brayden was touching 98 in that Regional. 100% you give him the opportunity to pitch even if its just to make him content and pick Texas. Hit .336 with 17 HRs, and 51 walks (next closest on the team was 38).

Young man will have a field day hitting at the Disch. 

• Hook 'Em 3

That narrative the broadcast crew threw out in the Super of him not playing RF was odd. First, many a two way player played in the field and still pitched. Second, he only pitched 2.1 innings in the regional. A regional in which they had to come out of the losers bracket. One appearance. Dugan had two appearances in that regional, both of 3+ innings as a comparison. Then against us, he never pitched including game 3 when they were squeezing every last pitch out of their most dependable guys.

If he can throw high 90s, tell him what he wants to hear and give him a shot. If we get 15-20 good innings, that’s a bonus. If he’s deadset on being a two way player, he’ll never meet his max ability at either. You have to wonder how much effort needs to go into the pitching side of things to be effective and does that result in a setback of offensive production.

Get him in and let’s find out.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

I’ll believe Montgomery isn’t going to Mississippi State when I see it. They have been expecting him to enter for months and are all-in.

My guess is still Campbell.

Don’t read too much into that Twitter account. The guy behind gets out in front of himself sometimes. 

Texas has made a case to Montgomery. His agent and Pierce know each other well. He’s getting offers above his performance (thus far), so I wouldn’t bet on him picking Texas. 

Gordon is almost certainly gone. Campbell is a long shot to return but there’s more hope there than I figured. He should sign, IMO. 

• Hook 'Em 2

17 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

I’m shocked that longtime baseball men use colorful language when discussing players privately lol.

you can take off the last two words entirely. those guys generally DGAF as long as there aren't women around.

anyone shocked that a guy who has been coaching for 30+ years uses salty language has never been around baseball coaches before.

• Hook 'Em 1

24 minutes ago, Mason Ramsey said:

Montgomery follows the Texas Baseball account and no other school's baseball account aside from Stanford's on Instagram. So who knows, but it can't be a bad sign.

That’s been a pretty good sign in the past that someone is about to commit. But who knows 

5 hours ago, HenryJames said:

In 32.2 career innings pitched he’s given up 32 hits, 32 walks, and 31 earned runs.

But sure tell him what he wants to hear to get his bat on campus.

and… 47 strikeouts. That’s a 12.9 K/9. He has the tools to be a good pitcher. Especially out of the pen. 

If he wants to be a starter then that is a pipe dream.

Bryce Elder gave up 40 hits and 18 walks in 35.2 innings his Freshman year. Guys get better

• Hook 'Em 1

Yet his walks/IP was 3rd best on the team. No wild pitches. He hit a lot of dudes. You gotta like that strategy. Put the fear into the next dude of watching his earhole. It does not appear as though MSUs pitching coach had any magic. Still surprising he wasn’t drafted.

I’m not sure if I should say to hell with him or I hope he has a successful career.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, Had Enough said:

Yet his walks/IP was 3rd best on the team. No wild pitches. He hit a lot of dudes. You gotta like that strategy. Put the fear into the next dude of watching his earhole. It does not appear as though MSUs pitching coach had any magic. Still surprising he wasn’t drafted.

I’m not sure if I should say to hell with him or I hope he has a successful career.

Wish him well.  He has done nothing to deserve our scorn.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1