Surly Horns Stampede To Tuscaloosa

immamac

Yep. If somebody wants to stay in actual downtown Homewood there are two options, Aloft Birmingham Soho Square, and Valley Hotel Homewood. Both are surrounded by bars and restaurants that might as well be bars if you eat at the bar, which we do. There is a stretch of foo-foo shopping between them, including Wallace-Burke where maybe y'all can help a cracker out by buying my art.

https://www.guestreservations.com/aloft-birmingham-soho-square/booking?gclid=Cj0KCQjw5f2lBhCkARIsAHeTvliAfYwWCvxRyWFkd3Jzfbkmkd95j2oqnwEOL8mU7SV5oArKKSFC5WIaAmM9EALw_wcB

https://www.valleyhotelbirmingham.com/

Outside of downtown, but still in Homewood, are various generic hotels where once every 4 or 5 years they'll find somebody dead, which probably won't happen while you're there, but they are in pretty ordinary strip-mall areas.

For going a smidge north and staying inside Birmingham proper in areas with nightlife, Five Points South has several new hotels. (Make sure you remember it's 5 Points SOUTH and not 5 Points WEST. West in Birmingham is where the bullets fly.) Mild caution advised in 5 Points South as well due to fairly tame mental health panhandler stuff, and I did walk up on a dude rooting through my car one night.

Farther north in Actual Downtown Birmingham, if you like restored gems there's the Tutwiler and the Redmont, though I am not current on what there is to do around them at night.

Finally, snuggled up by and under I-20/I-59 is the "Uptown" region which is sort of a manufactured sports and nightlife area with all your favorite airport eateries, and the Sheraton.

Me I'm partial to Homewood. There is a 30 cent bus that goes from Homewood into Birmingham a couple times an hour, stops right by the Aloft and probably the Valley Hotel too. Not sure how late it runs.

In addition to Redmont and Tutwiler, there's Elyton and some others. They seem to be perfectly nice. I would avoid Uptown and I would avoid Five Points except to go to Chez Fonfon. I don't think I'd stay there. Homewood is a good choice, as is the Grand Bohemian in Mountain Brook Village. If you're a golfer you could check out Ross Bridge which would shave some time off of the drive to Tuscaloosa. But unless you can Airbnb or similar in Tuscaloosa, your options there are very limited. 

• Drool 1

11 hours ago, Assman said:

I've asked twice and no one has answered but I refuse to STFU until I get an answer.

Does anyone know when we get our ticket allotments? As in, when will more tickets hit the secondary market? Anyone?

For comparable non-conference games,  LHF typically sends them out mid-August. Haven’t heard anything from them yet about delivery or fulfillment.

• Like 1

Esquire magazine names Waysider a top breakfast spot

One more word about a damn good breakfast. This morning in AL.com, The Waysider was named #1 in Alabama for breakfast. Here's the squib:

1. The Historic Waysider, Tuscaloosa

1512 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa; www.facebook.com/TheWaysider.

You don’t have to be a fan of the Crimson Tide to appreciate breakfast at The Historic Waysider Restaurant, but it doesn’t hurt. Even the exterior of the cozy, 52-seat café on Tuscaloosa’s Greensboro Avenue is painted what owner Linda Smelley affectionately calls “Mal Moore red,” a reference to the late Alabama player, coach and athletics director who ate at the Waysider so often that Smelley sometimes put him to work as a greeter. A T-Town tradition for more than 70 years, the Waysider is also home to one of the heartiest breakfasts in the South, with steak and eggs, country ham and red-eye gravy, bottomless cups of coffee, and, on game-day weekends, elephant-shaped pancakes for the kids.

Order this: Most orders come with the Waysider’s famous made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuits, but they’re so addictive, that you may need to get an extra serving for the table.
  • Drool 1

On 7/25/2023 at 8:48 PM, immamac said:

This tailgate is gonna be dope as fuck. Still need a WSM in Houston or Austin. 

I have an 18, not a 22, and am trying to make it out to Tuscaloosa. It needs a new bottom grate. It works, but will drop some lump charcoal to the bottom. The meat grates are in good shape. I’ve done a brisket and a butt at the same time on it, but a 12# brisket is a tight fit. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Eastwood said:

I have an 18, not a 22, and am trying to make it out to Tuscaloosa. It needs a new bottom grate. It works, but will drop some lump charcoal to the bottom. The meat grates are in good shape. I’ve done a brisket and a butt at the same time on it, but a 12# brisket is a tight fit. 

2 12# ers would work probably. Want us to transport in the RV we have more space. 

I can buy you new grates and stuff. Just need the not heavy as fuck ability to smoke stuff. 

On 7/27/2023 at 8:26 AM, Bama Llama said:

Esquire magazine names Waysider a top breakfast spot

One more word about a damn good breakfast. This morning in AL.com, The Waysider was named #1 in Alabama for breakfast. Here's the squib:

1. The Historic Waysider, Tuscaloosa

1512 Greensboro Ave., Tuscaloosa; www.facebook.com/TheWaysider.

You don’t have to be a fan of the Crimson Tide to appreciate breakfast at The Historic Waysider Restaurant, but it doesn’t hurt. Even the exterior of the cozy, 52-seat café on Tuscaloosa’s Greensboro Avenue is painted what owner Linda Smelley affectionately calls “Mal Moore red,” a reference to the late Alabama player, coach and athletics director who ate at the Waysider so often that Smelley sometimes put him to work as a greeter. A T-Town tradition for more than 70 years, the Waysider is also home to one of the heartiest breakfasts in the South, with steak and eggs, country ham and red-eye gravy, bottomless cups of coffee, and, on game-day weekends, elephant-shaped pancakes for the kids.

Order this: Most orders come with the Waysider’s famous made-from-scratch buttermilk biscuits, but they’re so addictive, that you may need to get an extra serving for the table.

That place is great, but there will be an hours' long wait. City Cafe in Northport is pretty good and may have a shorter line. 

• Drool 1

2 hours ago, immamac said:

2 12# ers would work probably. Want us to transport in the RV we have more space. 

I can buy you new grates and stuff. Just need the not heavy as fuck ability to smoke stuff. 

I’ll DM you later today or tomorrow. 

3 hours ago, squib said:

That place is great, but there will be an hours' long wait. City Cafe in Northport is pretty good and may have a shorter line. 

True dat but the wait will be in proportion to the time of morning.  If you’re up early, it’s worth a try. City Cafe is excellent, and many more tables.

53 minutes ago, Bama Llama said:

True dat but the wait will be in proportion to the time of morning.  If you’re up early, it’s worth a try. City Cafe is excellent, and many more tables.

you will be waiting a very long time at City Cafe ... since it will not be open that day

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/28/2023 at 9:03 AM, Eastwood said:

I have an 18, not a 22, and am trying to make it out to Tuscaloosa. It needs a new bottom grate. It works, but will drop some lump charcoal to the bottom. The meat grates are in good shape. I’ve done a brisket and a butt at the same time on it, but a 12# brisket is a tight fit

TWSS 

Lulz.

12 minutes ago, sith_horn said:

Smoker - $250 (Austin) - Craigslist   - 18" Weber Smokey Mountain

Look I don't want to fucking buy one or I'd buy one. It's not a strange request to borrow this thing especially if someone is going and would like a smoked brisket at the tailgate. I guess I'll just buy one for surly. Wish I could use it on gameday at Texas. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Cheeseweasel said:

It's the view of Vulcan's ass, isn't it?

You know it. Used to be able to see it from three sides of the house, then, as is required in the 2020s, a neighbor built a new house big enough to exert its own gravitational pull and bend light.

• Rage+1 1

On 7/25/2023 at 10:37 PM, Assman said:

I've asked twice and no one has answered but I refuse to STFU until I get an answer.

Does anyone know when we get our ticket allotments? As in, when will more tickets hit the secondary market? Anyone?

There was a massive IT fuck up and the Alabama ticket allocation is delayed another week or two.  According to the athletics office.

1 minute ago, Assman said:
1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:
RV passes on sale!  $250 to get in on Friday night in the main lot.  $35 to get in Sat morning in a smaller lot.  Boondocking, no hook ups.
https://reserve.imclutch.com/ua

Their RV lot is a 27 minute walk to the stadium? Wtf?

Yep. There’s a shuttle apparently 

Maybe this is not the forum or maybe it is, but from a person that's never owned or driven an RV and is thinking about renting one and parking in this lot, what do I need to make sure it has? I'm guessing I need a full water tank to be able to use the shower and shitter and a generator for power?

2 hours ago, Assman said:

Maybe this is not the forum or maybe it is, but from a person that's never owned or driven an RV and is thinking about renting one and parking in this lot, what do I need to make sure it has? I'm guessing I need a full water tank to be able to use the shower and shitter and a generator for power?

Forget about using the shower, even though it’ll have one of it has a shutter…

6 hours ago, Assman said:

I'm in your boat, but the idea for me is to use it as a hotel room without major appliances.  There shall be no shitting in the toilet and the bare minimum of peeing.  All shall be done outside or in commercial buildings.  The less gray water, the better.

1 hour ago, Biff Tannen said:

I'm in your boat, but the idea for me is to use it as a hotel room without major appliances.  There shall be no shitting in the toilet and the bare minimum of peeing.  All shall be done outside or in commercial buildings.  The less gray water, the better.

You could also just sleep in your car. Sounds about equally enjoyable.

On another note, how many Texas fans do we think are gonna get inside Bryant-Denny for the game?

3 minutes ago, TornACL said:

You could also just sleep in your car. Sounds about equally enjoyable.

On another note, how many Texas fans do we think are gonna get inside Bryant-Denny for the game?

We have a group ticket buy available. We are probably over 15 but I think I can get up to 50

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

I’m getting the itch to go. What are the travel options between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa? I saw Amtrak which might be the best option I guess at this point 

Amtrak is fine going to the game IF everything upstream is running on time. Also no option to get back until Sunday…

• Drool 1

• Pancho unpinned this topic