Big 12 basketball 2023-2024 season - One Final Rodeo

Pancho

With these uneven B12 schedules, it wouldn't surprise me to see a B12 team that ends 7-11 in conference still get into the NCAA tournament.

Texas likely needs at least 4 more conference wins to get an invite to "The Dance".  

10 minutes ago, slorch said:

It's one thing to lose those games, but Tang repeatedly demonstrates the bad kind of crazy.

Yep. Accusing teams of cheating via sending real time signals to the coaching staff opposite the scorer’s table?

31 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

This has already happened multiple times. So yeah, it's very realistic. 

Interesting...  just don't remember that many teams with a record of 7-11 in conference advancing without an automatic bid.      

Anyone have data on how many teams* have gone 7-11 or worse in their conference and still made the NCAA tournament? 

*assuming they did not earn the automatic bid by winning their conference tournament

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Interesting...  just don't remember that many teams with a record of 7-11 in conference advancing without an automatic bid.      

Anyone have data on how many teams* have gone 7-11 or worse in their conference and still made the NCAA tournament? 

*assuming they did not earn the automatic bid by winning their conference tournament

It's happened several times in the Big 12. 3 or 4 times from what I remember. 

The one that comes to mind is the '18-19 OU team. Crazy thing is they lost in the 1st round of the Big 12 tournament too and then won a NCAA tournament game. So they finished 7-12 in the Big 12 and then won a NCAA tournament game. 

• Like 1

In the context of Texas, I don't think 7-11 will get Texas in unless they also win a couple Big 12 tournament games. Texas didn't do much of anything in non-conference. 

But I think 8-10 definitely gives Texas a 60 to 70% chance of making it. Add a Big 12 tournament win and they will almost certainly make the NCAA tournament. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Texas needs 8-10 or 9-9. 7-11 won’t do it bc we don’t have a signature non-conf win. We need to hold court at home and that’s 9 right there. Or else we have to pick off a road game. 

4 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas needs 8-10 or 9-9. 7-11 won’t do it bc we don’t have a signature non-conf win. We need to hold court at home and that’s 9 right there. Or else we have to pick off a road game. 

Probably right unless Texas wins a couple in the Big 12 tournament. That will be 2 more quality wins. 

7-11 and with 2 Big 12 tournament wins gets Texas in is my guess. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed

Just now, Js1 said:

Hope so. A top 10 NET win would help a lot to solidify a bid

I just think our guys are completely wiped out after last night and obviously they’re living out of a hotel the next few days.

Combine that with a game against a talented (if underachieving) squad that needs a big win in a place we’ve rarely played well, and I’m just ready to get back to Hilton ASAP.

29 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I don't think the committee really cares if a win is in conference or non-con. A Q1 win is a Q1 win. A Q1 road win is a Q1 road win regardless of when the game was played. It's why I never really cared about our non-con schedule because we would get 13 or 14 Q1 opportunities in conference play whereas a team in the ACC or Big Ten or PAC-12 may only get half that.

You will probably be able to count the teams with 3 or more Q1 road wins on one of two hands on selection Sunday. And we have a chance to increase that number. 

Edited by Hookem2147

Just now, Hookem2147 said:

Iowa State in 2021-2022 went 7-11 in conference play, lost by 30 in the opening round of the Big 12 tournament and didn't even have to play in the play-in game.

We went to the Sweet 16 too.

Undefeated non-con full of Quad 1 games was our saving grace.

9 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

We went to the Sweet 16 too.

Undefeated non-con full of Quad 1 games was our saving grace.

Yep. I think a 7-11 Texas would not get the same benefit of the doubt bc of a weak non-conf schedule. 

I think 8-10 Texas is in based on the Big 12’s strength. 9-9 is a lock

10 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

It happened last year. 7-11 West Virginia went to the tournament as a #9 seed.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

I have not been able to watch much of the team this year but Saturday seemed exceptionally poorly refereed. There were at least two times where the ball clearly went off the TCU player but they got possession, the bizarre goaltending on the Jameer Nelson and 1, etc.

Officiating has been garbage all season long. 

9 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Officiating has been garbage all season long. 

Determining what a charge vs blocking foul is under the new rules is a joke.  

I'm to the point where players should get 6 personal fouls per game and a technical foul should not count as a personal foul.   

Edited by LTtxfan
typo
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, RollingPresidential said:

Basketball officiating is really hard and probably the most subjective of the three major sports, so if the Big 12 were going to screw us on the way out, I'd figure that'd be where it would show up. 

I don’t think it’s malicious like Big 12 football officiating. I think the games moves so fast that the officials can’t keep up. There’s a lot of subjective calls that are basically refs anticipating a foul instead of there being one 

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I just think our guys are completely wiped out after last night and obviously they’re living out of a hotel the next few days.

Combine that with a game against a talented (if underachieving) squad that needs a big win in a place we’ve rarely played well, and I’m just ready to get back to Hilton ASAP.

Does not compute. /s

21 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

Iowa State in 2021-2022 went 7-11 in conference play, lost by 30 in the opening round of the Big 12 tournament and didn't even have to play in the play-in game. Then went to the Sweet 16.

The thing about the Big 12 is it now gets the same respect as the SEC in football. It's more justified too. 

4 hours ago, RollingPresidential said:

Basketball officiating is really hard and probably the most subjective of the three major sports, so if the Big 12 were going to screw us on the way out, I'd figure that'd be where it would show up. 

Most of the refs we have in the Big 12 will also be reffing us in the SEC next year. The conference has nothing to do with it. 

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

I don’t think it’s malicious like Big 12 football officiating. I think the games moves so fast that the officials can’t keep up. There’s a lot of subjective calls that are basically refs anticipating a foul instead of there being one 

This and the fact that refs are getting older (and fatter) and can’t keep up with younger, faster players. This also causes them to not be able to get into a position to get calls correct. The problem is those older refs will keep getting the games because politics. 

4 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

They do need to go to 6 fouls per player. That's a change I've been wanting to see for a while. They experimented with it in the NIT one year but I don't think it got any traction. 

Men’s college basketball is very, very behind because they are traditionalist. Every other level of basketball has put in progressive rules and changes to keep up with the times and to be a bit more uniform across the leagues except for men’s college. They thought they were going to get the rule change to go to 4 quarters for mens college several years ago, and that didn’t pass. 

• Hook 'Em 3

42 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I dont know what the pros or cons would be with going to 4 quarters vs 2 halves. For tradition's sake I say keep it as is. Seems like a change just for change's sake. 

The two big differences between the men's and women's college game right now is:

-2-shot bonus starting at the 5th foul in each quarter. No one and one.

-Ball advances into the frontcourt on timeouts late in games

I worry if they went to 4 quarters in the men's game, some games would just turn into free-throw shooting contests with how inconsistent the officiating is and the insistence of some coaches to just have their guys bulldoze their way into the paint every possession looking for fouls.

Edited by Hookem2147

47 minutes ago, Catdaddyhorn said:

I dont know what the pros or cons would be with going to 4 quarters vs 2 halves. For tradition's sake I say keep it as is. Seems like a change just for change's sake. 

Well the big one is aligning it with every level of ball. NCAA MBB wants to be a unicorn when the NBA, FIBA, and all levels below college are quarters 

It will also reduce tv timeouts, so that’s the big one. There’s one media TO at the under 5 each quarter, versus 4 each half 

Edited by Js1