Ways in Which You are Countercultural

HonkeyVape

On 7/6/2023 at 10:07 AM, Armybrat said:

Never! 
That was extremely uncool starting in the late 1950s.

Nowadays it is impossible because of FUPA conditions.

Jim Rockford is the coolest motherfucker ever, and he had the slacks almost up to his chest.

As for me, I always carry cash.  From the bank teller, not the ATM .  Plenty of 10's and 5's for tips. I use the apps (a tenant pays her rent with venmo) but I'm greasing the palm of a valet or bellman with real fucking money, and "money be green" (/D'Angelo Barksdale). 

No tats.  

No piercings. 

Twitter for sports and news,  but no facebook, instagram etc.   And, in my chosen line of work, facebook is helpful, so I'm cutting my own nose off a bit.

I get a regular haircut.  

I pay for sirius, and for cable tv.  Sirius is a better deal by a mile.

I wore a suit every day for years.  These days, I own two.  Always classic tailoring, not whatever bullshit is in style.  I rarely wear them,  but they are clean and ready-to-go. And I own a tux, but it's been a few years since I've had an occasion to wear it. And none of this brown shoes with a blue suit shit.  

I go to costco regularly, but I don't have an account.  The GF has the cash-back deal, and has her shop-happy son on her membership.  It works fine.  I use her card if I need to fill up the truck...they aren't checking ID at the pump just yet.  Aside from that, we go together. 

I pay for apple music.  Otherwise, no streaming. 

I don’t have a suit, because a sport coat works fine the one time a year I need one. However, that’s not counter cultural in today’s world. I wear shorts to work every day this time of year in an industry that was wearing suits not very long ago.

I don’t order anything to be brought to me, I can pick up my own food, pick out my own clothes, walk in the grocery store, etc.

I have virtually no social media. I come here, go to ESPN, and check out a few other sites and that’s it. No Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, none of it.

When did not having tats and piercings and having your hair cut become counter cultural?

I reread and edit all of my posts, texts, emails, etc. Proper grammar still matters although I still miss plenty.

I have 2 pair of shoes, one for shorts and one for pants. When a pair wears out, I buy a new pair.

I have 2 handguns and 2 shotguns set up for different things and enough ammo to get me through until I feel like buying more. If I get low on ammo, I go buy more. I’m not cosplaying Call of Duty in my backyard/dreams.

I hate politics and everything that surrounds the political arena. I don’t know that I can ever remember turning on Fox News in my life although I’m sure I have at some point.

I feel old after reading that.

Edited by Brew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nineliveslost said:

How in the hell is that even possible?

Are you the guy in deep Alaska?

No sir, Northwest side of Oklahoma City. I just can’t can’t do it. Don’t get me wrong we watch a couple tv shows, but I just can’t movie. 

Trust me I know it’s odd. I will see a movie that is going to come out and I get all fired up to go watch it but just can’t pull the trigger. I end up going fishing or going in my shop and tinkering with something. I do feel like an idiot when my friends talk about movies I can’t contribute shit. But it is what it is. 

I would get it if you don’t watch TV at all, but if you watch TV shows then what is the difference? I rarely if ever watch TV, but I’m probably more inclined to watch a movie than something else on TV if I’m going to site down with my wife and do it. In and out in less than 2 hours and I have zero commitment, don’t need to k ow the backstory, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

Trust me I know it’s odd. I will see a movie that is going to come out and I get all fired up to go watch it but just can’t pull the trigger. I end up going fishing or going in my shop and tinkering with something. I do feel like an idiot when my friends talk about movies I can’t contribute shit. But it is what it is. 

Animation Domination High Def GIF by gifnews

• Like 1

I don’t have a suit, because a sport coat works fine the one time a year I need one. However, that’s not counter cultural in today’s world. I wear shorts to work every day this time of year in an industry that was wearing suits not very long ago.
I don’t order anything to be brought to me, I can pick up my own food, pick out my own clothes, walk in the grocery store, etc.
I have virtually no social media. I come here, go to ESPN, and check out a few other sites and that’s it. No Twitter, Reddit, Facebook, Instagram, none of it.
When did not having tats and piercings and having your hair cut become counter cultural?
I reread and edit all of my posts, texts, emails, etc. Proper grammar still matters although I still miss plenty.
I have 2 pair of shoes, one for shorts and one for pants. When a pair wears out, I buy a new pair.
I have 2 handguns and 2 shotguns set up for different things and enough ammo to get me through until I feel like buying more. If I get low on ammo, I go buy more. I’m not cosplaying Call of Duty in my backyard/dreams.
I hate politics and everything that surrounds the political arena. I don’t know that I can ever remember turning on Fox News in my life although I’m sure I have at some point.
I feel old after reading that.

We are similar in a few ways. Political BS I stopped watching years ago. Done with Fox and cnn. Few guns, yep. I’m actually on a lot of those social media platforms but only for a business reply standpoint.

As for your first paragraph mentioning dress code, wow how it has changed in the last 20 years. I always wore a coat seeing customers. Today I could roll up in a millet lite T and it would likely be acceptable.

1 hour ago, markstanco said:

We are similar in a few ways. Political BS I stopped watching years ago. Done with Fox and cnn. Few guns, yep. I’m actually on a lot of those social media platforms but only for a business reply standpoint.

As for your first paragraph mentioning dress code, wow how it has changed in the last 20 years. I always wore a coat seeing customers. Today I could roll up in a millet lite T and it would likely be acceptable.

I’ve put little value in dressing up since I started with the firm but I think I still wear nice clothes. I get some comments here and there from the old timers but very few any more. I’ve made a living on what I can do for my clients and the firm, not being the guy that shows up dressed up. I met with a couple of clients today worth well into the nine figures, I had on shorts and a nice shirt. 

48 minutes ago, The Ace of Aces said:

I don’t own any jeans. I have no idea why they’re popular. I dislike them. 

Nice jeans and a button down half the half the year for me before switching to shorts for the summer. I can’t remember the last time I put on a pair of slacks/khakis.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, nnm said:

Not sure about that. There’s a lot of traffic in the divorce thread, but also guys like @Armybrat that have been married since the late 60s. I have 32 years myself. 

24 years, kind of weird to think that at 44 years old we’re working on what we’re going to do for our 25th. No friends that have divorced either.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brew said:

24 years, kind of weird to think that at 44 years old we’re working on what we’re going to do for our 25th. No friends that have divorced either.

I'm guessing that there are miserable fucks in your friend group pretending that everything is great. You'll be shocked when you learn of the many affairs.

4 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

I'm guessing that there are miserable fucks in your friend group pretending that everything is great. You'll be shocked when you learn of the many affairs.

I can say pretty confidently in the group of couples we consider our friends, screwing around isn’t happening. I’m not saying there may not be a divorce in there at some point though, just at the moment there are no divorces within that group of people. Most of us have been together since high school / college at this point. Not everyone is automatically miserable or looking for side action because they are married. Even if I get outside of close friends to people we do things with occasionally, there still aren’t any divorces within that group that I can think of. The screwing around likelihood does go up though knowing some of them.

counter cultural? sheeeit, don't even get me started.  though one my my colleagues did say it was the "in thing to do" when I came out to him. needless to say, he took a walk.

on a lighter note, I will not dress up for work meetings ever again.  my style is best described as tennis inspired casual. not tennis gear per se, but athletic skirts/skorts and t-shirts and tank tops.  athletic sweatshirts if it's cooler.  maybe tennis shoes, maybe birks. but if birks I at least polish my toenails. can't be looking like I don't care for myself. clients either hire me for my work or they can find someone else.

56 minutes ago, troph said:

counter cultural? sheeeit, don't even get me started.  though one my my colleagues did say it was the "in thing to do" when I came out to him. needless to say, he took a walk.

on a lighter note, I will not dress up for work meetings ever again.  my style is best described as tennis inspired casual. not tennis gear per se, but athletic skirts/skorts and t-shirts and tank tops.  athletic sweatshirts if it's cooler.  maybe tennis shoes, maybe birks. but if birks I at least polish my toenails. can't be looking like I don't care for myself. clients either hire me for my work or they can find someone else.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2