Ways in Which You are Countercultural

HonkeyVape

1 hour ago, GoPokes83 said:

You still get robocalls on a landline? Actually saw an ad online the other day for a service where you get an old looking rotary phone and a landline’s included. It’s somehow hip.

Sold our last rotary dial phone for $1 at our yard sale in 1995. 
Don’t get any robocalls on this one….

5BE433F4-1548-4F9F-8E43-8C9C3EF3E0E6.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No suits?  What about weddings?  I own several suits and a tux.  I wear the tux two to four times a year.  

I don’t have any tattoos and I don’t understand the concept, and I think it’s gross.  That said, if it makes you happy it’s no skin of off my nose.  

I pay for my music and I cut the cord four or five years ago. 

I hate most modern music.  It’s like fingernails on a chalk board to me.  

17 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

You should change the name of this thread to "Get off my lawn!"

I had my front lawn xeriscaped with gravel for 7 years until the HOA made me remove half of it and re-sod with grass last year.

Now the entry boulevard median to the neighborhood has just been xeriscaped with gravel.

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

I also haven’t owned a suit for 15 years or so, just can’t see a scenario where I’d need another one. I do still have my Marine Blues and my Army ASU hanging way in the back of the closet for some reason. Don’t know why, my kid couldn’t care less about them and I don’t blame her, and at this point I could probably sew the two together and it might come close to fitting.
I find not owning a suit to be insane, and I wear shorts and a t shirt most days to work. Weddings, Funerals, and wearing a suit occasionally on Date night gets her panties moist.

Yall showing up to funerals in crocs and cargo shorts?
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Born to Run said:

I should post this in the trivial things that make me surly thread but, "People go to a funeral dressed like they are headed to a football game are scum and have no respect for humanity".

• Like 2

You “no tattoos” people need to find something else to feel superior about. Generous estimates say only about 35% of the US adult population has tattoos.

Not superior, just not for me. I’m not anti tattoo, just anti shitty tattoo. I saw a pretty girl in Wal Mart the other day with no crappily drawn tattoo and I thought she was standing out from the crowd because of it. Then she reached up for a box of something and there it was!
  • Like 1

I find not owning a suit to be insane, and I wear shorts and a t shirt most days to work. Weddings, Funerals, and wearing a suit occasionally on Date night gets her panties moist.

Depends on the funeral. All the classier type elders in my family have passed except my in laws, and they’re as low key as they come. MIL is donating her body to science, and FIL is going to be cremated, so there will probably be a celebration of life dealio at their church and a suit wouldn’t be required or expected. Anyone else I know it’ll be business casual looking stuff. If my wife or kid dies I’d probably get an off the rack suit though, then donate it ASAP afterwards.

I don't have Venmo/Zelle or any other payment method. I do have a Paypal account I setup like 20 years ago.

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

1 hour ago, Born to Run said:

I turn 50 this year, never owned a suit. I just went to a funeral, wore khakis and a plain polo shirt, no logos. Outside of the freemason brethren of the deceased, I was overdressed compared to the rest of the attendees. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CycleTex87 said:

Shark Tank Writing GIF

He’s absolutely correct. Birkenstocks are the bomb. I’d wear them every single day if I could. They make shoes with the same wide toe box and footbed also—in addition to the sandals, I now have 4 pair. 
Especially if you have hard surface floors at home, having a pair of indoor birks will massively help PF. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, Helobious said:

You “no tattoos” people need to find something else to feel superior about. Generous estimates say only about 35% of the US adult population has tattoos.

When I was a kid the only people that had tattoos were people that led a hard life; bikers, inmates, military men and my mom.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 minutes ago, Davis Lane said:

When I was a kid the only people that had tattoos were people that led a hard life; bikers, inmates, military men and my mom.

I remember when a guy with a ponytail was often looked at as a bane on society. Now the manbun dudes took his place. 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 hours ago, Helobious said:

You are right. No tattoos and my kids don't have any tattoos is the new flex.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

He’s absolutely correct. Birkenstocks are the bomb. I’d wear them every single day if I could. They make shoes with the same wide toe box and footbed also—in addition to the sandals, I now have 4 pair. 
Especially if you have hard surface floors at home, having a pair of indoor birks will massively help PF. 

I limped around for years. My knee and heel pain was so bad, I could hardly walk. Started wearing soft bed Birks and within 2 months, the pain went away completely.
  • Like 1

I deleted my PayPal account after 10 years of never using it. That was several years ago, and no ragrets (not regerts, get it right, Surly).

I have a minimum of $12,000 in cash, $100,000 in gold coins, 10,000 rounds of ammo, 12 months of survival food for 6, 3 cords firewood, 2,500 gallon cistern of water in case my two wells fail me, two 500 gallon propane tanks, 25,000 watt generator, and solar panels/wind turbine.

I can’t stand paranoid doomsdayers.

P.S.  Can’t forget the bumper sticker on my truck.

27733-DE6-2391-412-C-8-C71-2313-CF8-EADA

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

No tats isn't a flex for me.  It's just that the majority of my peer-aged social group has them and I don't.  Shit, I have 3 buddies from college who are tattoo artists and making a good living at it.  I'm an older millenial (born in '85) and having a tattoo is simply more common than not amongst my peers.

I'm not even opposed to them on any level, I've just never had the desire.

I've been a Metalhead since the age of 6.  Never gave a fuck if it was trendy or not.  Just prefer it. 

Wore my hair long until the until the age of 47 (no, I wasn't going bald).  Finally just got tired of taking care of it.  I'm not a goth or anything, but most of my wardrobe is black.  Wear concert shirts and either black pants or black shorts every day, with mostly black dress attire for nicer occasions.  Just prefer it.  I have regular stuff for summer vacations or patio parties, but that's about it.  

I got my first tattoo at 46.  Takes up my entire left hand.  Got it because I wanted it.  Definitely can't hide it.  Got another that takes up most my left forearm, and that's it.  

I'm currently 52.  Don't really care what people think of my life, my hobbies, my outlook.  I feel like I'm a very consistent person.  I have good friends and a good life.  Don't plan on changing anything anytime soon.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/6/2023 at 3:31 PM, nnm said:

On 7/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, CooterBrown said:

I limped around for years. My knee and heel pain was so bad, I could hardly walk. Started wearing soft bed Birks and within 2 months, the pain went away completely.

• The owner of Birkenstock, the sandal maker, is reportedly considering an I.P.O. that it hopes will net a valuation of over $6 billion. (Bloomberg)
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1