Ways in Which You are Countercultural

HonkeyVape

I don't mean this thread to be for true hippies, but reading the Costco thread and hearing people talk about it, it seems a big deal and it gave me an idea for a fun thread.

Apparently 1/4 of America has a CostCo membership (~66mm people). Probably 80% of this board has one. 99% of my demographic has one. I do not. I am countercultural in that respect.

Also, I have never and refuse to ever set up a Spotify account. Not out of spite or any real reason, I just don't want to. People will send me links from time to time and I can't do anything with them. I'm literally the only person I know who can say they don't have a Spotify account in my social/family group-- at some point it became a point of pride.

50 minutes ago, HonkeyVape said:

I don't mean this thread to be for true hippies, but reading the Costco thread and hearing people talk about it, it seems a big deal and it gave me an idea for a fun thread.

Apparently 1/4 of America has a CostCo membership (~66mm people). Probably 80% of this board has one. 99% of my demographic has one. I do not. I am countercultural in that respect.

Also, I have never and refuse to ever set up a Spotify account. Not out of spite or any real reason, I just don't want to. People will send me links from time to time and I can't do anything with them. I'm literally the only person I know who can say they don't have a Spotify account in my social/family group-- at some point it became a point of pride.

Are you Mike Bisceglia???

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Parliament said:

I don't pay for music or TV.  I get it 100% free from YouTube, bunny ears or FM.

I have zero social media presence.  Have Twitter and FB just so I can open forwarded links.

You post here....you have a social media presence.  Thoughts, pics, gifs, memes, bad ideas, stories....this place has it all.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Brothahorn said:

I still download movies, books, and music(unless it's something for the kids). I just can't bring myself to pay for that stuff anymore.

Because ill never run for office, I will also openly admit to stealing most of my media consumption, even despite being (mostly) honest and fair on everything else. I even read paywalled websites through online archivers. 

But I do have a legit apple music subscription tho. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, 52-80 said:

Because ill never run for office, I will also openly admit to stealing most of my media consumption, even despite being (mostly) honest and fair on everything else. I even read paywalled websites through online archivers. 

But I do have a legit apple music subscription tho. 

I look forward to following your Austin city council campaign in ten years.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I don't do doordash/ grubhub/ or any of the various iterations. For pizza, I prefer to do carryout if we're using such a place.

I don't buy music.

I use my cellphone until it doesn't work any more- never have understood the need to constantly replace them when they still work. Gotta have the new iphone every time?  Those people are suckers.

I could qualify for a mortgage 3X my current one, if not more.  But why??? Our house fulfills what we need.

I replace my clothes when they wear out, I don't just keep buying shit because it's out there.

I will spend money on beer, bourbon and the wife's wine- because it is enjoyable and worth it to me.  Same goes for hotels/ accommodations on trips- because I just don't want to deal with the fuckery/ bullshit with some properties.

Have a Sam's membership because I like buying dry goods/ non-perishables in bulk. We also have 2 Sams Club stores here in town, but no Costco.  I have enjoyed shopping at Costco when visiting other areas. 

I guess my results are mixed.  I still have my consumerism going on, but it's very selective.  I most definitely still have my indulgences too.

I do not own a suit. 
We have a house landline telephone. 
We have cable tv and have never streamed any programming. 

You still get robocalls on a landline? Actually saw an ad online the other day for a service where you get an old looking rotary phone and a landline’s included. It’s somehow hip.

I also haven’t owned a suit for 15 years or so, just can’t see a scenario where I’d need another one. I do still have my Marine Blues and my Army ASU hanging way in the back of the closet for some reason. Don’t know why, my kid couldn’t care less about them and I don’t blame her, and at this point I could probably sew the two together and it might come close to fitting.

• Haha 2