2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!

Js1

13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Not everyone may be aware Ella is playing injured. Something with her foot or ankle. She has been booted up for a while now and is not jump setting. She still obviously jumps to block and joust but she doesn’t jump set anymore to avoid aggravating it. 

USAMNT setter Micah Christenson talked about how going back to setting flat footed was like a “back to basics” type of thing that made him a better setter. So it’s not the worst thing in the world and it hasn’t affected us negatively. 

I haven't seen it explicitly mentioned, so I just assumed she was working through something minor.  I believe she had foot/ankle injuries in HS.  Hopefully this is not a continuation of that as she has a lot of potential... personally I think she has some potential in beach with her measurables, hands, and blocking, but that's a different topic.

Main thing that would have concerned me about her inability to jump set is that, now, when she does jump, it's an indication that a dump is probably coming.  I guess it's quick and rare enough that defenses haven't been able to or felt the need to spy that correlation.  They say the other advantage of jump setting is you can contact the ball higher and, therefore, reduce the flight time of the ball - especially, by percentage, in the middle of the court.  Her height mitigates a good deal of whatever is missed there.  And personally, I think that part of jump setting is overblown.  To me, the threat of an attack is 10x more impactful than any time savings you might get.

10 hours ago, Bodhi said:

I am also no expert.  What I saw yesterday however was the avg. height of teams appeared to be a key factor.  Nebraska and Wisconsin had much taller athletes than Arkansas and Oregon.  Arkansas struggled all day getting over Nebraska's block and Wisconsin could consistently get points from Franklin (6'4) and Smrek (6'9).  To my untrained eye, Oregon had the best offense I saw yesterday.  They just had no way to defend Wisconsin at the net.

image.gif.f5add6b2a353852f40511823e06c2d9b.gif

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

I love that if you're seated next to them, you'd think, "Oh, very nice to be seated with such pleasant fellow-passengers."  Then a few hours later, they're smashing killshots at other people's faces yelling, "And stay the hell down, fuckface!"  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

I know our season isn't over (and hopefully is not until Sunday), but we can start some portal talk

• Baylor looks to be getting turbofucked - Setter Averi Carlson (2022 Big 12 FOY, 2022 TX and National Gatorade POY) is in the portal. Some talk Texas may be looking at her, because you always need a backup setter. OPP Riley Simpson is in the portal too and rumor that DS Alexis Decosta is also gone (#5 recruit in her class)
  • Kentucky OH Reagan Rutherford is also in the portal - very juicy option for Texas.  She's on the smaller side (6 feet) but she hit over .300 the last 2 seasons. She is from Missouri City
  • Cursty is also following Kentucky MB Jordyn Williams - 6'2 RS SO MB, #8 in her class.  She only played in 12 matches this year, hit .331 and 39 blocks in 39 sets. 

If I'm Elliot, my portal needs are:

• OPP/OH if Devin leaves.  The biggest offseason coup Elliot could make is keeping her. I'm not optimistic - she looks miserable on the sideline during matches. 
  • Backup setter
  • Potentially a fourth MB for depth

MB - We have Singletary, who has played this year, Bunton, who took a redshirt and Ames coming in at MB.  Texas prefers to redshirt their MBs, but we can't go into the season with only 2 active MBs if Ames is going to RS.  Ames could probably start day 1 though. She's good.
L/DS - Halter is a lock at libero.  Akana at DS. We bring in two L/DS recruits - Reese Emerick and Brennan Ramirez.   Emerick is really good, so she could start day 1 as a DS with Barnes departing.
OH - Skinner is a lock.  Then you have Byrd, Wenaas and Helmers. I mean, the hope is that Byrd supplants Wenaas.  She was #22 in her class, 2-time Gatorade Florida POY and is big at 6'4.  Jenna is Jenna - will another offseason in the Texas system help her? Idk.  I feel for her, but man, she is hard to watch sometimes. 
OPP - Molly is gone, to play beach somewhere else, so Devin would probably be your day 1 starter if she stays.  If she goes, Texas is going to have to go into the portal.  We also have Tomkinson here too.
S - Swindle, duh.  But then it's Crownover and no one.  Texas may be looking for a backup here. 

There is a projected lineup where we could go with 6'2 Skinner, 6'4 Devin, 6'4 Byrd, 6'4 Singletary, 6'4 Ames, 6'3 Swindle. Obviously Madi will play all 6 rotations, but you probably need someone else to as well (Byrd or Devin). Or we go out and get a 6 rotation OH. Jenna can play all the way around, but do we want to see her on the court for 3 more rotations? 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

Jenna is Jenna - will another offseason in the Texas system help her? Idk.  I feel for her, but man, she is hard to watch sometimes. 

This is my biggest question with her.  She has all the physical tools to be a true baller - tall, solid frame, big arm, and she's not afraid to stick her nose in it and fight at the net.  But she has no aim or touch whatsoever - what soccer players call "class".  It's like she only has 1 swing and hits with her eyes closed.  Is she what she's going to be, or can that clay be molded?  At this level she's a liability, routinely hitting under .200 and I don't watch enough to truly understand the rotations, but it sure seems like when Texas is getting run on, she's front left and can't terminate to rotate out.

Another thing that annoys me that I can't understand is when they're in transition and she's getting set 3x during a rally - seems like they lose every one of those points.  I know it's easier to say from the cheap seats than do in the heat of the moment, but a big 3 set to the pin has got to be the easiest to defend, especially when the hitter is so 1 dimensional.  Set literally anyone else in transition please.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Mittens said:

but it sure seems like when Texas is getting run on, she's front left and can't terminate to rotate out.

You’re right. 

The OH will almost always be set junk balls to take out the trash when it’s not a perfect pass. Swindle isn’t yet comfortable or is being taught not to set the right or middle on those bad passes - Molly might be even worse trying to hit those. Or if Ella takes first contact, it’s always going to be set by the secondary setter to Jenna in that rotation

That rotation makes my eye twitch and Stanford kept bailing us out with serving errors. They were trying to completely take us out of system so the ball had to go to Jenna but they couldn’t keep their serve in  

Texas has usually had terminal pins who could take out the trash with ease. That’s currently not Jenna. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, Js1 said:

I know our season isn't over (and hopefully is not until Sunday), but we can start some portal talk

• Baylor looks to be getting turbofucked - Setter Averi Carlson (2022 Big 12 FOY, 2022 TX and National Gatorade POY) is in the portal. Some talk Texas may be looking at her, because you always need a backup setter. OPP Riley Simpson is in the portal too and rumor that DS Alexis Decosta is also gone (#5 recruit in her class)
  • Kentucky OH Reagan Rutherford is also in the portal - very juicy option for Texas.  She's on the smaller side (6 feet) but she hit over .300 the last 2 seasons. She is from Missouri City
  • Cursty is also following Kentucky MB Jordyn Williams - 6'2 RS SO MB, #8 in her class.  She only played in 12 matches this year, hit .331 and 39 blocks in 39 sets. 

If I'm Elliot, my portal needs are:

• OPP/OH if Devin leaves.  The biggest offseason coup Elliot could make is keeping her. I'm not optimistic - she looks miserable on the sideline during matches. 
  • Backup setter
  • Potentially a fourth MB for depth

MB - We have Singletary, who has played this year, Bunton, who took a redshirt and Ames coming in at MB.  Texas prefers to redshirt their MBs, but we can't go into the season with only 2 active MBs if Ames is going to RS.  Ames could probably start day 1 though. She's good.
L/DS - Halter is a lock at libero.  Akana at DS. We bring in two L/DS recruits - Reese Emerick and Brennan Ramirez.   Emerick is really good, so she could start day 1 as a DS with Barnes departing.
OH - Skinner is a lock.  Then you have Byrd, Wenaas and Helmers. I mean, the hope is that Byrd supplants Wenaas.  She was #22 in her class, 2-time Gatorade Florida POY and is big at 6'4.  Jenna is Jenna - will another offseason in the Texas system help her? Idk.  I feel for her, but man, she is hard to watch sometimes. 
OPP - Molly is gone, to play beach somewhere else, so Devin would probably be your day 1 starter if she stays.  If she goes, Texas is going to have to go into the portal.  We also have Tomkinson here too.
S - Swindle, duh.  But then it's Crownover and no one.  Texas may be looking for a backup here. 

There is a projected lineup where we could go with 6'2 Skinner, 6'4 Devin, 6'4 Byrd, 6'4 Singletary, 6'4 Ames, 6'3 Swindle. Obviously Madi will play all 6 rotations, but you probably need someone else to as well (Byrd or Devin). Or we go out and get a 6 rotation OH. Jenna can play all the way around, but do we want to see her on the court for 3 more rotations? 

Hell no!

It is what it is at this point, but I don't want to Wenaas in the starting line-up next year. Jenna is who I thought she would be when she transferred in...she has skill but can never put it all together and play consistently at a high level. Next season, I hope Byrd displaces Jenna on the left pin.

I'm in the camp that believes Devin is gone. She's going through the motions of being a good teammate on the sideline but she's completely checked out. 

If we're going to hit the portal, I'd honestly like to see Reagan Rutherford transfer in and start at Opposite.  She may be on the shorter side at 6'0, but she has hops and is a terminal hitter on the right pin as a lefty. She was putting up 3.47 Kills/set and averaging 0.9 blocks/set (better than Molly's numbers) before getting injured this season. She can also potentially play 6-rotations since she was trained at Kentucky to play back-row defense, be in the passing lanes for a couple of rotations, and attack from the back-row. Plus, she can actually hit out-of-system high balls from the right pin which can help take some pressure off the left pins and make the offense less predictable. 

Averi Carlson would be nice to have as another quality scholarship setter on the squad and to give Ella some competition.  But even without her, there will be 3 setters next year (Ella and walk-ons Marina Crownover and Rella Binney). But yeah, if Ella goes down for an extended period of time, we would be screwed. 

I think we are set at MB with Mari, Nya, and Ayden...it'll be a young group (unless we get an experienced grad transfer MB), so that's why we need terminal pin hitters next season so that the MBs can focus on blocking, since we'll probably see a significant drop-off in that part of our game. 

The team goes on their European summer trip next year after a semester of spring training. It'll be a good time for the team to get extra quality practice reps, and hopefully, we'll see an overall improvement in each player's skills. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, TexasDPT said:

Hell no!

It is what it is at this point, but I don't want to Wenaas in the starting line-up next year. Jenna is who I thought she would be when she transferred in...she has skill but can never put it all together and play consistently at a high level. Next season, I hope Byrd displaces Jenna on the left pin.

I'm in the camp that believes Devin is gone. She's going through the motions of being a good teammate on the sideline but she's completely checked out. 

If we're going to hit the portal, I'd honestly like to see Reagan Rutherford transfer in and start at Opposite.  She may be on the shorter side at 6'0, but she has hops and is a terminal hitter on the right pin as a lefty. She was putting up 3.47 Kills/set and averaging 0.9 blocks/set (better than Molly's numbers) before getting injured this season. She can also potentially play 6-rotations since she was trained at Kentucky to play back-row defense, be in the passing lanes for a couple of rotations, and attack from the back-row. Plus, she can actually hit out-of-system high balls from the right pin which can help take some pressure off the left pins and make the offense less predictable. 

Averi Carlson would be nice to have as another quality scholarship setter on the squad and to give Ella some competition.  But even without her, there will be 3 setters next year (Ella and walk-ons Marina Crownover and Rella Binney). But yeah, if Ella goes down for an extended period of time, we would be screwed. 

I think we are set at MB with Mari, Nya, and Ayden...it'll be a young group (unless we get an experienced grad transfer MB), so that's why we need terminal pin hitters next season so that the MBs can focus on blocking, since we'll probably see a significant drop-off in that part of our game. 

The team goes on their European summer trip next year after a semester of spring training. It'll be a good time for the team to get extra quality practice reps, and hopefully, we'll see an overall improvement in each player's skills. 

Hey, if we get Rutherford and Byrd beats out Jenna - I’d be a very happy Longhorn. 

• Hook 'Em 1

One more sleep

I believe the schedule is:

• Wednesday - AVCA All-American announcements (Madi a lock for 1st team AA, O'Neal likely 1st or 2nd team AA, but that might be it for Texas)
  • Thursday - national semifinals
  • Friday - AVCA POY/FOY awards at the end of year banquet
  • Sunday - championship match on ABC (for the first time ever) at 2pm.  Feels like it's been a while since there was 2 days off between the semis and champ match, as usually it is one day and held on Saturday night.  

Sure feels like NCAA women's one game championships (WBB/VB) will become national ABC broadcasts on Sunday afternoons for the future to try to capture more of an audience than playing them on a Saturday or Monday night.  Plus they had a WCWS game on ABC in 2022. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Also, this match kind of reminds me of the 2016 match in the NCAA semifinals versus Nebraska.  We were statistical underdogs in nearly every category, Nebraska was the favorite and everyone was like "Texas will be lucky to avoid being swept"

Texas won that match -18, 23, -21 in a stunning upset to advance to the NCAA championship match. 

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Also, this match kind of reminds me of the 2016 match in the NCAA semifinals versus Nebraska.  We were statistical underdogs in nearly every category, Nebraska was the favorite and everyone was like "Texas will be lucky to avoid being swept"

Texas won that match -18, 23, -21 in a stunning upset to advance to the NCAA championship match. 

Snl Season 47 GIF by Saturday Night Live

The underdog narrative is kind of funny to begin with. We are still a top 5 most talented roster coming off a national championship. Yeah, we are probably the "underdogs" but I still think we are just slight underdogs against anybody still in the field. 

On 12/10/2023 at 3:31 PM, Js1 said:

Less injuries than basketball. Feel like all we hear is someone in WBB who tore their ACL

This is incorrect. I'd bet ACL years are higher in club volleyball. It's become a year round sport and over training is an issue. That coupled with bad jumping technique is causing increased injuries. 4 of the 13 girls on my daughter's club team have torn their ACLs. 

Also, at the lower level ankle injuries are very common because of girls coming under the net. Another girl had to have season ending ankle surgery because of this.  There are far more injuries in indoor than people realize

9 minutes ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

This is incorrect. I'd bet ACL years are higher in club volleyball. It's become a year round sport and over training is an issue. That coupled with bad jumping technique is causing increased injuries. 4 of the 13 girls on my daughter's club team have torn their ACLs. 

Also, at the lower level ankle injuries are very common because of girls coming under the net. Another girl had to have season ending ankle surgery because of this.  There are far more injuries in indoor than people realize

I guess this is more from my eyes. Not my experience bc I don’t have kids 

Our WBB team has 4 ACL injury kids and our VB team has been relatively healthy on that end 

16 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I guess this is more from my eyes. Not my experience bc I don’t have kids 

Our WBB team has 4 ACL injury kids and our VB team has been relatively healthy on that end 

Yeah, I think it changes as you go up in level. The contact aspect goes up in BB and body control improves in VB. This shifts the injury aspects 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 12/13/2023 at 8:09 AM, Js1 said:
  • Sunday - championship match on ABC (for the first time ever) at 2pm.  Feels like it's been a while since there was 2 days off between the semis and champ match, as usually it is one day and held on Saturday night.  

whoa.  i had no idea.  that's awesome.  big boy ABC.  Sunday could be kind of epic.

10:30 am - Liverpool/ManU

2:00 pm - Horns/Corn

3:25 pm - Cowboys/Bills

• Hook 'Em 1

Nebraska's John Cook is the AVCA Coach of the Year.

Yeah

#1 overall seed
Had to replace Hames, Knuckles, Kubick and Lauenstein from last year's 26-6 Sweet 16 team and did it with a freshman setter (Reilly), freshman DS (Choboy), freshman MB (Andi Jackson), freshman OH (Harper Murray) and a transfer OPP (Beason)

That dude is a grade A chode but he has 3 freshman in critical spots and is in the Final Four with a 32-1 record

Edited by Js1

• blacklab changed the title to 2023 Texas Volleyball - Back to Back!