I take it the Longhorn band will appear in Tuscaloosa

Bama Llama

This time last year my people were clutching pearls and whining because the MDB (admin dinks) took a pass on the game, unhappy with not being on field level. Those decisions were made by eedjit bean counters.

Someone tell me what the Texas band is doing, i.e., numbers traveling, size of giant drum traveling, other details and whatnot. Game night is less than a month away, motherfuckers! Here’s to another slobber knocking, this time out in our okry patch (credit DKR). No injuries and no bad no calls this time.

Also send pics of this years chaps babes. Any pics.

Edited by Bama Llama
Caint spayull x 4
  • Hook 'Em 1

• Bama Llama changed the title to I take it the Longhorn band will appear in Tuscaloosa

very likely going to be a small pep band, about 30-40 members. No big drum. The full band will occasionally travel out of state for a regular season game depending on budget, but given that they're already gonna be traveling to UH, TCU, and Baylor, I'd guess not and it'll just be a travel band.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

2 hours ago, fatheryeet said:

very likely going to be a small pep band, about 30-40 members. No big drum. The full band will occasionally travel out of state for a regular season game depending on budget, but given that they're already gonna be traveling to UH, TCU, and Baylor, I'd guess not and it'll just be a travel band.

https://youtu.be/uz1EX_VOaFc

14 minutes ago, Ignatius said:

That’s some pussy-ass bullshit. You bring the team to DKR for a beating, you bring the MOB to shove it up our ass at halftime…

Truth.

As a certified - or certifiable - old, I despise the XP29Tron™ gigamtic screaming screen. Add to that the fact that I have seen quite a few MOB performances, and I don't recall being disappointed. It's hard to believe that with all the bullshit that's been done to extend games to four fucking hours, it's not possible to allocate 20 minutes or so to let the visitors' bands play. Hell, the '62 or '64 Arkysaw game, we let the filthy cocksuckers sell their band seats and their band stood on the sidelines (actually, on the track) near our team for the whole game. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

Agree. It’s like refusing a gypsy. Payback willcome in some form or other.

in or about 1971 when I was attempting to matriculate at the Institute, a memorable the MOB staged a memorable halftime show vs Houston at the Dome. Things were going along well enough as the MOB members began to morph into a muffin looking shape . . . Wait! What is it? Coukd it be? Yes! It is! Thd MOB formed a reasonably good lune drawing silhouette of thd Dome. The snarky MOB p.a. guy, sounding like a bad 50s documentary narrator, said these words:

”And now, ladies and gentlemen, the Marching Owl Band salutes Judge Roy Hofheinz and the fabulous Houston Astrodome, the WORLD’S! echo echo echo

SMALLEST! echo echo echo

INDOOR! echo echo echo

STADIU - - - [silence for the rest of the show]

Judge Hofheinz’s sky box was right next to the p.a. booth shere the MOB announcer was  doing the show. When Hofheinz realized where fhe “salute” wS going, he jumped up and burst in to the MOB p.a. Booth and yanked the mic cord out of the wall.

Ever courageous and showpeople to the end, the MOB finished their show. I don’t remember if Rice or UH won but does it even matter?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

In today's college football, the home team doesn't give the visitors enough tickets to merit bringing a full band, especially for out of state non-conference big games. The visiting tickets go to high dollar alumni.  I'm impressed that LHB is getting enough tickets for TCU, Baylor, and UH on the road.  It's like a final year SWC tour.

Texas usually takes a small pep band to far away games, but at least they get to fly.  In the 1980s, the entire Longhorn Band bused to Auburn.  The trip there was two days, but the trip back was one long bus ride.  The A/C on my bus gave out somewhere around Mobile and never returned.

The giant drum (Big Bertha) was replaced last year with a larger, less radioactive version, but I doubt it will travel to Alabama.

Speaking of the MOB, their answer to Big Bertha was to create the world's longest tuba, which was pretty funny to see.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Texas Jeff said:

In the 1980s, the entire Longhorn Band bused to Auburn.

Then you were one of the seemingly endless line of LHB members who so impressively marched into Jordan Hare Stadium. To you and all the others in white stetsons, string ties and burnt orange uniforms with white zigzags piped up the outside legs, I tip my crimson ball cap. 

Mike, a police captain and otherwise nice guy I knew in Tuscaloosa, nwas a glassy-eyed Auburn fan. He never missed a chance to remind me of the Punt, Bama, Punt! debacle in 1972. As of September, 1980 Bama had won every Auburn game since then. Mike was all keyed up for 1980 and had tickets to the Texas game on the Plains.

Monday after the game he cane dragging in, whining, “Goddamn! The football team was bad enough but Texas had us beat before the kickoff! They started marching in, clanging those fucking cowbells, and they must have marched in for 30 minutes. Then they played “The Eyes of Texas” and everyone around me was looking around like “Sheee-yit! THAT was a mrach-in!”

Texas controlled both LOS, the LHB won the music and showbiz game, and Texas won the day all around. As an old band geek and lifelong Bama fan, I enjoyed the shit out of it. Those fuckers can’t suffer enough.

Edited by Bama Llama
Misspeljt stuff
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

My bad - it’s hell getting old. That was game one of 1983, not 1980. Going in Auburn was ranked #3 and Texas #5. Auburn was never in it.

ScoQuarters   1  2  3  4   Score
------ -- -- -- --   -----
Texas........ 10 10  0  0  - 20       Record: (1-0)
Auburn.......  0  0  0  7  -  7       Record: (0-1)

Capn Mike had the last word after 1981. Fucking Auburn beat us in 1982 and 1983. 

I just hope we bring the fucking wood to Alabama and do the same thing to your QB you did to ours last year. Finally an sec game with sec refs the defense needs to make some fucking noise. 
Yeah sure the band too.  

On 8/13/2023 at 7:15 PM, Zeus said:

I just hope we bring the fucking wood to Alabama and do the same thing to your QB you did to ours last year. Finally an sec game with sec refs the defense needs to make some fucking noise. 
Yeah sure the band too.  

This game is going to be awesome.

Aren't they honoring the '63 team?  Might have something to do with it.

The ‘63 Team will be honored pre-game, just like they did 10 years ago. Their 3-5 minutes on the field wouldn’t/shouldn’t have any affect on HT activities, nor the MOB attending.

Hook’em!!!
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 hours ago, Nueces River Rat said:

I bet next season we will have to adjust the band setups for both the Home and visiting bands, IE the visiting band will be moved down from the nosebleed section.    The SEC supposedly has a set of rules governing this.

The SWC did as well. I was able to significantly upgrade my seats without a huge jump in LF donation back in 96 when we joined the B12 and we started sticking most of the visitor section in the upper deck…

Watched Utube of LSU and Burrow carving up Bama. Noticed the Tigah Band was barely there, in the corner of one end zone. Looked like about the projected size of Longhorn Band there. Looked like they were pretty close to field level, and that stadium's seating leaves not much room on the sidelines. 

I won't be there, but it actually does suck that the MOB isn't performing.

Also, it's the weirdest controversy of all time for one school decide to sell their entire ticket allotment and then blame the home team for not selling them more tickets for their band when the game is already sold out.

• Hook 'Em 1