WTF is wrong with you, Marion County, Kansas

956 Worldwide

16 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

This might make a good movie some day but I'm not sure that the death of a newspaperwoman will be enough to grab Hollywood. We will need an attempted murder at the very least for Lifetime to do it. If it does get made, I want Clooney to play my role.

Just need to get a fancy Kansas themed title like "In Cold Ink" 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

39 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Today's rumor is that the County attorney has the affidavit but won't release it. Is that the office where it would logically be?

not how that works.  if the judge actually considered an appropriate affidavit for purposes of probable cause, it should be on file with the court clerk.  it may not be accessible because it is filed under seal or something but a d.a. just showing up with an affidavit, waving it around the courtroom, not filing it with the court, and then taking it home to never show anyone would be...inappropriate.

• Like 1

Just now, sidis said:

not how that works.  if the judge actually considered an appropriate affidavit for purposes of probable cause, it should be on file with the court clerk.  it may not be accessible because it is filed under seal or something but a d.a. just showing up with an affidavit, waving it around the courtroom, not filing it with the court, and then taking it home to never show anyone would be...inappropriate.

Boy....you don't seem to undastand how things are done 'round heah.

• Rage+1 1

27 minutes ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

This might make a good movie some day but I'm not sure that the death of a newspaperwoman will be enough to grab Hollywood. We will need an attempted murder at the very least for Lifetime to do it. If it does get made, I want Clooney to play my role.

Rosemary is dead, ain't she?

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 4
  • Drool 1

is it just me...

or is this whole story line literally ripped from an early season episode of Walker, Texas Ranger?

Dirty town, run by dirty cops and business owners, terrorizing an innocent newspaperlady and a 1 man wrecking crew shows up to fix the problem.... with a roundhouse kick to the face....

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

is it just me...

or is this whole story line literally ripped from an early season episode of Walker, Texas Ranger?

Dirty town, run by dirty cops and business owners, terrorizing an innocent newspaperlady and a 1 man wrecking crew shows up to fix the problem.... with a roundhouse kick to the face....

Sure, except in real life Chuck Norris is bffs with the corrupt cops and probably raided the old lady's home himself.

• Hook 'Em 6

1 hour ago, sidis said:

but not unusual. this is kansas.

• Rage+1 1

https://www.kwch.com/2023/08/16/marion-co-record-attorney-says-seized-items-have-been-returned/

Seems that things are afoot.

Also, it seems that earlier I spoke out of my ass (hat tip @Brisketexan) about missing funds. They are not missing. The correct amount is $449K and they have been placed in a different part of the budget than they are supposed to be in. The councilwoman and the mayor do not see eye to eye on the legality/appropriateness of this. My bad.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

All this dumb authoritarian bullshit over trying to cover up some DUIs in small town Kansas is so stupid. Like anyone there would've given a shit in the first place.

The offices of The Kansas City Star are about to be visited by friends

Police and Government - Lenco Armored Vehicles

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

41 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

Like anyone there would've given a shit in the first place.

This is where you are wrong. We have people that shop out of town for liquor so that the rest of the townies won't know. Marion Co. Mennonites and Baptists are judgy as fuck.

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
specificity
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Drool 1

2 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

https://www.kwch.com/2023/08/16/marion-co-record-attorney-says-seized-items-have-been-returned/

Seems that things are afoot.

Also, it seems that earlier I spoke out of my ass (hat tip @Brisketexan) about missing funds. They are not missing. The correct amount is $449K and they have been placed in a different part of the budget than they are supposed to be in. The councilwoman and the mayor do not see eye to eye on the legality/appropriateness of this. My bad.

At present time this investigation remains open, however, we have determined in collaboration with the Marion County Attorney, that the investigation will proceed independently, and without review or examination of any of the evidence seized on Friday, Aug. 11.

We will work with the Marion County Record, or their representative, to coordinate the prompt return of all seized items.

Season 7 Oops GIF by Workaholics 

“Sorry about violating federal laws and maybe contributing to the death of that old lady. Here’s your stuff back and a public statement we won’t use it. But we’re definitely still investigating legitimate crimes. #sorrynotsorry”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

All this dumb authoritarian bullshit over trying to cover up some DUIs in small town Kansas is so stupid. Like anyone there would've given a shit in the first place.

Who wouldn't be be drunk and driving away from Kansas to get away from Shoxthemonkey, Kenny the Tiger and wildcat09?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

I see that you've never lived in a small town.  

-or-

"Boy....you don't seem to undastand how things are done 'round heah."

Edited by Beau Vine

Shifting gears, slightly. Burns is a very small town on Marion County's southern border.

https://www.kwch.com/2023/08/16/former-burns-police-chief-arrested-child-sex-crimes/

I am told he is a former MarionCoKs Sheriff's Deputy.

If someone with better skills would post this to the drag queen thread, I would be much obliged.

4 hours ago, Shoxthemonkey said:

Shifting gears, slightly. Burns is a very small town on Marion County's southern border.

https://www.kwch.com/2023/08/16/former-burns-police-chief-arrested-child-sex-crimes/

I am told he is a former MarionCoKs Sheriff's Deputy.

If someone with better skills would post this to the drag queen thread, I would be much obliged.

Not saying it's related but Dennis Francione's first Head Coaching job was at Peabody-Burns. 

• Like 1

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/investigations/breaking-affidavits-reveal-what-evidence-police-used-to-raid-kansas-newspaper

TLDR - Attorneys for the Marion County Record have obtained the affadavits used for the warrant. the police chief accused a bunch of people of identity theft and unlawful use of a computer. After Meyer (the newspaper owner) told the police because he was worried that the documents were obtained illegally. The paper later was able to source the document from a records website through legal means (per their in house attorney). 

Cody, the police chief, then went to Newell (the DUI restaurant owner), and then a week later raided the newspaper, the home of the paper owner, and the fucking vice mayor for the town - who just so happened to be holding up the liquor license process for Newell. 

Oh yeah, and those affidavits weren't filed until three days AFTER the raids. The probable cause affadavit didn't exist when the judge rubber-stamped his gestapo police force's request to take down an inconvenient newspaper. 

Really makes ya wonder what else they've been getting up to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

• 1 month later...

https://www.kwch.com/2023/10/07/police-bodycam-footage-gives-new-look-inside-raids-marion-newspaper-office-homes/

https://kansasreflector.com/2023/10/03/marion-police-chief-resigns-after-body-cam-footage-shows-him-rifling-through-records-about-himself/

A late update: the CoP has resigned following body cam video releases that were shared on local television. The city council had finally suspended him a few days earlier. I had forgotten about this thread until @Pancho started a thread about our other county fuckhead. 

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Today's update on the Marion Police debacle, where we learn that the former CoP and the "victim" likely had a relationship prior to the raid.

And we get to see the former CoP prepare to piss in a local convenience store because he forgot to turn off his body cam. That's a bit of a twist from usual cop practice.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/most-embarrassing-leak-ever-marion-police-chief-s-own-video-shows-he-s-unfit-to-serve-opinion/ar-AA1k9uqt

Edited by Shoxthemonkey
  • Rage+1 3

• 4 months later...

Bump

A Kansas paper and its publisher are suing over police raids. They say damages exceed $10M

TOPEKA, Kan. (AP) — A weekly central Kansas newspaper and its publisher filed a federal lawsuit Monday over police raids last summer of its offices and the publisher’s home, accusing local officials of trying to silence the paper and causing the death of the publisher’s 98-year-old mother.

The lawsuit did not include a specific figure for potential damages. However, in a separate notice to local officials, the paper and its publisher said they believe they are due more than $10 million.

The lawsuit from the Marion County Record’s parent company and Eric Meyer, its editor and publisher, accuses the city of Marion, the Marion County Commission and five current and former local officials of violating free press rights and the right to be free from unreasonable law enforcement searches guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. The lawsuit also notified the defendants that Meyer and the newspaper plan to add other claims, including that officials wrongly caused the death of Meyer’s mother the day after the raids, which the lawsuit attributes to a stress-induced heart attack.

The raids put Marion, a town of about 1,900 people set among rolling prairie hills about 150 miles (241 kilometers) southwest of Kansas City, Missouri, at the center of a national debate over press freedoms. It also highlighted the intense divisions over a newspaper known for its aggressive coverage of local issues and its strong criticism of some officials.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1