Telemarketers - HBO doc series

bluto

7 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I worked as a telemarketer for awhile in college. It was awful. I don't know what this is but I don't think I want to watch it.

I interviewed for a telemarketing job in college and didn’t get it. Not sure what that says about me. 

• Haha 1

Just started this and within 30 seconds I realized it’s the same concept of this job I took in Dallas when my wife went to grad school and I was working temp jobs for a couple of months. 

It wasn’t quite as scummy of an office as the documentary, but it’s the same concept with the call scam. I saw through it so fast, but needed some kind of cash at the time and I stayed for a month. Two weeks of training and then two weeks on the floor. I made one sale and quit the next day. 

A ton of ex-UT baseball players were employed there as well. Such a scam. We we ostensibly selling ad space for a website, but they would never give us data about site traffic or anything. It was all about trying to beat people into submission over the phone. Awful. 

Edited by Biff Tannen

38 minutes ago, bluto said:

Chuckling at the fact same thing for me even tho I started this damn thread. Started ep2 and just couldn’t give a damn. 

I get it. For me personally, I just want to see if the building I worked in is shown. Or the specific scam I was running is mentioned. It was legal, but god damn was it shady. Just calling on businesses instead of individuals and trying to get them to buy ad space for a website that no one went to. Sam exact training and concept though. 

Well that was kind of a disappointing ending.  Blumenthal did himself no favors.  At least have the staff actually meet with them.  God damn dude.

This. Wife and I watched the last two episodes tonight. Kind of just ended with no real resolution.

Noticed tonight in the closing credits that this was produced by Jody Hill, Danny McBride and David Gordon Green. Pat Pespas was quite a character.