David Fincher's The Killer

CooterBrown

On a first viewing I thought it was ok. Worlds better than most of the star-driven Netflix movies but it lost my attention a few times. Other times like the Florida fight had me standing because of the tension.

Some movies take a couple of views to appreciate it and I’m willing to watch it again someday.

Same:  "ok".  Didn't hate it.  Lots of obvious plot holes.  I also could not get past the "suppressor" on his pistol.  It has open-air flanges on it.  It's a muzzle break, not a suppressor, yet they had it operate (quietly) as one when fired.  Muzzle breaks intentionally disperse gas out both sides to mitigate recoil and but make it louder, suppressors trap the gas.

To nerd out on the opening rifle scene, mention range, ballistics, and sub-sonic ammo, and then miss this?  

image.png.bd610ebebddc001f25105dddea5f55a8.png

• Hook 'Em 2

1. Zodiac

2. Social Network

3. Se7en*

4. Fight Club*

5. The Killer

6. Gone Girl

7. The Game

8. Dragon Tattoo

9. Button

10. Panic Room

11. Alien 3

*I watched these movies when I was like 12 years a few years after they came out, and they blew my 12 year old mind. If they came out now, they might be lower, but fuck it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

1. Zodiac

2. Social Network

3. Se7en*

4. Fight Club*

5. The Killer

6. Gone Girl

7. The Game

8. Dragon Tattoo

9. Button

10. Panic Room

11. Alien 3

*I watched these movies when I was like 12 years a few years after they came out, and they blew my 12 year old mind. If they came out now, they might be lower, but fuck it.

You and I have a very similar list.

1. Social Network (Best Movie of the 2010s)

2. Zodiac 

3. Se7en

4. Dragon Tattoo (this movie fucking rips)

5. Fight Club

6. The Killer

7. Gone Girl

8. The Game

9. Button

10. Panic

11. Mank

12. Alien

3 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

1. Zodiac

2. Social Network

3. Se7en*

4. Fight Club*

5. The Killer

6. Gone Girl

7. The Game

8. Dragon Tattoo

9. Button

10. Panic Room

11. Alien 3

1. Se7en*

2. Fight Club

3. Alien 3

4. Zodiac

5. The Killer

6. The Game 

7. Panic Room

8. Dragon Tattoo

9. Social Network 

10. Gone Girl

11. Button

*They’re all great, but Se7en is perfect. 

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

You and I have a very similar list.

1. Social Network (Best Movie of the 2010s)

2. Zodiac 

3. Se7en

4. Dragon Tattoo (this movie fucking rips)

5. Fight Club

6. The Killer

7. Gone Girl

8. The Game

9. Button

10. Panic

11. Mank

12. Alien

Shit, I forgot about Mank! I actually liked that movie. I might rank it above Button, but that movie just didn’t really work for me. 

1 hour ago, Neonmoon said:

1. Se7en*

2. Fight Club

3. Alien 3

4. Zodiac

5. The Killer

6. The Game 

7. Panic Room

8. Dragon Tattoo

9. Social Network 

10. Gone Girl

11. Button

*They’re all great, but Se7en is perfect. 

41 minutes ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Shit, I forgot about Mank! I actually liked that movie. I might rank it above Button, but that movie just didn’t really work for me. 

If y’all haven’t I encourage you to revisit Dragon Tattoo. It’s obviously hard to watch at times, but it has some amazing sequences.

11 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

The Game should be above The Killer. Alien 3 was absolute fucking dogshit.  

This.  First one STILL holds up.  Hard to think of another movie (The Shining is one) from that time that absolutely still enthralls/scares people that have never seen it.  

On 11/16/2023 at 9:09 PM, Neonmoon said:

I love Dragon Tattoo but I saw the original Swedish films, which were also great, so it didn’t have the wow factor for me. 

How did they not continue the Dragon Tattoo series with Craig and Mara? They had book content, they had another film series to draw inspiration including understanding how audiences reacted to them.  I know the producers ultimately made another film from the inspired by series but so ridiculous to waste the opportunity.

19 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

How did they not continue the Dragon Tattoo series with Craig and Mara? They had book content, they had another film series to draw inspiration including understanding how audiences reacted to them.  I know the producers ultimately made another film from the inspired by series but so ridiculous to waste the opportunity.

Sony thought it was too expensive 

On 11/16/2023 at 10:13 AM, BabaYaga said:

Same:  "ok".  Didn't hate it.  Lots of obvious plot holes.  I also could not get past the "suppressor" on his pistol.  It has open-air flanges on it.  It's a muzzle break, not a suppressor, yet they had it operate (quietly) as one when fired.  Muzzle breaks intentionally disperse gas out both sides to mitigate recoil and but make it louder, suppressors trap the gas.

If this movie was a documentary about gun parts, then I would care. But it's not, so I don't.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 11/16/2023 at 9:33 PM, bschoolprof said:

The Game should be above The Killer. Alien 3 was absolute fucking dogshit.  

The theatrical release of Alien 3 is dogshit.  If you get ahold of the Assembly cut it's actually alright.  

The studio fucked him over hard on that film, so he gets a pass in my book.  Especially considering literally everything involving that franchise after Alien 3 is, well, way worse than Alien 3.  

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:03 PM, bschoolprof said:

I had a bigger issue with the plot, but I often suck at these things.

Reveal hidden contents

Why would killing the protagonist mitigate blowback/loose ends for the billionaire client?  Blowback to the billionaire would occur if the Parisian survivor did some digging and found out that the billionaire tried to have him killed. But whacking the hitman that has no idea who the client is accomplishes nothing. Instead, the billionaire should have had jackie chiles whacked - that would cut off the trail leading back to the identity of the client.  

More money, that's why.  Extra $150K.  Just soaking the rich guy for more money.

2 hours ago, Felix said:

More money, that's why.  Extra $150K.  Just soaking the rich guy for more money.

Still makes no sense why the rich guy would agree to it if he spent more than 1 second thinking about it (which he probably would).

"I'm spending an extra 150K to tie up the loose end that's not really loose and has no idea who I am?" 

Ironically, it was that decision that caused the real blowback (Steve Jobs showing up to your penthouse).  

Saw it last night.  Thought it was very good, but not great.  Loved the depiction/discussion of all the details about his "craft.  Thought that some of the opening voiceover could have been trimmed down -- after a while his droning voice was starting to wear thin.  The big fight scene was outstanding.  The conclusion was pretty anti-climactic.  

One of my biggest dislikes was that the score was like nails on a chalkboard in certain places.  Never cared too much for Trent Reznor or NIN, so that dislike probably factors into it somewhat.