2023 Dallas Cowboys Season Thread

Hermanator

Nice little stat here. Since the beginning of last season there are 3 games where Dak didn't have a turnover. Lions, Vikings, and last night. All 3 teams with winning records in 2022.  In those games the Cowboys are 3-0 with a combined point differential of 104-9. 

With this defense the most important thing is no turnovers. Dak doesn't need to be forcing shit like under Moore. He just needs to be early Seattle Russell Wilson for this team to have a shot in the playoffs. Make the play that's there, don't turn it over, scramble for yards when necessary. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Hermanator said:

Nice little stat here. Since the beginning of last season there are 3 games where Dak didn't have a turnover. Lions, Vikings, and last night. All 3 teams with winning records in 2022.  In those games the Cowboys are 3-0 with a combined point differential of 104-9. 

With this defense the most important thing is no turnovers. Dak doesn't need to be forcing shit like under Moore. He just needs to be early Seattle Russell Wilson for this team to have a shot in the playoffs. Make the play that's there, don't turn it over, scramble for yards when necessary. 

This was one of those weird ass games. A game kind of like the Vikings last year where we kicked their ass from start to finish. One where the Giants will just toss the tape and move on. I knew we would win because Daniel Jones is a fucking dork and we own the Giants for years now. But no one saw that kind of domination.

Those conditions were not good for an offense. Aikman spoke on it before how he hated rainy games. Both offenses looked sloppy, obviously theirs way worse. But ours was nothing to really write home about. 2 easy dropped TDs could have had 14pts instead of the 6 we settled for. Obviously it didn't matter in the end but I hope the drops were just a sign of the weather. This offense depends on solid tight end play to keep the ball moving and that area left a lot to be desired yesterday. Run game never really got going. 

This might be the only game all year with weather like that. Defense was at a huge advantage. I am curious how they look in good conditions against an actual good QB. Also curious how this offense plays in good conditions. It's also hard to judge the offense because they knew they could coast to a win and not be aggressive at all. The whole 2nd half was almost on auto pilot.  No dumb turnovers to give the Giants life. No dumb penalties to keep drives alive. I'll take it.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

If the Jets can't run the ball, they are pretty much fucked.  On that last touchdown in regulation, Garret Wilson first had to play cornerback to keep the db from intercepting it.  Zac isn't leading multiple scoring drives a game when he has to throw the ball regularly.

Edited by kevwun
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, kevwun said:

If the Jets can't run the ball, they are pretty much fucked.  On that last touchdown in regulation, Garret Wilson first had to play cornerback to keep the db from intercepting it.  Zac isn't leading multiple scoring drives a game when he has to throw the ball regularly.

Jets also needed to force 4 turnovers to even force OT. They needed their special teams win the game for them. For as much as you say we can't expect Dallas defense to do what they did against the Giants, are we really expecting the Jets to force 4 turnovers and return a punt for a TD? And even after all that, Bills had the ball with a chance to win. That tells you how bad the Jets offense under Wilson was. And it was bad last year, hence why they sold all out to win in the next 2 seasons with signing Roders when they just drafted Wilson first round last year. They know they have no shot with him.

And for our offense, this game will be in perfect conditions indoors. Not outside in pouring down rain. We were on cruise control the entire 2nd half and packed it in and showed nothing for tape purposes for the Jets DC. We also dropped 2 easy TDs that make that score closer to 50-0.

Jets OL is there for the taking. If our defense is really legit like many say, well then this is a game you take over early and don't let Wilson and that offense breathe. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Someone just started with a preconceived list based on whatever their personal feelings are and are adjusting it based on what happened a lot like the NCAA does with preseason rankings. 

If you just started from week 1 it would be Cowboys and Niners 1 and 2 and Steelers and Giants last 2

3 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

40-0 was fools gold. The Cowboys aren’t as good as they looked and also the Giants won’t be as shitty as they looked. The Jets have maybe the best defense in the NFL, so I don’t feel great about the 9.5 spread, even with Zac Wilson running for his life  

I mean the cowboys are probably BETTER than they looked.  The offense was not in sync, and had quite a few drops for scores and to keep drives alive. They could have scored 54 easily.

• Like 1

Scoop him up. And are we liking this kicker ?

I'll chalk up that terrible miss on his first PAT to some nerves and the rain. And being on national tv. And it could have snowballed from there like Maher in the playoffs. But he made every other kick after and all his kickoffs went into the end zone. He's good for now. But we've seen how quickly they can take a dive.

This was a really good article about game planning for the block.

Spoiler
EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — The Dallas Cowboys’ first touchdown of the game against the New York Giants on Sunday night was actually scored hours before the game, about seven miles east of MetLife Stadium. During the team’s game day walk-through at EnVue Hotel, Cowboys special teams ace C.J. Goodwin spoke his wisdom to Juanyeh Thomas.
Thomas, the second-year safety who made his NFL debut against the Giants, lines up just inside of Goodwin on the field goal block unit. Goodwin is the end line player on the left side and Thomas starts out next to him. Goodwin, who has played nearly 100 games in the NFL, including 69 over the last five seasons in Dallas, noticed a tendency from the Giants’ field goal unit that was waiting to be exploited. But based on how the Cowboys line up, Goodwin couldn’t be the one to make the play; he could only facilitate.
“We play these guys every year, twice a year,” Goodwin said. “It’s hard to get it from the outside. Your timing has to be right and their timing has to be slow. But the inside guy, as long as I do my job outside, the inside guy, especially with (special teams coordinator John Fassel) teaching what to do, I knew that second step, jump, fourth step, jump, (Thomas) has an opportunity — better opportunity than I do to block it. He did exactly what we told him to do, man.
“I’m trying to draw the wing off to me. The inside guy (for the Giants) that’s supposed to be blocking him, if he doesn’t do a good job putting an arm out or Juanyeh can put his arm down, then that frees him up. Two steps, jump and then two steps, jump. It worked out perfectly.”
Meanwhile, cornerback Noah Igbinoghene’s job was clear: If Thomas gets the block, anticipate where the ball will go and be in position to scoop it up and score. At the outset, Igbinoghene is lined up at the end of the line on the far right side, opposite Goodwin and Thomas. Igbinoghene isn’t trying to speed rush off the edge and block the kick; instead, he slowly gets off the line of scrimmage and begins to set up shop in the backfield on his side of the field.

6d2310b0f1ec0cc0a843799003a964f5f22881ae

NFL

COWBOYS BLOCKED FG TOUCHDOWN : #DALvsNYG on NBC : Stream on #NFLPlus http://bit.ly/3LDAy19

66d11ee52ffd89fb555b47e83b2c6e3bd5d122dd

Copy link

“I saw the ball, I picked it up and started running,” Igbinoghene said. “While I was running, I actually couldn’t believe it was happening in that time. God is good. When you put yourself in the right situation and do what your coaches tell you to do, stuff like that happens.”
In a game that overflowed with standout plays from the Cowboys, it was Thomas’ block and Igbinoghene’s return that — considering the moment and result — was arguably the play of the game.
After the Giants got the ball to begin the game, they ran the ball right through the Cowboys’ defense and marched inside the Dallas 10-yard line. In fact, the first New York rush attempt that was finally stymied came on the Dallas 16 on the eighth play of the drive, when Thomas stuffed Saquon Barkley for no gain.
“He’s a great player,” Goodwin said of Thomas, who had a key pass breakup on the ensuing drive following the blocked kick. “You’re starting to see flashes now but when he’s going to put it together, he’s going to be a really, really big player in this league. He did it and it worked. It changed the game, really.”
As much as Goodwin tried to direct credit toward Thomas, the young safety wouldn’t have it.
“First of all, before I even talk, I want to give a shoutout,” Thomas said. “C.J. Goodwin, is the reason I got it. We were going through that in walk-through a couple of hours before the game and he told me, ‘It’s going to be open!’ He was just, teaching me, ‘once you jump, get over, blah blah blah.’ I listened to my vets and that’s how it happened. So, thank you to him for telling me that stuff.”
That play embodied several messages head coach Mike McCarthy and his staff preach to the players on a routine basis. On a micro level, it was an example of unselfish play and each player doing their job. Any player would love to be the hero and block the kick or score the touchdown — Goodwin joked how Igbinoghene scored on his first snap in Dallas while Goodwin has been waiting five years and counting — but that’s not the formula for consistent success.
On this play, Goodwin’s job was to speed rush wide off the left edge to bring the blocker out to him and create the best lane possible for Thomas. Goodwin did exactly that. Thomas’ job was pounce on that lane and be technically sound and efficient, which was also something Goodwin taught him precisely at the walk-through.
“Outside foot up, just because he’s right-handed,” Goodwin said. “Left foot is your power foot. Jump up, then right foot, left foot because you land on your right foot and jump again with your left. That’s really the only way to get through.”
After Thomas executed that to perfection, he turned to his athleticism and attacked the ball to block the kick. Once he did that part of his job, Thomas wasn’t compelled to chase the ball and try to recover it. That wasn’t part of his job.
“I saw Noah so I was just trying to block the next man,” Thomas said. “I’m proud of Noah, too. Noah has been through a lot. To come in and score his first touchdown, it’s huge.”
That next block was on Giants kicker Graham Gano, who was the final threat to Igbinoghene. Once Thomas took out Gano, it was a clear path to the end zone for Igbinoghene and a 6-0 Cowboys lead that turned into a 40-0 dismantling of the Giants.
The two players were the story of roster cutdown day two weeks ago were the stars of the show: Thomas (undrafted) for making the 53-man for the first time despite lack of draft pedigree and Igbinoghene (30th overall in 2020) for being involved in a one-for-one trade just minutes before the deadline after being deemed a disappointment for his draft pedigree. Goodwin, whose sole purpose for being on the roster is his special teams prowess, served as the orchestrator.
At a macro level, the play delivered was the manifestation of one of the oldest cliches in the book. All three phases. Complementary football. Every coach says it but Sunday night was the proof of its value.
“I feel like it’s very important,” Igbinoghene said. “It doesn’t get talked about like offense and defense but that’s a part of the team. Like we made plays today, it can shift the entire game. You never really know what happens. It’s really the small things that really matter. Special teams plays an important role on the overall score of the game. As many people would like to say, it’s not just offense and defense, today happened. Special teams can make plays any single day. It happened today.”
The Cowboys have one of the most respected special teams coaches in the NFL in Fassel and a true leader for that phase of the way in Goodwin, who was the special teams captain Sunday after being elevated to the active roster. But just as importantly, the Cowboys have players like Thomas and Igbinoghene, whose primary positions come elsewhere but still take pride in their roles on the “other” phase.
“Special teams changed the game today, honestly,” Goodwin said. “The momentum changed.”

On 9/11/2023 at 3:39 PM, Vic Mackey said:

I see ya Dak

Hot for a tranny. 

3 hours ago, Vic Mackey said:

Haven't seen this gain any real traction in the media. No idea how valud this is. 7a099f3640b2100b46df27899f9d0195.jpg

Probably invalud

23 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

40-0 was fools gold. The Cowboys aren’t as good as they looked and also the Giants won’t be as shitty as they looked. The Jets have maybe the best defense in the NFL, so I don’t feel great about the 9.5 spread, even with Zac Wilson running for his life  

I wouldn’t touch this spread with Drew’s dick. And if I did I’d probably wager on Jets. 

16 hours ago, ATXbronco said:

The older I get, the less impressed I am with fake titties

Older I get the more I realize girls must have them. 

I mean 9.5 is a silly fucking spread.  It would be stupid to take it...I'd stay away all together.

Having said that...they'll win by double digits with the same exact gameplan.  Safe on offense. Let the defense work.

Edited by Drew