This team is scary good

ztejas

1 hour ago, Dbeasy said:

Comparisons to the 2005 team were covered ad nauseam on two other threads.

In retrospect the concerns about PK early on were a bit ridiculous given that he inherited assistant coaches, had “all hat no cattle” players at key positions, and generally runs a scheme that takes a little time to implement.

This team is good, but I’m not sure it can overcome playing really bad (penalties, turnovers, mistakes) against better teams.  We will see.  

It’s been such a pleasure to watch a disciplined Texas team… so I think the biggest risk comes down to execution. If we can’t run block and Quinn is missing open receivers… who has the best run D left on our schedule?

11 minutes ago, B00M said:

It’s been such a pleasure to watch a disciplined Texas team… so I think the biggest risk comes down to execution. If we can’t run block and Quinn is missing open receivers… who has the best run D left on our schedule?

TCU stops the run well enough and they do it even better at home. 

Texas fans are understandably beaten down from 14 years of underachieving humiliation. However, teams come in cycles. This team is peaking with talent this year. They will be losing the QB, most of the receivers, and key pieces on defense to graduation and the NFL. There will likely never be another '05 team here or anywhere else. This is probably the most talent we will put togather for many years. At least internally, this team better be setting their sights pretty high.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Linebacker was the only position on the team without nfl talent. 

Yep. Aside from Hill have a few growing pains (which he entirely made up for) I can't remember us having a more sound and talented LB crew. With our lines so stout I feel like I'm living in an (happy) alternate reality.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, WinningIsHard said:

Reggie bush pitched a ball to air in the national championship game and helped us win a title lol. What team doesn’t shoot themselves in the dick? Wtf are some of you assholes talking about, I swear it’s like I’m playing poker with my brothers kids. We are showing that this team can overcome setbacks, that’s championship caliber. Period. It’s not preferable to fuck up on ST, or fumble but that shit is going to happen. We are going to shit stomp Kansas, rock chalk can eabod. 

Huff muffed a punt early in that game as well, leading to our initial deficit after stopping their initial possession. 

• Hook 'Em 2

Man there are some crazy takes in this thread comparing this team to 05.
05 was better at every single position group except for LB and very very maybe TE. This team has a better #1 WR but the rest of the group is not at the 05 level. There’s not even any other position groups that are particularly close. DLine is the closest I guess but then you remember that 05 had 4 NFL players on it and that’s before you look at freshman Rak and freshman Roy Miller.

6 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Huff muffed a punt early in that game as well, leading to our initial deficit after stopping their initial possession. 

Aaron Ross fumbled the ball on a punt return. FIFY

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I watched the game the other day on YouTube and I had completely forgotten how sloppy that game was in the 1st half.  There were like five fumbles and fuck-ups all over the field from both teams.

3 hours ago, PTINS said:

I purposefully stayed away from the game thread last night, 'cause I knew what I would find on there.  Yes, I shouted "F******CK!!!" at the top of my lungs after the 2nd muffed punt, but I didn't run to the board just to ridicule a hard working kid that already knew he screwed up.

This morning I woke up happy (above ground), opened Surly, and dove in head first ..., and what did I read?

You mean other than "... PK is finally doing what I had hope he would do on defense when he was hired."

Finally?

Year 1 he had no zero impact on recruiting, and inherited a mindset of entitlement and players sitting back on their heals and watching people run by you. 

Year 2 he had 2 DL and a LB drafted and a LB that should have been B12 Defensive POY.

This year, Year 3, he has put on the field one of the strongest defenses in college football.

I will wait patiently to volcano on all the "Seven win Steve" people on here, scorn those you say, "I will eat crow" and think all is forgiven, and then smile and watch the axles bend from all the weight on the bandwagon. 

Some here have the patience of a gnat, thick success is a point and click away, and think being born on 3rd base is the same as hitting a triple.

Maybe dislodge the massive stick that shoved up your ass. I didn't demand instant anything. I've been waiting and hoping we'd get to this point and we finally have. If you want to take that as a slam on PK, well that's on you, shit for brains. We were all enjoying this win and you have to show up to purposefully act offended about something that wasn't at all offensive. Your emphasis of the word "finally" is on you. Stop trying to pick a fight. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I think people are underestimating how bad this Baylor team is.  38-6 is nice.  Things are looking good but man Baylor is flat awful.

Sure but we didn't play down to our competition. We dominated them on defense and the offense did what it needed to. We don't muff two punts and hit that doinked FG and it's possibly 9-17 points higher. Dominate the bad teams, like you should. I just chuckle that all Baylor really had to celebrate was recovering muffed punts. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 2

Just now, dcar00 said:

texas state beat them by 11.. i repeat the Texas State Bobcats.  I would hope we could beat Baylor by 30.  This team is really good.  D feels like it is potentially great.

You didn’t answer the question. What you would “hope” and what you’re willing to downplay in 20/20 hindsight are two different things. 

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Sure but we didn't play down to our competition. We dominated them on defense and the offense did what it needed to. We don't muff two punts and hit that doinked FG and it's possibly 9-17 points higher. Dominate the bad teams, like you should. I just chuckle that all Baylor really had to celebrate was recovering muffed punts. 

agreed.  It was nice to see us only struggle on O for the first drive or so.  you could also say a decent Baylor team scores TD's off those muffs.  The D is championship level from what I can see so far.

1 minute ago, Doc Daneeka said:

You didn’t answer the question. What you would “hope” and what you’re willing to downplay in 20/20 hindsight are two different things. 

Steve Sarkisian is still our OC but I do have hope.  Sark and PK have put together a salty as fuck D.

On 9/18/2023 at 7:16 AM, westexhorn said:

This team's success hinges on Quinn.  He stays inconsistent and we will likely lose games.  He plays consistently well and we will win the Big12.  I just imagine this team with Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, or even Shadeur/Michael Penix?

Why the fuck with you ever imagine this?  Quinn is our QB. Shedeur Sanders, are you fucking kidding me

We should really be comparing this team to the sugar bowl team that beat Georgia a few years back. Maybe just maybe we can compare them to the 2008 or 2009 teams but we are 4-0 this year with our best win being a 10 point victory against an Alabama team with no qb. The 2005 team was one of the greatest college football teams of ALL TIME. What the fuck did I just stumble onto?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, Goredho said:

Lots of impressive things about this team, but maybe the most impressive is how much better the average player is today vs the average player 3 years ago.  Especially on the lines. It’s a fucking stark difference.

I somehow think you’re still underestimating just how much better the DL is even when using “stark difference”. 

The OL doesn’t surprise me one bit, precisely because of the time and effort and resources Sark has deployed. The DL has come out of nowhere, with spotty play for decades. 

We are going to have some high draft picks the next few years on both lines, and a lot of it is individuals working their asses off. Murphy comes directly to mind. 

Just now, UTGrad98 said:

We should really be comparing this team to the sugar bowl team that beat Georgia a few years back. Maybe just maybe we can compare them to the 2008 or 2009 teams but we are 4-0 this year with our best win being a 10 point victory against an Alabama team with no qb. The 2005 team was one of the greatest college football teams of ALL TIME. What the fuck did I just stumble onto?

Recency bias, battered fan syndrome, and irrational exuberance all wrapped up in a flour tortilla. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Doc Daneeka said:

Not meant to be a slam on Ewers, but if Texas had Penix Georgia would be looking for a way to forfeit in a few months. 

I seriously doubt a Kirby Smart led team that is two time defending NC would be intimidated with Tom Brady leading us. 

I don’t entertain silly hypotheticals. I am very happy Quinn is a our QB and wouldn’t want it any other way. 

6 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Pretty bad post. We are markedly better than 2018. We are better than 2009. Probably on par with ‘08. Bama has a decent QB that needs to grow like Vince Young in ‘03. 

1 hour ago, Frank Drebin said:

This team has a better front 7 and WRs than 2005.  Backs are closer than you think given Charles was dinged up after OU and did not get as many carries. TE is a push.

Everything else, give me 2005.

Gagreed. And with the way this offensive line is coming  together, I dare say that it might be a push on the OL when this season is done, and I never thought I’d say that about measuring any team against that 2005 group of badass motherfuckers.

And the “everything else” is largely Vince Young.

8 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Gagreed. And with the way this offensive line is coming  together, I dare say that it might be a push on the OL when this season is done, and I never thought I’d say that about measuring any team against that 2005 group of badass motherfuckers.

And the “everything else” is largely Vince Young.

Probably a push on OL and front 7 (lol that this group is better). Agreed on receivers.  TBD on RBs. Disagree on TE being a wash. I’m a big D Thomas fan but JT is better (as was J Mike). JT is the best I’ve seen. 

While everything else is largely VY, and that is a huge advantage (not an indictment on QE - just hard to compare to best CFB player of all time), I’d argue the secondary figures largely into “everything else” and I love our current secondary. 

4 hours ago, USNALonghorn said:

2005 team had a far better secondary, especially safeties/nickel. Griffin Brothers, Huff, Tarrell Brown, and Aaron Ross at CB.

QB goes without saying. RB is pretty obvious with JC and RT.

2005 OL may not have been physically stronger, but was smarter and more cohesive. However, having VY as QB greatly magnifies apparent OL strength.

That 05 OL was the same OL that beat the fuck out of the Sooners in 06. For now, 05 OL is better (yes, that’s hindsight).

24 minutes ago, UTGrad98 said:

Didn't the entire offensive line and secondary from the 2005 team make it in the NFL? That team was loaded with NFL talent.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The Oline is not a push. Jesus Christ the 05 oline was one of the best ever in college football. What the fuck are y’all talking about?

We had 4 NFL players, and they were a really good line. They weren’t in the Top 3 lines of the preceding 10 Texas lines, though. 2nd, 5th, and 6th round draft choices. I think this one has more potential. 

Edited by Porterhouse

2 minutes ago, Porterhouse said:

While everything else is largely VY, and that is a huge advantage (not an indictment on QE - just hard to compare to best CFB player of all time), I’d argue the secondary figures largely into “everything else” and I love our current secondary. 

Good point. Cedric Griffin, Michael Huff, Michael Griffin, Aaron Ross, Tarrell Brown. Shit. Best unit ever to have walked the 40 acres.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

Scary good doesn’t go down 28-12 to a dog shit ok state team that’s 3-5 with the greatest college football player of all time playing QB. I’d say that’s really good with some room for improvement. Lol 

05 team also isn’t goin to the 4th tied with fucking Wyoming. 

Ill take 05 all day, every day and 33 times on Saturday.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

This team has a better front 7 and WRs than 2005.  Backs are closer than you think given Charles was dinged up after OU and did not get as many carries. TE is a push.

Everything else, give me 2005.

I think Ramonce would likely start AT RB for 2023 Texas.

7 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

I think Ramonce would likely start AT RB for 2023 Texas.

Ramonce or JC is starting every game. I feel like I’m taking crazy pills with some of the takes in this thread. Ramonce in this kinda offense would be so scary. 

There’s not an olineman on this roster at the level of Blalock or Scott. There’s def nothing close to Sendlein at C on this roster. 

Edited by hobbes2702
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1