This team is scary good

ztejas

To the crybaby bitches: if you can't take a 21 point win against a bowl team without wetting the bed you should seek professional help.
The offense is a work in progress, just like every other offense in college football except perhaps USC. Dropped passes are the most fixable problem you can have.
Luckily there is no dominant team this year.

Dropped passes in week three that have been a recurring issue dating back to previous seasons aren’t going to get fixed, FYI

2 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Dropped passes in week three that have been a recurring issue dating back to previous seasons aren’t going to get fixed, FYI

Honestly, I don't know how receivers ever drop a ball with the super-tacky gloves they wear.

We couldn't even use Lester Hayes' stickum back in my day. Get off my lawn.

• Rage+1 1

10 hours ago, pops said:

Since I'm the only fucker on this board that actually knows and follows mwc football....Wyoming is talented and bohl is a good coach. Texas was always going to win,  but it was their superbowl and the horns were on hangover patrol. This isn't the same as playing down to competition in years past. This was facing a decent team and finally saying fuck it and winning. On to next week. 

So does the MWC absorb Wazzu and OSU or do they re-brand the new league PAC - whatever?

23 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I sort of disagree if talent level is the metric.  I think 2005 has a good edge mainly at this point on QB and DB but the idea it is "nowhere close" purely from a talent standpoint is a bit hyperbolic. 

Now maturity, consistency and killer instinct.....2005 wipes its nuts across this or any other Texas team of the past 40+ years.

The 05 team had 32 NFL players. This team isn’t close at all in talent. There’s three teams in college football history with the talent of that team.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

The 05 team had 32 NFL players. This team isn’t close at all in talent. There’s three teams in college football history with the talent of that team.

The words "nowhere close" would imply there are like 10 NFL guys on this roster....there are a lot more than 10 NFL guys on this roster.  

12 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

FSU, Michigan, and Georgia also had shitty games today. It's a wash. I know I liked this team a lot going into the season and my mind hasn't changed. I actually think this team is more talented than the 05 team overall except at qb obviously, and it will play out like that in the draft. If you put VY on this team I would put all my money on them winning the national championship, not that I think Quinn is a scrub or anything. 

dave chappelle sandwich GIF

• Haha 2

I know some of you have never played football before, and the expectation is that WRs are supposed to catch everything thrown their way, but when you take reps from your QB all week long and then the game comes and his ball placement is completely different it throws you off. Being that everyone is "dropping" passes I think that is part of the issue here. 

12 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I’m not quite there yet.   I think ou can give us fits.  Hell I think there’s a chance every team remaining can make things ugly in some way for us.  

Bohl is a great coach and did a great job in slowing our horses down.  Imagine  running a 4 x 100 relay but on a spartan course.  Bohl made us play his game. 

I watched OU for two quarters yesterday. They are not very good. Their tackling still sucks, and they run the score up on weak teams and keep bombing away in the 4th quarter. Gabriel is limited as a passer, and if they don't out talent teams they are going to have a very hard time.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Surly Bevo said:

I sort of disagree if talent level is the metric.  I think 2005 has a good edge mainly at this point on QB and DB but the idea it is "nowhere close" purely from a talent standpoint is a bit hyperbolic. 

Now maturity, consistency and killer instinct.....2005 wipes its nuts across this or any other Texas team of the past 40+ years.

It’s no where close.

2005 had

Quarterback 

- Vince Young (JR)

- Matt Nordgren (SR)

- Colt McCoy (FR) - sat for his redshirt season

Running Back

- Jamaal Charles (FR)

- Romance Taylor (SO)

- Selvin Young (JR)

- Chris Ogbannaya (RS FR)

- Ahmard Hall (SR)

- Henry Melton (FR) - also played DE

- Scott Ballew (JR) - walk-on, but was a stud for Westlake in Austin

- Antwaun Hobbs (JR)

Wide Receiver

- Quan Cosby (FR)

- Limas Sweed (SO)

- Billy Pittman (SO)

- Brian Carter (SR)

- Nate Jones (SO)

-

Tight End

- David Thomas (SR)

- Jermichael Finley (FR) - redshirt year

Offensive Line

- Justin Blalock (JR)

- Kasey Studdard (JR)

- Lyle Sendlein (JR)

- Jonathan Scott (SR)

- Tony Hills (SO)

- Will Allen (SR)

- Adam Ulatoski (FR) - sat as a redshirt

- Cedric Dockery (RS FR)

- Chris Hall (FR)

- Charlie Tanner (FR)

Defensive Tackle

- Frank Okam (SO)

- Rod Wright (SR)

- Roy Miller (FR)

- Larry Dibbles (SR)

- Derek Lokey (SO)

Defensive End

- Brian Orakpo (RS FR)

- Brian Robison (JR)

- Tim Crowder (JR)

- Henry Melton (FR) - also got carries at RB

- Aaron Lewis (FR)

Linebacker 

- Robert Killebrew (SO)

- Aaron Harris (SR)

- Rashad Bobino (RS FR)

- Roddrick Muckelroy (FR)

- Drew Kelson (SO) - hybrid LB/Safety at this time

- Scott Derry (SO)

Cornerback

- Cedric Griffin (SR)

- Aaron Ross (JR)

- Tarell Brown (JR)

- Ryan Palmer (RS FR)

- Brandon Foster (SO)

D-B-U. 

Safety

- Michael Griffin (JR)

- Michael Huff (SR)

- Marcus Griffin (SO)

Kicker/Punter

- Richmond McGee (SR)

- David Pino (SR)

- Ryan Bailey (FR) 

2023 is extremely talented and I would say if is the most talented team since 08.

Edited by lilMAC25
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, ramirezut said:

To hell with comparing them to the ‘05 Longhorns. They are not even sniffing the ‘10 team right now.

The 2010 team stunk worse than trout left in a playmate cooler in the trunk of a 2004 Dodge Neon for two weeks . Nobody should be sniffing the 2010 team if they know what's good for them .

1 minute ago, lilMAC25 said:

It’s no where close.

2005 had

Quarterback 

- Vince Young (JR)

- Matt Nordgren (SR)

Running Back

- Jamaal Charles (FR)

- Romance Taylor (SO)

- Selvin Young (JR)

- Ahmard Hall (SR)

- Antwaun Hobbs (JR)

Wide Receiver

- Quan Cosby (FR)

- Limas Sweed (SO)

- Billy Pittman (SO)

- Brian Carter (SR)

- Nate Jones (SO)

-

Tight End

- David Thomas (SR)

Offensive Line

- Justin Blalock (JR)

- Kasey Studdard (JR)

- Lyle Sendlein (JR)

- Jonathan Scott (SR)

- Tony Hills (SO)

- Will Allen (SR)

- Cedric Dockery (RS FR)

- Chris Hall (FR)

- Charlie Tanner (FR)

Defensive Tackle

- Frank Okam (SO)

- Rod Wright (SR)

- Roy Miller (FR)

- Larry Dibbles (SR)

- Derek Lokey (SO)

Defensive End

- Brian Orakpo (RS FR)

- Brian Robison (JR)

- Tim Crowder (JR)

- Aaron Lewis (FR)

Linebacker 

- Robert Killebrew (SO)

- Aaron Harris (SR)

- Rashad Bobino (RS FR)

- Scott Derry (SO)

Cornerback

- Cedric Griffin (SR)

- Aaron Ross (JR)

- Tarell Brown (JR)

- Ryan Palmer (RS FR)

- Brandon Foster (SO)

D-B-U. 

Safety

- Michael Griffin (JR)

- Michael Huff (SR)

- Marcus Griffin (SO)

Kicker/Punter

- Richmond McGee (SR)

- David Pino (SR)

- Ryan Bailey (FR) 

2005 also has 20/20 hindsight....we will see I guess. 

48 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

The words "nowhere close" would imply there are like 10 NFL guys on this roster....there are a lot more than 10 NFL guys on this roster.  

I don’t think that’s what it implies. I don’t think you really understand how elite the talent level on the 05 team was across the board.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I know some of you have never played football before, and the expectation is that WRs are supposed to catch everything thrown their way, but when you take reps from your QB all week long and then the game comes and his ball placement is completely different it throws you off. Being that everyone is "dropping" passes I think that is part of the issue here. 

Sorry, but this is bullshit. If it is within your catch radius, you should catch it. Ball placement is more for run after catch than the receiver pulling in passes. The pass to AD Mitchell was the only "drop" that was justifiable, and Quinn had to push the ball wider to avoid the dropping linebacker and not get AD killed on the crossing route.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Hook 'Em 1

12 hours ago, Goredho said:

You could look at this game as imposterously  strong team plays down to competition and flirts with disaster.  Or you could look at this game as a gutsy win where key players turned it on in the 4th quarter to seal a victory in an emotional letdown weak.  I think the latter is more accurate.

+rep for imposterously

15 minutes ago, hobbes2702 said:

I don’t think that’s what it implies. I don’t think you really understand how elite the talent level on the 05 team was across the board.

which is hard to believe because we had to beat Alexander's Macedonian army to win the NC.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

It’s no where close.

2005 had

Quarterback 

- Vince Young (JR)

- Matt Nordgren (SR)

Running Back

- Jamaal Charles (FR)

- Romance Taylor (SO)

- Selvin Young (JR)

- Ahmard Hall (SR)

- Antwaun Hobbs (JR)

Wide Receiver

- Quan Cosby (FR)

- Limas Sweed (SO)

- Billy Pittman (SO)

- Brian Carter (SR)

- Nate Jones (SO)

-

Tight End

- David Thomas (SR)

Offensive Line

- Justin Blalock (JR)

- Kasey Studdard (JR)

- Lyle Sendlein (JR)

- Jonathan Scott (SR)

- Tony Hills (SO)

- Will Allen (SR)

- Cedric Dockery (RS FR)

- Chris Hall (FR)

- Charlie Tanner (FR)

Defensive Tackle

- Frank Okam (SO)

- Rod Wright (SR)

- Roy Miller (FR)

- Larry Dibbles (SR)

- Derek Lokey (SO)

Defensive End

- Brian Orakpo (RS FR)

- Brian Robison (JR)

- Tim Crowder (JR)

- Aaron Lewis (FR)

Linebacker 

- Robert Killebrew (SO)

- Aaron Harris (SR)

- Rashad Bobino (RS FR)

- Scott Derry (SO)

Cornerback

- Cedric Griffin (SR)

- Aaron Ross (JR)

- Tarell Brown (JR)

- Ryan Palmer (RS FR)

- Brandon Foster (SO)

D-B-U. 

Safety

- Michael Griffin (JR)

- Michael Huff (SR)

- Marcus Griffin (SO)

Kicker/Punter

- Richmond McGee (SR)

- David Pino (SR)

- Ryan Bailey (FR) 

2023 is extremely talented and I would say if is the most talented team since 08.

Somewhere on surly is a thread in the last few weeks where this team was compared to 2005. 2005 was exceptional. 

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

I will say not sure I am quite as enthused as the OP but we played with our food for 3Qs and then raped, burned and pillaged when we had to.  That very fact alone is quite the change from the recent past when even if we had won that it would have been some Siideshow Bob FG with 15 seconds left to break a tie or OT or some shit like that.   

I would prefer we not play with our food but it seems to be what college football teams do a few times a year. 

More like Sark played with his fucking steak for three quarters, risking it might get cold before scarfing it down. He's the one who apparently didn't take Wyoming seriously. We saw last week what he can do when he puts his mind to it, but last night....

The play calling in the first half was abysmal. You gotta tenderize their front line early on with a decent running attack, which we have, but which wasn't being used... not to mention tenderize their cornerbacks with some pulling guards. It looked to me like Wyoming was throwing the kitchen sink at Ewers, and Sark didn't help him out with better calls. More play action, please.

I really like watching Worthy with the ball, and him returning punts is a kick, so to speak, but there's a reason nobody uses their top receivers and running backs to field punts - because sooner or later they're gonna get injured. Worthy is far too valuable to this team as a reciever. He is a speed demon that relies on perfect coordination and agility. You don't want to see him get dinged up, because such problems will compound faster in such a lightweight package.

Not as sky high on the season as I was Saturday morning, but if Sark can get his act together, and at this point it apears to be a big if, we could find ourselves playing for a National Championship.

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, DFW Horn said:

So does the MWC absorb Wazzu and OSU or do they re-brand the new league PAC - whatever?

Maybe?   There is a lot of money on the table,  though,  for those two schools to keep the league together as a 2 team league for a couple years,  which they supposedly can do under ncaa rules. Not sure how it will shake out. 

But I wouldn't be surprised to actually see the pac name survive with those two and several mwc schools while the cast offs are permanently fucked. 

7 minutes ago, Vermin said:

Y'all need to not internalize that the '05 team is not what it takes to win a natty. That was one of the best teams in CFB history, many worse teams have won a NC.

Well, we did win against a team that had won the previous two NCs, with the same QB. Think we surprised a few people.

13 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Maybe I’ve been jaded by the last 13 seasons, but when I see talented players fail to execute, it’s hard not to blame the coach.

Sarks job is way more than play calling 

Consider that most of the team completely out-talented guys in HS, and never had to be "coached up" to perform at a high level. They will make mistakes, learn, and get better. Ant Hill, for example, will be a great player at Texas, but he will make obvious mistakes.  Sark is not responsible for the mistakes, he is responsible for coaching it out of him.

Hayden Conner's false start on play 1 is not on Sark; poor Hayden can't play OL with his head up his ass.  Sark did not throw a bad pass last night, or drop any passes. He did call the game, and that is squarely on him.   

Perhaps the best way to get guys into the game early was to get physical early. We stubbed our toe big time out of the gate, and it got worse.

Other than the busted long run for a TD, the defense played solid.  Too many hungry guys there, they will be ok.

Much more important to finish the games strong.  The team will be okay. 

Now for some of our weather-vane fans ...

• Hook 'Em 3

It may be part timing too. QE throws it a bit hot and let’s it fly early on occasion as well. If it’s earlier than expected, off a bit and coming quick, that makes catching it a little more difficult.

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I watched OU for two quarters yesterday. They are not very good. Their tackling still sucks, and they run the score up on weak teams and keep bombing away in the 4th quarter. Gabriel is limited as a passer, and if they don't out talent teams they are going to have a very hard time.

Wasn’t he 29/32 or something?   That seems good against air.   Did not see the game, glad to hear the stats are inflated.  

1 minute ago, nbmishoid said:

Wasn’t he 29/32 or something?   That seems good against air.   Did not see the game, glad to hear the stats are inflated.  

Tulsa was awful on defense and they didnt really adjust. It would be like if we went 5 wides against an FCS school all game.

40 minutes ago, EuroHorn said:

This team feels a lot like last year’s team.  Except we beat Alabama this year who seems to be struggling.  Dropped passes and Ewers being inconsistent will make each game tough.  

This is insane. The line play on both sides of the ball is better and the defense overall I feel is light years better at getting off the field on third down 

• Hook 'Em 9

14 hours ago, bigcigar said:

Fortunately for sark, the big 12 is absolute trash this year. OU might be the toughest game on the schedule and only fringe ranked team

If you projected Texas' first half performance against Rice, were we trash this season? In particular the OL but also Ewers. They managed to get it together the second week, and relapse some last night.

Point being, other teams can improve as the season progresses with quite a bit left to go. OU trounced their opponent this week. Might be a bit premature to call the Big 12 trash.

2 hours ago, SarkAfterDark said:

I played receiver, got some skins on the wall, and I don't know what you're talking about. I also don't get your special knowledge of practice passes vs game passes -- are you going to practices?

1 hour ago, EuroHorn said:

This team feels a lot like last year’s team.  Except we beat Alabama this year who seems to be struggling.  Dropped passes and Ewers being inconsistent will make each game tough.  

Last year's team would have needed help to put Wyoming away last night if they did. This was first tight game in years where I thought we'll just find a way to win this instead of how are we going to blow this.

Edited by MonkeyDoughnut
  • Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to This team is scary good