This team is scary good

ztejas

One of the things that hurt us in 09 was Mack not getting Gilbert in more games for experience under fire.  I guess he was playing McCoy so much to help him get a Heisman.  

I like the fact we are seeing Bush, Taafe and other non starters in the rotation.  This game like Rice had the feel of a scrimmage, like someone said above.  First half was a lot of trying out different personnel in different packages, plays.    Then in the second half, they quit experimenting and pinned their ears back.  Like a cat playing with a mouse, then getting to the kill part.

I see that working for us, because you never know who is going to go down to injury, even short term.  Nice to have level 2 with experience beyond mop up.  Good to have these guys on game film for teaching purposes.   Makes it almost sound like our staff wants to develop players and leaders.  

• Hook 'Em 2

On 9/17/2023 at 8:47 AM, Bullneck said:

Overthrown balls.  Passes bouncing off receivers hands.  Playcalling that makes one wonder.

You know, there may be a connection there. If the balls aren’t overthrown and the passes don’t bounce off receivers hands, suddenly the play calling is genius. Most playcalling looks bad when execution looks bad.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

One of the things that hurt us in 09 was Mack not getting Gilbert in more games for experience under fire.  I guess he was playing McCoy so much to help him get a Heisman.  

Glad you brought that up. Unfucking unforgivable that you don't give your backup qb some decent playing time when you have a comfortable lead. We didn't need much to win that Alabama game in 09. One or two completions, as I recall.

• ztejas changed the title to This is a scary good football team
3 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

How many times have both Texas and ou been undefeated going in to dallas

I thought the last time was 2008, but see it happened in 2011 too.

it’s always one of the more surprising stats to me how few times it’s happened.

I’d like to think that’s it’s because unlike many of the soon to be SEC brethren they both play good early games. But also they tend to not be good at the same time for certain years as well.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Sleep off ugly said:

I’d like to think that’s it’s because unlike many of the soon to be SEC brethren they both play good early games. But also they tend to not be good at the same time for certain years as well.

Right

It’s both of these.

but then I contrast it to scUM/tOSU who both seem to be undefeated on thanksgiving weekend every other year and it’s just bizarre/no excuse 

2 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

Right

It’s both of these.

but then I contrast it to scUM/tOSU who both seem to be undefeated on thanksgiving weekend every other year and it’s just bizarre/no excuse 

Truth, but who’s been a perennial power in the B10 and do they play anybody decent outside the conference (ND this year as an exception)? Serious question.

22 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Lots of impressive things about this team, but maybe the most impressive is how much better the average player is today vs the average player 3 years ago.  Especially on the lines. It’s a fucking stark difference.

Do you mean... it's a SARK difference?

Edited by Xcalibur
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, Vermin said:

This year we have a damn good shot at a title.

The defense is very good.

A crazy good TE is rare for any team and a major asset.

The competition is soft.

Still feels a little like TCU 2022 but they didn’t have a non conference win like we did in Bama (but I also think bama will also have at least 2 if not 3 conference losses before it’s all said and done)

35 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Lots of impressive things about this team, but maybe the most impressive is how much better the average player is today vs the average player 3 years ago.  Especially on the lines. It’s a fucking stark difference.

This is the least shocking news ever. 

1) We went from Warehime who was recently fired as the OC at New Mexico and is now coaching at CCU to Kyle Flood who was producing dominant lines at Alabama. 

2) We went from Giles who is coaching at Wyoming to Bo Davis who was coaching in the NFL and had success at Alabama. 

This is why Herman ultimately failed. He hired a bunch of UH wannabees on his staff. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, UTexasFight said:

Still feels a little like TCU 2022 but they didn’t have a non conference win like we did in Bama (but I also think bama will also have at least 2 if not 3 conference losses before it’s all said and done)

This team is so much better than that collection of fucking frauds.

Go get '22 Georgia to line up. I bet we don't lose by 50.

• Hook 'Em 4

TCU had a horseshoe falling out their ass week after week. We've yet to play a complete game without such luck.
  • Hook 'Em 2

I'm starting to believe this. Let's kick Kansas's ass and then I will be fully on board. The defense is legitimate. PK is finally doing what I had hope he would do on defense when he was hired. This is what Washington would do to teams. We have no excuse to not win the games on our schedule. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

1 minute ago, mdmost said:

I'm starting to believe this. Let's kick Kansas's ass and then I will be fully on board. The defense is legitimate. PK is finally doing what I had hope he would do on defense when he was hired. This is what Washington would do to teams. We have no excuse to not win the games on our schedule. 

This defense is our most dominant since 2005.  Not saying they are as good, but they are more dominant than any other D since then.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Biff Tannen said:

This defense is our most dominant since 2005.  Not saying they are as good, but they are more dominant than any other D since then.

We still give up the cheap long pass or run. Once that is tightened up, the sky is the limit with this defense. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• ztejas changed the title to I'm not worried about Kansas
9 minutes ago, Biff Tannen said:

Uh, 08/09 defense beat teams up and won games.

hell, 2010 defense is the only reason we fucking won any games that year.

• Hook 'Em 1

• immamac changed the title to This team is scary good