This team is scary good

ztejas

Just now, cabowabo said:

Tap the brakes bro. 

Nope. Not going to. Sark expects them to be great I'm going to do the same. This team can be really, really fucking good in a way we haven't seen in awhile.

Let's see it happen for once. We've sure as shit waited long enough. 

• Hook 'Em 4

The 5 minutes they played well in the 4th shows talent level. Unfortunately, we don’t have a coach that can get that out of them for a full game. Hell, he couldn’t even get it out of them against Bama for a full game. 

Fortunately for sark, the big 12 is absolute trash this year. OU might be the toughest game on the schedule and only fringe ranked team

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 6

I will say not sure I am quite as enthused as the OP but we played with our food for 3Qs and then raped, burned and pillaged when we had to.  That very fact alone is quite the change from the recent past when even if we had won that it would have been some Siideshow Bob FG with 15 seconds left to break a tie or OT or some shit like that.   

I would prefer we not play with our food but it seems to be what college football teams do a few times a year. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I will say not sure I am quite as enthused as the OP but we played with our food for 3Qs and then raped, burned and pillaged when we had to.  That very fact alone is quite the change from the recent past when even if we had won that it would have been some Siideshow Bob FG with 15 seconds left to break a tie or OT or some shit like that.   

I would prefer we not play with our food but it seems to be what college football teams do a few times a year. 

I think if you were my age you'd be as jacked and if I was you're age I'd be as hesitant. Not that I haven't been whipped over the head the past 14 years like the rest of you. 

I really like this team. There's just something different about them. Maybe that's just them being good for a change. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Wilcox Cummingtonite said:

This team loses 45-17 to 2005 Texas.

No offense to them.

Yeah, that 2005 team was probably the best Texas team I've ever seen in my lifetime up to this point.

It does feel like things are trending the right way again.  I think this team has a lot of potential, and if Sark keeps hauling in top-shelf croots and some quality transfer portal pieces, we may reach a point where we see a team close to on par with the 2005 team.  But we're not there yet.

The defense and special teams have been great for three straight games. The offense has a few good quarters and that is all it has needed to do to win.

The question is will the defense and special teams be consistently good all year. And can the offense cut down the three and outs and drops and mistakes that hold it back.

We'll see. Time for what is probably our last trip to the Toilet Bowl on the Brazos. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bigcigar said:

I like this team too. Absurdly talented. Not scary good. Scary good doesn’t lead the country in drops.

If you liked them like I do you wouldn't have such an issue with what I posted. 

Doubt these guys at your own risk. We might have some dudes that are actually about it for the first time in awhile. 

You could look at this game as imposterously  strong team plays down to competition and flirts with disaster.  Or you could look at this game as a gutsy win where key players turned it on in the 4th quarter to seal a victory in an emotional letdown weak.  I think the latter is more accurate.

• Hook 'Em 5

• ztejas changed the title to This is a scary good football team (but)

FSU, Michigan, and Georgia also had shitty games today. It's a wash. I know I liked this team a lot going into the season and my mind hasn't changed. I actually think this team is more talented than the 05 team overall except at qb obviously, and it will play out like that in the draft. If you put VY on this team I would put all my money on them winning the national championship, not that I think Quinn is a scrub or anything. 

• Hook 'Em 2

As ugly as that game was we didn’t have Baxter, even though brooks played a hell of a game. I don’t know how to get Quinn and worthy off these early game don’t give a damn looks that happen in random games.  I’m just waiting for someone to say-well bama almost lost today so maybe they aren’t that good so we suck. Lol we turned a nail biter into a blowout real quick-be happy. 

I’m not quite there yet.   I think ou can give us fits.  Hell I think there’s a chance every team remaining can make things ugly in some way for us.  

Bohl is a great coach and did a great job in slowing our horses down.  Imagine  running a 4 x 100 relay but on a spartan course.  Bohl made us play his game. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, BERT said:

True but you were saying Sark can’t coach a full game and then blame the players for dropping passes. It’s not Sarks fault they dropped passes. He called a great game last week. 

There was nothing wrong with 90% of his calls tonight if people would catch the damn ball and Quinn would stop over throwing people. His play calling hasn’t been the issue this year. Some of y’all just want to put it all on him just because y’all don’t like the guy as the head coach. 

Should he have run the ball more in the first half, probably so. But it’s almost like he treated this game and the Rice game as “pre season” games to work on thing in the first half. Then in the second half call plays he knew would work. Hopefully he cuts that shit out in conference play. We’ll see 

Maybe I’ve been jaded by the last 13 seasons, but when I see talented players fail to execute, it’s hard not to blame the coach.

Even with 13 years of shit, Texas still has over 30 players in the NFL. Go check out all the teams that have been beating us in big 12 play - most are not close. Sarks job is way more than play calling 

12 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

I like what we can demonstrate in flashes, but we don’t have that “dominant” team consistency yet. 

Either way, we should get through some conference games before we proclaim that we’re “scary” good.

We're in the worst conference so that's nice.

Wyoming and Rice beat up on big12 teams

Bama - even if they are somewhat flawed - would THROTTLE every other big12 team in Tuscaloosa

• Hook 'Em 2

Not sure I’d use the term scary good but they’re obviously the best team in the conference when playing their A game.

They’re also obviously going to take a few rather frustrating losses in conference play given their penchant for inconsistency while getting everyone’s best shot.

• immamac changed the title to This team is scary good