This team is scary good

ztejas

4 minutes ago, ousux said:
9 minutes ago, Pancho said:
IT’s early, but we fell out of nearly every ESPN writers (about 15 of them) CFP Final Four. Heather Dinich is the only one that still has us in. 

Which of the top 4 had a better week 3?

I mean, yeah, I agree with you. 

I also think FSU loses next week at Clemson. 

1 minute ago, Stunns38 said:

We have scary good potential. Can Sark maximize it is the question. I trust PK and the D to be top ten in the nation all season minus any major injuries.

Right here with you. I think Sark is killing it, honestly. I think he is struggling with a previously identified QB that isn't always giving him what he wants. 

Arch can save this program. I don't want him to feel like he has to. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

Sark better start running to set up the pass instead of the opposite or we’re going to look like shit a lot more this season.

When he started running first, that’s when things came together for us.

The thing is the total opposite worked in the 2nd half against Bama. We started torching them downfield and that opened up the running game in the 4th quarter. 

For whatever reason, Texas hasn't been able to find an offensive rhythm in the 1st half against anybody. 

• Hook 'Em 2

The thing is the total opposite worked in the 2nd half against Bama. We started torching them downfield and that opened up the running game in the 4th quarter. 
For whatever reason, Texas hasn't been able to find an offensive rhythm in the 1st half against anybody. 
I'd much rather be on point for four full quarters, but if you give me a choice between being a first half team or second half, I'd choose the latter every time. I've seen the horns fade in the 3rd and 4th quarter far too many times over the past decade.
  • Hook 'Em 2

To the crybaby bitches: if you can't take a 21 point win against a bowl team without wetting the bed you should seek professional help.

The offense is a work in progress, just like every other offense in college football except perhaps USC. Dropped passes are the most fixable problem you can have.

Luckily there is no dominant team this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Not sure where to put this until somebody starts the Baylor thread but sounds like they will be without their leading rusher. We will see if Shapen is back at QB who has also been injured. 

They have some old school football fullback type player (Pendergrass) who played well against sisters of the poor. He's a smart between or off the tackles player. Takes good angles and actually has some speed. Texas needs to mind the gaps. I say this because of some of the Alabama and Wyoming issues Texas would have off tackle. Wyoming Oline was very good early at being two yards down field about a half second after the ball was snapped. I don't think Baylor's o-line will be as good as Wyoming's. However, Richardson out isn't as big of a deficit as it appears.

Edited by Newdoc

8 hours ago, Horn Dogg said:

The 2005 team was scary good.  This team is not at that level, but I wouldn’t complain if they got there.

Anyone remember the 05 game against Kansas? I don’t know if this team will be better than good or great..  but quality teams do this annually. Winning ALL of them IS hard. Tom Herman didn’t say it right. 

• Hook 'Em 3

8 hours ago, BERT said:

True but you were saying Sark can’t coach a full game and then blame the players for dropping passes. It’s not Sarks fault they dropped passes. He called a great game last week. 

There was nothing wrong with 90% of his calls tonight if people would catch the damn ball and Quinn would stop over throwing people. His play calling hasn’t been the issue this year. Some of y’all just want to put it all on him just because y’all don’t like the guy as the head coach. 

Should he have run the ball more in the first half, probably so. But it’s almost like he treated this game and the Rice game as “pre season” games to work on thing in the first half. Then in the second half call plays he knew would work. Hopefully he cuts that shit out in conference play. We’ll see 

Two of our good drives featuring the run started with a screen pass to the sideline, well executed.

At least one of our fail drives started with an unsuccessful screen pass that put us behind the chains.

Other than that, I think there was one drive after a three-and-out that we started with a longer pass, unsuccessful.  One of those scenarios when you try to go big after getting the ball back.

I'm not sure the run was really there until we were credible with the pass.

This is not the time for high optimism or extreme pessimism about this team.

They have a ton of talent, show flashes of greatness, but the offense is very frustrating at times. There needs to be an indication that Sark can field a consistent offense because so far over the first two plus years he hasn’t shown he can do that. 

• Hook 'Em 3

12 minutes ago, Bobby Layne said:

Anyone remember the 05 game against Kansas? I don’t know if this team will be better than good or great..  but quality teams do this annually. Winning ALL of them IS hard. Tom Herman didn’t say it right. 

Yes, Texas was winning 52-0 at halftime.

I’m with you. We’ve seen Yesterday happen plenty of times except we would’ve looked poorly coached, dumb flags, plays, missed tackles, dropped interceptions, missed field goals, score would’ve been a lot closer or even lost etc… you can say what you want about the coaching, I’m not saying he’s the greatest or anything close but it wasn’t bad.

If Quinn was more consistent and wr didn’t drop passes the score would’ve looked differently. Things that can be fixed. Will they, who knows. The run games is not that good. Really turned up the 4th. Imagine if we had bijan on this years team. Now that would be scary good.

The thing is, this team is acting like they’re Georgia, turning up when they have to, but they haven’t won anything so they can’t act like Georgia. Luckily for us the big xii is really really bad.

I do like that Quinn was trying to get everyone fired up. Say what you want about him but he’s a leader.

They are so close to putting it all together. Enjoy every win because we lose a lot of good players and next year will look different.

• Hook 'Em 1

i realize this is all in jest but this team drives me fucking nuts.  I dont understand how a team can get such an important road win get pushed right in to the national title talk and the very next week every god damn person on the team looks like it wants to be anywhere other than at a home game, in prime time with a chance to make a statement and they completely lay down.  i cant get my mind wrapped around it.  

• Hook 'Em 2

I think many on here feel angst bc ESPN and their asshole, aggy buddies and others chimed in about how "overrated" Bama is after a poor showing against USF.

Yeah, UT looked like stepped in shit the 1st Half. But, we got it done when it mattered so that's progress. Wyoming is a solid, well-coached team that should compete for a MWC title.

8 hours ago, Bevo14 said:

FSU, Michigan, and Georgia also had shitty games today. It's a wash. I know I liked this team a lot going into the season and my mind hasn't changed. I actually think this team is more talented than the 05 team overall except at qb obviously, and it will play out like that in the draft. If you put VY on this team I would put all my money on them winning the national championship, not that I think Quinn is a scrub or anything. 

This team is nowhere close to the talent level of 05. Come on guy

• Like 1

I think Quinn was putting too much pressure on himself to start the game and he was trying to be perfect. I loved what we saw in the 4th where he said "fuck it, let's go!" and went out there and blew the doors off of Wyoming.

I'm thinking and hoping that we saw ol Quinn figure it out last night.

In the last two weeks we've seen both of the Texas split personalities.

Mr. Hyde beat up on Alabama. Power and grace and excitement.  Long bombs, punishing sacks.

Last night Dr. Jeckyl was running the show for three quarters.  Overthrown balls.  Passes bouncing off receivers hands.  Playcalling that makes one wonder.  As someone in the game thread said, Ewers and another player lit into the team during a time out.  Then Mr. Hyde emerged again.

We saw last night's team over and over and over in the 2021 Exercise in Futility tour.  Forgive us for not quite believing at all times.  If the Bama hangover is over (i.e. we lead 21-0 at the end of the first quarter against Baylor) I'll settle in and start thinking we have something special.  If last night's first half Three Stooges show up next Saturday I'll know we're not quite there yet. 

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 3

Both Alabama and Texas were a little hungover after last week's game.  Lots of emotion, hype, etc.  Plus Saban got cute with his trash backup qbs. Reality is that about 1/3 of your games aren't going to be your standard.  Tbh, a little adversity and a tough game against a team you're favored against isn't the worst thing.  Georgia still hasn't played well this year and we're down more against South Carolina.  FSU should have lost to a shitty BC team.  Would you rather be Tennessee, who got run over by an offensive line led by Bama castoff Damien George and a Wisconsin reject graham mertz?  I'm pretty fucking stoked to be 3-0 at this time.  

The key is to make enough plays against bad teams to win when you aren't playing your best and to make sure you match up your a game with the times you need it most.  This team is young but I like the trajectory.  If they can't play consistently they'll drop a couple games but I'm optimistic this game, as much as Alabama, will be a great learning experience.   And we truly haven't played a dogshit team yet.  I expect we'll take care of business the next two weeks and roll into the cotton bowl 5-0.  Looking forward to watching this team beat the shit out of Baylor, who is more likely to get an a game 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, hobbes2702 said:

This team is nowhere close to the talent level of 05. Come on guy

I sort of disagree if talent level is the metric.  I think 2005 has a good edge mainly at this point on QB and DB but the idea it is "nowhere close" purely from a talent standpoint is a bit hyperbolic. 

Now maturity, consistency and killer instinct.....2005 wipes its nuts across this or any other Texas team of the past 40+ years.

Edited by Surly Bevo
  • Hook 'Em 2

• immamac changed the title to This team is scary good