As of today, how do you think you will vote in the midterm election 7/18? POLL

BNB

Midterm Poll  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote primarily Democrat, Republican, Other, or Undecided?

• Republican
    • Democrat
    • Other
    • Undecided

9 hours ago, HuskyJack said:

I'll probably end up voting for republicans for the simple fact almost every democrat running will be a "progressive" candidate.

Yes I'll probably end up making enemies no I don't care. 

Because FUCK PROGRESS!  Amirite?

On 7/5/2018 at 3:07 PM, Lobo said:

I still don't understand straight ticket voting. 

i have never been a fan and have never done it before......but if there was ever a case to be made for it, the 2018 elections would be it.

This current incarnation of the GOP up and down the board is unacceptable. Everyone of them is complicit if they willingly have an R behind their name.

On 7/7/2018 at 2:53 AM, HuskyJack said:

I'll probably end up voting for republicans for the simple fact almost every democrat running will be a "progressive" candidate.

Yes I'll probably end up making enemies no I don't care. 

Same here. I find the Republican Party wholly incompetent and repulsive. I find the Democrat alternative full of mentally ill imbeciles who’s ideology is rooted in abject failure.  I am repulsed by politics in general, but when push comes to shove I will take the ones who at least pretend like they’re not insane. 

I still cannot see where all the race/facism shit comes from. It’s now if you favor upholding immigration laws and kicking out the felons breaking our laws and if you’re someone who actually upholds your oath of office to make sure the laws are enforced, you’re a racist. It’s really a kindergarten argument. I don’t like the immigration laws. I absolutely want them enforced.  I absolutely want Congress and the president to work on a new immigration law.  THere is a right way to go about changing outdated law. Ignoring the law, failing to enforce it, failing to work on a new law, and calling people racists isn’t the way.  Off soap box and out of here. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

Same here. I find the Republican Party wholly incompetent and repulsive. I find the Democrat alternative full of mentally ill imbeciles who’s ideology is rooted in abject failure.  I am repulsed by politics in general, but when push comes to shove I will take the ones who at least pretend like they’re not insane. 

I still cannot see where all the race/facism shit comes from. It’s now if you favor upholding immigration laws and kicking out the felons breaking our laws and if you’re someone who actually upholds your oath of office to make sure the laws are enforced, you’re a racist. It’s really a kindergarten argument. I don’t like the immigration laws. I absolutely want them enforced.  I absolutely want Congress and the president to work on a new immigration law.  THere is a right way to go about changing outdated law. Ignoring the law, failing to enforce it, failing to work on a new law, and calling people racists isn’t the way.  Off soap box and out of here. 

The policy in the Obama presidency was when illegal aliens commit crimes they are sent back. Sounds like you agree with that.

The current ICE policy is not only illegal but downright Un-American. In January, 2018, my Hispanic contractor was followed by an ICE vehicle as he was leaving Home Depot in Austin headed to work. A few blocks from his destination 3 ICE vehicles stopped him and surrounded his vehicle. He was questioned about whether he was a United States citizen for 20 minutes. He was born in Austin, he gave them his birthday and told them he was born at Brackenridge, he had to give them his childhood address and they asked him to name all the schools he attended as a child. He of course was let go.

This kind of action is race profiling by police. This is the bullshit that Sheriff Arpaio did which is illegal. Fuck ICE.

Edited by Texas73
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

This is ironic because it's actually conservative ideology that is rooted in abject failure when it comes to economics.

This country does better when Democrats run the show.

1 hour ago, seven said:

So I guess pepper brooks is a racist 

It's disingenuous as hell to suggest that we have to separate and detain kids or else we're a country of lawlessness. There's no reason to do it other than wanting to be cruel, especially since it costs more to do this. 

1 hour ago, pepper brooks said:

I still cannot see where all the race/facism shit comes from. It’s now if you favor upholding immigration laws and kicking out the felons breaking our laws and if you’re someone who actually upholds your oath of office to make sure the laws are enforced, you’re a racist. It’s really a kindergarten argument. I don’t like the immigration laws. I absolutely want them enforced.  I absolutely want Congress and the president to work on a new immigration law.  THere is a right way to go about changing outdated law. Ignoring the law, failing to enforce it, failing to work on a new law, and calling people racists isn’t the way.

Do you think popular racism influences immigration law?

The problem I see is that there is no open text field on the ballot for you to supply your reason for your vote. So if everyone votes D to keep the govt balanced (which isn’t a terrible idea) the Democrats will crow that they have a mandate and clearly the whole country agrees with everything they want. I’m not sure how you solve for that.

• Like 1

This is ironic because it's actually conservative ideology that is rooted in abject failure when it comes to economics.
This country does better when Democrats run the show.

Do you mean economically? What do you think of the current economy?

The policy in the Obama presidency was when illegal aliens commit crimes they are sent back. Sounds like you agree with that.
The current ICE policy is not only illegal but downright Un-American. In January, 2018, my Hispanic contractor was followed by an ICE vehicle as he was leaving Home Depot in Austin headed to work. A few blocks from his destination 3 ICE vehicles stopped him and surrounded his vehicle. He was questioned about whether he was a United States citizen for 20 minutes. He was born in Austin, he gave them his birthday and told them he was born at Brackenridge, he had to give them his childhood address and they asked him to name all the schools he attended as a child. He of course was let go.
This kind of action is race profiling by police. This is the bullshit that Sheriff Arpaio did which is illegal. Fuck ICE.

My gawd WTF....straight bullshit.

You guys proving my point and why we will not have any decent solution. I welcome all immigrants here.  I simply want the laws followed and the ones that aren’t working I want changed according to the constitutionally mandated manner for changing them.  Meanwhile, pointing out that a nation of laws should act like a nation of laws gets you labeled a racist.  It’s no surprise we are horrible at nominating candidates, electing leaders or coming up with reasonable solutions to anything. 

Edited by pepper brooks
  • Like 1

If America really wanted to stop illegal immigration the focus would be on stopping the employers from hiring them. No work, they wouldn't make the journey.

If you're a business owner in many industries, you don't want the government to crack down on illegal immigration too much though because that's a really cheap source of labor. But you also don't want it to be too easy for them to become US citizens because then they get minimum wage / other benefits. 

Casting a wide net to catch a few and claim victory / scare white people is the best strategy. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

You guys proving my point and why we will not have any decent solution. I welcome all immigrants here.  I simply want the laws followed and henones they aren’t working I want changed according to the constitutionally mandated manner for changing them.  Meanwhile, pointing out that a nation of laws should act like a nation of laws gets you labeled a racist.  It’s nonsurprise we are horrible at nominating candidates, electing leaders or coming up with reasonable solutions to anything. 

You forgot to add that the war of northern aggression was all about the states rights to choose their own laws and how to enforce them. 

So unless some illegal immigrant has actually taken a job away from you, which I highly doubt, you’re really just full of shit with this “I just want to enforce the law” position. 

Read the post right after yours if you truly want to stop illegal immigration. Don’t allow the corporations to hire them that want the cheap labor. It’s that simple. Less brown people will cross. 

But do carrry on. 

29 minutes ago, pepper brooks said:

You guys proving my point and why we will not have any decent solution. I welcome all immigrants here.  I simply want the laws followed and henones they aren’t working I want changed according to the constitutionally mandated manner for changing them.  Meanwhile, pointing out that a nation of laws should act like a nation of laws gets you labeled a racist.  It’s nonsurprise we are horrible at nominating candidates, electing leaders or coming up with reasonable solutions to anything. 

If the laws are racist and you want them enforced anyway... yeah?

1 minute ago, bad_teammate said:

Separating families is a policy I don't agree with and would agree is targeted to Mexican and Central American illegal immigrants. What other immigration laws are racist though?

• Like 1

Guest Lobo

Serious question---if you request a one-party ballot straight ticket; what happens when you get to shit like City Council and ISD leadership...positions that have no party affiliation...does it queue you at the end to still scroll through?  And if so, and I know you won't admit to this, do most voters just still click "submit" or whatever and be on their way...or are you somehow digitally enticed to still scroll through a dozen or so local spots?  Honest question.  I've never gone straight ticket in Texas, I don't know.  Plus maybe I;m not even straight. 

Just now, RandomIdoit said:

Separating families is a policy I don't agree with and would agree is targeted to Mexican and Central American illegal immigrants. What other immigration laws are racist though?

Is separating families not enough for you? 

The free market likes poor people with a strong work ethic and especially likes it if they are a vulnerable population that can be prevented from getting too uppity and demanding things that hurt the bottom-line. The market also likes using them to negotiate/dictate lower wages or other concessions from non-marginalized groups.

You need to turn the powerless on the powerless.

Even when it's pointed out to folks, they still have a difficult time getting mad at rich, mostly white folks when it's easier - and culturally preferred to get mad at the poor, brown people. Float as many crime stories out there as possible committed by illegal immigrants to keep the narrative going.

3 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

I do not want separating families to be enforced. I do want all of if he other laws enforced.

Separating families wasn’t the law, it was trump policy, until images and sound came out that made trump look bad so he reversed his evil, disgusting, immoral trump policy yet still hasn’t reunited the families. So some 2 year old is wondering why his parents left him even though he was simply snatched away by the good old USA. Someone should tell him that his parents haven’t left him, that he’s just in the country with unfortunately currently a very evil leader in charge of it. 

1 minute ago, JimmyJames said:

Separating families wasn’t the law, it was trump policy, until images and sound came out that made trump look bad so he reversed his evil, disgusting, immoral trump policy yet still hasn’t reunited the families. So some 2 year old is wondering why his parents left him even though he was simply snatched away by the good old USA. Someone should tell him that his parents haven’t left him, that he’s just in the country with unfortunately currently a very evil leader in charge of it. 

So what does this have to do with saying that immigration laws are racist?

I already said this policy is awful and that I was against it. A judge ordered them to be returned and the people in charge of that are dragging their feet or saying they lost track of them. I said on another thread that this is being used as a deterrent and children are being returned if their parents agree to voluntary deportation. Not sure what you are trying to convince me of.

Guest Lobo
2 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It would also be cool if we had laws for conspiracy, fraud, graft, embezzlement, money laundering, espionage, and obstruction of justice  that could be enforced.

Do you honestly deep down inside believe that such laws don't exist?  Or are you asking a separate question about enforcement?  Dawna Dukes is a really fun cast study in both.

7 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

So what does this have to do with saying that immigration laws are racist?

I already said this policy is awful and that I was against it. A judge ordered them to be returned and the people in charge of that are dragging their feet or saying they lost track of them. I said on another thread that this is being used as a deterrent and children are being returned if their parents agree to voluntary deportation. Not sure what you are trying to convince me of.

After implimenting this what you have now agreed is an awful and in fact racist policy, tell us, do you still support trump? Will you be voting dem in November? 

4 minutes ago, JimmyJames said:

After implimenting this what you have now agreed is an awful and in fact racist policy, tell us, do you still support trump? Will you be voting dem in November? 

I support upholding the law and changing the laws that need to be changed. I didn't vote for Trump, and I'll vote on a case by case basis this November. If I don't agree with either, I will abstain.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Do other policies need to be racist to prove that the family separation one is racist?

Leaving aside the laws themselves, which are largely premised on nationalist/racist beliefs, the enforcement of immigration laws are undoubtedly racist in execution.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Do other policies need to be racist to prove that the family separation one is racist?

I think you are misunderstanding me, I don't need proof that separating families is racist. I need to know what laws are racist.

4 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Leaving aside the laws themselves, which are largely premised on nationalist/racist beliefs, the enforcement of immigration laws are undoubtedly racist in execution.

Do not agree.

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

It would also be cool if we had laws for conspiracy, fraud, graft, embezzlement, money laundering, espionage, and obstruction of justice  that could be enforced.

Well, but you see, most of those people are white.

6 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

I think you are misunderstanding me, I don't need proof that separating families is racist. I need to know what laws are racist.

I could not cite specific laws as being either racist or non-racist, because I've never read the codes themselves. I have no idea what you are getting at.

The policy to separate families is racist. The execution of it is extremely racist.

The policy of building a border wall is racist.

The level of militarization at the southern border is racist.

Many of the larger social and political concepts that undergird the supposed need to have a heavily defended border are racist.

Do not agree.

Honestly?

Gladys Monroy-Guerra de Tesucum and her two sons arrived in the United States from Guatemala on May 20. She said her cousin, a drug trafficker, had threatened to dismember her after she caught him raping his stepdaughter.

At the border, immigration authorities separated her from her sons, Adolfo, 16, and Elian, 11.

"In the dog kennel, ICE (agents) mocked our accents," she said. The agents "took away our jackets in the cold to wake us up, and they threw out our food before we were finished eating."

Monroy-Guerra recalled one of her first encounters with immigration agents.

One said, "We don't want you in our country," according to court documents.

Another asked, "Don't you know that we hate you people?"

1 hour ago, RandomIdoit said:

I support upholding the law and changing the laws that need to be changed. I didn't vote for Trump, and I'll vote on a case by case basis this November. If I don't agree with either, I will abstain.

Abstaining at this point just puts you in the Switzerland camp for WW2.  Pick a side and let's fucking rumble.  It's on.

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

I could not cite specific laws as being either racist or non-racist, because I've never read the codes themselves. I have no idea what you are getting at.

The policy to separate families is racist. The execution of it is extremely racist.

The policy of building a border wall is racist.

The level of militarization at the southern border is racist.

Many of the larger social and political concepts that undergird the supposed need to have a heavily defended border are racist.

You were the one who said the laws are racist. I just want to know HOW they are racist. Last time I checked the laws were the same for all non-citizens. 

3 minutes ago, bad_teammate said:

Honestly?

Gladys Monroy-Guerra de Tesucum and her two sons arrived in the United States from Guatemala on May 20. She said her cousin, a drug trafficker, had threatened to dismember her after she caught him raping his stepdaughter.

At the border, immigration authorities separated her from her sons, Adolfo, 16, and Elian, 11.

"In the dog kennel, ICE (agents) mocked our accents," she said. The agents "took away our jackets in the cold to wake us up, and they threw out our food before we were finished eating."

Monroy-Guerra recalled one of her first encounters with immigration agents.

One said, "We don't want you in our country," according to court documents.

Another asked, "Don't you know that we hate you people?"

Enforcing the laws is not racist. Choosing who to enforce them on and not enforce them on based on their race is. They need to enforce them equally on everyone (which I do not think they do, but believe they should).

Half way off topic but say we keep the failed war on drugs going as well so cartels have more power than their government down south creating more corruption and instability. When the poor flee, we get access to cheap labor + a boogeyman.

Bigger win is we can continue to lock up minorities here when they get out of line and keep the private prison system flourishing.  /sarcasm

1 hour ago, bad_teammate said:

Then I asked which laws are racist. I agreed separating families is targeted at Mexican and Central American immigrants is racist but as someone else pointed out, it's not actually a law. 

9 minutes ago, RandomIdoit said:

Then I asked which laws are racist. I agreed separating families is targeted at Mexican and Central American immigrants is racist but as someone else pointed out, it's not actually a law. 

You're pretty flexible.  Are you able to blow yourself?