As of today, how do you think you will vote in the midterm election 7/18? POLL

BNB

Midterm Poll  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote primarily Democrat, Republican, Other, or Undecided?

• Republican
    • Democrat
    • Other
    • Undecided

Guest Lobo

I still don't understand straight ticket voting.  You can't leave your house or get a coffee or pick your kids up at school without running into a half dozen people running for local courts and elections.

17 minutes ago, Lobo said:

I still don't understand straight ticket voting.  You can't leave your house or get a coffee or pick your kids up at school without running into a half dozen people running for local courts and elections.

There is no GOP, it's just Trump all the way down now. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lobo said:

You can if a) you don’t give one iota of fuck and ignore these people; or b) live in an area where nobody would consider running as a D, so that if you did happen to be friends with one of these people, hey, no sweat, they’re R. 

1 hour ago, longhorndude said:

Not sure if it will be straight party D, but probably at least 75%. And I’ve voted for a D exactly two times since I first voted in 2000.

I have heard these statements a lot in every election year since ‘02. I’m not doubting you individually, but there’s a lot of bombast in this thread. 

Having said that, I would concur that the Rs appear to be fucked nationwide and maybe even Cruz, which would be a huge statement. 

I have heard these statements a lot in every election year since ‘02. I’m not doubting you individually, but there’s a lot of bombast in this thread. 
Having said that, I would concur that the Rs appear to be fucked nationwide and maybe even Cruz, which would be a huge statement. 
I've voted for plenty of Democrats over the years, but only in state and local races (particularly judges as I reflexively vote against I'LL LOCK 'EM ALL UP candidates). If O'Rourke stays close to Cruz then that will be my first vote for a Democrat in a national race that I can recall.

Meh….people being fed up with a certain party in power is no big deal.  If I randomly (lol) pick the 104th congress as a starting point it appears that the voters get Lefty fatigue much faster than Righty fatigue.

Pub Control of both houses: 7 times / 14 years (104th, 105th, 106th, 108th, 109th, 114th, & 115th)

Dem Control of both houses: 2 times / 4 years (110th & 111th)

Split: 3 times / 6 years (107th, 112th, & 113th)

Pub Control & POTUS: 3 times / 6 years

Deb Control & POTUS: 1 time / 2 years

The dems look like a great alternative until that freak show actually gets in charge. 

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 2

7 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Oh good a how many crocks of shit can you find puzzle.

1.  Democrats believe that cooperation is better than conflict, unity is better than division, empowerment is better than resentment, and bridges are better than walls.

It's a simple but powerful idea: we are stronger together.

2. where every child can live up to his or her God-given potential. (To be fair this line is a crock of shit no matter what political party uses it.  Every child is never going to live up to his or her God given potential unless that optimum potential levels off at the category of fuck up.)

3.  We firmly believe that the greed, recklessness, and illegal behavior on Wall Street must be brought to an end. Wall Street must never again be allowed to threaten families and businesses on Main Street.  (Who did the Democrat Party nominate for president in 2016?  Of course technically there is nothing in the platform about greed, recklessness, and illegal behavior in Washington D.C. or anyplace else not on Wall Street.)

4. Democrats believe that climate change poses a real and urgent threat to our economy, our national security, and our children's health and futures, and that Americans deserve the jobs and security that come from becoming the clean energy superpower of the 21st century.   (Who gives a shit?  I'm voting for members of Congress and state legislators.  I'm not voting for the mayor of Berkeley.  Voters don't give a shit about climate change when it comes to national elections and national politics.)

5.  Democrats believe we are stronger and safer when America brings the world together and leads with principle and purpose. We believe we should strengthen our alliances, not weaken them. We believe in the power of development and diplomacy. We believe our military should be the best-trained, best-equipped fighting force in the world, and that we must do everything we can to honor and support our veterans.   (Then explain why every Democrat is so damn concerned about the treatment of illegal immigrants at the border but I have not heard one Democrat mouthpiece--Pelosi, Schumer, Schitz, Waters, Sanders, etc. utter one peep about the thousands of homeless veterans across the nation.)

6.  Above all, Democrats are the party of inclusion. We know that diversity is not our problem—it is our promise. As Democrats, we respect differences of perspective and belief, and pledge to work together to move this country forward, even when we disagree. With this platform, we do not merely seek common ground—we strive to reach higher ground.  (  There are over 325 million examples of diversity in this country today.  This is not a problem.  And if it was the party that doesn't believe diversity exists unless every single person in America believes exactly like they do on every political issue is not going to solve it.)

7.  Democrats believe that the current minimum wage is a starvation wage and must be increased to a living wage. No one who works full time should have to raise a family in poverty. We believe that Americans should earn at least $15 an hour and have the right to form or join a union and will work in every way we can—in Congress and the federal government, in states and with the private sector—to reach this goal.

(You can't create something without also creating a cost of that something.  This also applies to the moronic notions of free housing for all, free college educations for all, free health care for all, and free anything else you can think of for all.  The only people who have free housing are the homeless and the children that have not been kicked out of mommy and daddy's house yet.  Your labor is worth exactly what you and your employer agree to compensate you for it, nothing more and nothing less.  Labor is a good and that rule applies to all goods.  The value of a good is exactly what the buyer and seller agree the value of it is, not what some idiot in Congress thinks the value of it should be.  That is how markets work.  The job market is, well the name is self-explanatory.  Forced government manipulation of the labor market works as well as forced government manipulation of any other market.)

8.  All the Democratic claptrap about unions.   (The following section of the platform provides such an honest and brutal motive to their concerns that I am surprised it has not been removed.)  "We will continue to vigorously oppose those laws and other efforts that would ...restrict the use of voluntary membership payments for political purposes..."  (How dare you even think of drying up our political slush funds.)

9.  While Donald Trump thinks it is "dangerous" for women to leave the home   ( Unless they are leaving home to become Ambassador to the U.N., head of the Department of Education, CIA Director, White House press secretary,  a general in the Marines, possibly a justice in the Supreme Court etc.)

10.  Democrats believe that we should provide more federal resources to the people struggling most with unaffordable housing: low-income families, people with disabilities, veterans, and the elderly.  (Now believing in explaining to anyone where the money for these federal resources is going to come from is another story.)

11.  We will engage in a stronger, more coordinated, and better funded partnership among federal, state, and local governments to end chronic homelessness for millions of Americans. 

(A more coordinated partnership among federal, state, and local governments has never ended anything in America other than those better funds.)

12.  The United States Postal Service (USPS) is a national treasure. That is why Democrats embrace a vibrant, public Postal Service that offers universal service, and reject any effort to privatize or marginalize it.   (The Post Office is part your platform?  Were you thinking we really need an issue even fewer people care about than climate change?)

13.  Democrats know that nothing is more important than creating good-paying jobs that can support a middle-class life—from nurses, firefighters, and teachers to construction workers, factory workers, and small business owners. That is why we are committed to doing everything we can to build a full-employment economy, where everyone has a job that pays enough to raise a family and live in dignity with a sense of purpose.  (Trump is busy checking this one of for you.  Look at the bright side, when you remove it from your platform it will be that fewer trees needed to make a print out of your platform.)

14.   We will address the backlog of deferred maintenance in our four key public land management agencies.   (We will address the deficiencies of our federal government by having the federal government fix the deficiencies of the federal government.  Good plan, I wonder why the post office and Amtrak never thought of it.)

15.  Democrats will also create an independent, national infrastructure bank that will support critical infrastructure improvements  ( Oh good a bank created specifically for governments and politicians,  no downside to this idea at all.  This is like creating a still for alcoholics.)

16.  Fostering a Manufacturing Renaissance  (Trump is checking this one off for you too.  Even less trees, yeah!  See we conservatives can care about the environment.)

17.  . We will nurture the next generation of scientists, engineers, and entrepreneurs, especially women and people of color, to make sure America continues to out-compete and out-innovate the rest of the world with our bold innovation agenda. (If these women and people of color are capable of making sure America continues to out-compete and out-innovate the rest of the world why do they need nurturing?  What makes innovators innovators are that they nurture themselves.  The only thing government is capable of nurturing is more government.)

18.   Pushing beyond the boundaries of what we know is core to who we are as Americans. Democrats are immensely proud of all that the National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA) has done—through its achievements in science, technology and exploration—to better understand our place in the universe and inspire and educate generations of young people in this country to pursue careers in science. Space exploration is a reminder that our capacity for curiosity is limitless, and may be matched only by our ability to achieve great things if we work together. Democrats believe in continuing the spirit of discovery that has animated NASA's exploration of space over the last half century. We will strengthen support for NASA and work in partnership with the international scientific community to launch new missions to space.  (And exactly how is this any different from Trump's position on NASA?)

19.  The Democratic Party will make it easier to start and grow a small business in America, unlike Donald Trump, who has often stiffed small businesses—nearly bankrupting some—with his deceptive and reckless corporate practices. By supporting small business and entrepreneurship, we can grow jobs faster in America. We will cut the red tape that holds back small businesses and entrepreneurs.  (Oh please, the party of government regulation, especially in regards to business and commerce is inserting government deregulation of small business in its platform?  This is like Republicans promising to cut defense spending.)

20.  That is why Democrats will provide direct federal funding for a range of local programs that will put young people to work and create new career opportunities.  (Particularly new career opportunities in procuring federal funding.)

21.  Reining in Wall Street and Fixing our Financial System  (cue the P.J. O'Rourke quote about what happens when legislators are put in charge of what is bought and sold.)

22.  Democrats will fight to end institutional and systemic racism in our society. (Done already, Civil Rights Act of 1964 out front should have told you.  If your country just finished electing an African-American for two terms as president your country does not have institutional and systemic racism, there may still be racism but it is not a function of the government and society as a whole.)

23.  Democrats believe it is long past time to close this racial wealth gap. Disparities in wealth cannot be solved by the free market alone, but instead, the federal government must play a role in eliminating systemic barriers to wealth accumulation for different racial groups and improving opportunities for people from all racial and ethnic backgrounds to build wealth. Federal policies must remove barriers to achieving sustainable homeownership, provide for greater diversity in federal and state contracting practices, incentivize and expand access to retirement investment programs, increase opportunities for quality jobs and education, and challenge the deeply rooted structures that perpetuate and exacerbate current disparities and ultimately stagnate the nation's economic growth and security.  (See above about government manipulating markets.)

24.  Research and evidence, rather than slogans and sound bites, must guide criminal justice policies.  (Insert snarky Hands Up Don't Shoot comment here.)

25.  We will abolish the death penalty, which has proven to be a cruel and unusual form of punishment.   (So is watching Congress on C-SPAN.  No one is throwing the idea of pulling the plug on that around.)

26.  The Democratic Party supports legal immigration, within reasonable limits, that meets the needs of families, communities, and the economy as well as maintains the United States' role as a beacon of hope for people seeking safety, freedom, and security  (And most importantly meets the needs of Democrat voting rolls.)

27.  We will promote best practices among local law enforcement, in terms of how they collaborate with federal authorities,  (Pretty sloppy editing here, you expect me to believe that no one involved in drafting this platform knows how to spell if?  Here's a hint it's a two letter word and none of the letters are h, o, or w.)

28.  We will work to ensure that all Americans—regardless of immigration status—have access to quality health care.   (Excuse me, but if they aren't American citizens or naturalized, they are not Americans.  I can't wade out of the Atlantic Ocean, walk onto the beaches at Normandy and declare myself to be French.  That's not how it works.)

29.  we must condemn hate speech that creates a fertile climate for violence.  (Unless that hatred is focused on Trump or conservatives.)

30.  We are committed to ensuring full equality for women. Democrats will fight to end gender discrimination in the areas of education, employment, health care, or any other sphere.  (Unless that sphere involves a woman who is pro-life or pro-Trump, fuck those bitches.)

I didn't even make it halfway through that.  I see your grand plan in posting that though.  You figured by the time I found all the crocks of shit that are in it I would come down with Carpel-Tunnel Syndrome and be unable to post here for six months.  Clever, but not clever enough.  I was also hoping for something a little more 2018ish  but I guess since your party has been trodding out the same old Republicans hate (fill in various demographic here) rhetoric since at least the Reagan era I shouldn't have been surprised you served me the 2016 leftovers.

You must have spent a lot of time creating this long cat post that 99% of posters won't read all the way through.

You lost me at "voters don't care about climate change."  No, anti-intellectuals and flat earthers don't care about climate change.  A lot of other people actually do.

A lot of non Ds saying they'll vote straight ticket D because Trump (I'm in this group as well). I wonder of this just a surly phenomenon or if it will move the needle any. I voted in the R primary and voted for the most anti-trump candidate of possible and the trumpers won handily.

Guest Lobo
2 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Yes, we know republicans have done a marvelous job at rigging electoral maps through gerrymandering. Congrats. 

Yeah, well...you're not from Chicago

4 minutes ago, Mole said:

A lot of non Ds saying they'll vote straight ticket D because Trump (I'm in this group as well). I wonder of this just a surly phenomenon or if it will move the needle any. I voted in the R primary and voted for the most anti-trump candidate of possible and the trumpers won handily.

I think this is going to be widespread across the country. I think Republican internal polling already shows it. 

1 hour ago, Hate said:

And yet a lot of other people realize that the climate changes perpetually.

That's adorable. 

I bet you're one of those super witty people who get on Facebook after it snows to post "So much for global warming, libtards."

Not even once. Weather and climate are two different things.

I am aware that in the time before humans my house would be under a couple hundred feet of water because the ice caps had melted and North America had an inland sea dividing it.

2 minutes ago, Hate said:

Not even once. Weather and climate are two different things.

I am aware that in the time before humans my house would be under a couple hundred feet of water because the ice caps had melted and North America had an inland sea dividing it.

That's completely irrelevant to our current predicament.

2 hours ago, Hate said:

And yet a lot of other people realize that the climate changes perpetually.

And even more people, including almost all climatologists, realize that the climate changes perpetually AND we're making it progressively and systematically worse.

2 hours ago, David Dennison said:

I think this is going to be widespread across the country. I think Republican internal polling already shows it. 

I don’t think this is true. If it was, you’d see a lot more Republicans standing up and speaking against Trunp. I’m afraid we’ve both sidesed ourselves over the abyss. 

Trump support is going to be under reported in the polls.  This politics board is a microcosm of the country.  Trump supporters get tired of having their balls busted and listening to political lectures from the anti-Trumpers.  Not tired enough to stop supporting him but tired enough to not tell anyone that might lecture them that they are supporting him.  A lot of Trump supporters are going to tell pollsters they aren't supporting Trump when they really are.  They just want some peace and quiet in their political lives.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I don’t think this is true. If it was, you’d see a lot more Republicans standing up and speaking against Trunp. I’m afraid we’ve both sidesed ourselves over the abyss. 

I speak out against him amongst friends and coworkers, and here. I’m not voting Dem in any election though. I just won’t vote when it concerns Pubs like Trump or Cruz. I think there are a lot like me. 

9 hours ago, NameAlreadyInUse said:

I think it's true to an extent. You don't get 40-something House GOP retirements if the internal polling isn't bad.  However, a lot of these jackasses got into office in 2010-2016 in favorable R years, so this might be their first real race and a lot of them have no idea what to do.  There's been plenty of articles that National GOP is frustrated that these relatively new lawmakers are taking challengers lightly because they're used to being up for re-election with Republican tailwinds at their back.

1 hour ago, EMAWesome said:

Trump support is going to be under reported in the polls.  This politics board is a microcosm of the country.  Trump supporters get tired of having their balls busted and listening to political lectures from the anti-Trumpers.  Not tired enough to stop supporting him but tired enough to not tell anyone that might lecture them that they are supporting him.  A lot of Trump supporters are going to tell pollsters they aren't supporting Trump when they really are.  They just want some peace and quiet in their political lives.

Weak arguments tire easily. 

Harder to display a ton of conviction when it's draped in disingenuousness. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I get it.  When faced with the choice of coming up with better arguments or to lie, Trump supporters will choose the lazy way out and lie.  At least they are emulating their leader.

They sound like disingenuous pussies to me.

11 hours ago, Continental Op said:

Can we go ahead and put the "other" and "undecided" voters in the GOP column since those are probably the Gary Johnson voters who can't seem to stop tossing Trump's salad every time the opportunity presents itself? 

No, because your description is definitely wrong in at least one case.

My Facebook feed says you're nuts.

• Like 1

Straight Democrat for the first time ever. Daniel Crenshaw does seem like a decent guy, but this is where I'm at thanks to Trump and the GOP.

I'm in the 2nd Congressional District and it has been gerrymandered to shit. My Montrose vote won't count for the Congressional District election. Take a look at this fucked up map.
http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Texas's_2nd_congressional_district

The idea of voting for a democrat 10 years ago was laughable to me. In 2008, i was young and dumb and thought Obama and the dems would seriously fuck up our country beyond repair. But as you would have it, 2008-2016 wasn’t too bad. There was no apocalypse. Life went on, mostly for the better as the economy recovered. Sure there was some things that I didn’t agree with it, but all in all those 8 years were a good time to be American and I was proud of the country.

Fast forward to now, and while I’m still proud to be an American, I’m disgusted in our government and with our politicians. Putting any policy aside for a second, Trump is one of the biggest assholes I’ve ever witnessed. He lacks any form of empathy and simply put hes extremely unkind. On policy, his shift to nationalism is disturbing and completely anti-business. Spending millions on the stupid wall is a farce and is against the limited government the GOP supposedly fights for. But the thing that pisses me off the most is that nobody in the GOP (with a few notable exceptions) has stood up to him. He’s shitting all over conservative principles and Cruz and Ryan and crew are hanging on to his coattails. They’re pussies. That’s why I’m voting 100% democrat this year. 

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, mycox said:

Straight Democrat for the first time ever. Daniel Crenshaw does seem like a decent guy, but this is where I'm at thanks to Trump and the GOP.

I'm in the 2nd Congressional District and it has been gerrymandered to shit. My Montrose vote won't count for the Congressional District election. Take a look at this fucked up map.

I know this is fucked up as fuck, because you and I (Montrose/Rice Military) are fucking Congressional neighbors with my folks (Spring) and Wulaw (Kingwood).

1 hour ago, mycox said:

Recent election results from presidential races

Year Results
2000 Bush 63 - 37%
2004 Bush 63 - 36%
2008 McCain 60 - 40%
2012 Romney 63 - 37%
2016 Trump 52 - 43%

I wonder if your district will turn purple or just took a temporary dip because even some Republicans know that dotard sucks. 

12 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

Recent election results from presidential races

Year Results
2000 Bush 63 - 37%
2004 Bush 63 - 36%
2008 McCain 60 - 40%
2012 Romney 63 - 37%
2016 Trump 52 - 43%

I wonder if your district will turn purple or just took a temporary dip because even some Republicans know that dotard sucks. 

I doubt it will turn. Kingwood, Humble, and the north will always vote Republican. You can compare the maps and see exactly what the Republicans are doing. You can see where the red goes with direct correlation. 
http://swamplot.com/where-trump-lost-harris-county-mapped/2016-11-14/

That's what is messed up about the redistricting. The 2nd district voted Democrat until 2005, which was the first time in history a Republican was voted since 1846. Come 2012 they redistrict taking out Beaumont and all of Jefferson County, while adding over million people in white suburbia in north Houston. Also deciding to take portions of inner Houston where they know democrats are vastly outnumbered in the district.

Edited by mycox

For all of the gerrymandering, and HOLEE shite on the 2nd, the Electric 8th is damned near Colorado or Wyoming on the map.

lossless-page1-1280px-Texas_US_Congressi

Edited by slorch

8 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Not just that, but there are a lot of people here who are saying, "Going to vote D for the first time in my life" who will slam the TRUMP! button in the booth in 2020.

Racist fascism is VERY popular and some people will feel like they "did something" by voting for a Democrat dog-catcher in 2018 mid-terms.

"We need more conservative justices... I don't like Trump, but... BAM"

Edited by bad_teammate

Not just that, but there are a lot of people here who are saying, "Going to vote D for the first time in my life" who will slam the TRUMP! button in the booth in 2020.
Racist fascism is VERY popular and some people will feel like they "did something" by voting for a Democrat dog-catcher in 2018 mid-terms.
"We need more conservative justices... I don't like Trump, but... BAM"
I get the feeling you're not on our team