As of today, how do you think you will vote in the midterm election 7/18? POLL

BNB

Midterm Poll  

209 members have voted

1. 1. Are you going to vote primarily Democrat, Republican, Other, or Undecided?

• Republican
    • Democrat
    • Other
    • Undecided

I thought it would be interesting to see a blind poll of how Surly Horns might vote at this point if the election were today.

We can run another one in Oct or November (or every month)to see what the change is.

Edited by BNB

If you think East Texas is bad, West Louisiana isn’t much different.  The democrat running in my congressional district has almost no chance of winning.  He’s a Bernie Bros democrat but I’ll throw him a protest vote.  

We need better candidates on both sides in my area, it’s something I look to work on for the 2020 election.

Edited by Hugo Stiglitz
  • Like 2

Guest Lobo

Voting for Kopser for Congress (Democrat).  Libertarian for most other things except GLO for Comm. Bush.  

And for whoever gets the torch passed from Troxclair.  And Laura Morrison.  

Mostly because I do not and will not support a "progressive" platform like the one Obama tried to shove down our throats, and I know that when the ball swings the other way it won't be good IMO.  I may even become Brisket level unhinged.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hate said:

Mostly because I do not and will not support a "progressive" platform like the one Obama tried to shove down our throats, and I know that when the ball swings the other way it won't be good IMO.  I may even become Brisket level unhinged.  

Yes because what Republicans are shoving down our throats is so fucking great

obama shoved equality. Guess that’s too much for you

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hate said:

What a moronic post.   I didn't figure you for a Trump supporter.   That's a shame. 

8 minutes ago, Hate said:

The only thing that will get Republicans on track to counteract liberal progressive tendencies would be a nice defeat in 2018.  Just enough to get them to realize they can't rely on their own lapdog approach to Trump.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hate said:

Weird, you show up and accuse someone of being a racist.  What are the odds?  

I didn’t have the word racist in my reply lol.

funny that you automatically went there 👀

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mojo Hand said:

What a moronic post.   I didn't figure you for a Trump supporter.   That's a shame. 

Well, here is what I stand for and you tell me how I should vote:

1.  I'm against open borders, but I do support legal immigration.  I did not agree with the "Syrian airlift" that Obama started and that Clinton wanted to double.  

2.  I wouldn't say I support abortion as I think the idea is abhorrent, but I realize that as a society we are probably better off without thousands of unwanted and unsupported kids.

3.  I support "Republican" platforms as far as the economy goes.  I'm not one of those that pretends that Republicans care about the debt more than the Democrats, because neither has shown that they do.  

4.  I didn't agree with the Iran deal or the Paris Climate change deal. 

5.  I didn't agree with the ACA being shoved down our throats.  

6.  I support gay marriage.

7.  I support legal and the decriminalization of other drugs.  I would commute marijuana sentences and turn those empty prison beds into treatment centers.

These are just a few off the top of my head.  

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

I didn’t have the word racist in my reply lol.

funny that you automatically went there 👀

Maybe I've just been conditioned to expect it.  My apologies if that was not your intention.  

I'm an independent, liberal on social issues but fiscally conservative.  I have voted for Democrats, Republicans, and a Libertarian.

I will vote Democrat until all of the Republican incumbents at every level are out.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Hate said:

1.  I'm against open borders, but I do support legal immigration.  I did not agree with the "Syrian airlift" that Obama started and that Clinton wanted to double.  

2.  I wouldn't say I support abortion as I think the idea is abhorrent, but I realize that as a society we are probably better off without thousands of unwanted and unsupported kids.

3.  I support "Republican" platforms as far as the economy goes.  I'm not one of those that pretends that Republicans care about the debt more than the Democrats, because neither has shown that they do.  

7.  I support legal and the decriminalization of other drugs.  I would commute marijuana sentences and turn those empty prison beds into treatment centers.

The ACA was passed by Congress. Expound on how it was shoved down your throat. 

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

So out of 7 items, you agree with the Dems on 4 (and perhaps 5 items).... interesting.

4 minutes ago, Texas73 said:

The ACA was passed by Congress. Expound on how it was shoved down your throat. 

It was "passed" using reconciliation.  It failed to get enough votes to pass through the "normal" channels.  Massachusetts elected a Republican Senator for the first time in 50+ years in part so that he would vote "no" on the ACA.  

19 minutes ago, Hate said:

The Trump victory spurred the Dems to think about where they are going -- they aren't near figuring that out, and the war between traditionalists and progressives is going to be bloody. 

IMO you have listed a few items that won't happen unless you throw out the current Republicans.  If you really care about "core" Republican values, you'd be better off sending them a message in 2018 that they can't just be complacent in Texas - they actually do have to think about the economy and trade and perhaps some libertarian ideas.

7 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

I'm an independent, liberal on social issues but fiscally conservative.  I have voted for Democrats, Republicans, and a Libertarian.

I will vote Democrat until all of the Republican incumbents at every level are out.

Yeah, this is where I'm at.  It's kind of a shame that destroying the current GOP has to imply support for aspects of the Democratic platform.  My first target is incumbents, second is Republicans.

6 minutes ago, Pancho Negro said:

Republicans don’t support gay marriage

Neither did Obama or Clinton until the pendulum had swung nationwide in support of it. 

Edited by Hate

Just now, Hate said:

Neither did Obama or Clinton until the pendulum has swung nationwide in support of it. 

Yep and yet with the pendulum swinging for support nation wide, republicans are still doubling down on eroding gay marriage.  At least Obama and Hillary changed their minds. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Hate said:

I would say you are more Libertarian than Republican.

1 minute ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

I'm voting against every incumbent on my ballot, which means I'm probably voting straight ticket D since I'm in Texas. 

This is where I am at. The incumbents need a brushback pitch from the constituents. And a few of them need one right in the fucking ear. 

41 minutes ago, Hate said:

You should vote straight party Democrat nationally to split the government.  Dems controlling Congress and Trump/Pence in the White House means none of the extreme measures on either side will happen.  Then you can reevaluate in 2020.

Voting straight R keeps the entire government in Trump's hands and makes no sense for anyone but a rabid Trump supporter. 

• Like 7

1 minute ago, Mojo Hand said:

You should vote straight party Democrat nationally to split the government.  Dems controlling Congress and Trump/Pence in the White House means none of the extreme measures on either side will happen.  Then you can reevaluate in 2020.

Voting straight R keeps the entire government in Trump's hands and makes no sense for anyone but a rabid Trump supporter. 

This is an exceptional point. Remember - early October 2016, when it looked like Hillary would win, even the national GOP started running on "split your ticket, keep the government honest! Don't let Congress just be a rubber stamp for President Hillary Clinton!"

Practice what you preach.

21 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

How should a guy like me vote, what is my party? I'm so confused in 2018 that I can't figure it out and I'll let Surly decide:

- I'm for responsible gun reform

- I'm for responsible immigration laws

- I'm Pro-life, against nearly all forms of abortion

- I consider GLBT a sin, at best, and mental illness in some instances

- I make a decent amount of money compared to most people and would like to keep it as opposed to be taxed

- I'd prefer to determine for myself how to give my money to organizations and people as opposed to having it taken through entitlements

- I have top 1% healthcare through my employer already and a multi-million dollar life insurance policy so would not like to pay for ACA or other universal healthcare mandate type stuff.

- I'm anti-trade war or whatever this tariff nonsense has been

- I think Trump is a weirdo autist and while he makes me laugh, it's mostly unintentional.

- I would prefer a head of state who was "Presidential"

- I liked George W. and Obama equally and do not think Trump is a Nazi

Again, voting straight D means voting for split government, where neither party can do what their extremes want.  Anybody who is moderate or even conflicted should go all D for this reason.    You then have until 2020 to decide how to vote with the WH on the ballot too. 

39 minutes ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Hate, from that list, you should vote Democrat. Democrats aren’t for open borders, that’s a fake fox news talking point. You should feel comfortable voting for a democrat with your list. Of course you won’t, but at least we can try. 

Bullshit, but you go on and believe your little lie.

Just now, SubliminalHorn said:

Can you point to me in the Democratic platform where it supports open borders? Or is this just a lie you’ve allowed yourself to be brainwashed by amongst many other things?

You can talk to rank and file democrats who are for it all day.  The paltform may not have it as a stated position,  but it's one they're typically sympathetic to.

35 minutes ago, OatmealRaisinCookie said:

How should a guy like me vote, what is my party? I'm so confused in 2018 that I can't figure it out and I'll let Surly decide:

- I'm for responsible gun reform

- I'm for responsible immigration laws

- I'm Pro-life, against nearly all forms of abortion

- I consider GLBT a sin, at best, and mental illness in some instances

- I make a decent amount of money compared to most people and would like to keep it as opposed to be taxed

- I'd prefer to determine for myself how to give my money to organizations and people as opposed to having it taken through entitlements

- I have top 1% healthcare through my employer already and a multi-million dollar life insurance policy so would not like to pay for ACA or other universal healthcare mandate type stuff.

- I'm anti-trade war or whatever this tariff nonsense has been

- I think Trump is a weirdo autist and while he makes me laugh, it's mostly unintentional.

- I would prefer a head of state who was "Presidential"

- I liked George W. and Obama equally and do not think Trump is a Nazi

Vote straight ticket Dem to split government and prevent anything crazy from happening. Reevaluate in 2020. If Trump wins the primary, vote Democrat for President unless they nominate someone crazier (unlikely, but possible). Evaluate your House and Senate choices as they may arise. Seems like you're a standard very conservative, religious Republican but have become disillusioned due to your party going batshit in response to Obama getting elected and then more batshit in '16. 

Assuming you live in Texas, you should read the state GOP platform. Their beliefs go well beyond anti LGBT. They are anti sex ed still along with a host of other outdated beliefs. If you read the platform and still agree with them, by all means pull the R lever. I will be voting straight dem and I’m somebody that voted for GWB twice, McCain, and Romney.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Hate said:

Neither did Obama or Clinton until the pendulum had swung nationwide in support of it. 

That has nothing to do with republicans not being for gay marriage. 

But okay, thank you. 

3 minutes ago, Onboard 2.0 said:

You can talk to rank and file democrats who are for it all day.  The paltform may not have it as a stated position,  but it's one they're typically sympathetic to.

Ah ok so you’ve been watching too much fox news again. Got it. 

Just now, Onboard 2.0 said:

Never watch Fox News, but thanks for playing.  Run along now. 

LOL you’re the one that ran here crying about Democrats wanting open borders then when asked for real proof you couldn’t. Go finish watching fox and friends for the day so you can form more wrong beliefs. 

• Haha 1

The surprise for me is how early I’ve made up my mind. I voted for different parties in many elections, and I’ve actually been driving to the polling place without knowing who I was gonna pull the lever for when I got there. This is the first time in forever that I know that I’m gonna be voting Democrat all over the place months from now.  

50 minutes ago, Hate said:

It was "passed" using reconciliation.  It failed to get enough votes to pass through the "normal" channels.  Massachusetts elected a Republican Senator for the first time in 50+ years in part so that he would vote "no" on the ACA.  

The Senate did not use reconciliation to pass the Affordable Care Act. It was filibustered and 60 votes were needed for cloture.

You are thinking of a different bill, the Health Care and Education Reconciliation Act of 2010, which passed one week after the ACA.