1 score games in the Sark era....

perfectchaos007

2 hours ago, Vermin said:

Eh, probably mostly bad luck. Handicappers don't consider a 1 point loss or 1 point win much differently.

Mack had an absurd streak of success in 1-score games, but eventually his luck ran out.

For this year and next at least this is my take. He’s got a roster now on the field that leaves no excuse.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Final margins of 8 points or less, here's where Texas is under Sark 

2021: 2-5
2022: 2-5
2023: 0-1

Overall: 4-11

If we aren't winning big, we're probably losing.

Another wat to look at this is the first two hears he was coach he had 7 close games. This year he's had 1 (while winning all non-close games). That seems like a pretty damn good trajectory to me.

• Hook 'Em 3

33 minutes ago, Serak The Preparer said:

Another wat to look at this is the first two hears he was coach he had 7 close games. This year he's had 1 (while winning all non-close games). That seems like a pretty damn good trajectory to me.

Yeah, it's really a made-up, statistically insignificant statistic that the Sark haters love to drag out.

• Like 1

Lol I'm not a "Sark Hater", but a 4-11 record at Texas in one score games isn't just bad luck. Sark has done great on the recruiting trail, and that has given our team more blowout wins this season so games haven't come down to the last possession. We'll see what happens when we get to the SEC and play more teams that can match our talent level. Eventually, Sark needs to start turning around that stat if he wants to be our coach for the next decade+ 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, perfectchaos007 said:

Lol I'm not a "Sark Hater", but a 4-11 record at Texas in one score games isn't just bad luck. Sark has done great on the recruiting trail, and that has given our team more blowout wins this season so games haven't come down to the last possession. We'll see what happens when we get to the SEC and play more teams that can match our talent level. Eventually, Sark needs to start turning around that stat if he wants to be our coach for the next decade+ 

First year he had a shit roster. Last year better. It’s time to put up or shut up but it’s hard to say 0-1 here when he beat Bama by double digits something that just doesn’t happen there.

2 hours ago, perfectchaos007 said:

I know you aren't. I kind of expected them to swarm in here and start barking about seven win Steve or similar. 

The thing is, a fair number of those losses probably should not have been one-score games, we should have gotten our asses kicked more thoroughly. 

Sark is a great play designer. One of the best in the business. He’s not a great play caller in my opinion. He gets too cute yet too stubborn. His scripting at the beginning of games is dreadful at times. He’s also pretty bad at clock management. He would benefit from a play caller that he trusts, but I doubt he will ever turn over the reigns. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Herman never had a losing season at Texas. 

Without covid, Herman would have had 2 ten-win seasons im his first 4 seasons

so far, Herman is a better coach than Sark, based on results. It pains me to type that

Well, its well documented Sark has never coached a team to 10 wins as a head coach. Getting a team to 10 wins is his next head coaching milestone, and he still has a good opportunity to achieve it this season 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

Sark is a great play designer. One of the best in the business. He’s not a great play caller in my opinion. He gets too cute yet too stubborn. His scripting at the beginning of games is dreadful at times. He’s also pretty bad at clock management. He would benefit from a play caller that he trusts, but I doubt he will ever turn over the reigns. 

Probably some truth to this.  Still, I don't think he had these kinds of problems (but don't know) at Alabama, with his Alabama rosters and execution.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Probably some truth to this.  Still, I don't think he had these kinds of problems (but don't know) at Alabama, with his Alabama rosters and execution.

When he had 5* at every position on offense and a Saban led a 5* laden defense? I suspect he did not.

Can he assemble that sort of talent at TEXAS? Remains to be seen. AFAIK, only UGA has gotten close to that level of total talent. Sark has gotten the big pieces in place (QB, LT, DE) already though, and is doing well on the recruiting trail.

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

When he had 5* at every position on offense and a Saban led a 5* laden defense? I suspect he did not.

Can he assemble that sort of talent at TEXAS? Remains to be seen. AFAIK, only UGA has gotten close to that level of total talent. Sark has gotten the big pieces in place (QB, LT, DE) already though, and is doing well on the recruiting trail.

I think Sark is an above average recruiter but you have to be an outright asshole to not recruit well here. Hell even Herman’s first couple of classes were highly rated 

After good night sleep I wake up realizing we lost to a likely top 6 (when rankings come out) team on basically last play of game on a day we didn't play near our best and injuries were a factor.

We've also played and beaten some good teams along the way. The season is still on track to be great, I'm going to let it play out before letting any doom and gloom thoughts set in.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think Sark is an above average recruiter but you have to be an outright asshole to not recruit well here. Hell even Herman’s first couple of classes were highly rated 

Well in addition to just getting big names, which we've always been pretty good at for the reasons you note, Sarkco seems to be filling needs better than past coaches and developing.

I don't know that he needs Alabama style 5* across the board, but I'm not sure the OL is quite where he or we want it, particularly with injuries, although it is getting better.  And I'm not exactly sure Ewers is ideal in terms of consistency.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Well in addition to just getting big names, which we've always been pretty good at for the reasons you note, Sarkco seems to be filling needs better than past coaches and developing.

I don't know that he needs Alabama style 5* across the board, but I'm not sure the OL is quite where he or we want it, particularly with injuries, although it is getting better.  And I'm not exactly sure Ewers is ideal in terms of consistency.

I typed something similar, but couldn’t word it as well I wanted so I deleted it. You said what I intended.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

This is the dumbest stat ever. I hate it. It is meaningless.

It's like Tiger Woods come from behind wins in majors. 15 Majors and 82 tour wins and we are on about that one dumb stat. If Sark finishes the year 0-1 in one score games and no more losses I think we all are happy.

Anyone saying Sark needs to hire a play caller clearly doesn’t understand why we hired him.  His calling is his biggest strength and he’s pretty damn good at it.  His struggles have been adjustments and clock management.  He has improved dramatically with adjustments as can be seen with how well our team plays in the 2nd half.  Yesterday was a classic example of him still needing to grow in managing he game.  We should have been waiting till 3 seconds to snap the ball on every play on that last drive and we were running tempo at times.  He needs to expand his staff and have a guy that simply handles clock and game management for him.  This game was tough to watch.  We clearly played poorly yet we’re 1 defensive collapse from winning a game we clearly shouldn’t have.  Sark bailed us out plenty of times with good play calls.  Players did not execute yesterday and generally got their butts whipped.  It was clear which team wanted it more yesterday.  All of this will get fixed the next two weeks in practice.  This is a 10-2 team.  I would have been happy with that when the year started.  They can still win the rest of the game but the team cannot sleep walk through quarters in these games.  That needs to be corrected asap.

• Hook 'Em 1

52 minutes ago, victory88 said:

Anyone saying Sark needs to hire a play caller clearly doesn’t understand why we hired him.  His calling is his biggest strength and he’s pretty damn good at it.  His struggles have been adjustments and clock management.  He has improved dramatically with adjustments as can be seen with how well our team plays in the 2nd half.  Yesterday was a classic example of him still needing to grow in managing he game.  We should have been waiting till 3 seconds to snap the ball on every play on that last drive and we were running tempo at times.  He needs to expand his staff and have a guy that simply handles clock and game management for him.  This game was tough to watch.  We clearly played poorly yet we’re 1 defensive collapse from winning a game we clearly shouldn’t have.  Sark bailed us out plenty of times with good play calls.  Players did not execute yesterday and generally got their butts whipped.  It was clear which team wanted it more yesterday.  All of this will get fixed the next two weeks in practice.  This is a 10-2 team.  I would have been happy with that when the year started.  They can still win the rest of the game but the team cannot sleep walk through quarters in these games.  That needs to be corrected asap.

Agree to disagree I guess. His biggest strength to me is on the whiteboard (designing an offense).  He's elite. He's a wizard with using motion and formation to get his guys the most favorable match ups.  But if we are talking actually picking plays in-game , reacting to what the defense is doing in the moment (or even scripting the beginning of games), I don't think he's elite.  He seems rather average, and I think he might benefit from a talented partner/underling that can pursue more of a "let's take what the defense gives us in the confines of this offense" approach during games.  In fact, I read on another board that the Washington coaches said this was Sark's biggest weakness and they used it against him in the Alamo bowl.  He's too stubborn/prideful at times to just take what the defense is offering.  

But I agree there is no way he's handing over the keys to the sports car he designed to someone else.  It's his baby, and that's what we got when we hired him.  

Edited by bschoolprof

12 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

Herman never had a losing season at Texas. 

Without covid, Herman would have had 2 ten-win seasons im his first 4 seasons

so far, Herman is a better coach than Sark, based on results. It pains me to type that

Herman made it through Red River with less than 2 losses exactly once just like Sark. Herman was 1-4 vs non con P5 teams and Sark is 1-2 currently with Arkansas being the only indefensible. With the Bama/Georgia wins canceling each other out I think they're in the same exact spot. Through their 3rd OU game which coaches trajectory feels/felt like it was trending correctly? For me that's Sark without a doubt. 

2 hours ago, victory88 said:

This. 

but its also a pretty big indictment of Sarks coaching “ability” because hes in year 3 and still hasnt realized this

13 hours ago, bschoolprof said:

His scripting at the beginning of games is dreadful at times.

It is horrible in just about every game. 

Our first play at Houston on 10/21 will be a pass behind the line of scrimmage to a stationary receiver for a loss. You can bet your life on it.