NBA 2023-24

shadow_operative

6 hours ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Most definitely true.  They have as good of a young core three as anyone.  (SGA, Chet, and the good Jalen Williams.)  They can commit to those three and wheel, deal, and draft everyone else.

As for this season, however, they're an odd team to be a title contender.  If they're hitting their shots and 3's, they can beat anyone.  I know you can say that about anyone but they can put out a lineup of excellent shooters.  However, they can be streaky and if they're not hitting, they're still small and thin and can't rebound.

They should hand over five picks for Markkanen. Go all in now.

The Toronto Raptors are finalizing a trade to send OG Anunoby to the New York Knicks for a package that includes RJ Barrett, Immanuel Quickley and a second-round pick, sources told ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski on Saturday.

The Raptors will receive a 2024 second-round selection that the Knicks previously acquired from the Detroit Pistons, sources said. The Knicks are also getting forward Precious Achiuwa as part of the deal, sources said.

Anunoby has spent his seven-year career with the Raptors since he was a first-round pick in 2017. He was part of Toronto's title-winning team in 2019 and has upped his defensive prowess, leading the NBA in steals last season while being named to the All-Defensive second team.

that's an interesting move.  last year toronto wanted multiple first round picks for OG and now they trade him without receiving a single first.  though I suppose it could be argued that barrett is better than getting some late first and if that second round pick is actually detroit's then it should be the first pick of the second round.

Precious and Quickly are both RFAs after this season. I assume both will get qualifying offers. 

OG is likely a free agent and will decline that 19m player option. I would guess he's looking to get about 30m a year for 4 years. 

RJ Barrett still has 3 years and 80m left on his deal. Not sure how valuable he is around the league at that price.

Seems like a decent trade to me, I'm sure the Knicks didn't want all that money tied up in RJ. I know he's only 23, but he's not really showing signs of living up to his extension yet.  Pretty average for a third option, and not great efficiency. Maybe the Raptors can develop him into a better trade asset in 2 years. 

I’m going to go against the grain and say i like what the Rapts did. I think RJ is a player that Thibs never bought into and doesn’t fit his system. I think he will have a pretty strong second half (22+ ppg). They also picked up Quickley, who can be a better shooting VanVleet and should be a starter the rest of the way.

Overall they got 2 players who can help them win and only gave up OG, who is never going to be a 1 or a 2 (or maybe even a 3) on a championship team.

18 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I’m going to go against the grain and say i like what the Rapts did. I think RJ is a player that Thibs never bought into and doesn’t fit his system. I think he will have a pretty strong second half (22+ ppg). They also picked up Quickley, who can be a better shooting VanVleet and should be a starter the rest of the way.

Overall they got 2 players who can help them win and only gave up OG, who is never going to be a 1 or a 2 (or maybe even a 3) on a championship team.

I didnt know this was against the grain.   I think TOR CLEARLY won the trade.   I dont totally get how it makes the Knicks better other than gives them cap flexibility in the offseason.    Meanwhile TOR gets a young player that can avg 20 and potential 6MOY guy for someone that would probably leave in the summer.

11 hours ago, MirrOlure said:

So in all the hoopla of the Pistons finally winning a game I learned that some clown named Monty Williams is the highest paid coach in the history of basketball. Dude should be put in prison. Fucking criminal.

Why?  He didnt hold a gun to anyone's head and make them offer him that contract.   You're mad at the wrong dude. Blame Gores and/or Troy Weaver.   More importantly, they had no real desire to win this yr.   They may not have wanted to be historically bad but they sure as hell werent trying to win with that roster.

• Like 1

Wait Steph was 22nd?!?!?!?   Haliburton not even on the list?!!?! Man GTFOH.   If your rating system comes up with these rankings then its broken.  

Edited by d2o

Posted (edited)

lol this this list is terrible too. jalen green ahead of cunningham, giddey, and mobley is hilariously bad. there are also people who think that herb jones is the best perimeter defender in the nba, which is worth more than anything i’ve seen from green.

Edited by shadow_operative

1 hour ago, MNLonghornFUKM said:

I’m watching OKC vs Boston on league pass. I don’t think Jaylin Williams has missed a shot in a week

Same, I don't know if they should even make a trade.  They can make the WCC finals or  at least have a good shot this year, then see what you really need for the next couple of years. 

I say that because I don't think they have a real shot this year but holy fuck they've been on absolute fire and a blast to watch. 

Sam Presti has always been obsessed with position less basketball, which is fine, but the first iteration was KD, Russ, and a bunch of good defensive guys who had the offensive skill level of a high school team.  This time around, they got about 8-9 guys who are three level scorers, can get up and down the floor, and are solid (if not willing) defenders.  If they're hitting their shots, they can beat anyone but if not, they get shoved around and out rebounded but to your point, they recently beat MN and Denver are both bigger and more physical teams.

They'll be interesting in the second half of the season.  They have a bunch of guys who, until last season, had never played a full 82 games for a variety of reasons.  (Tanking, covid, injuries, etc.)  What do they look like in March?  

Back on Shai's turnaround.  Basically a replica of Kobe and Jordan:

4 hours ago, Macklemore said:

Does everyone realize the goal is still to lose as many games as possible?  Taking takes multiple years.  Best case scenario is they lose a shit load this year, get a high draft pick to go with Wemby, and then build around the two of them and at that point, start to win.